Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2024 6:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict]
I headed on down to Navy Arms (AKA Old Western Scrounger) in Free America (West Virginia) today to check out some of the MAS rifles they recently imported, knowing full well I was going to buy one.  They've brought in a small number of MAS 49-56's and 36-51's and had a number of each out on display.  The owner Val Forgett was there and told me that this is the end of the line; there are no more known to be available.  They are offering four price levels of the bolt actions and two levels of the semiautomatics but, judging by what I saw, no matter whick rifle or price level you pick, what you're going to get is going to be in absolutely beautiful condition.  And, because they are coming out of a French government warehouse, you know that each was inspected by a French armorer prior to storage and is in ready to issue excellent condition.  

As I already have a 49-56, I opted for one of the top grade 36-51 bolt action rifles.  Now, when I say "top grade" that doesn't mean that the "lesser" grade rifles aren't in as good a condition as the one I bought.  In fact, from a functional standpoint, ALL are in the same condition according to French specifications, meaning ALL are in as new condition from muzzle to butt plate including the bore.  What differs will only matter to collectors.  For example, some had undergone a refurbishment prior to storage including replacement of some parts and a refinish while others were exactly as they left the factory in the 1950's.

The one I picked has a stock cartouche date of January 1956 and appears to have never been issued, the only marks coming from handling and storage.  Let's take a quick look at my latest little French buddy!

Right side:

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">

Left side:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Below the rifle is the accessory pack still sealed in its plastic bag for long term storage.  Every rifle will come with one.  If you buy one of the 49-56 rifles, the pack is stuffed with most if not all of the same goodies they came with back in the glory days when Century was bringing them in.  The accessory pack for the 36-51 is a little more spartan, containing a rubber stock boot to act as a shock absorber when firing rifle grenades, a sling, Model 1922 brass pull through with twine, and a Summary Technical Guide (in French obviously).  Also included is the same manual translated into English by yours truly and shown below compared to an original:

type Status report

(edited)_IMG_4274.png?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">

Hanging on the front sling swivel is a tag, numbered to the rifle and dated December 16, 1977, which basically says that the rifle was checked to be sure that it was sighted in before going into storage.  I'll post a full translation in a couple days:

type Status report

P1220862.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">

The Navy Arms import mark is placed discreetly on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magazine floor plate:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

And, because import regulations state that the country of origin must also be marked on the receiver, Navy Arms went a little whimsical with that and placed it on the bottom of the receiver behind the floor plate....in French:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Sticker on the end of the butt plate:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Judging by the pictures Val showed me on his phone, these stickers were placed there by the French so that they could take inventory without removing the rifle from the storage rack.  Note that the phosphate finish is as new.

Serial number by rear sling bar:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

A nice, crisp cartouche on the right side of the stock:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Serial number  on the side of the forend:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Bottom of magazine floor plate:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

By the time this rifle was made, they were no longer stamping the trigger guard with the serial number so, it's unmarked:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Bolt handle:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

And, receiver:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

That's all of the numbered parts.  Whether or not the bayonet was numbered to the rifle, I cannot say.  Unfortunately, ALL of the rifles are missing their bayonets.  Apparently, they were removed and discarded before storage for some reason.  That's the only bummer about these rifles:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

In the next post, I'll finish up by showing some general detail shots so that you can get a good idea of just how nice a condition these rifles are.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tre bien!
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Okiedokie.  This post is simply to post a few detail shots in no particular order so that you know what to expect when you buy one of these jobbers.  Every one I looked at was in this condition, regardless of whether it had undergone an arsenal refurbishment process or not.  As I said in the last post, condition is the same on all of the rifles with only the state of "factory original" varying.  If you just want one to shoot, buy the least expensive grade because it's going to shoot just as well as the higher grade examples.  If you want one for collecting and best chance of going up in value as time goes on, buy one of the higher grade examples.  

Here, we see that the polished surfaces of the rear sight are as bright as the day my little buddy left the factory back in 1956:

The same goes for the range scale on the grenade launching device:

It looks a little funky only because I haven't cleaned the storage grease off of it yet.

Rear of the bolt plug showing the marks (M)ontage "Assembled" and (D)émontage "Disassembled":

Again, the phosphate is as new.  I don't think the rifle was ever issued or, if it was, it only sat in a rack somewhere.

Inletting at the front of the handguard for the grenade grenade launcher's direct fire range grid:

Note the storage grease.

Magazine follower:

General view of magazine:

Take a look at that magazine spring!  They are usually all greased up and stained from use.  This one looks like it was made yesterday.  Schweet!

Disassembled bolt:

As new bolt face still slathered with storage grease:

The folks at navy Arms told me that, while they inspected the entire rifle, they only carried out minimal exterior cleaning to make them presentable.  The did nothing to clean up the internals.  I didn't bother with pictures of the bore on this rifle because it's still slathered in grease, a condition I don't care to change.

Tip of firing pin:

Grenade launching spigot:

Note the crisp edge on the front of the forend where it meets the front band:

General shot of the handguard showing the condition of the wood:

If you look closely, you can see a small circle behind the stock band and another at the right of frame where two transverse reinforcement pegs pass through the handguard.

In this last photo, I've drawn the bolt to the rear so that we can get a look at the inside of the receiver showing the minimal wear to the phosphate finish:

So, that's it for now.  I'll translate the inspection tag this evening and post what it say either tonight or tomorrow.  While  I can't say exactly how many rifles Navy Arms brought in, I can tell you that it wasn't very many.  If you want a pristine condition MAS 49-56 or 36-51 rifle, this may well be your last chance.  They haven't been imported in this condition for literally decades and we may never see them again once these are sold.  No, they aren't cheap, but they are extremely nice, and a Quality product is worth every penny.  If you're interested in one, check out the link below:
https://ows-ammo.com/product-category/firearms/mas-36-51-rifles/

An in case you're wondering, NO, I am receiving nothing from Navy Arms to post this.  Yes, they did buy translated manuals from me, but the only compensation I received from them was the price of said manuals.  I went there today and bought this jobber off the rack at full price; they don't even know I'm writing this.  I'm only doing so because I think these old French rifles are neato and, well, sharing this neat old stuff online is just what I do for kicks.  You should know that by now!   I'll see you soon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice rifle and post.  Congrats! I miss the golden days of milsurps.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Translation of the tag:

Facility or Materiel Unit that carried out the adjustment: (Ink stamp that I have not deciphered yet because it's stamped over other words)

Serial number of the weapon N° : F77752

Date of Adjustment : Dec. 16, 1977

The adjustment of this weapon's sights, carried out by optical means, remains a theoretical adjustment which does not take into account the shooter's personal factors, nor the ballistic data specific to this weapon and the ammunition used.

It does not, therefore, preclude adjustments to be made upon firing, which are the responsibility of the user (rifles with adjustable sights) or the corps armaments workshop (rifles 36 and derivatives) under the conditions provided for in dispatch N° 20905/T/DCM/AR 41 from 5-5-1960.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I am snooty about the MAS36.  I have a pre-war one, all matching, in pre-war (not updated) configuration.

That said, that is an absolutely beautiful rifle.  And they are very good rifles, too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
I am snooty about the MAS36.  I have a pre-war one, all matching, in pre-war (not updated) configuration.

That said, that is an absolutely beautiful rifle.  And they are very good rifles, too.
View Quote

Please post some pictures of your 36, I'd love to see it!!  And post some pictures of the early style bolt plug.  Folks don't get to see those very often.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jnk556:
I need to head over and see what they got.  I've not dabbled in anything French, but I think 7.5 is easy enough to load up?

What kinda prices these things running?

Also, what other mil surp goodies they got?  Any good handguns?
View Quote

They should have MAC Mle. 50 9mms left. Expensive, but t absolutely love mine.

7.5x54 is as easy to load as .308. Actually, there's more case taper, so it's a hair easier to run through the size die. The French 139 gr. bullet has a long bearing surface for its weight, so a rifle may or may not shoot well with .308" 147/150 gr. bullets intended for .308 Win./7.62 NATO. 168s are a pretty safe bet. Buy Prvi ammo and keep the brass.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
They have lots of neat stuff:

https://ows-ammo.com/
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
View Quote

I'm the exact opposite: no interest in the wartime and pre-War MASs, but I love the post-War variants I have. My interest is specifically in Indochina, and Algeria, though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Nononononon I must not....
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
What else did they have available?  I'll be in that area this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TowerTasteless:
What else did they have available?  I'll be in that area this weekend.
View Quote

They have all kinds of stuff, none of it new.  If you don't find something that interests you, you're not alive!

The showroom is only open on Saturdays.  They open at 10 but I'm not sure what time they close.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]
This model didn't come out until 1951.  Still, one in the condition shown pop up on GB now and then and usually sell for a bit less than the $1195 out the door I paid for this one.  There is no sales tax on firearms in WV.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a model 36, no grenade launching mod in my hands at the Syracuse gun show.  The owner really wanted to unload it and kept lowering the price.  I kick myself for not buying it for $225.   It was in nice shape but not in virgin shape like the OP’s.   At the time I was trying to slow my milsurpitis.

I have had flare ups since then.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PaulinNE] [#18]
Nice write up/pictures.   I took advantage of a Memorial Day sale and pre ordered one of these rifles.  My matching numbers rifle is in similar condition except mine has a G serial number.  My first French rifle and I am happy with my purchase.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit to add:   Thanks for the translated manual
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Your ongoing translation of French manuals is a service to the world at large, OP, glad you got a beautiful rifle to go with your collection.

Remind me again why the French went w/ a rear-lugged bolt on the MAS 36, after all the trouble the Brits had with theirs over the years?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Ordered one yesterday because of you damnit, now I need to find my mas 44 to round out collection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict] [#24]
Bwaaaa haw haw haw ha!  I have corrupted your mind !!!!  

Please post some pictures when it arrives!
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
Ordered one yesterday because of you damnit, now I need to find my mas 44 to round out collection.
View Quote

Fuuuuu... I need a -44, too.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I consider myself very lucky to have a Mle 44 in both finishes, an early example in lack paint over park, and a later one that is only phosphated.

type Status report

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Well now I just hate you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#28]
lol.  They are out there and pop up from time to time.  Keep at it and you'll find one my friend.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I briefly had one that had been sporterized and converted to .257 Roberts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jsg7162:
Nice rifle and post.  Congrats! I miss the golden days of milsurps.
View Quote

Ditto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top