Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2024 12:50:09 AM EDT

I'm thinking about trying some 69gr bthp but only have experience with their pistol bullets.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
A quick google search found these:

Here is the first thread on this bullet, https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Anyone-loaded-the-RMR-69gr-bullets-/42-522797/

And the second, https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Reloading-69-gr-RMR-step-inside-and-give-me-your-opinions-/42-524365/

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The 69gr shoot ok. They are no where near a Sierra Matchking. They shoot in a very tight window of pressure. I consider them a 1.5moa bullet at best.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've switched to using their 75gr hpbt as my bulk loading bullet. The same powder charge as with 77gr tmk gets me a similar poi. While I've shot a few sub moa groups I'd agree that it's a solid 1.5moa bullet
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#4]
24.2 grains TAC

69RMR

Works great in my competition Service Rifle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve found the 75 to be more accurate than the 69 in my limited testing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]
24 grains of Tac with either the 69 or 75 makes a great load that works in multiple rifles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I ended up ordering some 69gr match monsters from midsouth (rebranded nosler) for 18 cents a piece.

It seems to many people don't have consistent results with RMR.  I already have plenty of bulk blasting bullets I want an "affordable" match bullet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend has good luck with their 69gr bullet. I'm currently using their 3GH and it does great for the money.

Is it 'better' than SMKs or NCCs? That's for you to decide. For my shooting needs, RMR offers a great value and I feel good supporting them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My Geissele SD shot a 1.2” group with the 69s with no load development. Took it to 600yds with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
No experience wit RMR but 69 grain seems pointless to me.  55s work very well out to 400, maybe 500 yards, more than that just use  the 75s or 77s.

Current hotness in my reloading room.

Hornady 75 bthp 24.4 g TAC
Hornady 55g FMJbt 25 g TAC
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By owlless:
No experience wit RMR but 69 grain seems pointless to me.  55s work very well out to 400, maybe 500 yards, more than that just use  the 75s or 77s.

Current hotness in my reloading room.

Hornady 75 bthp 24.4 g TAC
Hornady 55g FMJbt 25 g TAC
View Quote

The point is precision.  I have other calibers if I want to shoot past 600 yards. My most accurate .223 load by far was with TAC and 69gr Nosler BTHP CC.

I tried some GMM 77 SMK's and my rifles shot them like crap (the 3 I tested).
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Just loaded another 200 this am with 25.3 varget
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Are you saying you believe 55 grain ball bullets shoot with the same accuracy at 300+ as the 69 RMR's?

Nothing wrong with the heavier bullets either.

Keep in mind too that the 69's were available from RMR long before the 75's came along. I might try some of the 75's after I finish shooting the many thousand 69's I have. The 69's are very accurate in my rifle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I mean, the RMR was originally designed for a rifle. So there's that...
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

Are you saying you believe 55 grain ball bullets shoot with the same accuracy at 300+ as the 69 RMR's?

Nothing wrong with the heavier bullets either.

Keep in mind too that the 69's were available from RMR long before the 75's came along. I might try some of the 75's after I finish shooting the many thousand 69's I have. The 69's are very accurate in my rifle.
View Quote

I doubt the the FMJ BT would up against a match 69.

I suppose I'm biased because of the type of things I do.  If I'm doing 3 gun or tactical style rifle I use 55s and they are good on ipsc style (and other big) targets out to 400.  

Otherwise it's longer range so I go with the 75 or 77.  They are also accurate so can do double duty for more precise shooting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive found the 69s to be the equal of the SMKs.  I tested with Varget, TAC, CFE 223, and 8208.  8208 was the best choice.  Probably going to test AA2520 and Staball Match next as Im running short on 8208.
I have not shot the 75s as I have several 1000 of the 69s to shoot yet.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:
Ive found the 69s to be the equal of the SMKs.  I tested with Varget, TAC, CFE 223, and 8208.  8208 was the best choice.  Probably going to test AA2520 and Staball Match next as Im running short on 8208.
I have not shot the 75s as I have several 1000 of the 69s to shoot yet.  
View Quote

I like AA2520.  I ended up using TAC a lot because it does so many things so well.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#18]

I like AA2520.  I ended up using TAC a lot because it does so many things so well.

View Quote

2520 is also an excellent powder for any 5.56 to 7.62 application.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
In my testing of the 69 gr RMR HPBT, I found them to be a 1 1/2 MOA to 2 MOA bullet.  

In context, this is more accurate than the inexpensive FMJ bullets on the market.  

That improved accuracy is obtained at a price comparable to the FMJ's.  So, for the money spent, you get better accuracy.

The RMR is not as accurate as the Hornady HPBT-M bullet, although the Hornady does cost a bit more than the RMR.  The Hornady is good for 3/4 MOA in my testing.

The RMR is NOT as accurate as the 69 gr to 80 gr Sierra Matchkings, but the SMKs cost a lot more.  The Sierras are good for at least 1/2 MOA in my tests, with that limit set by my inability to shoot any better.  

So, the RMR is a fine bullet as an alternative to the common 55 FMJ's.  They are relatively inexpensive and "fly" a little better (longer distances and more accurate).
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Typical with my bolt gun....

I bought another 2 k this morning.  I would not have purchased if they shot over 1.25"

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Acman:

Distance?  set up?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:
Acman:

Distance?  set up?
View Quote

100 yards

Shot with my old savage tactical with redfield 6-18 pictured here with my brothers much more modern savage tactical he has a lot more scope too...
Concrete bench and meh stools

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
They shoot really well in my Tikka 22-250. I've also shot several sub MOA groups in my ARs. Not all are MOA but enough that I'll keep shooting them.
Are they an SMK? No. You aren't paying SMK prices either. I do believe unless you have a very accurate rifle and are consistently shooting sub MOA, that you'll never know the difference.

Nust to add. I know everyone here can shoot MOA all day but honestly most people can't shoot MOA consistently enough to know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The best I’ve had the 69 RMR shoot is right around 1” 5 shot groups, as seen above (probably 1.25-1.5” 10 shot groups). I’ve had consistently better accuracy with the Hornady 55 gr SPBT bullet, and I think it’s cheaper than the 69 RMR.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 1Coyote-conquest:
They shoot really well in my Tikka 22-250. I've also shot several sub MOA groups in my ARs. Not all are MOA but enough that I'll keep shooting them.
Are they an SMK? No. You aren't paying SMK prices either. I do believe unless you have a very accurate rifle and are consistently shooting sub MOA, that you'll never know the difference.

Nust to add. I know everyone here can shoot MOA all day but honestly most people can't shoot MOA consistently enough to know.
View Quote

That is so true i've shot a little bit with people on arfcom.  

Never have i seen anyone shoot .3 ~ .6 groups with an ar ........ not even once.

I struggle to consistently shoot an ar below 1" with any real consistency bolt guns i'm a little better with.

It's been about 15 years ago i shot full 12 oz cokes at 325 yards with an ar in front of people on arfcom so i'm not afraid to take the pepsi challenge.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Acman:

Appreciate the further info................. !
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#27]
Originally Posted By acman145acp:

I bought another 2 k this morning.  I would not have purchased if they shot over 1.25"

https://i.imgur.com/4FsP1kJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HzWHTU3.jpg
View Quote

I can work with that.  Unfortunately I have several inputs saying accuracy is "meh" - 1.5 MOA for a match bullet isn't that good.  And now your good tests that say it IS good and MOA able.

But then, I run a 20" HBAR NM with a bullet like that.  So are most people's tests where they say 1.5 MOA, Anderson light BBL M4's?

Also, there's the grouping in a few five shot groups.  And then there is the 1990's Hornady curse of "a flyer in every box" - are these at risk of that?
You bolt action results are encouraging.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

And then there is the 1990's Hornady curse of "a flyer in every box" - are these at risk of that?
View Quote

I chuckled when I read that because its a little bit too true.  Shoot a 10 shot group, 8-9 land nice, and 1-2 eff off an inch.  I just write them off as exactly that, the Hornady flier curse.
Dont get me wrong, I shoot a ton of Hornady bullets, especially in my AR10 because the 168 BTHPs shoot well enough at a cheap enough price to knock down steel at 600 yards, but I dont depend on them when I have to shoot for score.
Ive seen it less with Sierras, and very seldom with Bergers.  

As far as the RMRs go?  Yeah, I get an occasional flier, but Ive found them to be pretty dependable for a 15 cent bullet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#29]
The RMR 69's are very accurate in my rifle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:30:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: acman145acp] [#30]
Double phone tap
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#31]

I can work with that.  Unfortunately I have several inputs saying accuracy is "meh" - 1.5 MOA for a match bullet isn't that good.  And now your good tests that say it IS good and MOA able.

But then, I run a 20" HBAR NM with a bullet like that.  So are most people's tests where they say 1.5 MOA, Anderson light BBL M4's?

Also, there's the grouping in a few five shot groups.  And then there is the 1990's Hornady curse of "a flyer in every box" - are these at risk of that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By acman145acp:

https://i.imgur.com/4FsP1kJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HzWHTU3.jpg

I can only tell you my results in the guns i have available.

Do i think these are better er than smk’s no.

But my regular shooting spot is only 200 yards.

I wouldn’t have bought more of these if they didn’t shoot better than hornady 55gr sp my general  practice load in an ar.

I have plenty of 77 smk on hand if for the odd time i get to shoot long distances so wouldn’t be a need if the 69rmr werent pretty good.

I shot the 69 rmr last year at 4&500 on steel and was impressed.

As far as others results all i can tell u is hornady 68 match bullets shot like crap in my ars with tac and cfe all i tested so it would be like black magic for me to see that bullet shoot sub moa out of an ar.

I’ve read more than 1 person say they do it  so idk…..: maybe barrels can be that different.

I shoot outside paris Texas pretty regular you would be welcome to try my ammo my guns my ammo your guns if you like.

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By acman145acp:  I struggle to consistently shoot an ar below 1" with any real consistency bolt guns i'm a little better with.
View Quote

Knowing my test results and seeing yours, above, I think this may explain the dichotomy.  

Yours are the more accurate results and yours are from a bolt action, whereas, mine and others are from an AR.  AR's just seem to move more than a bolt action when firing.

I am confident in my saying they are not as accurate as SMKs because I was shooting groups of both during the tests.  After seeing the larger RMR groups, I thought it might be me.  The next group was SMK and showed it wasn't me.  The subsequent RMR groups were as big as the first and were always larger than the subsequent SMK groups.

Mine is a heavy, long, Krieger-barreled AR match rifle.  I don't have a bolt action 223.  I was using TAC.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Remember, most guns will show a preference for one bullet or another.

Or perhaps not so much a “preference,” but rather a “DISLIKE” for certain bullets.

Does this sound reasonable?

Experiment.

If you find a certain bullet provides no significant improvement in accuracy for your purposes, you don’t have to keep overpaying.

In general, a good bullet through a good barrel will produce good results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top