Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2024 9:13:00 PM EDT
Seems all the “deals” are long gone.
Any reason I should renew?

If I let it expire, do I need to do anything with my bound book? Do items listed in the book need to be notated out to me and then send the book in? I’ve seen where people just let the license expire, never do anything with the book and just move on.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
See my PM.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:33:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#2]
I let mine go. And no, you don't need to do a thing. You can safely destroy your bound book if you choose. Or keep it. Doesn't matter. The ATF doesn't need it or expect it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 1:09:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#3]
I have thought about letting mine lapse and then getting it back in a year. Then I can start a new bound book and lose the old one I have used for 15 years. Theoretically this is possible I imagine.

I just renewed mine this April though. $30 isn't anything and my book is done right. 1 purchase makes it worth it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Past two times I have considered not renewing.  I like old stuff and use it more for things like Model 12's and other shotguns made before '73 than I do for Mil-surp guns.  

I figure it pays for itself, so why not renew.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:00:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#5]
Having a C&R was cool when I was mostly buying guns. It saved me the cost and expense of doing transfers at an FFL. It became much less cool once I started selling some of my guns. I found it awkward to ask to see buyer's drivers license and tell them that I had to record their information in my bound book.

When buying, having a C&R makes your life easier. When selling, having a C&R complicates things.

ETA: Having a C&R satisfies the marksmanship requirement for purchasing guns from The CMP, so there is that. If you didn't qualify some other way, that might be reason to keep a C&R active.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sparsky:
Seems all the “deals” are long gone.
Any reason I should renew?

If I let it expire, do I need to do anything with my bound book? Do items listed in the book need to be notated out to me and then send the book in? I’ve seen where people just let the license expire, never do anything with the book and just move on.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

It's $30 freaking dollars.  $10 a year.
The "deals" will always be there because fifty years is fifty years. If all you want is a Mak or Mosin, you can still use your C&R.
As far as your bound book....ATF has Q&A's on their website: Collectors
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Deals are still out there, but most will not be found from retailers online.

C&R is nice to have if you stop by gun shops or gun shows outside your home state.  Go to Wanenmacher's Tulsa show and I guarantee you will find something C&R eligible that you want to buy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Every time I saw I am not going to renew, but then when it comes time I do. Like others have said, it's only $30. I wasted more $ on less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top