BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You haven't lived until you've shot full-power 10mm through a Glock 29...
View Quote

It is fun!    The pumpkin sized fireballs at the indoor range and the folks looking out of the stalls...  I have some original proload ammo that is something else.  All that being said I am not convinced, despite all the noise and flame, that the 10mm is all that much better than a 9 or 45 in the real world.  It is somewhat faster and a bit heavier but pistols are still pistols.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I really need to get some 45Super ammo for my USPTac.  How well do you think it will suppress?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

In this thread, 10mm aficionados speak of the original loading, and the masses will re-tell the stories while shooting .40 level rounds...
View Quote

Yep...they fail to convey the issues the original loading wrought on firearms not specifically designed for it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

At least I don't have to deal with sweaty palms and awkward glances now...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought 200 rounds of 10mm for $82

Can I go shopping with you?

As long as I get on free "get out of jail" card and we hold hands

I'm not comfortable with the get out of jail card.

At least I don't have to deal with sweaty palms and awkward glances now...

he never said he wasn't comfortable holding hands...
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In this thread, 10mm aficionados speak of the original loading, and the masses will re-tell the stories while shooting .40 level rounds...
View Quote

Modern 10mm loads outperforms the original Norma loading using heavier bullets that are faster I.E a Norma 170 grain round was 1300 fps BB  is 180 at 1350. Norma 200 grain was 1200 fps BB is 220 at 1200.

Plus the modern bullet construction is better.

The lighter loaded rounds are still faster than .40.

I know you wanted to try to sound cool, it helps to know the subject matter better when you try.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]

I am consistently shocked by how many people look at that and don't realize it's shopped.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

10mm beats .45ACP like a red-rented stepmule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure this is an original thread so there is probably no reason to rehash it. But what round is better in a 1911 for CCW?

10mm beats .45ACP like a red-rented stepmule.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Whoopie-fucking-doo!

A 2 dimensional, static represenation of a very dynamic event which occurs in 4 dimensions.  (The 4th being time).

Until somebody comes up with a way to hook a seismograph to a standardized block of ballistic gelatin, in my humble and non expert opinion, that picture means jack shit.

This is a better representation only because I couldn't find a slow motion .gif:

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Bullet-passing-through-ballistic-gel.jpeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In this photo we note that penetration for all of the rounds is very similar.

Whoopie-fucking-doo!

A 2 dimensional, static represenation of a very dynamic event which occurs in 4 dimensions.  (The 4th being time).

Until somebody comes up with a way to hook a seismograph to a standardized block of ballistic gelatin, in my humble and non expert opinion, that picture means jack shit.

This is a better representation only because I couldn't find a slow motion .gif:

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Bullet-passing-through-ballistic-gel.jpeg

ETA- Not to mention your opinion isn't recognized as being correct by modern terminal ballistics science as a primary means of handgun stopping.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am consistently shocked by how many people look at that and don't realize it's shopped.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're telling me they DON'T go nuclear at 6"?!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny story....

Some rounds do cause explosions in gel due to sonoluminescence.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whoopie-fucking-doo!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoopie-fucking-doo!

hahano.gif

ETA:

Now that I'm at an actual computer...

All the gelatin upset shows us is that the squishy bits inside get moved around. It's not significant at handgun velocities.

USBP did a study years ago testing the pressure of the temporary expansion cavity. It's never been published online to my knowledge, but from what I hear the data they gleaned from it wasn't too remarkable.

Marshall & Sanow's "research" on the temporary expansion cavity has been thoroughly debunked.

The Dallas Crime Lab did have a technique for examining the temporary expansion cavity when recommending duty load, but it was ultimately based on looking for controlled expansion to ensure adequate penetration - the same goal sought in the FBI standards.

Pistol bullets are hole punchers. As long as the have the energy and bullet construct to reach vitals, they can work - making more noise doesn't buy much of anything.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If 10mm cost what .45 costs, most of my weapons would be in 10mm.  

I have owned both and currently shoot .45acp exclusively.  It adequately suits my purposes without raping my wallet.

With that being said, I think a 10mm is infinately superior as a woods gun.   Costs be damned.
View Quote

http://www.sgammo.com/product/10mm-auto-ammo/50-round-box-10mm-auto-180-grain-fmj-ammo-sellier-bellot-sb10a

No reason to buy a .40 or .45 again.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/10mm-auto-ammo/50-round-box-10mm-auto-180-grain-fmj-ammo-sellier-bellot-sb10a

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have owned both and currently shoot .45acp exclusively.  It adequately suits my purposes without raping my wallet.

With that being said, I think a 10mm is infinately superior as a woods gun.   Costs be damned.

That is impressive!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
.45 Super easily makes the .45 ACP compete against 10mm
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#16]
You'll be a real billy-badass with that 10mm.

You better kill it with the FIRST hit.

becuz you'll never get a follow up shot with your muzzle pointing at the clouds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And the wound channel for everything below .357 sig (ohh that's only 9mm) is lacking
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and custom loads are the only way to go.  That reminds me, I need to get my new press.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and custom loads are the only way to go.  That reminds me, I need to get my new press.  

Sig makes 180's that do 1,250 for a reasonable price.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a G20 and G29 followed by a G21 and a G30. All of them are fantastic. 10mm trumps the .45 ACP. It is the Über .40 Caliber cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

becuz you'll never get a follow up shot with your muzzle pointing at the clouds.
View Quote

10mm is not exactly a hard recoiling caliber, even with the heaviest loads.

After shooting my 4" 629 or 500 mag with stout loads, my G20 feels like a 22
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
10mm > 45acp.

10mm has more power at 100 yards than a 45acp has at the muzzle.
View Quote

not too many defensive shootings take place at 100 yards. If that's your standard, carry an 8" barreled .500 s&w.
with modern 9mm ammo with good bullets, a small to medium-size 9 is something that is effective and concealable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes.
there's some test vids out on the web that show honest 1250 fps results.
I've shot some of the .45 ACP sig hollowpoints; very controllable and accurate in my G21.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We also note that penetration is no direct indicator of energy deposit!

10mm is the best mm!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nearly .40 at 1,100 fps.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if serious.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
not too many defensive shootings take place at 100 yards. If that's your standard, carry an 8" barreled .500 s&w.

with modern 9mm ammo with good bullets, a small to medium-size 9 is something that is effective and concealable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

10mm > 45acp.

I would say follow up shots are paramount for a pistol, at close quarters. So I definitely agree that more power isn't really the answer you should seek for a self defense pistol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.

All while parroting bad information about how you can load 10mm to Superman levels compared to what you can do with a .45.

Meanwhile those with actual experience with such things, continue to load and shoot .45 SUPER in their 1911s, and HKs, readily surpassing 10mm levels by a good margin.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I would say follow up shots are paramount for a pistol, at close quarters. So I definitely agree that more power isn't really the answer you should seek for a self defense pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

10mm > 45acp.

Agreed.  I LOVE the 10mm but for strictly defensive carry, the .45 is rally a better choice.  Now, if you are looking for an all around gun that doubles as a carry piece...that can be different.  My field 1911 is a 10mm but my carry gun is in .45 Auto.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#29]
The 10mm is a great round, but most ammo penetrates way to much. Now you have the legal aspects of over penetrating with the 10mm and possibly hitting someone else pending on where you are at. The 45ACP has 100 year of killing people.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Being fan of the 1911, I have both. 10mm in a 1911 is A LOT of fun!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#31]
" />

best millimeter
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I love the .45ACP cartridge. That being said... 10mm wins!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought 200 rounds of 10mm for $82

Can I go shopping with you?

As long as I get on free "get out of jail" card and we hold hands

For cheap 10mm, I'll hold his hand.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#34]
" />

i mean,whats not to like?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#35]
9mm, for faster follow up shots and more rounds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
hahano.gif

ETA:

All the gelatin upset shows us is that the squishy bits inside get moved around. It's not significant at handgun velocities.

USBP did a study years ago testing the pressure of the temporary expansion cavity. It's never been published online to my knowledge, but from what I hear the data they gleaned from it wasn't too remarkable.

Marshall & Sanow's "research" on the temporary expansion cavity has been thoroughly debunked.

The Dallas Crime Lab did have a technique for examining the temporary expansion cavity when recommending duty load, but it was ultimately based on looking for controlled expansion to ensure adequate penetration - the same goal sought in the FBI standards.

Pistol bullets are hole punchers. As long as the have the energy and bullet construct to reach vitals, they can work - making more noise doesn't buy much of anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoopie-fucking-doo!

hahano.gif

ETA:

Do you even youtube ballistic test, bro?

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Most people agree that .45acp for personal and 10mm for animals. Either one is good if you ask me. The .45acp suppresses better. I got into 45 Super and it's a powerful round, it's like 10mm power in the larger .45acp bullet, it's pretty cool. So now my 1911 can shoot either 45 Super or regular .45acp no problem after I made some mods to my 1911. I generally carry 45acp for self defense and 45 Super for the woods. But at the end of day all these calibers are more powerful than 9mm and will get the job done.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Where can I find out more about 45 Super and whether my guns - Dan Wesson Pointman, Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match - can be set up for it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Where can I find out more about 45 Super and whether my guns - Dan Wesson Pointman, Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match - can be set up for it?
View Quote
Apples to Apples, Underwood(a fine ammo manufacturer) is showing similar ballistic data for .45 super and 10mm.  For the .45 super you have to add the expense of modifying your .45 acp.  That is your choice.  I bought a Glock 20.  I was done.  I got a whole new gun and kept my .45's in original condition.  I am good with this.  

Different strokes for different folks, though.  I like both cartridges.  I ccw .45acp.  There is always a 10mm in my truck when I am in it though.  

*actually the 200gr offerings show .45 super at 1100fps and 10mm at 1250fps.  Underwood makes FULL POWER ammo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Apples to Apples, Underwood(a fine ammo manufacturer) is showing similar ballistic data for .45 super and 10mm.  For the .45 super you have to add the expense of modifying your .45 acp.  That is your choice.  I bought a Glock 20.  I was done.  I got a whole new gun and kept my .45's in original condition.  I am good with this.    

Different strokes for different folks, though.  I like both cartridges.  I ccw .45acp.  There is always a 10mm in my truck when I am in it though.  

*actually the 200gr offerings show .45 super at 1100fps and 10mm at 1250fps.  Underwood makes FULL POWER ammo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You could get a USP that can fire .45 ACP and .45 Super and never have an issue of "modifying" or having separate pistols.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Strictly rhetorical....

45acp has killed mountains of people that needed killing...

When I carry full size,  its a g20. Never under gunned, lots of great ability.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Strictly rhetorical....

45acp has killed mountains of people that needed killing...

When I carry full size,  its a g20. Never under gunned, lots of great ability.
View Quote

10mm compared to .45 Super.

CAV: We are just like the Infantry!

Just Teasing,  CAV VET

Happy Veteran's Day (weekend)!

Stay safe.

Former 11 Series.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
  You could get a USP that can fire .45 ACP and .45 Super and never have an issue of "modifying" or having separate pistols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a USP.  And the internet assures me if I don't modify the frame to hold up to the strain .45 super will wear out my USP?

*oh yea the spring too.

And the USP

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And the internet assures me if I don't modify the frame to hold up to the strain .45 super will wear out my USP?

All USPs are basically smaller Mk23, and they tested the fuck out it with .45 +p and over 6,000 proof rounds. No damage whatsoever.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
  http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/51/511a45fedabe8ffa988f23fc19b652a21ff88ef8872f31a3a507361a98cf80f9.jpg
All USPs are basically smaller Mk23, and they tested the fuck out it with .45 +p and over 6,000 proof rounds. No damage whatsoever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the internet assures me if I don't modify the frame to hold up to the strain .45 super will wear out my USP?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/51/511a45fedabe8ffa988f23fc19b652a21ff88ef8872f31a3a507361a98cf80f9.jpg

Please see photo above your post.

Got my information from the HK forum from the Mods there.

* I would also state, I wouldn't expect any type of kaboom, or anything like that.  I do believe it overall it is a lot of stress on a pistol and may very well shorten the life.  

The USP is quite awesome though.  Just sayin...

**either way, 10mm still the best mm.  I love .45 too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to fire 45 supers out a my 45 uusp.it was a " BLAST" NO issues
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.44 mag was my carry but after the first shot accuracy got worse and then switched to 10 and finally to 45
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Carried .45 ACP in RVN but had a Glock 20 been available back then would have been my first choice.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do G20's stand up to heavy loads? This thread interests me as
I might pick one up if it can handle the heavy stuff.
View Quote

Go to Underwood Ammo
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Question for the Hive:

My nephew in law is for all intents and purposes, my son.  I took him in when his mother and step father became abusive and intolerable.  He stayed with us for several years, but when all was going well, he knocked up his girlfriend.  He pushed through it, graduated high school, and eventually went on to college.  He's about to graduate, top 10% of his class, and is going into the Army as a 2nd LT.  He doesn't know whether he'll be active or reserve.  I'll be attending his graduation next month.  

I really want to get him a nice graduation gift, but don't have the funds to get something REALLY nice.  He grew up liking the 1911, as that is mostly what I used.  Yesterday, he asked me about a 38 super 1911 for $1300 that he saw in a gun shop and I told him to walk away.  Today, I was looking at guns while shopping for sling loops.  I came across a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm for $410. It could use a better rear sight, and I have an STI adjustable in my box-o-stuff.  It's 9+1.  Everything about it is pretty simple.  No frills, but could be pretty fun long term project.

What do yall' think?  Good idea?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top