[#1]
Karmann ghia with a subaru swap
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Girl car.
View Quote

That sentiment stems from boys who are insecure in their manhood.

Humiliating.  
View Quote

See above, also worrying about what others think is pretty cringe.

Boring daily driver.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Not trying to split hairs, but there are no "modern muscle cars." The term had a context that expired decades ago, and some people won't stop using it, no matter how inapplicable it is.

I would recommend a sports coupe like a Mustang or Camaro for your criteria. Since you seem not to like those, my first pick would be the GR86/BRZ.

Everything else I can think of is getting old (so -lower on the reliability scale) or would above the price you want.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
S2000
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about a Dodge Stealth R/T twin turbo
View Quote

Because I'm sure OP would like to find parts, of any sort, for that car.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't put the BMW on the pedestal....Just how you "know," go ahead and detail your BMW ownership? Year, number of miles, what preventative maintenance?

For the record I've owned an two Audis, the current BMW and a current Porsche so I think I'm qualified to talk about overall build and reliability of all three brands. The Bimmer is by far the worse not to mention overly complex so when repair is required it's expensive but it's great your experience has been the opposite. I hope it stays that way but IMO after 50K Bimmers are a ticking time bomb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't put the BMW on the pedestal....Just how you "know," go ahead and detail your BMW ownership? Year, number of miles, what preventative maintenance?

For the record I've owned an two Audis, the current BMW and a current Porsche so I think I'm qualified to talk about overall build and reliability of all three brands. The Bimmer is by far the worse not to mention overly complex so when repair is required it's expensive but it's great your experience has been the opposite. I hope it stays that way but IMO after 50K Bimmers are a ticking time bomb.

blah blah, I've owned blah blah does not make an expert.  as I said, this is now boring and I'm over it.  OP, don't get a bmw, they're apparently complete garbage, GD HAS SPAKE

Quoted:

I had an M3.  Have you had any BMW's?

The OP has had and works on BMW's.  Are we "internet shit"?

The OP, asking for questions, tells you about his own BMW experience and you want to discard it (while making recommendations) "because memes"?

well, since you ask, yes.  it's "internet shit".  I don't give a shit anymore.  I'm over the "BMW IS SHIT" beatdown here.  Just another GD bandwagon.

*shrug*

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Jetta GLi is a more mature looking Golf GTi. Do not get a manual - the clutches are said to be made of the finest Bavarian chocolate. The DCT is faster anyway. You should be able to find a CPO GLi with the extended warranty within your budget.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not trying to split hairs, but there are no "modern muscle cars." The term had a context that expired decades ago, and some people won't stop using it, no matter how inapplicable it is.

I would recommend a sports coupe like a Mustang or Camaro for your criteria. Since you seem not to like those, my first pick would be the GR86/BRZ.

Everything else I can think of is getting old (so -lower on the reliability scale) or would above the price you want.
View Quote

The entire automotive community still uses the term "muscle car."

There's a difference between a 4,000+ lbs American boat with a V8, a JDM/Euro RWD coupe between 3,000-3,500 lbs, a sub-3,000 pound roadster, a hot hatch, a rally car, etc.

If only there was some term in common usage to refer specifically to the subset of big American V8 things...
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where the fuck are you going to get any of those three cars listed for 25k?
View Quote

Hi

Attachment Attached File

I paid $25k for my Elise last month. You have to be patient.

Prices HAVE jumped on them a LOT though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hi

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177643/Elise_jpg-3251983.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi

Great score!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a s/c C6 in our px, looks like it was built right. https://www.ar15.com/exchange/topicEE.html?t=2452248&f=140&type=1
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
A clean C5 Zo6 or a clapped out c6 Zo6
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There's a difference between a 4,000+ lbs American boat with a V8, a JDM/Euro RWD coupe between 3,000-3,500 lbs, a sub-3,000 pound roadster, a hot hatch, a rally car, etc.

If only there was some term in common usage to refer specifically to the subset of big American V8 things...
View Quote

The heaviest Mustang convertible is <4,000 lbs, and only someone who doesn't know much about cars would describe a modern Mustang or Camaro as a boat. Check SCCA stock class records for the past decade. Your Euro RWD coupes overlap it in weight, M3 about 3800-4k lb (ecoboost perf pack Mustang is ~300lb lighter), M4 much heavier still, and the 350z with its atrociously weak brakes checks in not all that far below Mustangs.

There's my purse swing for the thread, I'm outta here,
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Just to spite you for being a Miata bigot.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30714/No_JPG-1841607.jpg

blah blah, I've owned blah blah does not make an expert.  as I said, this is now boring and I'm over it.  OP, don't get a bmw, they're apparently complete garbage, GD HAS SPAKE

well, since you ask, yes.  it's "internet shit".  I don't give a shit anymore.  I'm over the "BMW IS SHIT" beatdown here.  Just another GD bandwagon.

*shrug*

View Quote

My aren't you triggered over someone else's opinion so easily....My experience is no more or less valuable than yours, all it provides is a data point for the OP as he looks for a fun car. Buyer beware as they say but I note you aren't putting out details on your experience. Interesting, perhaps it's too new....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Used BMW S1000RR, more fun than a $400,000 Lamborghini.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The heaviest Mustang convertible is >4,000 lbs, and only someone who doesn't know much about cars would describe a modern Mustang or Camaro as a boat. Check SCCA stock class records for the past decade. Your Euro RWD coupes overlap it in weight, M3 about 3800-4k lb (ecoboost perf pack Mustang is ~300lb lighter), M4 much heavier still, and the 350z with its atrociously weak brakes checks in not all that far below Mustangs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The heaviest Mustang convertible is >4,000 lbs, and only someone who doesn't know much about cars would describe a modern Mustang or Camaro as a boat. Check SCCA stock class records for the past decade. Your Euro RWD coupes overlap it in weight, M3 about 3800-4k lb (ecoboost perf pack Mustang is ~300lb lighter), M4 much heavier still, and the 350z with its atrociously weak brakes checks in not all that far below Mustangs.

All of those cars are boats.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#25]
If you’re a weirdo like me then find some German turbo Diesel car (newest ones are going to be 6 or 7 years old) for $10-15k, delete all the EPA bullshit, add some tunes, add a new timing belt,  and you’ll have a fun, torquey little car that gets insane fuel mileage and is a freaking boss at highway cruising (as long as it doesn’t break down )

ETA Yesterday I got 44 mpg at 83 mph into a 13 mph headwind on a 70 mile interstate drive.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This car (3,827 lbs):

Weighs more than this car (3,730 lbs):

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]

New stuff is definitely higher density.

(Plus just being larger in general to accommodate people and requirements)
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't be the first time many people are wrong about something.

"Subset of big American V8 things" WTF is that even supposed to mean?

Pickup trucks? SUVs? Sedans?

There's a handful of American sports coupes on the market, and most of them aren't made with V8s. Also, "Has a V8" isn't the definition of any type of car.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$25k worth of Porsche
View Quote
A 912

Get a Jeep or old Toyota Range Rover
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the "fun" part in the title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2021 Tesla Model 3 still under warranty.

I guess you missed the "fun" part in the title.
You have to break all the windows when the battery dies

That sounds like fun
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#31]
C5 ZO6 or C6
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Short Bed Single Cab V8 truck - aftermarket supercharger optional, plus added benefit of utility
View Quote

Imma go with this.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There's a handful of American sports coupes on the market, and most of them aren't made with V8s. Also, "Has a V8" isn't the definition of any type of car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When people think of "muscle cars," they think of Challengers, Camaros, and Mustangs.

When people think of "sports coupes," they don't think of Challengers, Camaros, or Mustangs.

You might be clinging to a definition of "muscle car" that referred to old Fairlanes and Coronets with huge engines shoehorned in, but the rest of the world has moved on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A 912
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$25k worth of Porsche
A 912

Are there any of those left?

Every one I've ever seen had been 'converted.' I guess it's technically a 912 by VIN.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Dam. My tiny Audi Avant weighs more than either of those at 3987lb curb weight. It's also smaller than either of those.

I still say skip the bimmer. As a German car fan I'm glad I went Audi. All the bmw cars I've been around have been basket cases. The motorcycles seem solid.

I'm in the V8 seap something ridiculous like that Miata club.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I know it might now be the best looking but my buddy has a 2005 Volvo S60R Awd 6speed Manual
They are 300hp super luxurious and it rips.

Also another slept on car that’s fun and fast is the 2.0 Honda accord manual. With en exhaust and tune it’s basically the type R for under 30k
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Every one I've ever seen had been 'converted.' I guess it's technically a 912 by VIN.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$25k worth of Porsche
A 912

Yeah but they are probably out of his price range. I don’t think there is much in the air cooled market below $25k unless it’s a 914.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I know you said no 20+ year old BMWs for $25K, but...for right at that mark you can get a circa 2001 Z3 3.0 with under 10K miles that's bigger than a Miata, has a lot more power than a Miata and delivers the same roadster excitement. It has the added bonus of not being as temperamental as the Z3M and is much cheaper to maintain.

Five speed manual transmission, beautiful leather and walnut interior, good quality canvas drop top that doesn't take all your trunk space (looking at you, Z4). You have to be careful with the trunk shock mounts on higher mileage versions, but in this price bracket you're getting a pristine auto. Did I mention power? BMW offered a large variety of displacements between the four and six cylinder that topped out with the 3.0 in the non-M versions. The N54 six turns 225 horsepower and has the larger brakes to match. Zero to 60 is 5.2 seconds and it tops out at 137 mph. It's a very free-revving engine, and in a small roadster it's a blast to drive.

Not guessing, it was my first BMW and I'm seriously thinking about finding exactly this to replace my Z4 35is.
Attachment Attached File

This was my first, but damn that metallic green is just beautiful.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Depending on how far you’re willing to travel, a guy I work with is selling a clean C5 Zo6 for like $19k. It’s red
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi

Now I'm looking up Elise's like it's my job.

[Yells into other room] ... "Honey! Can you clean out your side of the garage for me???"
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe.

Or Miata.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Now I'm looking up Elise's like it's my job.

[Yells into other room] ... "Honey! Can you clean out your side of the garage for me???"
View Quote

I always liked the Elise, the issue is that I wanted an Exige instead and the price difference was quite a bit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I always liked the Elise, the issue is that I wanted an Exige instead and the price difference was quite a bit.
View Quote

I drove an Elise at a track day, you had to pour yourself into that thing but man it was on rails. I do like the Exige, a bit bigger but still looks the part with Toyota running gear; what's not to like other than the price.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just picked up a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth.  It a 2019 model.

It’s a great little car.  Fun to drive, looks great, and not a ton of cash.

I wanted something to drive so I wouldn’t put more miles on my 911.  This little car really puts a smile on your face.

Cheers,

AJP
View Quote

Mine is a 2017 Abarth.  It will roll over 90,000 miles on the way home from work today.  

It's fun to drive a stick even in stop and go traffic.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
C5 Corvette, maybe a C6

Then get some white New Balance shoes.
View Quote

In December, I went w/ the C5 - oddly it didn't come w/ New Balance shoes.  The car is way too much fun.  0-60 mph in around 5 to 5.5 seconds depending on the source and 1/4 mile in about 13 seconds.  But even more fun, it corners likes its on the proverbial rails.  

Mixed, highway and city, driving I get 24 mpg and 29 on the freeway when I can keep it to 80 mph.  The LS motors are renowned for there reliability.  I paid under $18k for mine w/ 43k miles on it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Isn't that just a rebadged Miata?
View Quote

Only if a different body and a different engine count as "rebadged".

They do share a bunch of components and both were assembled on the same assembly line in Hiroshima.  It's the perfect blend of Italian design and Japanese quality.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They do share a bunch of components and both were assembled on the same assembly line in Hiroshima.  It's the perfect blend of Italian design and Japanese quality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that just a rebadged Miata?

Not to be confused with the Alfa Romeo ARNA that combined Japanese styling with Italian quality.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I know Hondas are typically very reliable but I hate the look of the newer Civic Si.
View Quote

The 2016-20 coupes grow on you.  At least mine did.  They look better without the spoiler.  It is a fantastic daily driver.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I’d look for a vw gti, they are the adult hot hatch. Classy sporty and still affordable yet decently reliable.

If you want a coupe/convertible- the eos is a little older, but has the retractable hard top and basics of the golf/gti. Although they have the chick car stigma - a straight guy must at minimum lower it with better wheels and tires, and it must be a manual transmission
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top