Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2024 7:04:23 PM EDT
I shot my AUG at my local 2gun match today and my AUG got all jammed up trying to eat the left-side ejection port cover (dust cover). No idea how it got dislodged and inside the action while shooting. It was the first stage and the gun was not dropped or abused in any way and the cover did not appear to be loose before. Is this a common problem? Shit like this always happens during a match and this is why I insist on using my guns in competition, to shake to "bugs" out.

I cant figure out how it goes back on. Maybe some parts are missing. I managed to find the black plastic cover and the shinny steel piece from the inside. But I must be missing some parts since it will not stay. Or the metal piece got bent out of shape and no longer hold the plastic outer cover.

I will call Steyr next week for some CS but is there some help from the forum? Is there some aftermarket part to replace the cover? Something less "tasty" that will not be eaten and maybe stay put, out of the action?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve heard of this happening with the standard AUG. Bandaid fix is a piece of duct tape over the ejection port.

Or a NATO stock.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
there's only two pieces. hold the metal piece in place from the inside and slide the outer plastic cover on so it grabs the rails on the metal piece
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The two-part design of the ejection Port cover having one part inside and one part outside could use some refinement by eliminating the inside portion.

There is at least one or two people who make 3D printed external only Port covers that are really good.

Also NATO stocks don't have that issue nor do 9 mil stocks because they don't have the left hand ejection port.

But honestly your best option is probably just to leave the inside part off and just tape the outside portion on. It works fine and then you don't have anything on the inside to come undone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
The two-part design of the ejection Port cover having one part inside and one part outside could use some refinement by eliminating the inside portion.

There is at least one or two people who make 3D printed external only Port covers that are really good.

Also NATO stocks don't have that issue nor do 9 mil stocks because they don't have the left hand ejection port.

But honestly your best option is probably just to leave the inside part off and just tape the outside portion on. It works fine and then you don't have anything on the inside to come undone.
View Quote

Thank you and the other poster above with the same advice. This is what I did so I could finish the match since I wasnt sure if it would blow gas into my face with no cover. It doesnt seem like a good permanent solution though but better than risking a jam from the stupid idiotic metal piece falling into the action at every shot. Also, in case of a ruptured/blown case, I'd prefer a piece a metal between my face and the explosion. Maybe I can become famous for getting "AUG face" but I'm ugly enough without more scars and dont want an eye-patch...

The metal piece must be damaged since it doesnt hold the plastic part at all. Probably from the action "chewing" on it. Later I will try to remove the cover of my other AUG and compare the two...

I will call Steyr and see what they can do but they are not easy to get ahold of.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
I shot my AUG at my local 2gun match today and my AUG got all jammed up trying to eat the left-side ejection port cover (dust cover). No idea how it got dislodged and inside the action while shooting. It was the first stage and the gun was not dropped or abused in any way and the cover did not appear to be loose before. Is this a common problem? Shit like this always happens during a match and this is why I insist on using my guns in competition, to shake to "bugs" out.

I cant figure out how it goes back on. Maybe some parts are missing. I managed to find the black plastic cover and the shinny steel piece from the inside. But I must be missing some parts since it will not stay. Or the metal piece got bent out of shape and no longer hold the plastic outer cover.

I will call Steyr next week for some CS but is there some help from the forum? Is there some aftermarket part to replace the cover? Something less "tasty" that will not be eaten and maybe stay put, out of the action?
View Quote

I had this happen with mine, also at a match.  I ran it without any cover on the left side for a while without issue (it wasn't gassy that I noticed either).  However, I eventually bought a new cover and metal bracket from Steyr.  It was something like $50 shipped for both parts, so it might not be worth doing.  I emailed directly by a Steyr gunsmith, Grant Irwin.  You might speed the process up if you email him directly:

[email protected]

If it happens again I probably won't replace it given my experience running it without the cover.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Landric:

I had this happen with mine, also at a match.  I ran it without any cover on the left side for a while without issue (it wasn't gassy that I noticed either).  However, I eventually bought a new cover and metal bracket from Steyr.  It was something like $50 shipped for both parts, so it might not be worth doing.  I emailed directly by a Steyr gunsmith, Grant Irwin.  You might speed the process up if you email him directly:

[email protected]

If it happens again I probably won't replace it given my experience running it without the cover.
View Quote

Thanks. I will call them and try to get some CS first. It's a new gun that broke so I will be pissed if they make me buy new parts.

I was also toying with the idea of putting some epoxy between the parts so it doesn't fall apart again. I dont plan on switching to left hand shooting and I just want it to f#$%ing stay out of the action.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:00:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#7]
I duct taped over my cover anyhow just because it is a damned whisker grabber..  so would have no real concern putting it back together like that as a temporary fix.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
We can look at doing a port cover for the AUG, it fits in pretty well with the rest of our current product line.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I looked at your webpage after it happened, hoping you had something ;(

I took off the port-cover from my other AUG to compare the parts. The parts that fell off/got into the action during my match appear the same and do NOT appear to be damaged, bent, or missing anything. Lucky for me I was able to find both parts in the grass after my run. Anyway they snapped right back into place as "solid and secure" as before. Function test at the range confirmed it was good. But I'm a little paranoid now.

I would LOVE some replacement part to replace the Steyr 2-piece part. Something that cannot fall into the action and is secure. I'm even considering gluing or even riveting the OEP parts together to keep this from happening again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Just remember, the inner metal piece also acts as a layer of protection in case of a kaboom
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Just remember, the inner metal piece also acts as a layer of protection in case of a kaboom
View Quote

Yeah. The port is right next to your face/eye. I dont want to rely just on the plastic part alone. I was thinking about just glueing/epoxying the two OEM pieces together
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]

I plan to look at it next week.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I would definitely be interested in an improved solution since I have experienced the same failure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 2:31:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#14]
Honestly - this was my solution.

Not even being a smart ass.  

I suspect part of the problem is operator under dynamic stress presses face on dust cover, which doesn't have much clearance, and so the bolt hits the metal piece and eats it.  Whilllleee the operator is in a stress scenarior that caused all that.  I consider it to be a design flaw, personally - and some military contract don't even have the dust cover - just solid plastic - right hand only.  My own AUG has ate my dust cover several times, and Steyrs "customer support" is to have you send them money.  

Screw it, I still have and love my AUG, but right now, I'm just setting it aside- and running the RDB.  These days.

Though am interested in what Manticore cones up with.  My own suggestion is to make it very rigid. Or otherwise unable to be reachable by the bolt, even if depressed inward.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

https://i.postimg.cc/MHZgTXTm/20240504-171829.jpg

I suspect part of the problem is operator under dynamic stress presses face on dust cover, which doesn't have much clearance, and so the bolt hits the metal piece and eats it.  Whilllleee the operator is in a stress scenarior that caused all that.  I consider it to be a design flaw, personally - and some military contract don't even have the dust cover - just solid plastic - right hand only.  My own AUG has ate my dust cover several times, and Steyrs "customer support" is to have you send them money.  

Screw it, I still have and love my AUG, but right now, I'm just setting it aside- and running the RDB.  These days.

Though am interested in what Manticore cones up with.  My own suggestion is to make it very rigid. Or otherwise unable to be reachable by the bolt, even if depressed inward.
View Quote

My theory is that a shooter can push forward on the cover, causing it to slide and disengage from the metal liner. I don't think pressing straight down would be able to cause the metal liner to flex inward. I've noticed that some people's outer covers have a slight concave bend that would make sliding forward easier. It's not hard to get that bend if you're removing the outer cover and pull up on it too much
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

https://i.postimg.cc/MHZgTXTm/20240504-171829.jpg

View Quote

I agree with much of this. I was thinking about why the AUG ate the dustcover during a 2-gun match and not during all the hundreds of rounds fired before. I came to the conclusion that during the run-n-gun, I shouldered the gun hard hitting the cover with my big fat face knocking it lose.

I finally got ahold of Steyr CS and they told me to glue the metal part to the plastic cover. I thought about the same thing before but it seems sub-optimal on any defense gun especially one over $1500. Dont get me wrong, I love the AUG and wont be dumping it any time soon but I'd like a better solution. A one-part piece that snaps in or is secured enough to butt stroke a mini-bar and not fall off...
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#18]

The OEM telling you to glue mechanically attached parts together is not an acceptable solution. I am travelling the next week but will  get on an improved cover as soon as I get back. I have  a couple of  concepts I want to investigate.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Would your designs provide the same kaboom protection as the inner metal liner currently does?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Top Top