Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2024 4:59:30 PM EDT
Hey everyone, starting to look into getting a rifle again after I cleared out some stuff, and I want to finally scratch the .308 itch with a bullpup. Was just wanting to see what people thought of current production RFBs. I really like the overall design and the mechanism is interesting, but the current state of FAL mags is certainly less than ideal compared to AR-10 pattern mags.

It'd be nice if they made some changes to the design, but much of what I've seen lately on them is that they are mostly reliable with good mags, although good quality new production mags seem to be a thing of the past and I'd be looking at almost exclusively trying to nab surplus mags.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone is making new production polymer FAL mags, and makes one especially for the KelTec RFB. I forgot the name. Moses Mags, IIRC?
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JTF-B:
Someone is making new production polymer FAL mags, and makes one especially for the KelTec RFB. I forgot the name. Moses Mags, IIRC?
View Quote

All I'm seeing about new production Moses mags is that DSA is using the design for their polymer mags with an altered aesthetic (Though there is a reddit post about someone claiming Moses mags were going to be made again a few months ago, but I'll believe it when I see it).
The DSA polymer mags don't look to be well regarded either, many saying the polymer they use is too soft due to cracking and other issues. Also, they seem to require modification to fit the RFB just like the original Moses mag.

I'm fully expecting that I'll just have to pony up for surplus mags if I do grab an RFB.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the reasons why FAL rifles and rifles that use FAL mags are so reliable is because the feed lips are part of the rifle, not the mag. The mag just has ammo retention lips.

That's a big part of why even beat up surplus FAL mags still tend to work very well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
One of the reasons why FAL rifles and rifles that use FAL mags are so reliable is because the feed lips are part of the rifle, not the mag. The mag just has ammo retention lips.

That's a big part of why even beat up surplus FAL mags still tend to work very well.
View Quote

Huh, didn't know that. Makes it seem even stranger that there are a lot of less-than-reliable mags available.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 2:44:12 AM EDT
[#5]
There's beat up and then there is worn out!
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JTF-B:
View Quote

Moses mags to do not work in the RFB by default.. You have to modify the magazine to make them work..Heres my proof...

I dont think Moses Mags were ever made specifically for the RFB.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 3:21:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WriterClarke] [#7]
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
There's beat up and then there is worn out!
View Quote

Yeah, I just sorta mean in terms of new production mags not being as reliable as even beat up surplus mags. See plenty of sprinkled in complaints about DSA's 20 round steel mags (when they have 'em stocked), and I see almost nothing but issues with their polymer mags. Then you just have Promag being Promag.
Thermolds seem to be okayish.

Man, I think the mag situation alone is enough to deter me from the gun. Good surplus mags going for 40$+ on the regular these days, and bound to get worse unless someone picks up the slack.

I suppose the only options I'd consider in turn would be a T7 or a K&M M17S, but neither of them scratch that same kind of itch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:

Yeah, I just sorta mean in terms of new production mags not being as reliable as even beat up surplus mags. See plenty of sprinkled in complaints about DSA's 20 round steel mags (when they have 'em stocked), and I see almost nothing but issues with their polymer mags. Then you just have Promag being Promag.
Thermolds seem to be okayish.

Man, I think the mag situation alone is enough to deter me from the gun. Good surplus mags going for 40$+ on the regular these days, and bound to get worse unless someone picks up the slack.

I suppose the only options I'd consider in turn would be a T7 or a K&M M17S, but neither of them scratch that same kind of itch.
View Quote

No Desert Tech Wlvrn?

I have an Older RFB and I run Surplus, Dsa 20&30s + Several Thermolds. Currently my Favorite 308 bullpup
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:

No Desert Tech Wlvrn?

I have an Older RFB and I run Surplus, Dsa 20&30s + Several Thermolds. Currently my Favorite 308 bullpup
View Quote

I've no interest in Desert Tech. I've had to help two friends with an MDR and an MDRX, both that've had to go back to DT several times. Neither inspire confidence in .308.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Moses mags to do not work in the RFB by default.. You have to modify the magazine to make them work..Heres my proof...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTF-B:  Someone is making new production polymer FAL mags, and makes one especially for the KelTec RFB. I forgot the name. Moses Mags, IIRC?

Thanks man.  Updated the .308 Magazine FAQ
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Still like my very early RFB, but don't shoot it all that much...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
What mags does the Rock River use? Didn’t they have a FAL variant? They have some weird mag they make new polymer versions of.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
What mags does the Rock River use? Didn’t they have a FAL variant? They have some weird mag they make new polymer versions of.
View Quote

Pretty sure those are Thermolds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 5:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#14]
The DSA polymer FAL mags don't fit in the RFB either. You pretty much have to use surplus or thermolds. It looks like promag might fit .
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Still like my very early RFB, but don't shoot it all that much...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/9320059d-3ebb-4b43-884b-484f4265855d-1_a-3331279.JPG
View Quote

I also have an early RFB, Gen 1..err..well..It was Gen 1 until about last week...Now its a Gen 1 serial number with Gen 2 parts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I also have an early RFB, Gen 1..err..well..It was Gen 1 until about last week...Now its a Gen 1 serial number with Gen 2 parts.
View Quote

Did you send it in for the update?
What was the $ and turnaround like?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Did you send it in for the update?
What was the $ and turnaround like?
View Quote

I didnt really send it in for an update..More like a warranty fix.. Bolt carrier cracked in a place that is re-enforced on the Gen2s..
I figured they could just update my bolt carrier minus the spring that pushes on the piston so the rifle would stay a Gen1..But..Then the
adjuster failed..So it went back..and the fastest way to make it mine again was to have then Gen 2 it the whole way. Ill shoot it this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top