Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2024 2:43:59 PM EDT
Loading some 9mm on my 550 with my cast and powder coated bullets today, and I start getting some shaving when

seating bullets from not enough flare. I adjusted the die down 1/8 turn or so, all seems good for 8-10 reloads, then I

get a couple with little to no flare. Repeat the adjust process and same thing, 8-10 rounds ok, then scraping PC and

lead. Went through this 5 or so times so in total I’ve adjusted the die more than half a turn. I’m using mixed brass so

that could be a contributing factor. Looking for advice on what to look for. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 2:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#1]
Are you trimming your brass?  

I don't usually trim my 9mm constantly but I have found that because there will be a decent variation in oal, this caused the flaring to be totally random and I'll get issues like that.  

I shoot a decent amount of 9mm and every 1.5-2 years ill set my 650 to trim my 9mm down to a standard length and call it good for 2 years
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No I am not trimming brass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I am tightening the lock nut. Also, with the powder measure clamped to the die it should be obvious if the die

backed off since the PM would rotate with it and the fail safe rod would no longer be straight up and down. I have had

to adjust it before, but maybe every thousand rounds or so, not every 10-20.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 4:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#5]
I'll note that when I use mixed range brass not all cases will flare equally and occasionally I will get a case that barely flares.

This is due to different case manufacturing lengths I presume.

Adjust your die and try multiple brands in your mixed bag of brass until they all flare.

Not sure if this could be your issue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
@Bashby

Aside from the brass length variation- which is very likely the biggest culprit- the type of lock ring used can be an issue too.

If the ring doesn't have a setscrew (Hornady, RCBS, etc.) or o-ring (Lee), they can- and will loosen- enough that you won't notice right away. IME, Dillon rings are notorious for it.

What I do that takes the issue away is load the shell plate completely and tighten all lock rings and powder measure while a piece of brass is in the die. This takes away any 'slop'. By doing this, I haven't had the lock ring problem in quite awhile.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot a decent amount of 9mm and every 1.5-2 years ill set my 650 to trim my 9mm down to a standard length and call it good for 2 years
View Quote

I might be dense....but how do you trim 9MM X 19 brass on Dillon XL 650?

Link Posted: 9/19/2024 6:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bashby] [#8]
I think I found the problem. Was loading more 9mm and it stopped dropping powder. Found a screw on the powder measure had fallen out.It must have been unscrewed all the way and the outer aluminum arm that it passes through was bending out, I had to straighten it to get the screw to line back up with the threaded hole. Kinda hard to explain but it was the screw that I have the Allen wrench in. Now that I have it back where it’s supposed to be it is way over flaring the brass. Attachment Attached File

Now I have a bunch of ammo to disassemble, I think I have a couple with no powder.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorta on/off topic…

I can’t recommend enough the new Lee Ultimate Lock Rings.

Worth every penny and are a massive upgrade from the Dillon lock rings.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bashby:
I think I found the problem. Was loading more 9mm and it stopped dropping powder. Found a screw on the powder measure had fallen out.It must have been unscrewed all the way and the outer aluminum arm that it passes through was bending out, I had to straighten it to get the screw to line back up with the threaded hole. Kinda hard to explain but it was the screw that I have the Allen wrench in. Now that I have it back where it's supposed to be it is way over flaring the brass. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451123/image_jpg-3326865.JPG
Now I have a bunch of ammo to disassemble, I think I have a couple with no powder.
View Quote
That screw is asking for some blue Locktite on the threads  I think it has a nylon locknut on it.

On the early version Dillon PM that screw threads into the aluminum housing. Dillon swapped out my old PM for the new version for free and commented the screw into the housing will strip out eventually. Looks like you have the latest version with the nylon locknut.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Dillon has Steel Lock Rings now in addition to the zinc ones.  The Dillon wrench works well for to tighten down their lock rings.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 1:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 243winxb] [#12]
Loose screw found. Great detective work.

You need an  M type expander/funnel.  Works wirh brass of different lengths.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
My 550 is fairly old and well used.  Several of the threaded holes are approaching their service limit.  Threads in aluminum suck, zinc, too.

The two screws for the primer assembly is one spot.  The other place is the two screws that hold the powder funnel to the powder die.  These are wear points when changing calibers.

Should I install helicoils or buy replacement parts or...?
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top