Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2024 2:15:01 PM EDT
Now that I have 55 gr bullets figured out, what are some good powders for either Hornady 68 gr BTHP or the Sierra Match king 77 gr OTM? All I have at the moment is H335.  I will work up the load, just looking for powders to consider. Also primers used. I

have WSR and CCI #41. I have books to refer to, but looking for real world experience. Thanks all!
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
H-335 will work fine.

Tac would be my suggestion for a new powder.
View Quote

Thanks DF!  Got a few H335 on hand  and may grab  a lb or 2 of Tac to have on hand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is what has worked for me.

R-15 (not sure this is even available any more)
IMR8208 (good luck finding any)
AR-COMP (good luck fining any at a reasonable price)
N140 (fantastic and available at reasonable prices)
AA2230 (Only used with 69gr. Sierras but should work with 77s)
WW 748 - (Only used with 69gr. Sierras but should work with 77s)
Varget
StaBall Match
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
H335 is not a friend of heavier bullets.
The Hornady 68gr OTM SUCKS.  
The Sierra 69gr SMK or Nosler CC 69gr is what you want.
The Sierra 77gr SMK is the gold standard for magazine tolerant heavy bullets.

TAC as suggested rocks in the 69 and 77 bullets.  I have always liked CCI 450 primers with TAC or Rem 7.5
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay away from Alliant powder. Erratic supply chain! And COST
8208 is not consistently available it has been over a year since this current shipment hit our shores.
The Winchester powders are pretty much easy to lay hands on.  748 would not be my choice StaBall Match
Hodgdon Ball powders are easy to snag CFE 223
VV powders have been available N140 or N540
Accurate 2230 is not a friend of 69 grain bullets or heavier.
TAC is the one to get!  Measures like water and easy to get!
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everybody for the recommendations. I have seen Tac recommended a lot in other threads, but I like to hear from newer experiences and first hand. My friend's father passed away 2 years ago. He had reloaded since the mid 70's and left a TON of stuff

in his shop. My friend never really followed his father but I've got him interested, I wouldn't be surprised if many powders that have been suggested are in the shop.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By roland65:

Thanks DF!  Got a few H335 on hand  and may grab  a lb or 2 of Tac to have on hand.
View Quote

Just buy an 8 lb jug.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't look any further than Tac. It is really available, meters amazingly well, temperature stable, affordable compared to other powders. I've had good luck with 2520 but I hear it is not temperature stable. I haven't seen it though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#10]
If it's been over a year since your stores have seen 8208, you need to find better stores, simple as that. 8208 has been hard to get, but it was available last October, and it was available just a few weeks ago mid-late August. It hasn't even been that bad on price. Both times it's been cheaper than most powders.

Nothing wrong with Varget either. Despite apparently coming out of the same plant as 8208, it's been over stocked these past few years, I've never seen it out of stock. Prices aren't bad, but not good either. It's a consistent performer for most people.

I would definitely give a look at Vhitavouri powders such as N140. It may change in the future, but for whatever reason they are one of the least expensive powders, and seem to be in stock most places.

Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#11]
Originally Posted By carcrazysammy:
Don't look any further than Tac. It is really available, meters amazingly well, temperature stable, affordable compared to other powders. I've had good luck with 2520 but I hear it is not temperature stable. I haven't seen it though.
View Quote

Ramshot TAC is a solid choice, but it is not very temperature insensitive. It performs like a lot of classic ball powders. It can be worked around, but the same load at 95F will not perform similarly at 10F.

The three powders I listed above are much more resistant to temperature changes.

It is priced competitively compared to a lot of powders, but Vhitavouri N140 is about the same price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
View Quote

Well it has been at least 35 years since I used it so I have no idea how new lots perform. That being said it was quite good with the 69gr Sierra.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#13]
For 99.999% of shooters, "temperature sensitivity" is not a significant issue unless you are already loading at +max.

Otherwise, if shooting ball powder, or "temperature sensitive" stick powder, if its cold outside, and you are shooting at something crucially important at some truly significant distance, say 500+ yards, click the scope up a minute or so. Likewise, if its hot, and you zeroed in cold weather, click it down a minute or so.

If you do a lot of long distance shooting in a wide variety of temperatures, you will learn the small scope adjustments needed to squeeze the last iota of elevation-accuracy out of your gun/ammo combo. But very few people do any significant amount of precision cold-bore shooting at significant distance.

Most people never shoot at 500+ yards unless they are shooting at some gigantic piece of steel which is probably ten-times the elevation height than their bullet-trajectory is likely to be affected by "tempererature sensitivity."

Again, if you consider the max recommended charge in the loading manual to be a "starting load," you'll probably want to come off that some if its a really hot day.

TAC is an excellent powder for use in any application that calls for a medium-burn-rate rifle powder. I've burned somewhere in the ballpark of 20 pounds of it.
My preferred TAC load for 77 SMK loaded to magazine length is 24.2 grains. Very accurate, and leaves a bit of headroom such that I don't need to worry about puking primers on a hot summer day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bpm990d:
Here is what has worked for me.

R-15 (not sure this is even available any more)
IMR8208 (good luck finding any)
AR-COMP (good luck fining any at a reasonable price)
N140 (fantastic and available at reasonable prices)
AA2230 (Only used with 69gr. Sierras but should work with 77s)
WW 748 - (Only used with 69gr. Sierras but should work with 77s)
Varget
StaBall Match
View Quote

Add CFE223 and Tac to list
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
For 99.999% of shooters, "temperature sensitivity" is not a significant issue unless you are already loading at +max.

Otherwise, if shooting ball powder, or "temperature sensitive" stick powder, if its cold outside, and you are shooting at something crucially important at some truly significant distance, say 500+ yards, click the scope up a minute or so. Likewise, if its hot, and you zeroed in cold weather, click it down a minute or so.

If you do a lot of long distance shooting in a wide variety of temperatures, you will learn the small scope adjustments needed to squeeze the last iota of elevation-accuracy out of your gun/ammo combo. But very few people do any significant amount of precision cold-bore shooting at significant distance.

Most people never shoot at 500+ yards unless they are shooting at some gigantic piece of steel which is probably ten-times the elevation height than their bullet-trajectory is likely to be affected by "tempererature sensitivity."

Again, if you consider the max recommended charge in the loading manual to be a "starting load," you'll probably want to come off that some if its a really hot day.

TAC is an excellent powder for use in any application that calls for a medium-burn-rate rifle powder. I've burned somewhere in the ballpark of 20 pounds of it.
My preferred TAC load for 77 SMK loaded to magazine length is 24.2 grains. Very accurate, and leaves a bit of headroom such that I don't need to worry about puking primers on a hot summer day.
View Quote

That is true. I'm just trying to make sure people get the right information.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive be tinkering with accurate 2520 with Hornady 75gr OTM, and Sierra 77gr TMK

Accuracy was pretty decent, ES/SD numbers were a bit higher than I expected, but I'm still in the tuning process.

I used Accurate load data with 223 pressures.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DKlic6] [#17]
I've had really good results with TAC shooting 53, 55, 69, 75, and 77 grainers.  Also have good results with n140.  It'd be great to find TAC in 8lbs kegs again.  TAC is the Toyota of .223.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DKlic6:
It'd be great to find TAC in 8lbs kegs again. .
View Quote

https://www.powdervalley.com/product/ramshot-tac/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]
VihtaVuori N140
RE-15
Varget
H4895
IMR-8208-XBR
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
VihtaVuori N140
RE-15
Varget
H4895
IMR-8208-XBR
View Quote

Borderpatrol knows his powders, that is basically the the list of top service rifle powders used for 77 and 80 gr bullets.

Tried Tac as a cheap substitute and got poor results with accuracy and it showed severe pressure signs without warning.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:

Tried Tac as a cheap substitute and got poor results with accuracy and it showed severe pressure signs without warning.
View Quote

Don’t overwhelm us with so much detail.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#22]
My go to with 75 and 77gr is AA2520.

Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#23]
If you aren't dropping by volume, H4895 and Varget are great with heavier projo's

I have had decent accuracy with H335, and it drops great, but recently picked up some Tac for heavies due to rec's on this board.  Haven't had time to wring it out yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Well it has been at least 35 years since I used it so I have no idea how new lots perform. That being said it was quite good with the 69gr Sierra.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rn22723:

Agreed. Nosler's most accurate load tested with the 69gr CC is 23.5 gr AA2230. It has shot well in several rifles. Note: this is a book max load.

Other good loads are 24.5 gr TAC (Note: this load may be end 5.56 level)
XBR 8208 has been great.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#25]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:  Tried Tac as a cheap substitute and got poor results with accuracy and it showed severe pressure signs without warning.
View Quote

23.5 gr TAC
Winchester brass
Winchester SR primer
Hornady 75 gr HPBT-M bullet seated to 2.235" (for magazine loading)

This is my "go to" load.  It is easy to throw accurate charge weights.  

It delivered 3/4 MOA at 200 yards.  Varget was better at 1/2 MOA.

This 23.5 gr was also at a node such that +/-0.25 gr makes no difference in point of impact at 200 yards.

During testing, I went as high as 24.5 gr.  It was safe but there just wasn't any reason to go that high for normal reloading.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Sir:
I'm not disagreeing with you and as it is you make some valid points, like: for most shooters this powder temp-sensitivity is really a minor issue and yes you really won't "see it" until shooting at longer ranges.
But as someone who DOES consider it, I'll explain my reasoning and how your "why's" might be off a little:

-one reason and probably the most concerning is:  Alot of the matches I shoot aren't just one-two shots.  They maybe 20-25 shots, in around 25 minutes or so, while laying in the sun.  
So as I shoot the ammo and chamber heat up....... and then of course, if the powder isn't temp stable........ the velocities will start creeping up, leading to elevation dispersal.  

-next, and one you sortta hit on is this:  So I work up a load at a certain temp and then start using it at another.  The more temp sensitive the powder is, the more the zero is/could be off.  
Yes, you could simply adjust the sights but you are adding a variable to a list of things to consider........ and if you get great results with a temp-stable powder, why not eliminate it?

-Alot/some?  of reloaders either purposely load to max or end up there.  So yes, a hot day, hot chamber etc........ with a less than temp stable powder...... you will be over max.
TBH, I suspect alot of reloaders are lazy and simply find what they consider to be the max and load away.      
What I don't think really anyone does is have a hot day load and cold day load.  

So FWIW........ I agree with you that the temp stable powder question really doesn't matter to most, but for different reasons.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#27]
VihtaVuori N140
RE-15
Varget
H4895
IMR-8208-XBR
View Quote

I’ve got some 77’s loaded up with H4895 to test out. I’ve never tried it with anything heavier than a 60 gr vmax, but it hammers with those.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2024 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I use AA 2520 across the board with Shooters World Match a close second.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By molar:
I’ve got some 77’s loaded up with H4895 to test out. I’ve never tried it with anything heavier than a 60 gr vmax, but it hammers with those.  
View Quote

H4895 is a very good powder for heavy bullets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#30]
24.2 grains with a 77 at magazine length (2.250).

Any CCI small rifle primer that ISN’T a CCI 400.

No crimp.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#31]
H335 is fine, I use 22.0 gr under a 75gr BTHP.  Good accuracy, not a hot load. Around 2600 FPS out of an 18" gun.

Slower burning powders like BLC-2 are probably a little better though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Grumple:
My go to with 75 and 77gr is AA2520.

View Quote

This.  2520 is my 77gr OTM powder.

77gr SMK “Mk262”
24.5gr A2520, 2.26” COAL, Winchester SR

Link Posted: 9/21/2024 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:  24.2 grains ...
View Quote

of what?  

To which powder do you refer?
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 5:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#34]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

of what?  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By W_E_G:  24.2 grains ...

of what?  

TAC
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I love this question because it’s all I load and shoot for 5.56 now.  Here are my go to powders, AR Comp, Varget, TAC, 8208 XBR, H4895, AA2520, and the very same H335 you have on hand. I have no idea what you have locally but good luck finding the first 4 in stock in bulk. I did see 1 pound jugs of Varget online last night, and I’ve seen AA2520 in 8 pounders in stock as of a few days ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#36]
VihtaVuori N140
RE-15
Varget
H4895
IMR-8208-XBR
View Quote

These would be my choices as well for the 68-77gr bullets.
8208 has been an exceptional powder for both velocity and accuracy for me.  Too bad its almost unobtantium.  I have about 6# left and Im rationing it.  
Second choice would be Varget or N140.  I have alot of H4895 on hand, just never tried it with 223 to be quite honest.
An additional choice is Benchmark, but Ive seen a buddy struggle a bit with it with some bullets and its great with others, so the jury is out on that one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#37]

No crimp.
View Quote

What's the issue with the CCI 400?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 6:54:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#38]
Originally Posted By SPTiger:

View All Quotes

No crimp.

TOO THIN.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

CCI sells four types of small rifle primers.
All of them are 0.025" thickness.

EXCEPT the 400's
The 400's are 0.005" thinner than every other CCI small rifle primer.

Somebody will be right along to tell us they've been using those thin primers, and running them at 5.56 pressures for years and never had a problem.

I've seen numerous shooters running those thin 400's piercing primers.
One of those shooters is me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#39]

TOO THIN.

EXCEPT the 400's

Somebody will be right along to tell us they've been using those thin primers, and running them at 5.56 pressures for years and never had a problem.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/pierced_primer_-_piercedprimer-CCI400-4_-3332509.JPG
View Quote
I switched to 450's a few years ago for the above reasons.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]

TOO THIN.

EXCEPT the 400's

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/pierced_primer_-_piercedprimer-CCI400-4_-3332509.JPG
View All Quotes

No crimp.

TOO THIN.

EXCEPT the 400's

Well I guess I'm the one to say that I've never had a problem, but I guess it's because I've only loaded to .223 pressure, or whatever the pressure the max loads are listed in the manuals. I've got over 16,000 of them so they'll just have to do.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Grabbed a 1lb of TAC today. If I like it, will be getting more. What's the consensus on crimping either the Hornady 68's or Sierra 77's? I have the Lee FCD.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#42]
I haven’t crimped a bullet in a bottleneck rifle round since 1988. And it wasn’t a good idea even then.

Use one hand to press the nose of a loaded round against your gun safe. FIRMLY. Not King-Kong. If the bullet sets back, crimping won’t help. Alter your expander to improve neck tension if that test allows set-back.

Crimping jacketed bullets used in ammunition for a 5.56 is a great way to buckle the shoulder, and create a whole new set of problems.

Pay attention to the feel when seating the bullet.

Factory crimped 5.56 isn’t crimped the same was as a hobbyist in the basement. The REAL factory crimp comes in laterally from 90 degrees, and does not compress the shoulder in the manner that a so-called “factory crimp” die inevitably compresses against the case mouth longitudinally during the up-stroke of a hobbyist reloading press.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#43]
With the Lee collet factory crimp die, which is the only one available to bottleneck cartridges as far as I know, they do crimp straight in from the sides. They are phenomenal tools for the job. I do agree crimping is mostly unproductive. It is useful and needed if you flare the case mouth, but most people don't do that for jacketed bullets in rifles. You don't have to add a crimp to those either, you can use the tool to only close the flare. Every once in a blue moon I'll try some crimped rounds just to see what they do. I have yet to have it improve accuracy.
Link Posted: Today 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Get an expander ball that is small enough such that the neck tension keeps the bullet in position.  If your expander ball is steel, you can hone it down yourself using crocus cloth or extremely fine grit wet/dry sand paper.

Link Posted: Today 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Get an expander ball that is small enough such that the neck tension keeps the bullet in position.  If your expander ball is steel, you can hone it down yourself using crocus cloth or extremely fine grit wet/dry sand paper.

View Quote

<This. Measure your expander ball and spin polish it in .0005" smaller increments to increase neck tension. I like .0025" neck tension and never crimp. I won't recommend anything over .003" of tension. Bolt actions can run with only .001", semi-autos need to be squeezed.

Uniform crimping may improve ES/SD numbers, the problem is achieving uniform crimping. Every case needs to be trimmed to the same length in order to use standard dies effectively. Crimping in a second operation is better than doing so when seating the bullet.
Link Posted: Today 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:

8208 has been an exceptional powder for both velocity and accuracy for me.  Too bad its almost unobtantium.  I have about 6# left and Im rationing it.  
Second choice would be Varget or N140.  I have alot of H4895 on hand, just never tried it with 223 to be quite honest.
An additional choice is Benchmark, but Ive seen a buddy struggle a bit with it with some bullets and its great with others, so the jury is out on that one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kaldor:
VihtaVuori N140
RE-15
Varget
H4895
IMR-8208-XBR

Try 22.5 to 23.1 grains of H4895 with 75/77 grain bullets in .223. I seat them at 2.250", that avoids the problem of irregular tips on the hollow points making some rounds drag inside the magazine.

23.1 should get you a good load, be safe and reliable.

N140 was never popular in the past because it was so expensive. Because of Hodgdon's current pricing, N140 is a bargain nowadays. Under $300 for 8 pounds and available. I say buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top