Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2024 7:21:48 PM EDT
A person somewhat local to me has a MSAR with the case and one of each size magazine, serial number 2. No Microtech knife though.

Is it worth trading for my new Hellion?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely not. Why trade a current, nice rifle for one that is obsolete from a defunct company with limited parts and a cheap AUG copy?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of the early MSARs had problems. There were 4 generations of them with improvements.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
MSAR's are the Century Arms G3's with the cast aluminum receivers of AUG's.  And a low s/n one is even less likely to have the updates/revisions that they did to them as they learned how to make them.  If you want an AUG, please get a Steyr
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!

I’ll just have to break into the “Good Boy” fund and get a Steyr. The urge was there, although I really do know better. Thanks for the confirmation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d do the trade, really, I’d do it, where should I send my MSAR?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell no. MSAR isn’t AUG compatible, has no factory support, and are not known for being reliable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Punisher:
Thanks guys!

I’ll just have to break into the “Good Boy” fund and get a Steyr. The urge was there, although I really do know better. Thanks for the confirmation.
View Quote

You have chosen wisely.

MSAR
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually really love the Gen 4 msar guns. They actually are really fantastic.

There's actually quite a bit of parts compatibility especially on the Gen 4 models.

The one you're talking about isn't a Gen 4.

Therefore I would not take the trade.

However I also would not buy a hellion.

I suggest you getting aug which is better than either the msar or the hellion and if I read right that is the direction you decided to go.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:
I’d do the trade, really, I’d do it, where should I send my MSAR?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I dig the MSAR fluted barrels…wish Steyr would do that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell no!

You want a real AUG, how close are you to ORL?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Hell no!

You want a real AUG, how close are you to ORL?
View Quote

45min -1 hr north of Orlando
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The MSAR E4 was a great rifle, but the damage had already been done to their reputation. I ran that gun hard. Ended up cracking the bolt cam pin after thousands of rounds. The replacement I got was the last one available according to microtech. I sold the rifle once I got the replacement in. Tried a NATO Aug but the trigger was trash. I’m sure they, or aftermarket, had fixed that by now though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#14]
No I would not. M a huge fan of Steyr but not the msar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:56:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#15]
Originally Posted By JohnGA:
Absolutely not.
View Quote

Furthermore, when shopping for a Steyr AUG, you should prefer a pre-2017 example like the older A3 (or a Sabre A3 if you can find one).

Attachment Attached File

They used to come with chrome lined barrels. The last chrome lined barrels (by FN) on the A3M1 were fairly crappy however.

If you want the old-school look with integrated optic, another option is to find a USR from the 1990s and de-ban it. (These have an AUG A2 style receiver/optic.)

Attachment Attached File

I keep hearing that the MSAR (E4?) stocks work very nicely on the AUG for use with AR mags (which is what Steyr calls a “NATO” version) but I never see MSAR stocks for sale by themselves.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no way I’d trade a MSAR for any rifle at this point … let alone a factory Hellion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my GEN4 MSAR it has been a really great rifle. But only as a fun gun. Trade the Hellion for a Styer Aug.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I like my MSAR's...  no issues.  I like that I can make any combo since all parts on these are interchangeable.  The green stock is an XM17-E4 that uses AR mags and the black stock is an STG556 gen 4 that uses AUG mags.  Got the 20" barrel in one and the 16" in another.  Both threaded 1/2x28.  One has a flat top and the other with the 1.5x optic.  Both have upgraded triggers - one with a rare 20/20 precision sear and the other with a Neu-trigger.  The 20/20 precision sear is unbelievably good, as in it rivals some of the precision bolt action rifles I have.  Both MSAR's also have the Ratworx AR bolt upgrades on them along with all the MSAR 'fixes' applied.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Someone here is also doing an upgrade to .300
Top Top