Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2024 9:17:45 AM EDT
Hi all... My wife picked up a NIB FA platinum pocket swager. She took pity on me after seeing all the brass and what is involved in prepping it. I am in the DF3 school of Hornady reamer in a screw gun. The thing is the wife wants to help and she doesn't

have a lot of grip strength to hold very many pcs of brass doing the reaming.

So, not wanting to hurt her feelings I have this set up on the bench. What I need is,,,Does anyone have first hand experience with one of these ? The instructions don't really go into much detail about how to find the ''sweet spot'' where web is/ how

to adjust for it.

Is adjusting needed for different manufacturers? I have been all over both videos and other sites and haven't found this info. MAYBE I got lucky, I set it up so there is just enough room for the arm to swing  into place and JUST clear the swager head up

top.

I  have a  Ballistics Tools primer pocket gauge and the 25 mixed brass all check out fine. I resized them and put in primers, nothing seems loose.  Maybe I'm good to go as is?  I don't want to ruin a bunch of brass.  On a side note, if the primer gauge slips

effortlessly into the pocket is that a bad sign? Ditch it?  I didn't prime any of those.  Thanks for any info

Link Posted: 9/24/2024 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes typically you will need to set it up for each type of brass. You will learn which are similar and can use the same setting.

I don't have a primer pocket gauge, I am really good at just eyeballing how much swaging or reaming a pocket needs and never ruin any brass in doing so.

I primarily ream, but on large primer pocket brass I have found swaging to be necessary as they are crimped much harder and reaming doesn't get all of the crimp out most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
DF3 school is a good school. lol

Old school way is to swage case, then attempt to prime it. That tells you more swage, just right, or too much....case is ruined.

Or get a primer pocket gauge. https://ballistictools.com/store/small-and-large-primer-pocket-gauges

Brass prep with the wife is a good thing.
View Quote

What a morning, sat and sorted all the brass by headstamp!!  I'm cross eyed at this point lol. That 5 gallon bucket was at least half full of LC.. About a coffee can of FC  about 100 Norma  and the rest dribs and drabs of various. Now I can at least experiment

w/ the swager setting up for different brass.  I have the primer pocket gauge. It works great. There are a few cases where the tool goes in almost too easy. Do you think I should chuck those?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top