Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 161
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
PC is 98% complete. Mainly trying to figure out where to place an IFAK. I have my biggest ifak on the backpack which I considered my "3rd line" gear and i'll basically be carrying whenever I have my PC on but would like to have one on my PC as well.

I was maybe thinking of placing some chest seals, gauze, hemostatic agents, NPA, needle and some iburprofen inside my front PC. Since the plates are multicurve there is a little gap that I can fill them in. Just unsure of how comfortable it will feel.

Radio is a baofeng and is placed in the back because if I do use it, it means there's another person w/ me who can turn it on etc...

The iceplate holds 1.5L but the flatpack has the 3L camelpack pouch that I can throw on if necessary.

I repurposed the camelback pouch as a PC attached backpack since it was smaller than my flatpack (plus), much lower profile and I can remove it much easier via clips rather than re-sewing the molle straps.

I have a TAG GP pouch in the front that I can store whatever (zipped up dump pouch), but plan on mainly using it to store protein bars (army marches on its stomach) etc... and since the front mags have the magpul assisted rubber thingies, it doesn't hinder my ability to grab the two mags under it.

Any other critique to my setup is much welcomed!

Radio wire/antenna management:

Front:
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCUrk] [#2]
Wont say anything bad or good about how anything is set up as I dont have a PC, but IFAK wise, if you dont have a tourniquet, you need to get one.

One day I will get one....PC that is....

ETA:

I was maybe thinking of placing some chest seals, gauze, hemostatic agents, NPA, needle and some iburprofen inside my front PC. Since the plates are multicurve there is a little gap that I can fill them in. Just unsure of how comfortable it will feel.

That is assuming this is what you are carrying as your plate IFAK.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
Wont say anything bad or good about how anything is set up as I dont have a PC, but IFAK wise, if you dont have a tourniquet, you need to get one.

ETA:

View Quote
Thanks for your input, boog can start any day but LARPing can start anytime hope you get your PC soon! Currently I have 4 TQ in total:

1x CAT TQ on my belt
1x CAT TQ on the brace of my firearm
1x CAT TQ on the bottom of my PC right below the triple mag pouch in front
1x Tourni-Kwik Compression Tourniquet in the IFAK attached to the flat pack
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Phokus makes IFAKs designed to fit inside plate bags but I don't know How much space they need vs how much space you have.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mend0k:
PC is 98% complete. Mainly trying to figure out where to place an IFAK. I have my biggest ifak on the backpack which I considered my "3rd line" gear and i'll basically be carrying whenever I have my PC on but would like to have one on my PC as well.

Radio is a baofeng and is placed in the back because if I do use it, it means there's another person w/ me who can turn it on etc...

The iceplate holds 1.5L but the flatpack has the 3L camelpack pouch that I can throw on if necessary.

I repurposed the camelback pouch as a PC attached backpack since it was smaller than my flatpack (plus), much lower profile and I can remove it much easier via clips rather than re-sewing the molle straps.

I have a TAG GP pouch in the front that I can store whatever (zipped up dump pouch), but plan on mainly using it to store protein bars (army marches on its stomach) etc... and since the front mags have the magpul assisted rubber thingies, it doesn't hinder my ability to grab the two mags under it.

View Quote
That looks like a very thorough setup. If you're looking for constructive critique (please dont take this as an insult whatsoever!!), I'd try and find a way to scale that down a bit. All of that kit has got to weigh comfortably north of what, 30lbs?

Move around in full kit for two hours and I'll wager you'll be absolutely cooked. Since you have a flat pack, consider moving more kit onto it to allow you to run the carrier in slicker fashion. I guarantee you'll end up training in it more often, which is the whole point. Armor without sustained mobility is a recipie for it sitting in the closet.

Also, I'd keep IFAK contents separate from anything else. Vacuum seal them and put em in a dedicated pouch to keep everything sterile. IFAKs really shouldn't be touched until/unless you need them. If riding inside the plate bag, there's a good chance you get the contents dirty and/or damaged.

My 2c.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
That looks like a very thorough setup. If you're looking for constructive critique (please dont take this as an insult whatsoever!!), I'd try and find a way to scale that down a bit. All of that kit has got to weigh comfortably north of what, 30lbs?

Move around in full kit for two hours and I'll wager you'll be absolutely cooked. Since you have a flat pack, consider moving more kit onto it to allow you to run the carrier in slicker fashion. I guarantee you'll end up training in it more often, which is the whole point. Armor without sustained mobility is a recipie for it sitting in the closet.

Also, I'd keep IFAK contents separate from anything else. Vacuum seal them and put em in a dedicated pouch to keep everything sterile. IFAKs really shouldn't be touched until/unless you need them. If riding inside the plate bag, there's a good chance you get the contents dirty and/or damaged.

My 2c.
View Quote
No offense taken whatsoever. Yeah I haven't run it fully stocked yet, but yeah I assume it would be heavy. I'm not sure what to remove to lighten it down w/ though. Should I just carry 3 mags in front and have my sides clear? Aside from that, the only other thing that weighs a lot other than the plates themselves is the iceplate when it's filled, but I would think that water is a "necessity" no?

I'm taking it out hiking in a few weeks so I guess i'll find out then. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd consider dropping 2-3 of the side mags (can always plus up if needed), and maybe move 2 to a belt if you definitely need more than the 4 on your PC and 1 in your rifle. I'd also consider moving the radio forward some to where you can reach it (user preference), as he may not be right on top of you to change channels, etc when/if needed. I ended up sliding my fourth mag/IFAK back on the cummerbund in order to move the radio forward. I'm not an authority though, just what I found through tons of training, AARs, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#8]
Originally Posted By Firefighter503:
I'd consider dropping 2-3 of the side mags (can always plus up if needed), and maybe move 2 to a belt if you definitely need more than the 4 on your PC and 1 in your rifle. I'd also consider moving the radio forward some to where you can reach it (user preference), as he may not be right on top of you to change channels, etc when/if needed. I ended up sliding my fourth mag/IFAK back on the cummerbund in order to move the radio forward. I'm not an authority though, just what I found through tons of training, AARs, etc.
View Quote
Think this is sound advice. I try to keep the cummerbund as slick as is possible. Putting stuff on it limits mobility and just isn't very comfortable.

As for magazines, my setup is three rifle + one pistol on the PC then one addtl rifle and two addtl pistol on the belt. If I'm ever in a situation where seven magazines is insufficient, honestly, my survivability is going to be extremely low and I probably made a serious mistake. To me the carrier is about hedging risk, not having something by my side for 'end of the world'. If the latter happens I dont think extra mags in my backpack vs on my person will make the difference. How capable we want our setup to be is subjective and personal, of course.

ETA: my carrier as of right now. It's not going to keep me alive in a zombie invasion, but I can accept that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
Think this is sound advice. I try to keep the cummerbund as slick as is possible. Putting stuff on it limits mobility and just isn't very comfortable.

As for magazines, my setup is three rifle + one pistol on the PC then one addtl rifle and two addtl pistol on the belt. If I'm ever in a situation where seven magazines is insufficient, honestly, my survivability is going to be extremely low and I probably made a serious mistake. To me the carrier is about hedging risk, not having something by my side for 'end of the world'. If the latter happens I dont think extra mags in my backpack vs on my person will make the difference. How capable we want our setup to be is subjective and personal, of course.

ETA: my carrier as of right now. It's not going to keep me alive in a zombie invasion, but I can accept that.
https://i.imgur.com/bbBFLnXr.jpg
View Quote
Both of you guys points are quite reasonable, il keep them in mind. The other thing is what is that ifak your running under your PC? And does it get in the way of your belt when you bend over or if sitting down?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#10]

Both of you guys points are quite reasonable, il keep them in mind. The other thing is what is that ifak your running under your PC? And does it get in the way of your belt when you bend over or if sitting down?
View Quote
It's an HSGI admin pouch - any admin pouch will do. The pouch naturally folds inwards and takes up vacant space when I sit. If you carrier is worn properly (IE up high) you should have some clearance in your torso. I'm 6' and lean so that plays a role. It's not the height of comfort, but everything about wearing a PC is about an appropriate compromise between utility and capability.

IFAK is sealed and simple: chest seals, gauze, hemostatic gauze, nasopharyngeal, gloves, alcohol prep pads, TQ, tape, and shears.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:42:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#11]

https://i.imgur.com/f1Jra4rl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/qvp3hkhl.jpg

Front:
https://i.imgur.com/gZs9XyJl.jpg
View Quote
What I’d do:

- Drop 2-3 mags from PC

- Radio to weak side (~2 o’clock) where you can reach it. The buddy system would be ok if civilians had across-the-board equipment standardization and the same buddy all the time but IRL you get what you can take and what are the chances your buddy will know how to operate your Baofeng vs. an Icom, Harris, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc.?

- IFAK in one of the spots where you dropped a mag

The HSLD guys have run two-part, front-back, behind-the-plate IFAKs for a while but the problem with that IRL is that no one at a VA 2A Rally (gone sideways) is going to know where your IFAK is when you are unconscious and bleeding out. Better to run something easily identifiable like:

Attachment Attached File

For reference:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:

ETA:

View Quote
I have two on my PC
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

What I’d do:

- Drop 2-3 mags from PC

- Radio to weak side (~2 o’clock) where you can reach it. The buddy system would be ok if civilians had across-the-board equipment standardization and the same buddy all the time but IRL you get what you can take and what are the chances your buddy will know how to operate your Baofeng vs. an Icom, Harris, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc.?

The HSLD guys have run two-part, front-back, behind-the-plate IFAKs for a while but the problem with that IRL is that no one at a VA 2A Rally (gone sideways) is going to know that when they are working on you. Better to run something easily identifiable like:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/567E3130-0DE0-495E-9C90-6C9A0BC1C4B6_jpe-1290581.JPG

For reference:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/252A347B-B8C2-45F3-B347-D3B2B97F8D9B_png-1290585.JPG
View Quote
I assume this works on the premise that it's being used on the person that needs medical attention? Because if this is intended to be used on someone else, then someone who isn't injured will drop their plate while getting out the ifak.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By vjf915:

I assume this works on the premise that it's being used on the person that needs medical attention? Because if this is intended to be used on someone else, then someone who isn't injured will drop their plate while getting out the ifak.
View Quote
Yes, it's for whoever's been shot
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#15]
Originally Posted By vjf915:

View Quote
Typically, your IFAK is used by a person rendering aid on YOU. The better your IFAK is accessible, stocked and organized, the better prepared the person doing the "fixing" is for the next casualty (as they can stay out of their personal (or assigned) medical supplies).

If you are part of a highly trained team and everyone knows that items A, B and C are in a vacuumed sealed bag behind your front plate and items X, Y and Z are in a vacuumed sealed bag behind your back plate, you are able to streamline your PC a bit in order to provide molle space for additional gear that a mission may require.

ARFcom's Joe 6-pack who does weekend warrior classes, probably isn't going to have a load out of frag, and smoke grenades so finding PC space for a quality IFAK shouldn't present a problem.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep as other have said probably not a great idea. While it is a way to save space on the carrier, it is not readily identifiable, and for someone who doesn't know you or your set up it is probably the last place someone would look. On top of that, on some carriers the plates are not easily accessible, and double that when they are being worn; it would be a nightmare to access. Not exactly a good situation if you caught lead. I personally like a rip away EMT pouch carried on the carrier or belt. Guys I train with also like TacMed drop leg kit. Identification and accessibility are key when your bleeding. Also, remember that if you find yourself hit, chances are your buddies around you will need to be dealing with the threat first before rendering aid, and may not even realize your hit. Make sure you can access your OWN IFAK and TQ. Practice self application. It may be a minute or two before someone frees up to help you or notices your hit.  Lay there and bleed til someone helps is not the best plan for survival.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NayKid] [#17]
Just ordered a Spiritus MK4 along with an AXL clip adapter and Velcro panel to mount on one of my Grey Ghost Gear MPCs for testing. If all goes well I will probably use a similar setup on my larger carrier.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I have no PC or armor plates but looking to add both for a SHTF situation. Most likely do a PC first then add some LVL3+ later. I am 6'8 220lbs. Recommendations for size and product? I'm assuming Large but i have seen guys say it is preference. I am an athlete and feel like it would be best to utilize that. I feel like it makes sense with what guys have been saying that mobility, aiming dexterity and speed is a better defence than being an armored turtle.

Thanks for whatever yall got!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Aliasness:
I have no PC or armor plates but looking to add both for a SHTF situation. Most likely do a PC first then add some LVL3+ later. I am 6'8 220lbs. Recommendations for size and product? I'm assuming Large but i have seen guys say it is preference. I am an athlete and feel like it would be best to utilize that. I feel like it makes sense with what guys have been saying that mobility, aiming dexterity and speed is a better defence than being an armored turtle.

Thanks for whatever yall got!
View Quote
Search function: body armor or plate carrier.
The plates are subjective and it'll come down to what you can afford and what is available.
PCs: Ferro, Spiritus, ESSTAC. Look on the EE.
Start with a good belt and chest rig. Integrate your PC when you find a setup that works.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]

https://i.imgur.com/f1Jra4rl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/qvp3hkhl.jpg

Front:
https://i.imgur.com/gZs9XyJl.jpg
View Quote
Not bad though I'd look at maybe dropping off one or two of the carbine mags.  I would make sure I keep one staged for support side reloads
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mend0k] [#22]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

Not bad though I'd look at maybe dropping off one or two of the carbine mags.  I would make sure I keep one staged for support side reloads
View Quote
Yeah I changes it up a bit. Moved the radio up front and turned the front pouch into an IFAK and placed it on my right side.

I still have the 10 speeds as my "general purpose" pouches since they're pretty much flat when empty. You'll see them here with mags still in them just because right now it's set up as a grab n go PC. When I use it, I remove the pack on the back and run the sides slick.

Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Yeah I changes it up a bit. Moved the radio up front and turned the front pouch into an IFAK and placed it on my right side.

I still have the 10 speeds as my "general purpose" pouches since they're pretty much flat when empty. You'll see them here with mags still in them just because right now it's set up as a grab n go PC. When I use it, I remove the pack on the back and run the sides slick.

https://i.imgur.com/1ZOyyrRl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/e2buyQul.jpg
View Quote
That looks a lot better IMO. I love the location of the Tourniquet. Still too many mags but whatevs...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
Looks good man, I'm sure you'll appreciate the increased mobility+comfort when running it slicker (sans pack and cummerbund mags)
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
My fairly simple First Spear setup:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:
My fairly simple First Spear setup:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20200228_131134_jpg-1294893.JPG
View Quote
Toobz for life simple is the way to go. My setup is down to 13lbs unloaded; IFAK is off it because I'm bringing it it on an upcoming backpacking trip.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Just reminded me... I need a multi tool still for my PC...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Plate Carrier:
Mayflower APC
HSGI Taco x3
Baofeng UV5r with PTT & Rope Antenna
Gadsden dynamics rip away IFAK
North American Rescue Tourniquet holder
5.11 12 hour pack with bladder
AR500 Steel Plates x 2

Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#29]
Originally Posted By devildogljb:
Plate Carrier:
Mayflower APC
HSGI Taco x3
AR500 Steel Plates x 2

https://i.imgur.com/h6knDTY.jpg?1
View Quote
Either 2 or 3 of your mags are facing the wrong way.

I’m a dumbass. Carry on.

You guys are making me want to post my 6094 PC.

Edit:

Link to rope antenna?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#30]

I’m a dumbass. Carry on.

Edit:

Link to rope antenna?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Plate Carrier:
Mayflower APC
HSGI Taco x3
AR500 Steel Plates x 2

I’m a dumbass. Carry on.

Edit:

Link to rope antenna?
No worries the war belt location messes with your mind a little. Here is the link for the antenna https://caatailantennas.com/products/baofeng-wearable-antenna-package
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#31]

No worries the war belt location messes with your mind a little. Here is the link for the antenna https://caatailantennas.com/products/baofeng-wearable-antenna-package
View Quote
Thanks. I’ve never seen that particular one before. How do you like it? Range affected?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Thanks. I’ve never seen that particular one before. How do you like it? Range affected?
View Quote
Welcome. I would suggest it to any one looking for a product like this.  Range i do not feel I have the right to comment at this time as i have not had time to fully test it with working 6 to 7 days a week for the last couple of months but quick test id say its good to go. But this my needs and your needs can be two different things.  I dont think you would regret the purchase.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Moving the radio to where you can reach it is a better idea, IMO. With a PTT, all you may ever need to do is just turn the radio on or off but relying on someone else to be available to do it isn't as efficient.
If I'm going to use a radio it will be because I'm separated from the people I need to communicate with, likely alone. I want to be able to turn the radio on or off by myself and also be able to access the radio without removing gear, in case I need to.
In all honesty, hopefully without sounding like a big jerk, the main purpose I envision myself using my radios would be a situation where I need to go somewhere, maybe by myself, and possibly forcefully take food or supplies from someone else. This would obviously be a last resort, SHTF situation. I want to be able to keep my family (who are likely worried about my situation) aware of what's going on when I'm away.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Plate Carrier:
Mayflower APC
HSGI Taco x3
AR500 Steel Plates x 2

View Quote
How did you route your antenna? Can you snap a pic? I have the same radio/antenna and have it mounted similarly and the antenna run along the cummerbund to the rear plate pocket, but I don't know enough about radios/antennas to know the best configuration for it (but I assume as vertical as possible). Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]

What I’d do:

- Drop 2-3 mags from PC

The HSLD guys have run two-part, front-back, behind-the-plate IFAKs for a while but the problem with that IRL is that no one at a VA 2A Rally (gone sideways) is going to know where your IFAK is when you are unconscious and bleeding out. Better to run something easily identifiable like:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/567E3130-0DE0-495E-9C90-6C9A0BC1C4B6_jpe-1290581.JPG

For reference:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/252A347B-B8C2-45F3-B347-D3B2B97F8D9B_png-1290585.JPG
View Quote
We got issued those plate IFAKs, I would not suggest them.  Not only was it actually pretty uncomfortable but nobody knew it was there but me, and half the time I forgot all about it.  Mine sits in the camelback sleeve of my gun range backpack now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:41:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#36]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
If you dont mind. Care to post some pics of your panel setups?

Also what packs are you using?
Just trying to get some ideas because I dont have a pack setup for my PC yet and I'm trting to decide which way to go
View Quote
@PA-Minuteman

Sorry, thought I responded to this.  Ill try to get some pics, my panels are in my locker at work and no phones in the building, but ill see if I can pull them out next range we do.

I have a bunch of packs, but I typically "run" a series of three, meaning I always deploy with three different sizes.  A small day pack, a small/medium assault pack, or a ruck.

Heres what I kind of cycle through depending on what type of mission ill be doing, I went through a pretty nice selection of other bags to get to these, with most consideration going to ability to wear over armor, size/layout, and quality.

Day pack:

SORD helmet hydration carrier  (one of my favorites now, can be molle'd direct or has some decent straps)
Ares Combat VII (has QD buckles for direct attach, but shoulder straps are pure shit)

Assault pack:

Mystery ranch RATS (my favorite of the three, has BVS for armor, and is short enough to not push on my molle belt while being exandable to the sides)
Mystery ranch tri zip (decent enough bag, I usually use it without armor)
Eberlestock Lo drag (pretty long with a wierd oblong shape so no larger stuff can fit on the inside, but has a scabbard which has been useful)

Ruck:

Mystery Ranch SATL  (nice layout, wear well with BVS, not a fan of the long front pockets on this or the 6500)
Mystery Ranch 6500  (essential a larger SATL, great to live out of for a long time, so big its pretty tough to manage with armor on)
Eberlestock Terminator  (great pads and straps, decent size, pretty heavy as is though)

Heres some pics of more relevant PC mounted stuff

SORD helmet hydration (plus additional pouches)

Ares Combat VII
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Setup to run Cola Warrior southeast. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#38]
How did you route your antenna? Can you snap a pic? I have the same radio/antenna and have it mounted similarly and the antenna run along the cummerbund to the rear plate pocket, but I don't know enough about radios/antennas to know the best configuration for it (but I assume as vertical as possible). Thanks.
View Quote
Sorry for the late response working and packing to move from Virginia to West Virginia. No real need to to post a video but i can send one to you through PM but i simply routed it through the cummerbund up the back to the shoulder weak side shoulder pad. You can kind of see it going through the shoulder pad (tan in color). My wife has the same radio and we use it for a Oh Sh!t radio if sh!t hits the fan. We currently live near Quantico and a little too close to DC if you ask me. Plus its nice to monitor frequencies.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terrato] [#39]
Visible:
- Ferro Concepts Slickster
- Spiritus Micro Fight MK4 placard w/ triple 5.56 insert and large flap
- Spiritus strap covers (calling them shoulder pads would be extremely charitable)
- NAR CAT TQ in Tactical Tailor TQ cover (attached with some spare shock cord I cut out of a jacket, vs. the set Spiritus sells for $10)
- Sharpie for scoring targets, etc.

Pocket on the placard contains:
- 1x sealed Israeli bandage
- 1x chem light
- Thyrm Cell Vault w/ 2x 123A and 1x 1/3N batteries (for Surefire light and Aimpoint on primary rifle)

Plates are TAP Gamma Level 3+. A bit bulky by today's standards, but they still fit the carrier, and the weight is pretty reasonable compared to AR500.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Sorry for the late response working and packing to move from Virginia to West Virginia. No real need to to post a video but i can send one to you through PM but i simply routed it through the cummerbund up the back to the shoulder weak side shoulder pad. You can kind of see it going through the shoulder pad (tan in color). My wife has the same radio and we use it for a Oh Sh!t radio if sh!t hits the fan. We currently live near Quantico and a little too close to DC if you ask me. Plus its nice to monitor frequencies.
View Quote
No worries. I'd hardly call a couple hours a late response haha. I'm in PWC myself. Jealous you are heading to WV.

I'm more concerned with if the routing done improperly (zigzag, horizontal, vertical, back and forth, etc.) could have an adverse affect on range/clarity. I'll grab some pics of mine this week for feedback.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#41]
No worries. I'd hardly call a couple hours a late response haha. I'm in PWC myself. Jealous you are heading to WV.

I'm more concerned with if the routing done improperly (zigzag, horizontal, vertical, back and forth, etc.) could have an adverse affect on range/clarity. I'll grab some pics of mine this week for feedback.
View Quote
I did mine in a back and forth pattern vertically on one row till the top of the back of the carrier then vertical to the shoulder pad. Now i have not noticed and adverse affects but i can not speak for any other antennas other than mine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#42]

I did mine in a back and forth pattern vertically on one row till the top of the back of the carrier then vertical to the shoulder pad. Now i have not noticed and adverse affects but i can not speak for any other antennas other than mine.
View Quote
Cool. Sounds similar to mine. I went up, and then took a right across the top of carrier instead of onto shoulder, but went over shoulder like you initially. I'll test both this week and see if one works better than the other.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CheckEngine] [#43]

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool. Sounds similar to mine. I went up, and then took a right across the top of carrier instead of onto shoulder, but went over shoulder like you initially. I'll test both this week and see if one works better than the other.
View Quote
Im running a 5.11 pack on the back of mine so I had a little bit of a concern with doing running it across so i just ran it to the shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:45:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#45]
Best I can do right now. Better than nothing. "Po' but proud" was the bumper sticker back in the day. Cheap Condor carrier, two AR500 IIIA plates, (all gifts, BTW), with 4 D&H AR mags and two P-10C mags. That's it for now. When the boy gets out of school I'll repo my one remaining AR500 III plate - it's in his backpack in front of a IIIA soft armor panel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#46]
A Louis Vuitton plate carrier, LOL
It looks like a 80's shower curtain but it may actually camo fairly well in a deciduous forest this time of year. I'm looking into the woods right now and the general pattern of leaves covering the ground actually looks similar to this . If the brown had a bit more of a red tint, it would be a perfect match.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Thanks. I've never seen that particular one before. How do you like it? Range affected?
View Quote
Looks just like the one Disco32 sells.  In my experience testing one, they are an awful antenna.  The idea I guess is for small unit comms where everyone is relatively nearby, you take the severe hit in range for the convenience of tucking the antenna away.  You will get all sorts of pattern distortion and coupling effects routing an antenna against a vest like this, and it will be a very poor signal radiator.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#48]
I may have spoken too soon. A friend I have done video work for in the past saw that picture I posted, and called me - "I will give you decent gear if you promise me to burn that airsoft crap..."

TacProGear Commercial Modular Tactical Vest, (no plates)
Unknown ASP pouch
High Ground 5.56 Drop Down Admin Pouch Double mag
Tactical Tailor Horizontal Accessory Pouch
S.O. Tech BLOCS Quick Eject Tourniquet carrier - gonna need a tourniquet now.
S.O. Tech Viper Flat IFAK - empty, but who could possibly argue. I will need the medical list they suggest.
High Ground Compression Pouch Short, (?)
Tactical Tailor Fight Light Joey Hydration pouch with bladder.
Did I mention all of this gear is NEW?

Attachment Attached File

I think I'll let him burn the Condor stuff now...holy carp, that was a heck of a nice thing to do.

Now if I could just figure out where/how to USE this stuff...they didn't have this type of gear when I wore a military uniform...
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner01] [#49]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
I may have spoken too soon. A friend I have done video work for in the past saw that picture I posted, and called me - "I will give you decent gear if you promise me to burn that airsoft crap..."

TacProGear Commercial Modular Tactical Vest, (no plates)
Unknown ASP pouch
High Ground 5.56 Drop Down Admin Pouch Double mag
Tactical Tailor Horizontal Accessory Pouch
S.O. Tech BLOCS Quick Eject Tourniquet carrier - gonna need a tourniquet now.
S.O. Tech Viper Flat IFAK - empty, but who could possibly argue. I will need the medical list they suggest.
High Ground Compression Pouch Short, (?)
Tactical Tailor Fight Light Joey Hydration pouch with bladder.
Did I mention all of this gear is NEW?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/360589/New_plate_carrier_and_stuff_jpg-1299416.JPG

I think I'll let him burn the Condor stuff now...holy carp, that was a heck of a nice thing to do.

Now if I could just figure out where/how to USE this stuff...they didn't have this type of gear when I wore a military uniform...
View Quote
I would lay it out, see what feels natural for grabbing mags and remember you don't have to put everything on there.
Dont do this
Attachment Attached File

But something like this
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#50]
How about this? I added the hydration bladder and med pouch after I took the first pic. It seems hot, probably have the wrong shirt for it. Yes, I know our boys and girls overseas are wearing a whole lot more in much higher heat and so did I when i was in the Gulf over 3 decades ago...but fat and old now.

I will not pay to repair any system damaged by a picture of me causing it to recoil in horror and commit electronic suicide.

Attachment Attached File

The pouch top left as you look at it has only one thing in it to make it poof out - a can of SPAM. I guess I have tactical SPAM now...I just really have no idea what to put in these things.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 161
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top