Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Unique replacement (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2024 10:16:52 PM EDT
I have always been partial to Unique as my all around general purpose pistol powder. However with the on again/off again powder situation I want to come up with a back up plan in case it goes away.
What would you suggest for a versatile general purpose pistol type powder? Has to work with as many of the main player pistol cartridges. (38sp, 357mag, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm etc.)
I know, jack of all trades, master of none but at least it will keep these firearms operable where the more specialized ones won't.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
'Scribed.  Cause Unique is my favorite powder too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#2]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
I have always been partial to Unique as my all around general purpose pistol powder. However with the on again/off again powder situation I want to come up with a back up plan in case it goes away.
What would you suggest for a versatile general purpose pistol type powder? Has to work with as many of the main player pistol cartridges. (38sp, 357mag, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm etc.)
I know, jack of all trades, master of none but at least it will keep these firearms operable where the more specialized ones won't.
View Quote

Unfortunately there is no replacement for Unique. The fact it has been around a century means nothing else can really compare. There's other powders than can do as well, but every one of them is lacking that century of constant load data for every cartridge, even obsolete or obscure ones. If you throw shotguns into the mix, the number of powders that even work as good as Unique goes down dramatically. A case could be made for Alliant Green Dot, or even Alliant Herco, but both powders are less popular than Unique, and neither is likely to be available if Unique isn't.

Looking at Hodgdon, Universal is the obvious choice. The problem for me is that Universal isn't that great a performer for me. It's fine, but it's not Unique. Instead I actually think the better options are going to be either HS-6 or Longshot. I'm going to say HS-6 is the best Unique alternative there is. It's fast enough it's fine for target handgun loads, slow enough it's not nerfing you too bad on things like 9mm or 45 acp, and it's good shotgun powder for shotgun both heavier target and field loads. It's good in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. I don't know anything about 28 gauge.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTHP] [#3]
Bulllseye & blue dot are what i sub with.
Green dot & red dot are supposed to have pistol loading also.

Prefer unique 1st then bullseye then blue dot
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OTHP:
Bulllseye & blue dot are what i sub with.
Green dot & red dot are supposed to have pistol loading also.

Prefer unique 1st then bullseye then blue dot
View Quote

I too use Bluedot in everything. If looking for full ammo it's is the "Unique" of full power ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive my not keeping up, but what has happened with Unique?

Is it never going to be produced again?

Or this this just a shortage that might resolve in a year or two?

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Accurate #2 for 9mm, 38Spl, 357 Mag and 45 Colt with good results.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Alliant has said they are suspending shipments, of all their powders, until sometime next year.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]

win231/HP38

CFE-p

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

win231/HP38

View Quote
I use HP38 in 38, 357, 45LC, 45acp...

I am finishing up my last can of Unique - I use it for 45-70 cowboy long range loads... need to come up with something else :(
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#11]
WST (winchester super target)
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Titegroop and bullseye are my choices. I haven't seen a bottle unique in a long time here in co or wy. Wish I could find some so I can load some 20ga.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
There are lots of good suggestions above.

Another approach is to look at the powder burn rate chart and look at what’s close to Unique, and then see what you can find to buy.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2022/01/powder-burn-rate-comparison-table-download/
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]
unfortunately there will be a cascade effect of reloaders scrambling for what ever is left
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Look at the loads for CFE Pistol. I have not used it yet but it looks to be so wide ranging I bought two 8lb jugs. I have never bought more than a pound of stuff I have never used.

Ultimate Reloader has a video on it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Green Dots slightly faster burning than Unique, and Hercos a bit slower burning. For Hodgdon, 231/HP38 was always Uniques biggest competitor, but it probably a touch fast for heavier loads. Universal was reputed for many years to be a Unique competitor and is supposedly a little cleaner burning. AA #2 or #5, there are plenty of options.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#17]
How about Hodgdon Universal?

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ndtimer] [#18]
Originally Posted By johnnydjr:
How about Hodgdon Universal?

View Quote

How about a powder that has actually been available in the past 5 years or so?
I ordered a pair of 8 pound kegs of BE-86 before Alliant raised their prices 40%.  That was a few months before they announced they would not be filling any more orders this year.  I had already moved to Power Pistol when Unique became hard to find years ago, and since BE-86 was rumored to be less flash and boom than Power Pistol, yet with similar performance so I went all in on it.  So far, I have been happy with my choice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Win 231 or Win Autocomp.

Autocomp will do a wider range of things, start there.

I used to use a lot of Unique. Even the cleaner recipe is dirty.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 2ndtimer:

I ordered a pair of 8 pound kegs of BE-86 before Alliant raised their prices 40%.  That was a few months before they announced they would not be filling any more orders this year.  I had already moved to Power Pistol when Unique became hard to find years ago, and since BE-86 was rumored to be less flash and boom than Power Pistol, yet with similar performance so I went all in on it.  So far, I have been happy with my choice.
View Quote
Sorry 4lbs on my shelf. I refrain from replying to this forum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Piledriver2235:
WST (winchester super target)
View Quote
Good for .45ACP.  I didn't know and I had about 4 pounds leftover from shotshell reloading.  Some fellar here enlightened me and I was able to put every bit of it to use!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking at 231, no idea if it the best to switch over to but it does seem to have a wide range of usage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#23]
WSF
AA#5
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Sport Pistol is a decent replacement
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
WSF
View Quote

This.

I moved away from Unique a while back due to the fact that WSF was so much cleaner burning.

There is not as much load data for it but due to the fact that WSF is ever so slightly slower burning than Unique you can almost swap the Unique loads straight across to WSF.... IF YOU DO YOUR LOAD WORK UP AND DUE DILIGENCE.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Looking at 231, no idea if it the best to switch over to but it does seem to have a wide range of usage.
View Quote

Good choice

HP-38 is the same powder
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
win231/hp38

I only have unique because for a while those were unobtainium.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#31]
BE-86 is what you seek

You can load anything from 380 to magnum handgun with it.

It’s also an Alliant powder, but seems to be easier to come by than Unique at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
'Scribed.  Cause Unique is my favorite powder too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
I use Accurate #2 for 9mm, 38Spl, 357 Mag and 45 Colt with good results.
View Quote

? That sounds ok for plinking to medium loads but AA#5 would be better for full power loads in most of those cartridges.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:30:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#34]
Originally Posted By 2ndtimer:

I ordered a pair of 8 pound kegs of BE-86 before Alliant raised their prices 40%.  That was a few months before they announced they would not be filling any more orders this year.  I had already moved to Power Pistol when Unique became  hard to find years ago, and since BE-86 was rumored to be less flash and boom than Power Pistol, yet with similar performance so I went all in on it.  So far, I have been happy with my choice.
View Quote

Ditto on BE86 and its flash qualities.   I was looking to select a more modern featured powder a few years ago.  It came up in my research as well as WST and Sport Pistol.  Half due to modern features and half because the old tried and true favorites were always the first out of stock like BE, W231 and Unique.  The Unique is handy as there are a lot of uses in cast bullet rifle loads.  It in some ways replaced my SR4759 that for discontinued.

AA5 never gave the accuracy I was looking for in my revolvers.

I did pick a 4 pounder iirc the size of BE86 when it was a sleeper cheap about 3 years ago.   8 pounds of True Blue, 6 pounds of Sport Pistol, plus my stock of the older Clays Universal label. That is getting down there though.  Clays and Clays universal have been very good in the accuracy department.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Win 231 or Win Autocomp.

Autocomp will do a wider range of things, start there.

I used to use a lot of Unique. Even the cleaner recipe is dirty.
View Quote

Yea, i felt that even the improved Unique was still messy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By molar:
BE-86 is what you seek

You can load anything from 380 to magnum handgun with it.

It’s also an Alliant powder, but seems to be easier to come by than Unique at the moment.
View Quote

This.

It's not great for top end magnums but is usable. It makes a good .357 mag load for gp(158gr swc at 1150)

Which is kinda weird because. 38+p max hits 1kfps with the same 158.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Graf and Sons had some last week.

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
View Quote

Is an Alliant Powder and not .... going to be easy to find.

When it comes to universal pistol powder.....W231 and HP38 fit most handgun needs.  Does it provide optimum performance NO.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 3:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#40]
Originally Posted By GaryM:  Has to work with as many of the main player pistol cartridges. (38sp, 357mag, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm etc.)
View Quote

W231 will work for all these, and more.

Other than full power 357 magnum loads, where I use W296, it is the only pistol powder I use.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Unique replacement? Good idea... it's the least favorite pistol powder I've ever used.

Unburned flakes would get under the star extractor on my Python. Had to keep a toothbrush around to clean under the extractor so the cylinder would rotate freely again during trigger pull. Any other powder, no problem.

In 9mm, flakes everywhere... the ejection port, my arms, bench, etc.  I finally got rid of the last bit of unique a friend gifted me. I said good riddance, never going back for more.

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Unique replacement? Good idea... it's the least favorite pistol powder I've ever used.

Unburned flakes would get under the star extractor on my Python. Had to keep a toothbrush around to clean under the extractor so the cylinder would rotate freely again during trigger pull. Any other powder, no problem.

In 9mm, flakes everywhere... the ejection port, my arms, bench, etc.  I finally got rid of the last bit of unique a friend gifted me. I said good riddance, never going back for more.

View Quote

You were given shitty powder that was probably stored wrong. Old Unique was a little dirty, but that was just soot. Unburned flakes like that was never a characteristic of Unique. New Unique isn't even that dirty anymore since it was updated.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:12:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#43]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

You were given shitty powder that was probably stored wrong. Old Unique was a little dirty, but that was just soot. Unburned flakes like that was never a characteristic of Unique. New Unique isn't even that dirty anymore since it was updated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
Originally Posted By Blowout:

It sounds like the loads may have been too light.  Just guessing.  

WST or WSF seem to be very clean burning for me.  AA5 when run too low a pressure was leaving unturned granules.  Run it at pressure and it disappears.  Medium and Slow powders can burn incompletely when out of optimum parameters,  I tend to load more light loads for plinking and target shooting so I use more of the fast powders.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By rn22723:

Is an Alliant Powder and not .... going to be easy to find.

When it comes to universal pistol powder.....W231 and HP38 fit most handgun needs.  Does it provide optimum performance NO.  
View Quote

W231 was my go to for years and years.  I still have some.  Very good powder for target loads versus full power hunting loads.  I used far more of W231 than Bullseye.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
...It sounds like the loads may have been too light.  Just guessing.  
View Quote

My guess too

Unique is a great powder

I was in a gunstore years ago, and a guy came in asking for "uni-kwew" powder.

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:40:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#46]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

My guess too

Unique is a great powder

I was in a gunstore years ago, and a guy came in asking for "uni-kwew" powder.

View Quote

about as bad as my grade school guesses at pronounciation.  

Reading aloud from the textbook in second grade......”Grand Pricks” for Grand Prix.   and a year not two later giving a book report on the book “Dunkerque” I had no idea we say Dunkirk, I was saying it “Dunker Q”.   Hey I was just reading it as written.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I ordered some W-244 recently as a Unique substitute. Have only used it in. 38 special so far, and am happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By diesel2:
I ordered some W-244 recently as a Unique substitute. Have only used it in. 38 special so far, and am happy with it.
View Quote

Posted before about 244, it's a clean powder in my .38 158 grain loads.
Especially in snub nose.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Dad uses hp38/231 in everything.
My back up to my other backups is w244.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Unique replacement (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top