Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm guessing a Silmaril.  First, it's the kind of dumb change of the backstory they've been doing. Second, it would explain their suspicion of Elrond.  Third, it glows too much to be mithril.
View Quote

The silmarils are long gone by this point
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I am liking it so far. Who knows what colour folks were in Middle Earth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tolkein……. He made mention of the various races appearances
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
nah, there's no way it's going to be anything as mid as that. it's going to be the arkenstone
View Quote

The arkenstone was mined from the lonely mountain, not khazak dum.

Unless every mountain has a heart that they call by the same name.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tolkein  . He made mention of the various races appearances
View Quote

It's been decades since I read the books.  But as I recall, he used the word "fair" a lot in his descriptions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nah, there's no way it's going to be anything as mid as that. it's going to be the arkenstone

I dought these writers care about the source material enough for that to matter
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  There's no real ambiguity about the appearance of the various peoples/races in the Lord of the Rings.

Honestly, I don't think it's necessarily a huge problem to throw in some black elves or dwarves or whatever, and it doesn't fill me with outrage - but it definitely irritates me because it is dumb and unnecessary, and serves no good purpose.  It's like shoving some chinese or korean actors into a story about Vikings, or some black actors into a story about Native American Inuits ... or having John Wayne play Ghengis Khan .  It's just dumb, and since there's no good reason for it in terms of story-telling, it takes me OUT of the story rather than drawing me into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  There's no real ambiguity about the appearance of the various peoples/races in the Lord of the Rings.

Honestly, I don't think it's necessarily a huge problem to throw in some black elves or dwarves or whatever, and it doesn't fill me with outrage - but it definitely irritates me because it is dumb and unnecessary, and serves no good purpose.  It's like shoving some chinese or korean actors into a story about Vikings, or some black actors into a story about Native American Inuits ... or having John Wayne play Ghengis Khan .  It's just dumb, and since there's no good reason for it in terms of story-telling, it takes me OUT of the story rather than drawing me into it.

The plot and storyline are ok, acceptable for a shitty b-rated series. The young actors are doing their best, but they are so far from being professionals it makes everything feel fake. Dumb can be entertaining, but as you said there are so many unnecessary scenes it shows the directors were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The actors are also ugly, physically. On-screen beauty is soooo important with 4K or higher definition. We are drawn to beauty, especially natural beauty. But when there is no natural beauty we need makeup artists to help us overcome ugliness, and this didn't happen.

CNN's new owners recognise this, they are evolving.

When 'wokeness' comes to Middle-earth: Why some say diverse casting ruins the new 'Lord of the Rings' series

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Next episode the Harfoots sit down to a second breakfast of lembas and salted pork gravy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't have an issue with color of actors. I have an issue with them blatantly shoving diversity, gurl power, lgbtbbq constantly in our faces. I can over look all of that that but the story lines and bad acting I can't. Its just not a good series so far. Not sure how you can fix crappy acting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Because I am a die hard Tolkien fan (<-- check the moniker), I'll probably watch the shows.  I already watched the first two.

I have been re-reading the Encyclopedia of Arda to refresh my memory on what TOLKIEN said happened in the Second Age.  It is a way to get the "facts" straight, quickly.

If nothing else, this will prompt my re-reading of Silmarillion, Children of Hurin and other relevant works.  LOTR covers a fairly narrow time span (~1 year).  The Second Age is a huge time span.  Add in First Age and the Two Trees and it is a stunningly large time span.  

P.S. - Why did they not show Ungoliant killing the Two Trees?  She was notably absent.

P.P.S - The "Blue Wizards" (the Istari) did not appear in Middle Earth until ~1,000 years into the Third Age, so that "meteor dude" is not an Istari.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because I am a die hard Tolkien fan (<-- check the moniker), I'll probably watch the shows.  I already watched the first two.

I have been re-reading the Encyclopedia of Arda to refresh my memory on what TOLKIEN said happened in the Second Age.  It is a way to get the "facts" straight, quickly.

If nothing else, this will prompt my re-reading of Silmarillion, Children of Hurin and other relevant works.  LOTR covers a fairly narrow time span (~1 year).  The Second Age is a huge time span.  Add in First Age and the Two Trees and it is a stunningly large time span.  

P.S. - Why did they not show Ungoliant killing the Two Trees?  She was notably absent.

P.P.S - The "Blue Wizards" (the Istari) did not appear in Middle Earth until ~1,000 years into the Third Age, so that "meteor dude" is not an Istari.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat. It's pissed me off so much I am re-reading everything so I can understand and then back up my review of the director and the executive producers. I am going scorched earth, this is personal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a difference between how Tolkien described the protagonists in his books and how they were later portrayed in other media. While Tolkien portrayed Orks and other evil races as being dark, how many light coloured monsters exist in any fiction or lore? There were dark skinned races considered ‘evil’ in his books, and there were other races that were not well described in terms of skin tone. Throw in LOTR was written between 1938-1948; different period.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Next episode the Harfoots sit down to a second breakfast of lembas and salted pork gravy.
View Quote

And Galadriel gifts them a ring of power that doesn't exist yet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are talking about fantasy. I would have a problem if someone did a biographical movie on Patton and cast a Pakistani. I have no problem with a dark skinned dwarf.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
So who is he?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
The dwarves did not find a Silmaril in the mountain ...They have been made in the moon/sun at this point in the world, that was First Age happenings.  The Arkenstone was found in Erebor, this show has to with Khazad-dûm (or Moria), dwarves discovered Mithril in Khazad-dûm, and also a Maiar(same being as Gandolf)...the Balrog which had been made evil by Melkor while mining for more and more Mithril.  

Galadriel was pretty bad ass warrior as well, helping lead the revolt of the Noldar, so not sure where the hate for her character in the show comes from, if you follow her story arc she is one of the most powerful beings in all of Middle Earth.  

Maybe instead of worrying about OMG a brown elf!!!!!1!!!!!  Know your material better of more important things...

I really like the show, and look forward to where they take it.  

As for meteor guy...I think it's Tom Bombadil...but am probably wrong. or could be Glroifindel...guess I'll have to watch to find out.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They're going to lose a fuckton of money on this.

View Quote

How? Unless a shit ton of people cancel Amazon Prime over it, I don't see how it costs them anything other than money they agreed to put into it
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Doesn't mithril glow in moonlight? Or am I misremembering?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing a Silmaril.  First, it's the kind of dumb change of the backstory they've been doing. Second, it would explain their suspicion of Elrond.  Third, it glows too much to be mithril.

Doesn't mithril glow in moonlight? Or am I misremembering?

IIRC, yes.

Wasn't that how they saw the writing at the entrance to Moria? The writing was in mithril, and appeared in the moonlight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sure, but we are not just talking about GENERIC "fantasy" - in which case I wouldn't care in the slightest.  We are specifically talking about a series that has been hyped and advertised precisely because it is based on the world and mythos that TOLKIEN created.  Clearly, they are trying to ride the coat-tails of the block-buster success of Tolkien "Lord of the Rings" movies (and also the shitty "Hobbit" movies, I guess), and so that is part of the entire premise of this show.

That's the only part that I find irritating - deliberately changing something that's already established.  Tolkien's work is well-defined, and the physical appearance of the various people and races are pretty clear in the literature.  So why bother to change it?  Tolkien is very clear about what Elves look like, and they are most decidedly NOT dark-skinned (as just one example). It seems silly and unnecessary, and that's what irritates me about it.

If you want to make NEW fantasy literature, go crazy!  There's tons of it out there, post-Tolkien, and a lot of it is spectacularly good, IMO.  I have no problem with that.  But, if someone is going to make a Tolkien-based show, and want to make a big deal about how it is Tolkien, then I think they should stick as closely to Tolkien's vision as they can.  

... but, as I said above.  I am not outraged or super-angry about it.  I just find it irritating, and I think it's dumb, and it pulled me OUT of the story as opposed to drawing me in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are talking about fantasy. I would have a problem if someone did a biographical movie on Patton and cast a Pakistani. I have no problem with a dark skinned dwarf.

Sure, but we are not just talking about GENERIC "fantasy" - in which case I wouldn't care in the slightest.  We are specifically talking about a series that has been hyped and advertised precisely because it is based on the world and mythos that TOLKIEN created.  Clearly, they are trying to ride the coat-tails of the block-buster success of Tolkien "Lord of the Rings" movies (and also the shitty "Hobbit" movies, I guess), and so that is part of the entire premise of this show.

That's the only part that I find irritating - deliberately changing something that's already established.  Tolkien's work is well-defined, and the physical appearance of the various people and races are pretty clear in the literature.  So why bother to change it?  Tolkien is very clear about what Elves look like, and they are most decidedly NOT dark-skinned (as just one example). It seems silly and unnecessary, and that's what irritates me about it.

If you want to make NEW fantasy literature, go crazy!  There's tons of it out there, post-Tolkien, and a lot of it is spectacularly good, IMO.  I have no problem with that.  But, if someone is going to make a Tolkien-based show, and want to make a big deal about how it is Tolkien, then I think they should stick as closely to Tolkien's vision as they can.  

... but, as I said above.  I am not outraged or super-angry about it.  I just find it irritating, and I think it's dumb, and it pulled me OUT of the story as opposed to drawing me in.

Yep, that's the crux of the problem. If Bezos had taken $1B and had his company come up with it's own fantasy story franchise filled with elves, orcs, and dwarves, none of which are beings exclusive to Tolkien's works, likely no one would care about black elves or black dwarven women without beards or female warrior elves.

As you mention, the problem is that Tolkien went to very extensive lengths to come up with the most minute of details for his lore as he intended to create a mythological lore for England, which it lacked, and this production doesn't adhere to any of that. I know this as even a very casual LOTR fan.

It really is no different than the previously mentioned example with the Starship Troopers film. On it's own, and not called Starship Troopers, the film would be a pretty entertaining bit of campy sci fi but, it's not Starship Troopers. You can apply the same thing to Star Trek Discovery, though I would argue that doesn't even fit the bill as good generic sci fi.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gee. That’s a tough one.  I mean what person could possibly know details about fictional characters a writer created?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:   I am going scorched earth, this is personal.
View Quote

LOL!  Good one!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suspect this is why the Tolkien Estate was, and remains, so hesitant to sell the rights to ANY of this material, certainly to sell any more.  Hollywood CANNOT be trusted to maintain the integrity of the material.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... instead of Smaug the dragon, it's A-OK to make the new character a giant dickbutt, and instead of breathing fire and torching everything/everyone in its path, it shoots copious loads of semen, drowning everyone in its path (maybe the Jackass crew heard about this script, and had a similar epiphany).

After all, it's just fantasy, and dragons aren't real, therefore, we can just ignore what the writer has described, and depict things however we prefer, based on feelz, right?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The dwarves did not find a Silmaril in the mountain ...They have been made in the moon/sun at this point in the world, that was First Age happenings.  The Arkenstone was found in Erebor, this show has to with Khazad-dûm (or Moria), dwarves discovered Mithril in Khazad-dûm, and also a Maiar(same being as Gandolf)...the Balrog which had been made evil by Melkor while mining for more and more Mithril.  

Galadriel was pretty bad ass warrior as well, helping lead the revolt of the Noldar, so not sure where the hate for her character in the show comes from, if you follow her story arc she is one of the most powerful beings in all of Middle Earth.  

Maybe instead of worrying about OMG a brown elf!!!!!1!!!!!  Know your material better of more important things...

I really like the show, and look forward to where they take it.  

As for meteor guy...I think it's Tom Bombadil...but am probably wrong. or could be Glroifindel...guess I'll have to watch to find out.  

View Quote

13er trolling actual Tolkien fans
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  As for meteor guy...I think it's Tom Bombadil...but am probably wrong. or could be Glroifindel...guess I'll have to watch to find out.  
View Quote

With the extreme license they are taking with the material, it is difficult to know who he is or what they will do.

Tom Bombadil has been around a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time.  Some characterize him as the spirit of Middle Earth, itself.  Tolkien said he was an enigma.(1)

'And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally).'
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No. 144, dated 1954

It is unlikely to be Glorfindel, he was an elf.  Glorfindel was, "a noble Elf of Gondolin, who fled the Fall of that city with Tuor and Idril and whose battle with a Balrog in the Encircling Mountains secured their escape with their son Eärendil."   (2)

1.  Tolkien's Letters
2.  Encyclopedia of Arda

Link to Encyclopedia of Arda about Glorfindel
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd suggest that, rather than just guessing, you re-read the Appendices.  That material, plus their extrapolations, are all they can use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm waiting for the meal of Chit lens, Neckbones, Greens with Hot Sauce.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So who is he?
View Quote

Your guess is as good as mine.  It looks as if even HE does not know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I suspect this is why the Tolkien Estate was, and remains, so hesitant to sell the rights to ANY of this material, certainly to sell any more.  Hollywood CANNOT be trusted to maintain the integrity of the material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should have included a clause saying that no characters or races could be gender/race swapped from what Tolkien wrote them as
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

As already mentioned in this thread, with a $7xx MILLION freakin budget, they could have hired GOOD fantasy writers to create their OWN damned world/story, instead of trying to ride the coattails of established work, then going, "Well, fuck all this, and fuck the longtime fans, we're just gonna change/rewrite shit however we please".

What next? "Oh, we want to normalize the 'fat is healthy/beautiful' BS, so now we're casting big, fat heifers as elves. Tolkien describes them as tall, fair and slender? WTF'ever..."
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#36]
"'The Rings Of Powers' Is Not For Purists Or Racists"

Elon Musk DESTROYS Rings of Power with Savage RANT!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They didn't get the rights to LOTR for this.

They got the rights to some of the appendices from ... it's either lotr or silmarillion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon couldn’t secure the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or any other books but LOTR and it shows.

They didn't get the rights to LOTR for this.

They got the rights to some of the appendices from ... it's either lotr or silmarillion.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Friend and fellow ARFCOMmer just got this delivered.

They're trying so hard!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#39]
They should have licensed Steven Erickson’s Malazan series.

That has all kinds of different races mixed together from various conquered nations.

It has female soldiers in their military.  Big, burly ones too; that should pander to the LGBTQ… crowd.

Everyone one be confused for the first season or two by it but the payoff would be good.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just watched the first episode. I liked it.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say the venn diagram of people that hate this and people that have a photo of white Jesus in their house is a single circle.
View Quote

Ever heard of a guy named Hadrian or the Islamic conquests of the Levant?

No telling what people looked like in that area 2000 years ago. But if Hadrian didn’t kill them all the Muhammidans did.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
The irony is that by "modernizing" Tolkien, they've in essence created Dungeons and Dragons.  Because that's what Dungeons and Dragons is.  It started out as a bunch of kids in mom's basement playing their own Tolkien fantasies.  I still remember the old Gold Box Dark Queen of Krynn, where they had all sorts of Tolkien-inspired limitations.  Like Dwarves couldn't be magic users.  Why?  Because damnit, Dwarves are fighters who wear heavy armor, carry an ax, and drink lots of beer and eat red meat off the bone like Gimli.  It evolved to be much more diverse and inclusive because that's what you want for a game.  If some 12-year-old wants to create a half-orc cleric, let them.  If you want to name your gay sage Elrond, go ahead.  It's a game, not high literature.  

I'm actually enjoying the show the same way I enjoy the Starship Troopers movie.  In my mind neither has anything to do with the source material, they're just fun little adventures.  So what if they named their characters after Tolkien characters.  I'm guilty of that too.  Back when I was playing Icewind Dale and had to name six freakin characters there were lots of "Finrods" and "Fingons" and "Arwens."  2nd Edition Elves had the best multi-class options, and I needed names for all of them.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder if Musk has to have his Amazon account under a pseudonym or use a staffer's, Bezos seems like the kind of shit that would ban him out of spite.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where in any of the books does it say Galadriel physically fought in any battles?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Watch the first 2 episodes.... Well I tried to. Didn't make it all the way through the 2nd.

Anyway, I figured I give it a fair shot at least.

Disappointing. I could get past the race bending, but they have changed characters basic nature and personalities.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Watch the first 2 episodes.... Well I tried to. Didn't make it all the way through the 2nd.

Anyway, I figured I give it a fair shot at least.

Disappointing. I could get past the race bending, but they have changed characters basic nature and personalities.

https://i.ibb.co/s6Nydg6/wokien.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So... instead of Smaug the dragon, it's A-OK to make the new character a giant dickbutt, and instead of breathing fire and torching everything/everyone in its path, it shoots copious loads of semen, drowning everyone in its path (maybe the Jackass crew heard about this script, and had a similar epiphany).

After all, it's just fantasy, and dragons aren't real, therefore, we can just ignore what the writer has described, and depict things however we prefer, based on feelz, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, the hue of a halfing or a dwarf is equivalent to a dragon shooting fire or semen. Got it!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top