Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Show sucks, but I'm really enjoying the memes.

I'm also enjoying watching amazon fall on their face.

Maybe between this and the money they're losing due to inflation (decline in consumer spending), fucktard Bezos will wise up and quit catering to (funding) libtard causes.

https://i.ibb.co/DgR780L/ROP.jpg
View Quote

Reminds me of another fantasy show.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Seriously?

Carmen is the type that would just fuck you until she can find the richer guy. Dizzy is the type that would fuck you in front of the rich guy. Dizzy is the wild type that would bust her ass to impress you where Carmen is the type that would fuck you and then take your ass to the cleaners as she runs off with your boss.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dizzy is def ride or die. . . . but damn, no way I'm not picking Carmen

Seriously?

Carmen is the type that would just fuck you until she can find the richer guy. Dizzy is the type that would fuck you in front of the rich guy. Dizzy is the wild type that would bust her ass to impress you where Carmen is the type that would fuck you and then take your ass to the cleaners as she runs off with your boss.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m concerned they will write it in that the apocalypse was caused by “MAGA forces”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just hope they do Fallout better than this.

I forgot all about that.

https://c.tenor.com/u4GjkWBRpFwAAAAC/ben-affleck-thinking.gif

I am not holding my breath.

I guess the good thing about Fallout is that there is NO canon in terms of "main character" for anything past Fallout 1 and 2 - in Fallout 4 you could be the strong is woman who is kicking everyone's ass if you wanted to be, and same in Fallout 3.  So there's less to "violate" even if the story ends up being about a "strong woman" - because anyone could have built such a character anyway.

So I am not too worried about that aspect of it.  I am just worried they won't get the atmosphere and "feel" of the post-apocalyptic world right.  

I’m concerned they will write it in that the apocalypse was caused by “MAGA forces”

The Brotherhood of MAGA and their power armor….
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show sucks, but I'm really enjoying the memes.

I'm also enjoying watching amazon fall on their face.

Maybe between this and the money they're losing due to inflation (decline in consumer spending), fucktard Bezos will wise up and quit catering to (funding) libtard causes.

https://i.ibb.co/DgR780L/ROP.jpg

Reminds me of another fantasy show.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/7C39FB5A-0CB3-4050-874C-3B9501E4D935_jpe-2516627.JPG

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

"Dark" wasn't a descriptor of complexion  --->  https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Moriquendi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually a good point...Drizzt was a "dark elf"

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lps0WuWrNeOSpby_kPbgQcFgKLE=/1400x1400/filters:format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22528139/drizzt_cover_art.jpg

Nothing "fair" about Drizzt Do'Urden, but he kicked ass! I'm sure Amazon or Netflix would be scared to give him that "white" hair, or associate a "dark" elf with mostly being evil, and they would most assuredly make him a transgendered gay she-male to fit with modern times and popular culture

ROCK6

"Dark" wasn't a descriptor of complexion  --->  https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Moriquendi
For Tolkien it wasn't. I brought RA Salvatore  into the discussion to prove a point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]

The writer is contrasting it with Game of Thrones which does have that stuff in that the Rings series is more family friendly. It is not an aspersion on the series and the author is not opining the need for them at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Did they film 22 episodes?  

How else could it be $715M with nobody actors?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a massive Tolken fan. I never read the original novels, but I have seen all the Peter Jackson movies. I have watched some Lord of the Rings lore videos and I have a vague idea of the LOTR universe and it's "history", the different "ages" and so forth.

So far, I don't hate the Amazon show.  It's predictable in its wokeness, but so far it's not unwatchable. So, I'm sticking with it.

I do think though that House of the Dragon on HBO is a lot better so far, but it's not grabbing me and exciting me in the same way that the original season of Game of Thrones did.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seriously?

ROCK6
View Quote

Fuck Carmen
Marry Dizz
Kill vagina brain bug
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Literally what happened in the show.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The one thing the show has is really good sets, costume design, and CGI. Production values are really good.

But that doesn’t make a tv show great, or even good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Certainly someone read the material though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon couldn't secure the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or any other books but LOTR and it shows.

Certainly someone read the material though...

The janitor.

Maybe some of the grips or electricians.

I bet you any of them could do a better job.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not a massive Tolken fan. I never read the original novels, but I have seen all the Peter Jackson movies. I have watched some Lord of the Rings lore videos and I have a vague idea of the LOTR universe and it's "history", the different "ages" and so forth.

So far, I don't hate the Amazon show.  It's predictable in its wokeness, but so far it's not unwatchable. So, I'm sticking with it.

I do think though that House of the Dragon on HBO is a lot better so far, but it's not grabbing me and exciting me in the same way that the original season of Game of Thrones did.
View Quote

... and they knew there would be people who would go this route.

This happens every single time a loved IP is picked up by hollywood. The people who like it get dumped on, the people who like the genre don't care for it might watch some of it, and the people who are meh about the IP being abused watch it ...

...funding the screwing of the fans. Hollywood laughs all the way to the offshore bank.

No, you are not wrong for watching it, but things are what they are.

ETA: this is how we get people unapologetically saying the love the jackson LOTR movies and saying he did such a good job respecting the setting - when he didn't. And in ways that the conversion to the film media did not require. Making gimli comedic (he's one of the more stand up and honorable characters in the whole thing, on a par with samwise). Making the ents stupid. Taking out glorifindel's part. Worst of all, turning frodo into a whiny pissant who tried to give the ring to the flipping nazgul.

They were visually appealing and if you didn't know and really like the books, you would have no idea and thus like them a lot.

But no, because he got it visually pretty right, and the acting wasn't bad, people get stockholm syndrome and say it's the bestest tolkien we will evar get!

*end mini-rant*
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seriously?

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

ROCK6

Dina Meyer might fit in well here, too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

ROCK6

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81535/Screenshot_2022-09-06_8_01_48_PM-2516914.png

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

ROCK6

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81535/Screenshot_2022-09-06_8_01_48_PM-2516914.png

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

... and they knew there would be people who would go this route.

This happens every single time a loved IP is picked up by hollywood. The people who like it get dumped on, the people who like the genre don't care for it might watch some of it, and the people who are meh about the IP being abused watch it ...

...funding the screwing of the fans. Hollywood laughs all the way to the offshore bank.

No, you are not wrong for watching it, but things are what they are.

ETA: this is how we get people unapologetically saying the love the jackson LOTR movies and saying he did such a good job respecting the setting - when he didn't. And in ways that the conversion to the film media did not require. Making gimli comedic (he's one of the more stand up and honorable characters in the whole thing, on a par with samwise). Making the ents stupid. Taking out glorifindel's part. Worst of all, turning frodo into a whiny pissant who tried to give the ring to the flipping nazgul.

They were visually appealing and if you didn't know and really like the books, you would have no idea and thus like them a lot.

But no, because he got it visually pretty right, and the acting wasn't bad, people get stockholm syndrome and say it's the bestest tolkien we will evar get!

*end mini-rant*
View Quote

Spot on. The LOTR trilogy was visually stunning, it really looked like Middle Earth. This includes the appearance of most of the characters. But the trilogy is plagued by major changes to the personality of many characters which substantially alters the plot and usually just shits on the character.

While obviously much material was going to have to be cut for time, the addition of some of Jackson’s own ideas was wholly unnecessary. Examples: the elves at Helm’s Deep or the Army of the Dead showing up at Minas Tirith. These things cheapened the struggles from the book and actually lessen the drama and tension.

The alterations to some characters personalities is pretty terrible. In addition to the ones you mentioned, they completely ruined Theoden, Faramir, and Denethor.

These flaws became more pronounced as the trilogy went on, with Fellowship of the Ring being mostly decent, The Two Towers having some major flaws, and The Return of the King being a mess in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The one thing the show has is really good sets, costume design, and CGI. Production values are really good.

But that doesn't make a tv show great, or even good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that doesn't make a tv show great, or even good.

$58mil per episode is the number I keep hearing tossed around for the 8 in Season 1, plus $250mil for the rights.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#20]
first two episodes suck.    not sure if its gonna get any better

maybe 20 minutes each worth watching.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I was expecting  Durin's bride to have a rather lovely beard

i guess that would be to "masculating" for today
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't jump on the chance to do some gender bending.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't jump on the chance to do some gender bending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must not have been as satisfying for them as ticking off a subset of the fans was?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Where in any of the books does it say Galadriel physically fought in any battles?
View Quote

IIRC, in one of the HoME books (where Christopher Tolkien organized a lot of Tolkien's notes and unfinished/WIP stories, some of which were deprecated or non-canon), Tolkien was playing around with how to square the 3rd Age Galadriel (who is basically a Saint, in all respects of the term) with her being part of the Noldor host who gave the Valar the finger (and her not following her father, Finarfin, back to beg pardon from the Valar) and invaded Middle Earth (which he strongly implied had as much to do with carving out Noldor kingdoms as it did with chasing the Silmarils or justice for Finwe)....

...so, in one of his working "retcons", he toyed with the idea that, during the First Kinslaying (where the Noldor kill a bunch of Teleri in the process of stealing their ships), she was part of the group* of Noldor who fought against Feanor's Noldor to defend the Teleri (her mom was a daughter of the king of the Teleri)....and only went ahead with the Exile (rather than turning back with her Dad) because her brothers and her friends (the sons of Fingolfin) were going.

Remember, a LOT of the stuff in the Silmarillion is 100% whole-cloth the work of either Chris Tolkien and/or Guy Gavriel Kay.  They had to take shreds and (often mutually-contradictory) in-progress stories from Tolkien's archives and beat them into shape, then weld them all together with altered/made-up narrative.  So stuff like Thingol being killed by dwarves is all Chris/Guy, and was never written by JRR Tolkien himself.

*-which doesn't really work, in the narrative as-is, because Finarfin's group didn't arrive at the Kinslaying until it was all over.  Of the three Noldor groups, only Feanor's (who started the fight) and Fingolfin's (who jumped in, assuming the Teleri had started it) actually participated in the fight.  Nor is any fighting between the Noldor mentioned anywhere else.  So it was probably just Tolkien trying out an idea for how it looked on-paper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#28]
RaCiSt AtTaCkS!!11!!!

RINGS OF POWER: How to PROFIT from Manufactured Racisisisms!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#29]
So they're still not letting people leave reviews on amazon?

... aren't we PAST the supposedly "only" 72 hour moratorium? ETA: yes, we are, it's 4-5 days out at least.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QH98YG1/?content-id=amzn1.sym.b956596f-3a05-4b55-a3b0-deaa36d4e65d%3Aamzn1.sym.b956596f-3a05-4b55-a3b0-deaa36d4e65d

Are there REALLY people saying that amazon... *amazon* can't tell who's a bot and who's not regarding leaving a review? Who has watched the show and who has not? Where you have to have a prime account? And they have your shipping and billing information? And they know not only if you watched it, but if you dropped out of watching it, WHEN during it you did?

It is starting to look like the reason they're suppressing the reviews is because they know what they are and know if they lift the ban and allow transparency, they're going to get slaughtered.

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power
Metacritic is at 71 / 100 critics, 1.8 / 100 fans.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone here remember or possibly participate in the forums at Imladris.com.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone here remember or possibly participate in the forums at Imladris.com.
View Quote

Not heard of either.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020310015854/https://www.councilofelrond.com/

Nor

https://web.archive.org/web/20040615070246/http://www.imladris.com/

I think maybe you're referring to this place: https://web.archive.org/web/20021016171825/http://www.council-of-elrond.com/index2.html Which was a replacement for this place: https://web.archive.org/web/19991128144424/http://imladris.net/
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#33]
You know what they could have done? They could have taken a mix of canonical and otherwise non-canonical LotR characters and story like Talion the Gravewalker, Celebrimbor, and Sauron and made an excellent series that would've made both hardcore and casual fans happy.

They chose this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
RaCiSt AtTaCkS!!11!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlGrki0cCG0
View Quote

Thanks for posting these videos. I’m catching up on them slowly but surely.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RaCiSt AtTaCkS!!11!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlGrki0cCG0

Honestly, if they weren't covering this news, I wouldn't even have any clue what the libs are bleating about.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Critical Drinker Open Bar coming up at 4:20pm ET to discuss, in part, RoP.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You know what they could have done? They could have taken a mix of canonical and otherwise non-canonical LotR characters and story like Talion the Gravewalker, Celebrimbor, and Sauron and made an excellent series that would've made both hardcore and casual fans happy.

They chose this.
View Quote

... and we knew they had chosen it when we saw who they hired to do the writing, and we had suspected it when they fired shippey.  The fact that they got the tolkien grandson on to consult who was the one who said jackson's LOTR suffered ... (this is hard to beleive) because it was TOO MUCH like the original sources ... well ... yeah.

You have to have story and script writers who are capable of handling the source with the same skill and ability as the original writer.

Amazon didn't even try to do that. Instead, they threw money at CGI to try and put lipstick on the pig, hoping people would be stupid enough to not notice or care that it was a pig.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#38]

From your link:

We hates it forever! Such has been the response of an embittered minority of JRR Tolkien fans to Amazon’s new $ 1 billion Lord of the Rings spin-off The Rings of Power. These all-too-real trolls are variously offended by the diverse cast, beard-free female dwarves – Tolkien preferred his lady dwarves heartily hirsute – and the re-imagining of elf queen Galadriel as orc-kicking action heroine.

Nah, it couldn't be that the writers did a horrible job with the original source, wrote galadriel as a second rate european knock off of the dragon lady trope,  the directors have directed the characters to act  abominably (think lucas star wars prequels), and the dialogue is (at best) sub par.

No, it has to be us, not you hollywood. Never mind that the same thing happens to you  every single time you do this. It couldn't be you, oh no! It always has to be someone else!

ETA: LOL! ...

Called it:
But Amazon on its own cannot quell the haters. They have also flooded sites such as Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB (ironically, owned by Amazon), where The Rings of Power has 34 per cent and 24 per cent approval ratings. Often they use bots – malicious software programmed to spam sites with negative feedback.

IT'S BOTS! Uh ... no, don't ask for proof! Just accept it!

Go on amazon. Dare you to allow transparency in your review section.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#39]
It's pretty bad, I've seen the first two eps.  Slow as F--- too.  And that's without bitching about the Woke BS in the middle.  

However I will continue to watch is as it's still better then 87% of the rest of the crap on TV these days.  I hate so say it but the new Game Of Thrones is better written so far.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Amazon is so desperate to silence any criticism of their $715M boondoggle that they are seemingly attempting to paint anyone who says anything negative about the show as a racist.

Disney did the same thing with the Kenobi TV show.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's pretty bad, I've seen the first two eps.  Slow as F--- too.  And that's without bitching about the Woke BS in the middle.  

However I will continue to watch is as it's still better then 87% of the rest of the crap on TV these days.  I hate so say it but the new Game Of Thrones is better written so far.
View Quote

It's not my place but I wish people in your position would ... say ...

Wait a few days after release to watch.

I feel dirty for saying that, but I believe it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Lots of "It's bad, but I will watch it anyway" replies

Or, instead, you could:

Garden, exercise, read a book, watch an old good TV series, engage in sexual relations with your SO, build a something, play video games, or about 10000 other things instead.

Stop giving this bullshit clicks, and while you are at it drop prime because Amazon hates you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Amazon is so desperate to silence any criticism of their $715M boondoggle that they are seemingly attempting to paint anyone who says anything negative about the show as a racist.

Disney did the same thing with the Kenobi TV show.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/B6F7EBDC-D6B5-44F0-AF8C-D4736C9B932A_jpe-2518728.JPG
View Quote

Yep. Az covered they in his video.

They have merch and everything.

Like he said you can't tell me this isn't a campaign they didn't have ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

ROCK6

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.0650c2b40c1a6e727ef74e318e8acdfa?rik=Kp5WQ92Q0zl4OQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f5xaOcLLyNsTBTjfM5DG%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=qAWScH4O8swsVDseMNEK3geRC0eg1slBHoVchrgDW5c%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

That female newscaster is easy on the eyes
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I was a huge Tolkien fan in my high school and college years. Can’t even count how many times I read his books.

That being said, every Tolkien movie I have ever seen has disappointed me. In best interest of my blood pressure, I’m not even going to watch Amazon’s shit show.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Rings of Power pulls out the Ol Faithful
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#47]
The Rings of Power: The Farce Continues

Just some guy's review of the 2nd ep.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Valliant renegade doing what he does ...

Breaking down the hollywood industry tricks and making the shellgame transparent and understandable:

House of The Dragon DESTROYS Rings Of Power 267% | Ratings DISASTER

House of The Dragon DESTROYS Rings Of Power 267% | Ratings DISASTER
10,171 views  Sep 6, 2022  Amazon Prime Rings Of Power Ratings DISASTER | HBO Game of Thrones House of The Dragon DESTROYS Lord Of The Rings spinoff in SAMBA TV Ratings by 267% viewership | Hollywood Entertainment NEWS | SAMBA TV EXPLAINED | Ratings Explained

SAMBA TV has just released its measurements and ratings for Rings Of Power and they are not at all what Amazon Prime was hoping for. While the show barely beat out recent premieres of lackluster Disney Marvel entries like She Hulk or Pixar's Lightyear. House of The Dragon CRUSHED Rings of Power by a MASSIVE 267%

Amazon Studios had everything riding on its $1 Billion Lord Of The Rings investment and it launched to an arguably terrible start for such a HUGE property.

Let's break down the reported ratings from Amazon Prime, HBO Max Warner Bros Discovery, and SAMBA TV.

He breaks down the numbers, puts them into context, and explains the tricks and gaps in what is known.

ETA: Pretty brutal.

So, ROP beat out a few other shows over the same time length.. They beat she-hulk by 300k views over 4 days, beat the new buzz lightyear by 100k households. They didn't beat stranger things, which got 3.2 mill. in it's first four days.

Pretty paltry, what dropping a cool billion gets you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was a huge Tolkien fan in my high school and college years. Can’t even count how many times I read his books.

That being said, every Tolkien movie I have ever seen has disappointed me. In best interest of my blood pressure, I’m not even going to watch Amazon’s shit show.

View Quote

Peter Jackson deviated significantly from canon, but Amazon's motives are entirely political and it shows. Contrived woketard bullshit.

Tolkien was a professor of Anglo Saxon history. LOTR was his (fictional) creation of Anglo Saxon mythos.

Race bending LOTR characters is like casting Idris Elba as Braveheart or Mark Wahlberg as the Black Panther. It's fucking stupid.

Writers focused on politics rather than story come up with stupid shit like Galadriel deciding to swim to Middle Earth.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Snipped from Drinker's Open Bar if you don't want to watch the whole 2:45.

Drinker's Chasers - Rings of Power: Bad Writing and Fan Attacks
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top