Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2024 4:06:12 PM EDT
Hello Everyone,

My go to load for 9mm is a 147g coated lead RN or flat nose bullet loaded to 1.15 OAL with 4.4 grains of power pistol. It is near max but has never given me any trouble. Been using Agula SPP for the last year. It is what my club has in stock. They have given me trouble in the past failing to fire from time to time. One in 200 or so. Second time through and they always fire.  I loaded up another batch with a new box of Agulia primers. Luckly a spring broke in my 650 or I would have loaded 1000 of these. Fortunately I only loaded 300.

In a G19 and Sig X-Five one out of 20 or so pierces the primer. I can't find a lot number on the box to share. Kind of bummed. I'm sitting on 10,000 or so of them. Going to email them and see what they say.

Anyone else having this issue with them?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 6:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#1]
Those three all appear to be from the Sig, as they don’t have Glock primer characteristics.  
So is it just the one gun actually piercing them?

Sounds like you should dial it down a bit and see what happens.  Might be that this primer batch is thinner, or less ductile, or it could be that the prior batch was just thicker than normal.

Or the Sig might have a firing pin protrusion a little longer than normal.  

Lots of possibilities.  Figuring out which gun is really doing it is step #1 out of about 10 steps to resolve it…. Step 2 is trying to figure out estimated pressure for the load you are doing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
tac556,

Thanks for your answer. I only noticed after shooting the Sig first when picking up brass. At that point I had shot about 50 rounds. When switching to the Glock I was careful to check each piece of brass so it only happened twice with the Glock. I've misplaced those cases.

I'm going to try reducing the load by half a grain. I'm not sure it will make minor power factor. First world problems.

And I did find the lot number under the flap of the box.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 8:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#3]
I agree that those cases weren't shot with a G19 and must be the Sig. Check the firing pin on the Sig to see if there are any gas cut marks in it.

If the tip doesn't look smooth, you'll likely need to replace it...unless of course it's thin primer cups.

Try some other loads and see if it still pierces the primers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top