Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2024 4:19:31 PM EDT
Wonder how long it will really take to get this up and running? Has a Q1 2026 target date.

Firearms News
   - press release

D&M Holding Company, Inc. (D&M), an ammunition and energetics engineering company, is investing $70 million to expand its current White River Energetics (WRE) ammunition primer and energetics facility in Des Arc, Arkansas, and build a single-base, smokeless propellant factory.

"Currently, there is a worldwide shortage of smokeless propellant that is affecting munitions availability globally," said Dan Powers, President and CEO of D&M Holding Company, Inc. "This will be the first single-base propellant factory to be built in the United States in over 50 years."

White River Energetics currently has 125 employees at the Des Arc facility, with 73 new employees added in the past year. The expansion will create 100 new jobs and increase the Des Arc campus from 14,000 square feet to over 100,000 square feet of manufacturing space. Construction on the expansion is underway and expected to be completed in Q1 2026.

Link
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If it pans out, that is probably the best news I have heard for both factory ammunition and reloading powder in at least 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s great news!
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like good news, but... What happened to the "nitrocellulose that only comes from China" shortage?
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
Sounds like good news, but... What happened to the "nitrocellulose that only comes from China" shortage?
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe that’s just an excuse for the powder companies to double and triple their prices on reloaders.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 2:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#6]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
View Quote

When I read that statement, it was immediately clear to me they were talking about PRICE.

There is nothing climatic or genetic that is unique to the cotton grown in China.  It could also be produced here.  It SHOULD be produced here, as a matter of National security.  

The price escalation just provides commercial impetus to do so.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
If it pans out, that is probably the best news I have heard for both factory ammunition and reloading powder in at least 5 years.
View Quote

It’s fantastic news. Hodgon needs another competitor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought 5k of WRE factory seconds SP primers from AR a month ago.
So far all are going bang in various 9mm loads.
So more options produced in USA may be good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 3:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723] [#9]
I would think a lot of the special permit stuff has been done with primer facility up and running so they are not fight too much red tape.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Excellent news.  The situation for powder and primers in the USA is disgraceful from a national stockpile point of view.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#11]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
I would think a lot of the special permit stuff has been done with primer facility up and running so they are not fight too much red tape.
View Quote

I think that's the least of the worries. From what I understand, making extruded powders involves some very nasty processes. They are both immediately dangerous to the workers without special precautions, and also very hazardous to the environment. Like anything, both can be overcome, but it obviously isn't insignificant since the USA hasn't had it's own single base extruded powder plant in decades because of these problems. I am willing to bet there is a LOT of red tape in their future.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Ties to PSA?
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]

I think that's the least of the worries. From what I understand, making extruded powders involves some very nasty processes. They are both immediately dangerous to the workers without special precautions, and also very hazardous to the environment. Like anything, both can be overcome, but it obviously isn't insignificant since the USA hasn't had it's own single base extruded powder plant in decades because of these problems. I am willing to bet there is a LOT of red tape in their future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rn22723:

Surely. But they figured out primers and seem to be doing very well with significant volume. I reached out to them a little over a year ago to open a dealer account with an order of 100-200k primers and whatever their minimum was, I was well below it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top