Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2024 9:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer]
So!   I'm an engineer.  And getting older ever day, so more idiosynchronous no doubt :)   An optimizer.  And as a reloader there are three tiers.

Match ammo - that goes in proper ammo boxes

General purpose usually in ammo boxes

Field fire/forget - this is older brass (or FC .223 or blazer 9mm brass) and so I'm dumping.  This goes in "field package", which is usually bulk box of old packages I'm dumping.  Basically, whatever random household boxes or whatever, so that I throw away the brass on location, and even the package/box.

I also make informational labels for my loads, and print those up - which I apply to the field package.

And so for this posts topic.   And the random walk of life that gets one where they are.

I recently got a 9mm Stribog - that I LOVE and burn ammo through like water.

And so my 9mm interest for field blasting ammo suddenly is in increments of 30 rounds

Spousal unit likes a nice espresso cappichio, so she got this

Which takes these pods
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

And as it turns out - those boxes happen to perfectly hold 90 rounds of ball 9mm.  Which is 3 mags

Which packages tidy for a 3-mag/box field fire reloads and dump run, like this

900 rnds:

Some of you will think this is kind of clever.  Some will eye roll so hard as to cause vision damage.

Enjoy!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#2]
.30 cal can lined with VCI paper + desiccant pack.

Polish the ammo prior to dumping it in the can, wear clean gloves so no oil from your hands gets on the ammo…… done.  

I also will line a ziploc freezer bag with VCI paper and use that in say a plastic ammo can that can’t seal like a GI can will.  

I would not trust random cardboard in direct contact to ammo, good way to have a corrosion issue years down the road.  (Think you want low acid paper for direct contact).  Have seen it before, don’t want it happening to my reloads.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac556:
.30 cal can lined with VCI paper + desiccant pack.

Polish the ammo prior to dumping it in the can, wear clean gloves so no oil from your hands gets on the ammo…… done.  

I also will line a ziploc freezer bag with VCI paper and use that in say a plastic ammo can that can’t seal like a GI can will.  

I would not trust random cardboard in direct contact to ammo, good way to have a corrosion issue years down the road.  (Think you want low acid paper for direct contact).  Have seen it before, don’t want it happening to my reloads.
View Quote

Excellent point.  This is only a good usable practice for ammo that's intended to be fired in the next few months or so.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I love it.

I hate throwing things away and finding creating uses for what would otherwise be thrown away.

I especially like how they all fit into the larger box for storage
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 6:30:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#5]
I like the compartmentalization myself.

I think I must have been a Shaker in a past life:

Attachment Attached File

But for me, GI surplus ammo cans and their clones are where it is at.

1.  Water poof/water resistant
2.  Stackable
3.  Has a handle
4.  Can hook a shoulder strap onto the handle,

EDIT:

6.  With the correct hardware, the ammo can, can be locked closed

7.  Lastly, and this will sound gross… where I used to live over in Illinois, when I would walk my dogs at Oh Dark Thirty, there would be roaches in and out of the street gutters/drains and sidewalks:

Attachment Attached File

So I hate having paper/cardboard products around.

EDIT:  subject/verb agreement

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Bulk 223 and 9mm go in 30 cal cans right off the press.

For portability to the range, I use the G-Code bang boxes. They are fantastic. The 3-pack with the carrier is perfection.

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Bulk reloads go in labeled .50 cans for convenience of stacking and moving. Ammo goes to the range in draw string bags made from old blue jeans legs. I have dozens of both. Only long range target ammunition and load work ups go in MTM boxes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Love camouflage whenever possible, but I just fill up some heavy duty zipper bags and toss them in a plastic ammo can.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Bulk stuff stored in 50 Cal ammo cans with desiccant packets.
MTM boxes to the range works well for me.
Save for ammo for the S&W 625 45 ACP ammo is stored in moonclips then zip lock bags to the range.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 6:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#11]
A coworker of mine has several older teenage boys and they eat a lot of sandwich lunch meat (Hillshire Farms specifically).

I get generally the 1lb containers but I like the 1/2lb ones for range ammo which hold right at 100rds 5.56 and 250rds 9mm.

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:
A coworker of mine has several older teenage boys and they eat a lot of sandwich lunch meat (Hillshire Farms specifically).

I get generally the 1lb containers but I like the 1/2lb ones for range ammo which hold right at 100rds 5.56 and 250rds 9mm.

https://i.imgur.com/WS3HaHs.jpeg
View Quote

Oh, yeah, I use those too.

I strongly  prefer those $5.00 MTM type plastic mini 30 cal ammo boxes from Sportsman's Warehouse.  Cheap enough, strong enough, and just large enough to hold a good run of ammo - about 500 9mm/30 luger/38 special.  They will also hold ~200 magnum rifle.

Not afraid to scuff them up at $5.  A hundred bucks will buy 20 of them, and I probably will when I stop by Sportsman's again.

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 4:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#13]
The shooter's body position looks painful.  

Packaging idea is interesting.

I bought these on sale. I can sell them for what I paid, so they are also disposable in my mind.  I also am an aficionado of labels.

I got tired of stuffing and unstuffing plastic 50 round ammo boxes, so I retired almost all of them.  Only specialty things remain in some of them.

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
The shooter's body position looks painful.  

Packaging idea is interesting.  

I bought these on sale. I can sell them for what I paid, so they are also disposable in my mind.  I also am an aficionado of labels.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/ammo_cans_JPG-2820987.jpg

I got tired of stuffing and unstuffing plastic 50 round ammo boxes, so I retired almost all of them.  Only specialty things remain in some of them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/ammo-2980606.jpg
View Quote

Same approach here.  30 cal plastic ammo cans for like $8 a pop, I have about 10 of them in rotation.  Fill them, label them, put load data on inside of lid, stack them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top