Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2024 8:47:19 AM EDT
What's considered the best current semi/pump bullpup shottie?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
Great question!
I cant even think of s non turkish made semiauto bullpup shotgun…and there seem to be dozens of those that no one really can say if they are good or not.
Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

The Tavor TS12 appears to be the only semiauto bullpup worth considering so far, still researching and am open to suggestions!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Great question!

I cant even think of s non turkish made semiauto bullpup shotgun…and there seem to be dozens of those that no one really can say if they are good or not.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Is the Tavor TS-12 turkish?  

Mine runs like a raped ape.  No ragerts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

View Quote

Isn't that an IWI product?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mini14jac] [#5]
I had a KS7 pump that I liked.
My daughter wanted it after she shot it so it’s hers now.

I had a Tokarev semiautomatic.
I think it was $275 delivered to my FFL.

Bought it because it had some good reviews on YouTube.
I only shot 100 rounds through it but it ran great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 4:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#7]
Have shot a few, may pick up one of these for kicks.
RevArms

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If you believe the IWI marketing guys, every gun and configuration they come up with goes through 20k round testing cycle.   I doubt if you combined all the testing rounds for every single turkish semiauto shotgun on the market that they would hit 20k rounds of testing.  Turkey says if it shoots 3 in a row, it passes.  Ship it!
https://youtu.be/GnnLQwaQ62M?t=142
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I wanted to like the IWI TS-12, but it just seemed too bulky, and gripping the side by side tubes felt weird.  I ended up getting a pump S&W M&P 12 to feed my desire to try a bullpup shotty.  It’s OK.  I like the fact that it can take mini-shells, which I’m not sure the semi-autos can.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
I wanted to like the IWI TS-12, but it just seemed too bulky, and gripping the side by side tubes felt weird.  I ended up getting a pump S&W M&P 12 to feed my desire to try a bullpup shotty.  It’s OK.  I like the fact that it can take mini-shells, which I’m not sure the semi-autos can.
View Quote

Funny you should mention the M&P 12, that and the TS-12 are currently the only ones I'm seriously considering (but am still open to other suggestions ).
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I definitely want to pin down which models are reliable / have reliable QC; the KS7 is the ideal format but alas is Keltec.

Otherwise the perfect stash around the house HD gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
I definitely want to pin down which models are reliable / have reliable QC; the KS7 is the ideal format but alas is Keltec.

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Kushnapup kit with saga 12
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I've shot the KS-7 a few times, it was very rough (need a lot of break in?)

Why choose a pump over the semi?  Just seems like a good way to blow your handoff if panicked and not familiar with pump action bullpups, and should you have an arm/shoulder injury the pump is going to super suck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:

Why choose a pump over the semi?  Just seems like a good way to blow your handoff if panicked and not familiar with pump action bullpups, and should you have an arm/shoulder injury the pump is going to super suck.
View Quote

There are a few instances of KSG owners blowing their hands to smithereens.  Pictures available online.

All the ones I saw, it had nothing to do with being panicked or not familiar.  It was failure.  The slide with the mlok slots is plastic.  Owner mounts a plastic VFG to the mlok slots.  Run the action hard. When either of those cheap plastic parts breaks, your front hand can go in front of the muzzle.  And when that happens, you are no longer supporting the gun out front.  You may pull the trigger when it falls.  

Unfortunately, both of the writeups of KSG owners blowing their hands off were on a website that is now defunct.  Everywhere online talking about them, link back to a website thats gone.  They are still available in the wayback machine.  https://web.archive.org/web/20160203124515/http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/

NSFW money shot.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Standard Manufacturing DP12. American made, 16rd capacity. It's a mean little bulpup.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SigZag:
Standard Manufacturing DP12. American made, 16rd capacity. It's a mean little bulpup.
View Quote

I checked it out, but too heavy for my needs (ymmv).
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SigZag:
View Quote

Apparently the 2.0 version is exploding.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shotguns/comments/198xywh/standard_manufacturing_dp12_blows_out_on_second/

I had the very first batch of 1.0, when they were first release. My buddy bought his same day same store.

Mine had a couple instances of firing both barrels at once. My buddies had the sear release when he drove the slide forward, putting a 12 gauge slug into the concrete a few feet in front of him - scariest gun malf either of us had ever seen. We both sold ours right after they were fixed.

Shame as it was an awesome gun and concept.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Basically theres just the Tavor 12, which seems well made but bulky and pretty expensive, and then there are these Turkish bullpups which seem to have flooded the market. None have really a long track record, they seem to just keep pumping out new models and discontinuing the previous ones.

What I really want is like a KS-7, either made by a better company, or worked over by a shotgun smith.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe the accidents with the KSG were related to hands slipping in front of the bore, not the gun barrel failing.

Nonetheless people need to be keenly aware of short guns and what is in front of them and how hands can slip in front faster than one can stop shooting.

In a inconvenient way a "longer" gun barrel is essentially "machine guarding" as you can't sweep as easily into your own extremity anatomy so easily.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:50:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#22]
and then there are these Turkish bullpups which seem to have flooded the market. None have really a long track record, they seem to just keep pumping out new models and discontinuing the previous ones.
View Quote

I have the rock island bullpup shotgun.  Its a turkish one with their name on it.  Can't really comment on the reliability, cause I've had it like 2-3yr and never shot it.  Just got it cause it looked cool and cheap in the PSA daily deals email.  Its a box fed bullpup and at the time, was the only one advertised to fit 3" shells in the mags.    Thats what really sold me.

What I can say about it, its the exact same gun is some of their other models, just in a bullpup kit.  I don't think the cheap turkministani folks are putting money into redesigning the critical parts of their various shotguns.  It is rough around the edges.  All the plastic parts have a bunch of flashing from the molding process.  Overall, it gives off cheap tapco vibes.  And due to it just being a different action crammed into a bullpup configuration, the action does not go back as far as it could to the back.  It makes the gun longer overall.

When you compare the turkish bullpup with the TS-12, the TS-12 doesn't seem as bulky as everybody makes it out to be.  This is them side by side.  Keep in mind that the turkish one is pictured without the bigass box mag hanging out of it, too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I desperately wish somebody would make a good quality bullpup conversion for the Benelli M1 super 90.

Semi-auto recoil operated and the way the magazine tube attaches allows more choices and design freedom.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]

What I really want is like a KS-7, either made by a better company, or worked over by a shotgun smith.
View Quote

I'd love to see Ruger jump into the shotgun market and do a KS-7 rip off like they did with their LCP (Keltec P3AT clone).  I don't think S&W had great success with their Kel-tec shotgun rip off, but I'll eventually pick one up when I find one cheap enough.  Maybe somebody else needs a shotgun in their line up and can change it just enough to be an upgrade (quality wise) along with some additional features.  I like the carrying handle look of the KS-7, but there should be an option for the carrying handle and optics that doesn't require modifying an AR carrying handle scope mount.  Having optic ready guns isn't too much to ask anymore and really should be a standard feature.

I have a Keltec KS-7 that I mostly like.  It's just rough enough and feels just flimsy enough to not inspire confidence like an IWI TS-12.  One thing I hate about it is that when you load shells, there is a pointy metal part (shell retainer) that pokes you in the finger.  It needs to be polished to remove the sharp point.  I also don't like all the bolts (not a huge deal breaker for me) and the lightweight plastic.  I wish Keltec would beef up their plastic just a tad, that would help a little with the feel of the gun.  Keltecs are always excellent in theory/design, and 85-90% there in build quality.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know about Best. But Fun as shit. And run pretty great once you break it in and figure it out.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Shotgun-Tokarov-cheap-Turkish-Bullpup-Shotgun-adventures-/1-550981/?r=-1&page=1&anc=6091926#i6091926
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
I desperately wish somebody would make a good quality bullpup conversion for the Benelli M1 super 90.

Semi-auto recoil operated and the way the magazine tube attaches allows more choices and design freedom.
View Quote

The Benelli M1 has the recoil spring in a tube behind the action.  So it would need to be modified like Sage did with the Remington 1100 conversions.  The Benelli M3 recoil spring is forward of the action and you could offer a bullpup conversion.  But yes, it would be nice if Benelli or Beretta did a bullpup shotgun to give us more options.  It'll need to add some additional features as well to be competitive.  The bullpup shotgun market is saturated with cheap options and well as well as higher end stuff.  People already say the IWI TS-12 is expensive and it is priced right in there with Benelli & Beretta offerings.

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked up a Bulltac 12 from Battlehawk Armory for $200.  So far its great.  I think it is better than my Buddy's KS7.

It has an aluminum receiver, seems solidly made - the barrel has a threaded lock ring that keeps the receiver and barrel locked up well and it just works.

I put over 200 rounds - mix of slug, buck and cheapo target loads - it works.  IT DOES NOT LIKE MINI SHELLS but that is okay.  Mini shells cost more than bulk target loads.

It is a pump - and not auto - but nothing to really malfunction.  In one YouTube video their is a complaint about a cross pin that might be fragile when removed - the factory changed it so its not the same anymore and improved.

I like it for a fun gun.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
High Standard 10A???

https://i.imgur.com/cJafcqy.jpeg
View Quote

Actually, I used to own a High Standard 10B several decades ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#30]
With a bullpup, once you get over seven or so rounds the magazine gets pretty awkward.
The Tavor gets past this but it is fairly wide, probably the only real viable option in a bullpup.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#31]

The TS12 is, in fact, a Turkish designed bullpup semiauto shotgun that IWI adopted and had some minor changes/improvements made to it. I am not sure if some or none or all of the gun is made in Turkey at this point.  That being said, I completely blanked on it when I originally commented!

Ts-12’s seem to be pretty reliable, my only comments is they have a unique and slightly odd manual  of arms that you need to practice with a lot to get good muscle memory.

But yeah, it is  likely the best one out there.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Isn't that an IWI product?

The TS12 is, in fact, a Turkish designed bullpup semiauto shotgun that IWI adopted and had some minor changes/improvements made to it. I am not sure if some or none or all of the gun is made in Turkey at this point.  That being said, I completely blanked on it when I originally commented!

Ts-12’s seem to be pretty reliable, my only comments is they have a unique and slightly odd manual  of arms that you need to practice with a lot to get good muscle memory.

But yeah, it is  likely the best one out there.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Huh... Never knew that. Ehh, doesnt really matter. Cool as it is, way to bulky for me.

There is also the UTAS UTS-15, but unless something has changed, its still likely a piece of plastic junk that is likely to break on you.

Does look cool though...
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#32]
Went with the S&W M&P 12 and first impressions are good. Range test tomorrow so that opinion is open to changing.
Thx to everyone for their input!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Random thought reading this thread:

Calico showed a shotgun with a helical magazine years ago at shot, it would fit almost perfectly in the volume occupied by the magazine tube cluster on the TS-12. Would be a total redesign, but I love the idea of having the magazine capacity without having to manually clock the tubes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Armed_Scientist:
Random thought reading this thread:

Calico showed a shotgun with a helical magazine years ago at shot, it would fit almost perfectly in the volume occupied by the magazine tube cluster on the TS-12. Would be a total redesign, but I love the idea of having the magazine capacity without having to manually clock the tubes.
View Quote

Agreed. One of the things I like about the M&P 12 is the quick/easy way of changing tubes (just smack the switch w/the palm of your hand, no fine motor control needed).
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#35]
BAT PRO BULLPUP – FD 12

Attachment Attached File

I wouldn't call it the best as my bullpup shotgun sample testing size is one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 9:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#36]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
BAT PRO BULLPUP – FD 12

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79569/1000001790_jpg-3263040.JPG

I wouldn't call it the best as my bullpup shotgun sample testing size is one.
View Quote

I used to have a couple of the original Saiga-12 shotguns that were 100% reliable, unless...
...you left the mags loaded for any length of time which resulted in deformed casings & malfunctions.
Sorry, no mag-fed shotties for me.

ETA: I have to admit it does look cool!
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Since this topic came up, has anyone had any experience with the kits sold through Bullpup Unlimited? I'm considering this for a Maverick I have, but haven't seen any feedback if the kits are any good or not.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#38]
WHat are some inexpensive semi-auto 12GA bullpup shotguns, with threaded barrel, that can handle low recoil slugs reliably?
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
WHat are some inexpensive semi-auto 12GA bullpup shotguns, with threaded barrel, that can handle low recoil slugs reliably?
View Quote

Ouch! That's going to be a tall order!
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

You would likely have to convert whatever version of the Saiga 12 is on the market. Lynx, Cheetah or the like. My Saiga is the most efficient cycling shotgun with low recoil ammo I’ve ever seen. The handicap trap shooting junk from Walmart runs 100%. The factory gas adjustment had only two settings, so I swapped it to an aftermarket one with five. It still runs just fine on the lowest setting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#41]
I shot the sds imports bullpup last year at the iv8888 YT shoot. I was impressed with it.

Was kinda weird hearing all the mechanical noise of loading the shell right in your ear.

Think I’ve seen them for under $200

Was this one. Link
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

What do you consider INEXPENSIVE?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top