Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2024 12:17:11 AM EDT
Does anyone here have experience reloading for the 45 usp?

I've had two separate brands of coated bullets (Blue and Missouri) need to be seated to ~1.220 to plunk and even then it feels like the bullet is touching the rifling. They fire fine just not used to seating that deep.

Plated and jacketed bullets of multiple brands I'm able to seat at the normal 1.250 length and they plunk and spin just fine.

Are these pistols chambered short? I've heard of this for Cz's but never anything about HK's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Huh, never had a problem with 2x usp 45 tacs or a 45 full size with 1.250” with ball or HP… did you measure bullets themselves? -Is it the OEM barrel? -any indication on the bullets for where they are hitting? -any burrs, debris, etc?
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Any load I developed in my Springfield Operator, cycled fine in most of my other 45s but my USPs required seating a little deeper.  I wouldn't call it a short chamber
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JTR:
Huh, never had a problem with 2x usp 45 tacs or a 45 full size with 1.250” with ball or HP… did you measure bullets themselves? -Is it the OEM barrel? -any indication on the bullets for where they are hitting? -any burrs, debris, etc?
View Quote

Yeah oem barrel, brand new gun with only about 800rds through it. This happens with coated ball bullets. No issues with hp/ball bullets that are jacketed or plated at normal length.

As far as I can tell the barrle/chamber is fine. It's clean and can't see any defects.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By d__j__b:
Any load I developed in my Springfield Operator, cycled fine in most of my other 45s but my USPs required seating a little deeper.  I wouldn't call it a short chamber
View Quote

Interesting. Any idea why? Does this happen with any type of bullet?
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been a USP45 owner since '99. Only shoot reloads through it but have never tried any coated bullets, plated only.

Just measured a loaded round and looks like I'm a hair long, 1.253.

Been using the same load with Berry's 230gr bullet for probably 20 years, never any issues.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Without knowing what bullet you are talking about, this is an impossible question to even guess at. If we are talking about any kind of flat point or hollow point, a lot of the time they won't even fit in a magazine much over 1.200", but that can vary widely based on how wide the meplat is. It is certainly not unusual, especially for a coated bullet, RNFP or round nose design to not chamber over 1.220". It's really only jacketed FMJ that has a profile that allows a 1.275" OAL. If you have any kind of flat on the nose at all, not too many work over 1.250"
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
Without knowing what bullet you are talking about, this is an impossible question to even guess at. If we are talking about any kind of flat point or hollow point, a lot of the time they won't even fit in a magazine much over 1.200", but that can vary widely based on how wide the meplat is. It is certainly not unusual, especially for a coated bullet, RNFP or round nose design to not chamber over 1.220". It's really only jacketed FMJ that has a profile that allows a 1.275" OAL. If you have any kind of flat on the nose at all, not too many work over 1.250"
View Quote

Blue Bullets and Missouri Bullet Company both in the 230 grain ball.

I'm relatively new to loading coated bullets, but yes I know swc and lighter bullets generally need to be seated deeper. At least in my experience.

Is this the norm for most coated bullets? I assumed since they were ball they would have a similar profile to plated/fmj and would seat at a similar depth.

Berrys, Extreme and Hornady. (All 230 gr. Ball) all fit perfectly in the chamber at standard 1.250 length.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:58:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#8]
Originally Posted By JoshTalk:

Blue Bullets and Missouri Bullet Company both in the 230 grain ball.

I'm relatively new to loading coated bullets, but yes I know swc and lighter bullets generally need to be seated deeper. At least in my experience.

Is this the norm for most coated bullets? I assumed since they were ball they would have a similar profile to plated/fmj and would seat at a similar depth.

Berrys, Extreme and Hornady. (All 230 gr. Ball) all fit perfectly in the chamber at standard 1.250 length.
View Quote

It's really hard to draw generalizations. The gold standard SWC, the H&G #68 and the many clones normally work great at 1.250". Some others like a Lee 452-252-swc don't even fit in my magazine unless at 1.210" maximum.

No, most round nose cast bullets are not the same profile as a FMJ round nose. Just going off the pictures, the Missouri 230gr round nose is a more blunt nose than a typical FMJ.

By coating a bullet you are adding material around the entire bullet. On a SWC, this results in basically no change at all, since that SWC shoulder is a sharp angle. On a true round nose, coating it adding material to the entire outside, including the nose, and this can often cause you to hit the ogive with the rifling sooner. It's not a huge deal, and it isn't uncommon to see a difference of .020" or .030" deeper needed between a coated and uncoated version of the same cast bullet, but it completely depends on the nose profile.

In your case, it appears both of yours are true round nose bullets, meaning no step or anything, but they were likely intended from the start to be coated only bullets. They have no grooves or lube. It probably is the profile of the nose that isn't the same. If you calculate your seating depth, you may find that it is basically the same as a FMJ at a longer OAL.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same issues as the OP with the one I bought from Aim not long ago.  I had to load my coated bullets shorter than my plated or FMJs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 1:58:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723] [#11]
Which bullets exactly are you talking about.  I know that there are some commercial bullet moulds out that there that require a shorter COAL as the construction of the bullet.  That it is short and has a lot of bearing surface. This causes them to engage the lands at nominal length,thus requiring a shorter COAL.

Not a big deal.  Make note in your log book and move on.

I have a Jarvis bbl to shoot lead in my usp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top