User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed..
When they were in the room on the racks and he said this reminds me of my Cadet days only I didn't have to get up so many times to pee LOL I can relate to that.

Also when he said you have a stiff hand and my knees are killing me so as long as we don't have to shoot or move we're okay

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far, Riker "makes the show" for me right now, and reflecting back on TNG.., where I always thought it was Picard, now I realize that Riker was just as important to making that show work as well. He's is a necessary part of the equation, IMO.

Jonathan Frakes hasn't missed a beat.

Agreed..
When they were in the room on the racks and he said this reminds me of my Cadet days only I didn't have to get up so many times to pee LOL I can relate to that.

Also when he said you have a stiff hand and my knees are killing me so as long as we don't have to shoot or move we're okay

Frakes is solid gold.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Drinker's Chasers - Can A Franchise Redeem Itself?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do mean that people are so desperate for good Trek that any slight improvement may seem like something good, but not really be?
View Quote
@JustinU235

ok it's pretty good
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@JustinU235

ok it's pretty good
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Star Trek: Picard Season 3, Episode 1 - re:View

ETA: "It's so dark she couldn't see her research so she accidentally cloned her dead husband."
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8iaLhUVxI

ETA: "It's so dark she couldn't see her research so she accidentally cloned her dead husband."
View Quote
Oh man I was hoping they would chime. Going to watch now!
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Drinker's Chasers - Picard Season 3 Is Pretty Good!
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the feel of this season already.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Decent start, with some caveats - for perspective I grew up on TNG then DS9, so they were my favorites. Voyager was "okay", and Enterprise had a neat spin on it, and I was apparently one of the few who didn't mind the Riker/Troi appearance in the ENT series finale. Tied nicely into a previous TNG episode.

I liked the JJ-Trek movies, mostly due to excellent casting.

Discovery, ugggggghhh... I watched a few episodes to see what it was about and wanted that time back.

Strange New Worlds, ehh first season was okay but I likely won't continue watching.

Then Picard Seasons 1-2 (spoilers, oh well, you're in a Season 3 thread):

Picard Season 1 started off decent, even though PStew is way past retirement age, plus the whole SHEER FUCKING HUBRIS scene. A Romulan has infiltrated Starfleet Intelligence. Bunch of Synths go haywire and kill thousands... oh and a retcon about (some) Romulans hating AI/cybernetic life even though that's never been shown before. More Soong androids, including Cylon-like models that are TOTES undetectable even though Trek medical scanners can see down to the DNA. In the end, Picard DIES but then is reborn in a cybernetic golem, buttttttt out of respect they made him the same age and programmed in an end-of-life cycle so he doesn't live forever. How convenient. Soong Synths want to send a signal somewhere to call upon Cthulhu or something to destroy humanity, but Picard's sacrifice convinces them PEOPLE GOOD. Oh the Borg were involved somehow, but only an almost-dead cube. Seems like a great idea, what could go wrong.

Season 2, while fun to see Q again (first TNG era with decent de-aging for a TV show, then aged up to make Picard feel better, liked that part), of course it was going to be a time travel season with the BORG. Oh but Geordi/Jirati (sp?) outsmarts the Borg Queen and becomes the new Queen, wants to make an alliance with the Feds to save the quadrant. There was more retconning in there somewhere, and the cigar-smoking Capt who speaks Spanish even though everyone has Universal Translators stays behind in the 21st century even though he knows WW3 is coming and hundreds of millions are going to die. No way he'll try to change the timeline, nope.

Season 3 looks to be a return to TNG era (especially going by the font and music choices), soooooooo here's hoping. I've been hunting for spoilers, since the first 6 episodes have been released to early reviewers, but haven't found much. Amanda Plummer, who plays Captain Vadic, the villain of the season (so far), is the daughter of Chris Plummer, who played Klingon General Chang in Star Trek VI. However that seems too on the nose. I'm guessing she's related to the Son'a from the Star Trek: Insurrection movie; ships seem similar, and her face resembles the makeup from that race. Other people have guessed she's a survivor of a Borg attack from when Picard was Locutus.

A few gripes so far: a (retired) Admiral and active duty Captain agree to go after Dr. Crusher, who says NO STARFLEET. So their only plan is to tag along on Riker's old ship and politely ask the new Capt to divert course with no official orders? He has a ship full of a people to keep safe. I know there was a scene about Riker/Picard chartering a ship but I blanked out. Couldn't they borrow a runabout or something? On DS9 they let an Ensign and civilian take those out all the time...
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Picard Season 3. Good enough to forget the dreck? Green light: Yes or No?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Decent start, with some caveats - for perspective I grew up on TNG then DS9, so they were my favorites. Voyager was "okay", and Enterprise had a neat spin on it, and I was apparently one of the few who didn't mind the Riker/Troi appearance in the ENT series finale. Tied nicely into a previous TNG episode.

Discovery, ugggggghhh... I watched a few episodes to see what it was about and wanted that time back.

Strange New Worlds, ehh first season was okay but I likely won't continue watching.

Picard Season 1 started off decent, even though PStew is way past retirement age, plus the whole SHEER FUCKING HUBRIS scene. A Romulan has infiltrated Starfleet Intelligence. Bunch of Synths go haywire and kill thousands... oh and a retcon about (some) Romulans hating AI/cybernetic life even though that's never been shown before. More Soong androids, including Cylon-like models that are TOTES undetectable even though Trek medical scanners can see down to the DNA. In the end, Picard DIES but then is reborn in a cybernetic golem, buttttttt out of respect they made him the same age and programmed in an end-of-life cycle so he doesn't live forever. How convenient. Soong Synths want to send a signal somewhere to call upon Cthulhu or something to destroy humanity, but Picard's sacrifice convinces them PEOPLE GOOD. Oh the Borg were involved somehow, but only an almost-dead cube. Seems like a great idea, what could go wrong.

Season 2, while fun to see Q again (first TNG era with decent de-aging for a TV show, then aged up to make Picard feel better, liked that part), of course it was going to be a time travel season with the BORG. Oh but Geordi/Jirati (sp?) outsmarts the Borg Queen and becomes the new Queen, wants to make an alliance with the Feds to save the quadrant. There was more retconning in there somewhere, and the cigar-smoking Capt who speaks Spanish even though everyone has Universal Translators stays behind in the 21st century even though he knows WW3 is coming and hundreds of millions are going to die. No way he'll try to change the timeline, nope.

Season 3 looks to be a return to TNG era (especially going by the font and music choices), soooooooo here's hoping. I've been hunting for spoilers, since the first 6 episodes have been released to early reviewers, but haven't found much. Amanda Plummer, who plays Captain Vadic, the villain of the season (so far), is the daughter of Chris Plummer, who played Klingon General Chang in Star Trek VI. However that seems too on the nose. I'm guessing she's related to the Son'a from the Star Trek: Insurrection movie; ships seem similar, and her face resembles the makeup from that race. Other people have guessed she's a survivor of a Borg attack from when Picard was Locutus.

A few gripes so far: a (retired) Admiral and active duty Captain agree to go after Dr. Crusher, who says NO STARFLEET. So their only plan is to tag along on Riker's old ship and politely ask the new Capt to divert course with no official orders? He has a ship full of a people to keep safe. I know there was a scene about Riker/Picard chartering a ship but I blanked out. Couldn't they borrow a runabout or something? On DS9 they let an Ensign and civilian take those out all the time...
View Quote

Good summary. Thanks for summarizing season 2 since I haven't seen it.

I also agree with that plot point that was glaring about not trusting Starfleet but then going directly to starfleet. What I have gathered from all the posted reviews, though, is that this guy is going to end up growing on us and being, as RLM put it (or was it Drinker, I lost track?), a "neutral good guy."
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm hopeful and they've set a very low bar on what could be considered improvement.  Would have liked to have seen more plot development in the first episode.  

Bets on the episode number when they take the 1701d (and maybe the voyager) out of the museum?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm tentatively optimistic for this season. Season 2 started out not terrible the first 2 episodes then quickly took a nosedive from there. We shall see how this season goes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked the tail end of Season 2.  The flashbacks were grating, but once that was done, the last couple episodes I thought were very good with Q.

This first episode of S3 is alot of fun.  Echoing what others have said, Jonathan Frakes is great, I like that they let him let loose with the humor and cockiness.

So I dont remember if Brent Spiner is supposed to be in S3, is he in any of the posters?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good summary. Thanks for summarizing season 2 since I haven't seen it.

I also agree with that plot point that was glaring about not trusting Starfleet but then going directly to starfleet. What I have gathered from all the posted reviews, though, is that this guy is going to end up growing on us and being, as RLM put it (or was it Drinker, I lost track?), a "neutral good guy."
View Quote

Ha - apparently Q was dying, and with Picard moping about being old, wanted to show the Admiral a "what could have been", ala the TNG episode 'Tapestry' (where Q sends Picard back in time to his academy days and never received an artificial heart).

S2 starts in the current day, but it's similar to the Mirror Universe where Picard is an evil General, and showcases a trophy room of kills, including some interesting ones from TNG/DS9 - https://trekmovie.com/2022/03/15/get-a-closer-look-at-the-dark-timeline-skull-collection-from-star-trek-picard/

Picard teams up with his crew from S1, who have all retained their memories, and concoct a plan to kidnap the Borg Queen being held hostage and travel back in time to un-do whatever was done. I skipped several episodes so my summary is not very complete...

Bunch of 21st century shenanigans (I think it was 2029? Too lazy to verify right now), including the FBI arresting Picard as an alien, a younger but totally different looking Guinan (Whoopi supposedly couldn't fit through the doorway of the studio), the Borg Queen getting loose and assimilating Jirati but OH it was a trick... ugh. Almost as bad as Janeway out-smarting the Borg Queen on multiple occasions...
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm hopeful and they've set a very low bar on what could be considered improvement.  Would have liked to have seen more plot development in the first episode.  

Bets on the episode number when they take the 1701d (and maybe the voyager) out of the museum?
View Quote

1701-A is in the museum, 1701-D crash-landed on Veridian III (thanks to a woman at the helm).
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1701-A is in the museum, 1701-D crash-landed on Veridian III (thanks to a woman at the helm).
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually liked strange new worlds so I'm going to give it a chance for second season. As for Discovery no that was a steaming pile of shit from the get-go although I did like Capt Lorca...

I'm hoping that snw lays a little bit off of the estrogen the second season although they probably won't. But I will give it an opportunity cuz I do like Anson Mount as Captain Pike
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Actual Drinker main channel review.

Picard Season 3 - Franchise Saviour, Or Too Little Too Late?

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8iaLhUVxI

View Quote

I think I've watched the first 15 seconds of this about 100 times now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actual Drinker main channel review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyDo4eZGVG8
View Quote

"F bombs as appropriate as a drag show at a kindergarten."

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought it was meh. Trying too hard and not focusing on the things that matter. Just because they make references to past episodes, doesn’t mean it makes the current episode a good one.

Seemed like it was trying to be an action movie. Not necessarily bad, but the communicator thing was silly, not involving starfeet and then involving starfleet was silly. Why not just say why you can’t trust anyone? The shotgun phaser was silly. The ploy to just arrive on a ship and get it to change course was silly.

I know it’s not hard science fiction or anything, but making so many silly things just makes it completely unbelievable.

The rag tag gang once again single handily saves the universe! Look we brought back old characters! Focus on that! You can’t say it’s bad because old characters are good!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Per Picard 2x01 the saucer was recovered and is in the museum.  You know Geordi has a spare star drive laying around to pair it with.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Per Picard 2x01 the saucer was recovered and is in the museum.  You know Geordi has a spare star drive laying around to pair it with.
View Quote

Ah, I skipped most of S2 so didn't catch that.

That means conceivably the Ent-D could make an appearance to help the crew... millions of fanbois would jizz their pants.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That means conceivably the Ent-D could make an appearance to help the crew... millions of fanbois would jizz their pants.
View Quote
I would.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would.

I like Enterprise E better. Or Enterprise refit from Wrath of Khan

I'm warming up to the Enterprise from Star Trek strange new worlds
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I like Enterprise E better. Or Enterprise refit from Wrath of Khan

I'm warming up to the Enterprise from Star Trek strange new worlds
View Quote

I liked E better also. Not sure why it gets so much hate.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I liked E better also. Not sure why it gets so much hate.
View Quote

I don't either I always thought the D was more like a luxury liner than a Starship.

The Sovereign class just looks almost like a predator sleek like a shark
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
They built quite a few Galaxy-class ships, and as far as I know, only 3 were lost: Yamato, Ent-D and Odyssey. There is a star drive section around somewhere at a Zakdorn scrapyard, most likely.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They built quite a few Galaxy-class ships, and as far as I know, only 3 were lost: Yamato, Ent-D and Odyssey. There is a star drive section around somewhere at a Zakdorn scrapyard, most likely.
View Quote

They had to lose more than that especially with the Dominion War. At that time the Galaxy class starship was still the most advanced one they had. Second would be the nebula class starship. Pretty much anything after that was either small like the Intrepid class or older ships like either the Excelsior or Miranda Class that they drug out of mothballs for the Dominion War.

I don't know what time frame the Dominion War fell in to but I don't think the Sovereign class was in service yet
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also destroyed Galaxy class:
USS Asgard (from one of the books)
USS Monitor (from one of the games)
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Voyager is there too, I think they'll dust them both off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Voyager is there too, I think they'll dust them both off.
View Quote

The Intrepid class is a cool little ship. Not quite a sexy as a Galaxy class or a Sovereign class but it's actually a cool little ship that I could see myself on. Either that or a Defiant class...

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hope? Too little too late?

Dave Cullen (one of the reviewers I like along with Drinker and RLM) was given early access to season 3 and he speaks well of it.

Previously, he was very harsh on Picard (and other new Trek) like everyone else (Drinker, RLM, etc.)

He claims he's not being swayed to say good things by being given early access, but I'm skeptical. Probably going to wait for Drinker to weigh in since I've sworn off all new trek (though I like strange new worlds).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNANI4-41VU
View Quote

Is this the same Brit that does the TrekCulture reviews?  They sound a lot alike.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before the Dominion war 3 of the original 6 were destroyed.
More were built during The Dominion war.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is this the same Brit that does the TrekCulture reviews?  They sound a lot alike.
View Quote

I'm not sure, I haven't seen those reviews.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Dang. I'm loving it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Star Trek: Picard Season 3 Ep 2: Disengage Review (Spoilers)
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm not sure, I haven't seen those reviews.
View Quote

The voices are pretty close.

Ups & Downs From Star Trek: Picard 3.2 - Disengage
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dang. I'm loving it.
View Quote

Really? It's just not doing it for me yet.

I actually found myself less interested after E02. I feel like it's still trying to be too cinematic and action movie-ish, IMHO.

Also had a hard time taking the "big bad" seriously. No where near the chops and gravitas of her father, whom I regard as maybe the best Trek baddie.

I'll keep plugging away given what I've seen some folks whose opinions I respect say about it though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm loving it so far, reminds me of my favorite TNG and DS9 episodes, but in high def. That silent scene between Jean-Luc and Beverly at the end, WOW, not a fan of PStew but that was damn fine acting.

Quoted:

Really? It's just not doing it for me yet.

I actually found myself less interested after E02. I feel like it's still trying to be too cinematic and action movie-ish, IMHO.

Also had a hard time taking the "big bad" seriously. No where near the chops and gravitas of her father, whom I regard as maybe the best Trek baddie.

I'll keep plugging away given what I've seen some folks whose opinions I respect say about it though.
View Quote

You gotta admit, getting the Georgia grand jury person to play the baddie was spot-on casting.

I'm really interested to find out the backstory about Vadic - I hope I'm wrong but seems like someone from the future, as she immediately knew who the Titan's CO was.

Also:
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Another really good episode!

It feels like an 8th season of The Next Generation, it's so great... The interactions between people who have known each other for DECADES are fun to watch.

"I thought I could protect mine (Bev's son), I didn't know... if I could protect YOUR'S (Picard's)." Oooof.

The battle scenes in the nebula:
Click To View Spoiler

And the big baddie for this season (so far):
Click To View Spoiler

This episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes (Riker). Last scene was tough to watch!

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Too bad René Auberjonois is gone...
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know but at least Worf gave his character a nod of respect.
View Quote

Yup..
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Can't watch until next week.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#49]
This show feels like a misfiring engine. It wants to run but it just won't.

1) Quantum torpedoes are a pretty common thing in the period this is happening in, why doesn't the Titan have any? Apparently nothing was learned fighting the Borg or Species 8572 in terms of armament or tactics.
2) In the 21st century (and even the 20th) we managed to have IFF but, in the 25th we're still rehashing the Hunt For Red October "You arrogant ass, you've killed us!" weapons antics?
3) Please stop trying to make Raffi happen. It's not going to happen.
4) Please stop trying to make Star Trek 11 cinematics happen. It's not going to happen.
5) Please stop trying to make the stupid humor/quips happen. It's not going to happen.
6) Can some one please replicate a fucking light bulb or two?
7) Any chance we can stop and take a breath to allow for story development at some point? Not ever scene needs to be break-neck action/shaky cam.

I don't want to shit on anyone that''s enjoying it but, sorry, still not living up to the hype.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This show feels like a misfiring engine. It wants to run but it just won't.

1) Quantum torpedoes are a pretty common thing in the period this is happening in, why doesn't the Titan have any? Apparently nothing was learned fighting the Borg or Species 8572 in terms of armament or tactics.
2) In the 21st century (and even the 20th) we managed to have IFF but, in the 25th we're still rehashing the Hunt For Red October "You arrogant ass, you've killed us!" weapons antics?
3) Please stop trying to make Raffi happen. It's not going to happen.
View Quote

I'm not up-to-date on my Trek technical specs, but IIRC quantum torpedoes can't be launched from a regular photon torpedo launcher. At least in DS9 era they were limited to certain ships (Defiant, obviously, Enterprise-E, Exceslior-class USS Lakota had been upgraded with q-torps to stop the Defiant). It's been over 40 years in-universe so you'd THINK they'd make sure all new ships could fire them.

They keep saying Titan-A is an exploratory vessel though, so..

I agree about Raffi, if it wasn't for Worf I'd be skipping those scenes.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top