BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would the high brass want to switch to a harder hitting round?
Maybe they foresee fighting China and/or Russia in the future and our potential enemies have created body armor counters to 5.56.
Also maybe the Army has better .30 cal rounds in development and have not released the info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Maybe they foresee fighting China and/or Russia in the future and our potential enemies have created body armor counters to 5.56.
Also maybe the Army has better .30 cal rounds in development and have not released the info.
Correct on both counts.

Quoted:
I've also learned that armies adjust to the weapons they have. If they have less rounds, they will fire less rounds in suppressive roles. They will aim more if they have to.
I agree that adjustments are likely, especially in logistics. At least, if the leadership wants to keep soldiers from going black on ammo during engagements.

But, I'm not so sure that the troops will fire less and aim more, just because their ammo load is halved. Note the similar firing rates in the below examples:

Two US soldiers, both on nearly identical terrain
5.56 M4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHU-_OhT8g
7.62 M14 EBR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiCKHsRoQYo

Danish and British soldiers
5.56 M/96 (M4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAwAY-YCG0
7.62 L129A1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wENXhoKSR_0
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The people who want .308 have never humped .308 for 12 miles.
5.56 works.
View Quote
I use to have both, but settled on 5.56 with a .308 bolt gun.  I like the .308 because where I live is a lot of open country, but I realize I'll never be shooting at people 500 yards plus.  It will probably be like 5ft and under if I ever have to.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was in Infantry from around 1999 to 2005. I don't know if they have changed training or tactics since then. At the time, we had excellent cadre that trained us in the use of 60MM mortars as the platoon leaders "hip pocket artillery". It made a lot of sense to use each weapon system to it's maximum effectiveness. In practice, for whatever reason when I deployed overseas, we rarely used our mortars. We would routinely be disrupted in urban areas of Baghdad by one or two guys with a rifle less than 200 yards away.

A quickly deployed mortar or M203 grenade launcher would have eliminated that threat. But in practice, my particular brigade rarely used these items. We didn't even carry them with us on patrol. My thoughts are that out to 200 yards, use your rifles. Beyond that, a grenade launcher or 60mm is a better tool. With moderate training, when I had an M203, it was routine to put a grenade through a window at 200 yards, which would have been ideal in the outskirts of Baghdad. Perhaps other units used their weapons differently, but we did not. Being fairly fresh out of training, I did not understand why we did not better utilize some of the tools we had access too.

Overall, we did ok though. Possibly our fires were limited due to the highly populated urban environment, and instead we used what we were most familiar with - rifles and LMG's. Having been trained as a grenadier for a bit though, there were a number of times when our rifles were not effective, but one or two M203's would have done the trick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For most of the "outrange/overmatch/they'retoofarawayformetohitwithmyM4" issues, 60mm is the right answer. Get a lighter-weight 60mm and issue more of them. 
I was in Infantry from around 1999 to 2005. I don't know if they have changed training or tactics since then. At the time, we had excellent cadre that trained us in the use of 60MM mortars as the platoon leaders "hip pocket artillery". It made a lot of sense to use each weapon system to it's maximum effectiveness. In practice, for whatever reason when I deployed overseas, we rarely used our mortars. We would routinely be disrupted in urban areas of Baghdad by one or two guys with a rifle less than 200 yards away.

A quickly deployed mortar or M203 grenade launcher would have eliminated that threat. But in practice, my particular brigade rarely used these items. We didn't even carry them with us on patrol. My thoughts are that out to 200 yards, use your rifles. Beyond that, a grenade launcher or 60mm is a better tool. With moderate training, when I had an M203, it was routine to put a grenade through a window at 200 yards, which would have been ideal in the outskirts of Baghdad. Perhaps other units used their weapons differently, but we did not. Being fairly fresh out of training, I did not understand why we did not better utilize some of the tools we had access too.

Overall, we did ok though. Possibly our fires were limited due to the highly populated urban environment, and instead we used what we were most familiar with - rifles and LMG's. Having been trained as a grenadier for a bit though, there were a number of times when our rifles were not effective, but one or two M203's would have done the trick.
Training/tactics issue, maybe? Though it sounds like you did a lot of urban fighting, and the 40mm is probably better than the 60mm for that. 

The thing I really like about the 60mm (from a theoretical standpoint, as I'm as civilian as civilian gets) is the fact you can shoot from behind cover. If the enemy has only direct-fire weapons you could take them out without really exposing yourself, beyond the spotter who can be sneaky since he isn't sending fire downrange to give himself away. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a  big believer in not engaging ANYTHING past 300 meters, with small arms. As long as you got Headquarters Platoon 60mm mortars or something bigger. 

Fuck this 7.62 NATO for every soldier bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What is the velocity of M80A1 from a 16" barrel?
View Quote
Good question, I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's what artillery is for. And mortars. And machineguns.

And they will fail to suppress the enemy, then run out of ammunition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also realize we have not fought a modern army in a long time. It is bold to assume we will always have air superiority in the next war. Calling in for an air strike is meaningless if we don't control the air and the enemy is hitting you with rounds and your 5.56 can't hit them back.

I've also learned that armies adjust to the weapons they have. If they have less rounds, they will fire less rounds in suppressive roles. They will aim more if they have to.
That's what artillery is for. And mortars. And machineguns.

And they will fail to suppress the enemy, then run out of ammunition.
Not guaranteed against a formidable foe.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not guaranteed against a formidable foe.
View Quote
The last fucking thing you're going to be doing against the Russians is popping off some random shots to draw their artillery.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the iMortar, a 12lb 60mm mortar. 

iMortar Lightweight, Manpackable 60mm Mortar and Ammo at SOFIC 2015

If you want to really increase the ability of infantry to engage far targets, issue more of these. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good question, I don't know.
View Quote
Probably 2950.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
They rip big military a new asshole and are worried b cause to them it is a CERTAINTY we are getting a .308 battle rifle substitute soon for the 5.56.

Also I desperately want a backpack fed ps90 now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless this top tier Russian or Chinese body armor is proof against the inevitable mushroom cloud that would end this mythical war, switching calibers to defeat it is super fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I use to have both, but settled on 5.56 with a .308 bolt gun.  I like the .308 because where I live is a lot of open country, but I realize I'll never be shooting at people 500 yards plus.  It will probably be like 5ft and under if I ever have to.
View Quote
You are making too much sense. Please stop right now and refill your glass of koolaid immediately.

The 308 nazi are putting you on their list of targets...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I doubt there's many infantrymen who want to hump more weight.
3 years of it was enough for me.  My knee is like a loose hinge.
View Quote
Knees and every other load bearing joint.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
as former Infantry I vote to stay with the 5.56.  I'd rather have more for the same weight.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
as former Infantry I vote to stay with the 5.56.  I'd rather have more for the same weight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The last fucking thing you're going to be doing against the Russians is popping off some random shots to draw their artillery.
View Quote
If Russian artillery is within range, your 5.56 or 7.62 won't matter.

If your enemy has body armor to stop 5.56 then only 7.62 will matter.

240 rounds 5.56 won't matter if it will not go through armor.

120 rounds that work is better than 240 of "will only work if you shoot in the face"
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, it won't.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unless this top tier Russian or Chinese body armor is proof against the inevitable mushroom cloud that would end this mythical war, switching calibers to defeat it is super fucking stupid.
View Quote
Discontinuing R&D into small arms because "we'll all die from nukes" is fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No, it won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it won't.
If only 7.62 defeats your enemy body armor and 5.56 does not then it will matter.

Grunt: "Sir, our rounds are not dropping our enemies! It's like m855 against the skinnies!"

CO, "Shoot them in the face then soldier!"

Grunt, "That's a small target, Sir!"

CO, "General discussion in ARFCOM said 5.56 vs 7.62 does not matter!"

Unit is over run.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If only 7.62 defeats your enemy body armor and 5.56 does not then it will matter.

View Quote
If 5.56 AP can't get through then 7.62 AP most likely won't either. I'm sitting here with the RUAG catalog in front of me, and their best AP round is marginal against modern body armour.

Unless the US military has found a way to defeat the laws of physics it won't matter whether they use 5.56 or 7.62.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eIgVNGiZVI

If you want to really increase the ability of infantry to engage far targets, issue more of these. 
View Quote
Oh damn, somebody beat me to posting iMortar in a "need moar infantry rifle power!" thread.  I'm slipping.  

Seriously, systems like this are the answer to the "overmatch problem".  You standardize Mk18 to be light and handy (>6 pounds with Aimpoint T-1 should be very doable), and you push them to your squad grenadiers (and a few other squad/platoon positions too,  it that's a whole 'nother thread).  You use that weight/bulk savings to get stuff like iMortar, M320, and Carl Gustav out with the rifle platoons where they can squash the shit out of PKMs and the like.

Fight "big guns" with bigger guns, not by trying to make your little guns offer bigger performance less often.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
As former infantry, I find that perfectly respectable and see plenty of merit in doing so.  I roll with 7.62 myself and feel no obligation to sway anyone else to do the same.  Caliber wars are stupid.  Proper training supersedes all that shit which, unfortunately,  is generally overlooked. 

Give a high speed, seasoned face shooter an proper M4 and his adversary an Ak, the results will be predictable.  Have the two parties swap weapons and the result will still be the same. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Grunt: "Sir, our rounds are not dropping our enemies! It's like m855 against the skinnies!"

Unit is over run.
View Quote
Body armor covers a small percentage of a body anyway.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it won't.

Unit is over run.
Fuck you have no idea what you are talking about.

Idiots on here think that the military operates in some fucking vacuum where only the individual rifle matters. GPMGs, 40mm grenade launchers, mortars, artillery, CAS all come into play. Cutting your ammo load out by a 1/3 or 1/2 is foolish.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
View Quote
Er, ok. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Er, ok. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
Er, ok. 
So if the new m855a1 or whatever has a 50% chance of defeating modern body armor (no idea, lets just pretend it's 50%), does that mean a hit on body armor that is stopped is completely ineffective? Would it cause some sort of incapacitation anyway or no? At least enough to suppress them so you can maneuver actual weapons on them?

I mean, artillery is the king of battle for a reason, right?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
View Quote
Oh my.

Apparently Level IV armor makes one a Space Marine, or something. That's good to know.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So if the new m855a1 or whatever has a 50% chance of defeating modern body armor (no idea, lets just pretend it's 50%), does that mean a hit on body armor that is stopped is completely ineffective? Would it cause some sort of incapacitation anyway or no? At least enough to suppress them so you can maneuver actual weapons on them?

View Quote
More than half of GSWs in combat are in places armor doesn't cover.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, unless you are wearing Master Chief Mjolnir Exosuit, Powered armor. You ain't going to deliberately expose yourself to enemy fire. Unless you are really dumb or crazy. So suppress, fix, maneuver and destroy. Or suppress, fix, hit with IDF or CAS, and destroy.

Velocity and small diameter impact is what will really beat armor. 223 screams out of a barrel, and with a sharp, but hard Point, it'll defeat any armor.

With 308, you have a larger diameter bullet and it's "slow", just 2700 fps. And that's out of a 26" barrel. So when it hits, it has a larger surface contact area. So the energy will dissipate more, because of the bigger contact surface. Just like how the old .45 ACP couldn't penetrate a steel helmet, but 9mm could. So you want to transfer as much speed and energy in as little of a spot as you can.

There is no upside to going to a 7.62 battle rifle. None.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#30]
The money spent buying a useless 7.62 'interim' rifle would be better spent on ammo(blank/sim/live) and practicing battle drills.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah, unless you are wearing Master Chief Mjolnir Exosuit, Powered armor. You ain't going to deliberately expose yourself to enemy fire. Unless you are really dumb or crazy. So suppress, fix, maneuver and destroy. Or suppress, fix, hit with IDF or CAS, and destroy.

Velocity ty and small diameter impact is what will really beat armor. 223 screams out of a barrel, and with a sharp, but hard Point, it'll defeat any armor.

With 308, you have a larger diameter bullet and it's "slow", just 2700 fps. And that's out of a 26" barrel. So when it hits, it has a larger surface contact area. So the energy will dissipate more, because of the bigger contact surface. Just like how the old .45 ACP couldn't penetrate a steel helmet, but 9mm could. So you want to transfer as much speed and energy in as little of a spot as you can.

There is no upside to goi g to a 7.62 battle rifle. None.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Velocity ty and small diameter impact is what will really beat armor. 223 screams out of a barrel, and with a sharp, but hard Point, it'll defeat any armor.

Stop using logic sir.

But muh 7.62 knock down purr!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh, I'd rather have a hotter 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is full of fucking WIN!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If 5.56 AP can't get through then 7.62 AP most likely won't either. I'm sitting here with the RUAG catalog in front of me, and their best AP round is marginal against modern body armour.

Unless the US military has found a way to defeat the laws of physics it won't matter whether they use 5.56 or 7.62.
View Quote
How old is the RUAG AP round? You see, militaries of the world engage in an arms race. Each Army creates a counter to a weapon they will face, so if war breaks out, their weapons system will have an advantage and help them win. If you want to base your argument on an old round, be my guest. I'm sure our brass in the military know the limitations of old ammo. The reason why they are moving up to harder hitting rounds must have a damn good reason. They probably know of an AP round we do not hence why they are using a larger casing.

You can propel an object faster with 45 grains of propellant vs 25.

Maybe they figured a reliable SABOT round? Who knows? Better question is why are they moving up to a round with 2,400 ft/lb^2 of energy vs 1,400 ft/lb^2?

Using double energy can push things faster, retain more energy at distance, simple physics.

The .308 casing is the parent case, relatively speaking more powder = more speed, more options.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
Does the mil teach to aim for the head or chest?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That would make sense, though. We're in the rock painting and sex changing business, not in the business of making sense!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Idiots on here think that the military operates in some fucking vacuum where only the individual rifle matters. GPMGs, 40mm grenade launchers, mortars, artillery, CAS all come into play. Cutting your ammo load out by a 1/3 or 1/2 is foolish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it won't.

Unit is over run.

Yes it all comes into play. Don't assume you will have it all in a fight. That is foolish.

Man vs man. Against an advanced army we have not seen since Vietnam. A round that defeats enemy armor is vital to a units success.

Maybe take your anger at the high brass. Ask them why are they changing back to a .308 round? There must be a damn good reason. Unless of course all high brass is stupid?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
You should let us know from your vast experience in combat.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh my.

Apparently Level IV armor makes one a Space Marine, or something. That's good to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
Oh my.

I didn't tell the military we're switching to 7.62. Higher ups did. Why are they? That should be your focus.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
The answer to that is not monolithic.

A friend encountered Chechens with body armor. He's still here. They're all gone.

Also, I was trained to aim at the feet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we keep current ammo and aim for non armor areas? Let's just stop R&D now?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Unless of course all high brass is stupid?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes it all comes into play. Don't assume you will have it all in a fight. That is foolish.

Man vs man. Against an advanced army we have not seen since Vietnam. A round that defeats enemy armor is vital to a units success.

Maybe take your anger at the high brass. Ask them why are they changing back to a .308 round? There must be a damn good reason. Unless of course all high brass is stupid?
View Quote
I'm not going to have GPMGs or 40mm? I won't have 60mm mortars? Or a GC? What did I leave organic equipment in the fucking arms room?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So we keep current ammo and aim for non armor areas? Let's just stop R&D now?
View Quote
As an interim I would move 7.62 with M993 into the squad...on belts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Stop using logic sir.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop using logic sir.

What the velocity of m80a1 again?

I'll wait....
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What the velocity of m80a1 again?

I'll wait....
View Quote
2950FPS.

Like M855A1.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
If we spend money issuing mortars, CGs, and other HE propelling weapons to each squad, it's a pretty safe assumption that you will, indeed, have them in a firefight. And you can do that without adopting a retarded rifle that cuts your ability to suppress the enemy in half. I mean, if we're going to go by your logic, why assume we will have rifles in combat? We need training on halberd fighting ASAP!

But, as I said before, military acquisitions isn't here to give the military better tools for fighting war.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unit is over run.
With that response, I'm guessing chest?

So we should or should not develop a round that will defeat a modern army's body armor since most hits are not in the chest area?

Why did the mil move away from m855 again and R&D'd mk 262, mk 318 SOST etc???
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A friend encountered Chechens with body armor. He's still here. They're all gone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the Chechens have modern front line state of he art body armor?

Why is our higher ups switching to .308?

Did our SF engage enemies lately with armor that prevented a pass through?

Why the change? There must be a good reason why upping a caliber for soldiers is more important than ammo weight.

After all, if something works you keep it until it no longer works, right?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It stopped 5.56.

Why is our higher ups switching to .308?
Myopia.

Did our SF engage enemies lately with armor that prevented a hit?
Yes.

Why the change? There must be a good reason why upping a caliber for soldiers is more important than ammo weight.
Myopia.
Page / 6
Top Top