Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2024 10:36:27 PM EDT
Anyone like using cheap old coolers for their primers and powder? I have read repeatedly on here and elsewhere how resilient primers can be, lasting decades in cardboard boxes in an non-insulated drafty shed. Powder, not so much. I've also read how drastic temp swings can harm materials in primers and powder. That gave me an idea to keep them in coolers. The insulation should mitigate temperature shocks. The containers are lightweight. The cooler can vent in case of a fire, but a decent seal will keep a lot of moisture out compared to boxes made of 1" wood. Or maybe the slight air flow from less tight containers like wooden crates helps prevent moisture accumulation.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Like most things, more damage is likely done to powder by trying to protect it from supposed dangers than simply allowing it to sit on a shelf undisturbed, as I do...
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a metric ass-load of powder. These days it's all in plastic, so I don't think the humidity can really get to it unless it's seal is compromised. I keep it in the basement, where we have a heat pump & hybrid hot water heater and dehumidifier running. The temp is pretty constant in comparison to an outside shed. Once I find a load that works, I don't want to mess around with lot to lot consistency so let's just say I order it 32lbs at a time.

The problem with a cooler, there is just not that much space. Temp swings will degrade powder, but it takes a while. Might just be better to load it up into ammo and put it in ammo cans and only keep a modest supply of powder on hand.

A cooler is not a bad idea, it's just not feasible for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Like most things, more damage is likely done to powder by trying to protect it from supposed dangers than simply allowing it to sit on a shelf undisturbed, as I do...
View Quote

FPNI............ dont fix things that aren't broke.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes semi sealed vessels like coolers or semi tight fitting lids are great for letting moisture in with humidity and temp changes but the water accumulates when it cools down as condensation.  

A friend gave me a huge plastic storage box I used to keep in my truck that had a cap on the truck.  I had some rope, an ax, some shackles and a chain in there etc.  Damned if that did not have a fair amount of water get trapped in there swelling the ax handle and lightly rusting the axe head that was painted with rust oleum.   I remove the items from the box and my ax handle shrunk and was now loose in the head.

An ammo can seal is one thing. Half way sealed is another thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bpm990d:
I have a metric ass-load of powder. These days it's all in plastic, so I don't think the humidity can really get to it unless it's seal is compromised. I keep it in the basement, where we have a heat pump & hybrid hot water heater and dehumidifier running. The temp is pretty constant in comparison to an outside shed. Once I find a load that works, I don't want to mess around with lot to lot consistency so let's just say I order it 32lbs at a time.

The problem with a cooler, there is just not that much space. Temp swings will degrade powder, but it takes a while. Might just be better to load it up into ammo and put it in ammo cans and only keep a modest supply of powder on hand.

A cooler is not a bad idea, it's just not feasible for me.
View Quote

How much powder do you need to fit? Isn't the guidance 25lbs per powder magazine? Don't  coolers come in 110qt and larger varieties?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGH456E:
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

I really like what s4s4u said.

Now, my question turns to: is it harmful to keep primers/powder in coolers vs a regular wooden crate?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Sometimes semi sealed vessels like coolers or semi tight fitting lids are great for letting moisture in with humidity and temp changes but the water accumulates when it cools down as condensation.  

A friend gave me a huge plastic storage box I used to keep in my truck that had a cap on the truck.  I had some rope, an ax, some shackles and a chain in there etc.  Damned if that did not have a fair amount of water get trapped in there swelling the ax handle and lightly rusting the axe head that was painted with rust oleum.   I remove the items from the box and my ax handle shrunk and was now loose in the head.

An ammo can seal is one thing. Half way sealed is another thing.
View Quote

Something like this then? https://mtmcase-gard.com/products/pk-12-powder-keg But, the main idea with a cooler was for giving a bit of help with temperature changes

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:00:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#8]
Ok, I have to ask.   Where are you storing the stuff?  

what are the conditions of the place of storage?

extremely hot uninsulated attic?
cold damp basement with water running down the walls and condensation dripping off the water pipes?
an outdoor metal shed?

If it’s none of those extremes you may be overthinking this.  If it is normally under a 100 degrees F I wouldn’t get too wound up.  My first set up as a teen was an old school drafting desk in the attic.  In over thirty years of reloading I have yet to have powder go bad.   Only one year was my stash kept in a cold dry storage building, a friend’s warehouse while I was moving.

My stuff is in the basement but mine stays dry except maybe once every few years when the ground is still frozen and we get a heavy spring rainstorm.  I get a touch of water behind the furnace where there is a crack.  It gets a little summer humidity but not any more than the rest of the house.  No central AC either.

All that plastic box does is keep your powder in one box to grab out of the house in case of fire. That is why they are supposed to be painted red and labeled for the FD to do the same.

I’d sooner build a wooden powder safe per the regular guidelines.  I am pretty sure dryflash has posted pics of his before.  A double layered plywood box that has a blow out panel.   Make it top opening or front opening.  It doesn’t matter.  Wood will give you fairly decent insulation.  What it gives you by design is x amount of burn time for the FD to get on scene.

If you google smokeless powder storage you should get a few designs to build.  

A plastic box will not give you the NFPA suggested protection.   Just my two cents.

Half my powder is on the top shelf behind my press and the big bottles are under the bench that is a wooden cabinet but I never got around to putting a door on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Ok, I have to ask.   Where are you storing the stuff?  

what are the conditions of the place of storage?

extremely hot uninsulated attic?

cold damp basement with water running down the walls and condensation dripping off the water pipes?

an outdoor metal shed?

If it’s none of those extremes you may be overthinking this.  If it is normally under a 100 degrees F I wouldn’t get too wound up.  My first set up as a teen was an old school drafting desk in the attic.  In over thirty years of reloading I have yet to have powder go bad.   Only one year was my stash kept in a cold dry storage building, a friend’s warehouse while I was moving.

My stuff is in the basement but mine stays dry except maybe once every few years when the ground is still frozen and we get a heavy spring rainstorm.  I get a touch of water behind the furnace where there is a crack.  It gets a little summer humidity but not any more than the rest of the house.  No central AC either.

All that plastic box does is keep your powder in one box to grab out of the house in case of fire. That is why they are supposed to be painted red and labeled for the FD to do the same.

I’d sooner build a wooden powder safe per the regular guidelines.  I am pretty sure dryflash has posted pics of his before.  A double layered plywood box that has a blow out panel.   Make it top opening or front opening.  It doesn’t matter.  Wood will give you fairly decent insulation.  What it gives you by design is x amount of burn time for the FD to get on scene.

If you google smokeless powder storage you should get a few designs to build.  

A plastic box will not give you the NFPA suggested protection.   Just my two cents.

Half my powder is on the top shelf behind my press and the big bottles are under the bench that is a wooden cabinet but I never got around to putting a door on it.
View Quote

Depending on where I move, could be any of the above. I've had to keep things in a damp basement, an insulated garage, an outdoor shed. Temps have reached freezing to over 100. Fortunately, temp changes are fairly gradual in KY
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I store my primers in 5gal buckets with lids.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:36:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGH456E] [#11]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:

Depending on where I move, could be any of the above. I've had to keep things in a damp basement, an insulated garage, an outdoor shed. Temps have reached freezing to over 100. Fortunately, temp changes are fairly gradual in KY
View Quote

And prior post:  
"......Now, my question turns to: is it harmful to keep primers/powder in coolers vs a regular wooden crate?............. "

OP:
My comment of not fixing things that aren't broke is this.......................

In these years that you stored these things ............. have you had any issues?  In the basement? shed? etc.  
No?  They why are you trying to spend your money on these cooler things?

"Well, I want to be able to carry the powder around if I need to.........."
In the years prior to now, did you do that?  No.
No, because you're like every one else........if you needed some powder you grabbed it, used it and put it back on the shelf.

If you are determined to make a powder storage "thing"............. do it right and use the SAAMI guidelines and build the wood box.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:

How much powder do you need to fit?
View Quote

Enough to make coolers unworkable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
KISS
Cool and Dry sitting on the shelf or perhaps with store in a wooden constructed powder cabinet that breathes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 2:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I store some powders in coolers. Only because the coolers would otherwise sit empty. Might as well use the space for something.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 3:48:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
The temperature inside a cooler stabilizes to ambient, quickly in the cheap coolers.

All that occurs is a lag as the ambient temperature changes, transferring heat into the cooler as temps increase, and out of the cooler as temps decrease.

The same occurs in a wood box, at different rates.

View Quote

Exactly.  Cooler provides no real benefit.  And zero fire protection…
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:36:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#18]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Exactly.  Cooler provides no real benefit.  And zero fire protection…
View Quote

The crates in your avatar would be better than coolers or nothing imho.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:42:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: txgp17] [#19]
I'm inclined to say the cooler tends to retain moisture that gets inside it.  I think you'd be better served by a properly sealed ammo can.  Or a good wood box like other have posted.  Most humidors are made of wood.  The best place to store the powder is inside a brass case.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember in some video (which I cannot find) that the Human Manual guy from Dillon stores his powder in a cooler in his garage in AZ. The idea being that changes in temperature degrade powder, and the cooler holds a temperature for longer, reducing the rate of change and extending the powder life in storage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Might be slightly off-topic, but has anyone regularly put / stored primers and powder in a working refrigerator? Definite humidity control.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 12:11:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beansnicewater] [#22]
No evidence that it does anything whatsoever, but over the years I've had my fair share of problems due to temp/humidity and damaging condensation. Machine tooling stored in a non stable environment started my

collection of three and four letter abbreviation fears of the destructive phenomenon many years ago. Here in Arkansas, leaving a salt shaker out on the deck for more than a few hours requires a heavy beating just to get your beer

top properly dusted.

I have an argon bottles chained to the far side of the shop for various welding setups, so I rolled one over to the reloading bench and threw on a cheap regulator with  1/4" plastic tubing attached. After I open and use powder

from the jug/container, i stick the hose in with the lid covering the top and purge it for a few seconds before tightening the lid.

It does purge oxygen from tubing and containers when welding, this I can state as fact... as far as powder storage, I have yet to consult a professional on the subject. Psychiatric or similar

Top Top