Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what .30 Carbine could do with a heavy hard cast
View Quote
You can get 125gr hardcast lead loads from Buffalo Bore @ 2100fps out of a rifle, almost 1700fps out of a revolver....very similar to a .357 Mag, except the .357 gives you the option of much heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:16:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can get 125gr hardcast lead loads from Buffalo Bore @ 2100fps out of a rifle, almost 1700fps out of a revolver....very similar to a .357 Mag, except the .357 gives you the option of much heavier bullets.
View Quote

Yeah why can't we get 160-180 gr bullets? You can load .30 to higher pressures than .357
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah why can't we get 160-180 gr bullets?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah why can't we get 160-180 gr bullets?
Twist rate becomes an issue, most of the Carbines are 1:20, would be difficult to stabilize the longer/heavier bullets (as a comparison, most .30-30's are 1:12 or faster).  Of course, you could always build a fast twist carbine and have a mould made for 160-180gr bullets, but velocity would be significantly lower than comparable weights in a .357 Mag.

You can load .30 to higher pressures than .357
Not really, and not by much.  .30 Carbine is limited to around 40k, .357 Mag is around 35k PSI.  Biggest factor is the .357 Mag is not only larger in diameter, but also holds more powder (21.0gr vs 26.0gr water capacity).
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah why can't we get 160-180 gr bullets? You can load .30 to higher pressures than .357
View Quote

Not sure you would have enough barrel twist to stabilize a longer heavier slower pill in a standard 30-carbine barrel.  Probably require a custom barrel with faster twist.  You would have to develop your own load data (pressure trace would help) and then you might need to re-tune the gas system since it was setup for different load.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not sure you would have enough barrel twist to stabilize a longer heavier slower pill in a standard 30-carbine barrel.  Probably require a custom barrel with faster twist.  You would have to develop your own load data (pressure trace would help) and then you might need to re-tune the gas system since it was setup for different load.
View Quote

Since this thread is about why the cartridge didn't become more popular, I didn't mean to imply that it'd have to be in an M1 carbine.

Then again, I guess the fact it didn't catch on that well outside of that rifle is probably why people haven't done a lot of load development on it
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How does a .22 caliber cartridge loaded with light for caliber bullets pack "better punch" than the .30 Carbine???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've fired a M-2 a couple times (knew a guy who had one years ago) and your right, on full auto their a pain to control.

As much as I love the Carbine the round has been replaced by more modern designs. The round itself was based on the 32. Winchester rimmed round used in the Model 1905. The P90's 5.7x28 is a excellent example, more modern round packing better punch for its size. The problem with the 5.7 is until Ruger brought out their pistols using that caliber the only games in town were the P90 or pistols offered by FN chambering that round.

Civilians can't use the range of ammo most effective for the caliber since their considered armor piercing IIRR

How does a .22 caliber cartridge loaded with light for caliber bullets pack "better punch" than the .30 Carbine???

I would argue it might be but it is circumstantial.

The only ammo for a 5.7 I would call good is $2/rd normally with a 4 month backlog, but is all sold out from the manufacturer right now and will run you $5/rd off gunbroker. The "cheap" plinking ammo for it will run you $1/rd currently as well if you can find a good deal on it but probably more like $1.50 shipped.

Why is the good stuff so expensive? Because the 5.7 has almost no case capacity so the people loading up those rounds are basically filling the case as full as they can with powder and custom making fancy bullets to get good performance coupled with low demand for a niche round.

A .30 carbine with basic surplus ammo will go through a some IIIA from a rifle or pistol length barrel but it isn't a guarantee like 5.7 is and a .30 carbine soft point is devestating and definitely not a bad option for self defense. Surplus is running around $.65/rd right now and good soft points are around $1. It's a lot easier to afford to shoot the .30 carbine and that holds true in non panicky times as well.

Nobody ever really did anything like has been done with a 5.7 for the .30 carbine, but I guarantee if someone wanted to they could put the same effort into designing a custom .30 carbine load/bullet and get better or equal results from a pistol or rifle as the 5.7. That goes for most things though, most ammunition is designed to be in an optimal curve of cheap and effective and if you wanted to throw that to the wind you can make, for example, 9mm rounds that penetrate IIIA that don't legally count as AP, it's just mostly there isn't enough demand like there has been with 5.7 for anyone to actually go put the effort into it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For being as bad as you say it was pretty damn popular w/ the troops.
View Quote

I bet it was.  You could carry around a 9.5lb Garand or a 5.5lb Carbine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For being as bad as you say it was pretty damn popular w/ the troops.
View Quote

Light weight/high accuracy/ease of use made it popular,

But the question in the OP was why did it die on the vine even though it was popular?  

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Light weight/high accuracy/ease of use made it popular,

But the question in the OP was why did it die on the vine even though it was popular?  

View Quote

Because it was never really converted over for a hunting round. Guns brought back from the wars were mainly for hunting. Target shooting or just general plinking was a rich man's game until  recently. I don't think I saw my first carbine ammo loaded with hunting bullets until the mid 70's. Cheap milsurp ball was pretty much it until then.

Handloaders had half jacketed 110gr roundnose plinkers but they acted just like ball. Speer if I remember right, came out with a 110gr spirepoint later.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because it was never really converted over for a hunting round. Guns brought back from the wars were mainly for hunting. Target shooting or just general plinking was a rich man's game until  recently. I don't think I saw my first carbine ammo loaded with hunting bullets until the mid 70's. Cheap milsurp ball was pretty much it until then.

Handloaders had half jacketed 110gr roundnose plinkers but they acted just like ball. Speer if I remember right, came out with a 110gr spirepoint later.
View Quote

It doesn't really work for hunting.  Lots of people shot for fun. After the war guns and and ammo were plentiful and cheap. The carbine is a fine fun guns to shoot, but there wasn't much profit in ammo for then as surplus was available.  Until just recently, your choices the same as they were forty years ago.  Three or four flavors of ball a couple of soft points and a hollow point any of which could be out of stock for to a year.

Given a load with a modern expanding bullet, a realible Carbine with good mags is a handy do defensive weapon.

Unfortunately a good Carbine is priced like a decent AR and you have to try to dig up working mags.  An 8.5 or 9" Blackout with supers offers similar ballistic potential in a smaller package that is just as light with a variety of effective ammo that was on the shelf until recently.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
is probably why people haven't done a lot of load development on it
View Quote
There's tons of load data/load development out there, with anything from jacketed to cast bullets...just nothing really above 125gr.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Load a 180 grn bullet in a Carbine case to magazine OAL, you're giving up measurable case capacity.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#14]
30 carbine has the energy of 44 Magnum (excluding hot +P+ loads)

imagine, 30 rounds that are equivalent to 44 Mag energy-wise with more accuracy and less recoil than 44 Magnum

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#15]
30 carbine is really easy to hand load, I use the same powder (296), primers, and bullets as 300 blk. 110gr Sierra Varminter HPs are cheap, accurate, and feed perfectly in my NPM carbine. 14gr Win 296- 1860 FPS
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

One of the commercial manufacturers back in the '60's, either Plainfield or Universal, adapted barrels from 1903's and/or 1903A3's for use in their Carbine's. These barrels would have a 1 in 10" twist. So, at least in theory, they could stabilize heavier bullets. I suppose one could maybe load 150 or 165 gr. RN bullets in the Carbine, but I'm not sure what advantage they'd hold. I don't imagine a bad guy being hit by a heavier bullet would know or appreciate the difference. Lyman makes a mold (#311410) that casts a 130 gr. bullet that was designed for the .30 Carbine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Universal design should be AVOIDED like the plague. That being said I’ve seen an EARLY Universal that was exactly like a G.I.
View Quote

I have a Universal. What's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

One of the commercial manufacturers back in the '60's, either Plainfield or Universal, adapted barrels from 1903's and/or 1903A3's for use in their Carbine's. These barrels would have a 1 in 10" twist. So, at least in theory, they could stabilize heavier bullets. I suppose one could maybe load 150 or 165 gr. RN bullets in the Carbine, but I'm not sure what advantage they'd hold. I don't imagine a bad guy being hit by a heavier bullet would know or appreciate the difference. Lyman makes a mold (#311410) that casts a 130 gr. bullet that was designed for the .30 Carbine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Off the top of my head I think it was National Ordnance that used 1903 barrels. Both Plainfield and Universal had barrels made for their Carbines
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But, as you are no doubt aware, we still abided by it.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Off the top of my head I think it was National Ordnance that used 1903 barrels. Both Plainfield and Universal had barrels made for their Carbines
View Quote

Yup. I stand corrected, it was indeed National Ordnance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was someone asking about Unimak tactical rails for Carbine's awhile back, he had one and I remembered it
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Universal design should be AVOIDED like the plague. That being said I’ve seen an EARLY Universal that was exactly like a G.I.

Depends on early or late.  Early one's used as many GI parts as they could get, IIRC, and the later ones used newer manufactured parts.  Can you see the right locking lug through the slide handle?  Then you have a later one, and they are prone to breakage there, and good luck getting another.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned, "Gen 3" Universals used a different design than the USGI Carbine design, and parts are very hard to find.

Here's a link that'll help if you want more info

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As mentioned, "Gen 3" Universals used a different design than the USGI Carbine design, and parts are very hard to find.

View Quote

Interesting reading Mr. Flynn. He does a good job addressing the purported problems with the Universal Carbines.

Many owners of the carbines manufactured by Universal Firearms have enjoyed them for many years without encountering any problems. As with any other firearm, every part thereon and therein has a lifespan. All semi-automatic centerfire rifles share a number of common safety features that should be inspected periodically and when buying a used one. With a used gun, it's not the name on the firearm that matters as much as having a competent mechanic check under the hood before we drive it.

All of this should be kept in mind if and when you may encounter negative comments regarding the carbines manufactured by Universal Firearms. Investigations conducted by this author have found the majority of complaints were either not from first hand experience, did not include examination by a knowledgeable person to determine exactly why something went wrong (think semi-auto rifle gas systems, headspace, poor quality or worn out magazines), or one complaint was posted on an internet discussion forum and quoted on a dozen others making it sound like more than one. The issues discovered with a Universal Carbine or Universal M1 Carbine have been consistent with all commercially manufactured carbines, regardless of who made them. Refer to the Safety issues page on this website. Remember, a used semi-auto rifle requires more maintenance and safety inspections than most other firearms. Also keep in mind that if the carbines manufactured by Universal Firearms were as bad as the rumors, how did they manage to stay in business so long and make so many carbines?

Mine is an 87,000 serial number which was supposedly prior to the big changes. Mine appears mostly military except that the trigger housing is aluminum, and although the parts therein appear to be military, the housing is shaped differently than its military counterpart.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's b/c before surplus parts ran out, Universals had GI dimensions and GI parts would interchange.

When surplus parts ran out, they changed the deisign to be easier to manufacture, so most parts don't interchange.  Later models should be avoided now on the grounds there are no new parts, but even if a Universal slide breaks it can be welded back together.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Interesting reading Mr. Flynn. He does a good job addressing the purported problems with the Universal Carbines.

Mine is an 87,000 serial number which was supposedly prior to the big changes. Mine appears mostly military except that the trigger housing is aluminum, and although the parts therein appear to be military, the housing is shaped differently than its military counterpart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yours's would be a "late'' Gen 1 or 1.5 then. Both Plainfield and Iver Johnson did the same thing on their trigger groups, used wider designs as the supply of USGI trigger groups dried up. My 1966 Plainfield is one of the last to use a GI group (IBM).

If yours runs the old saying is if it works don't mess with it. If you did have a issue with the Universal trigger group you could always replace it with a USGI trigger group. You'd need a new stock but those are out there. I've been using these on my USGI Inlands to replace post war birch stocks

Boyd's M-1 Carbine Stock  

The one on the far left is 1 I did a few weeks ago. I'm doing another when it gets here for USGI Inland in the middle, then moving that to the Plainfield on the right. It'll give me a extra stock but I might end up with another USGI Carbine if the feds give us more money, either that or use it on the Carbine with the red dot on it if I get tired of that setup
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd be interested to hear others experiences with this, but another reason for the lack of popularity was the cost of ammo. I remember in the 90s and early 2000s a brick was some of the most expensive ammo on the shelf. Maybe you could get some surplus somewhere cheap, but it wasn't readily available like today. Maybe pre 90s it was cheaper, can't remember, but the sticker shock I remember from those days is still there. Pretty much if you relied on store bought back then it was an expensive gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Actually, the FN-P90S platform would be an exceptional candidate to build a roller delayed 110% upsized varient of in 30-carbine chambering.

P90S being semi-auto only with a 16" barrel for civilian sales just isn't really worth all that much in it's original 5.7x28 chambering especially with civilian non-AP ammo.  As a PDW you really need full-auto with 5.7x28 to have sufficient stopping power when "up close and personal" and at extended range beyond 100-yards without AP hard solid core ammo barrier penetration is so week that a clump of brush is potentially cover not just concealment for your attacker(s).

On the other hand the same platform in 30-carbine makes a huge amount of sense.  The magazine has always been the weak point of the 30-carbine the P90 style magazine solves all that and provides greater standard capacity and locates the magazine more efficiently on the firearm.

Most people will claim that the 30-carbine lacks sufficient stopping power but up close and personal especially with modern projectile technology it is miles ahead of the 5.7x28 and a substantial improvement in stopping power when you are limited to semi-auto only where you don't need as low of recoil cartridge to effectively control full auto fire.

Then at range the 30-carbine with civilian FMJ ball loads has superior barrier penetration compare to civilian FMJ 5.7x28 loads.

Last of all 30-carbine actually does something useful with a 16" barrel and has a very low flash signature.  Yah, you can tax stamped SBR either one and get back to an original PDW barrel length, but even then I bet the 30-carbine looses less velocity and ballistic effect on target then 5.7x28 and does it still with a lower flash signature.

Go check out the cartridge dimensions and specs. of the two cartridges.  It could be done with only a very small scale up factor.  You would need to use a roller delayed action rather then simple blowback due to the significant increase in the bolt thrust.

I think it would make an excellent old-meets-new hybrid.
View Quote

.30 carbine with modern projectiles is ballistically just about identical to quite a few mild .300 blackout loads.  I'd rather have an AKM, but an M1 carbine is a decent weapon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd be interested to hear others experiences with this, but another reason for the lack of popularity was the cost of ammo. I remember in the 90s and early 2000s a brick was some of the most expensive ammo on the shelf. Maybe you could get some surplus somewhere cheap, but it wasn't readily available like today. Maybe pre 90s it was cheaper, can't remember, but the sticker shock I remember from those days is still there. Pretty much if you relied on store bought back then it was an expensive gun to shoot.
View Quote

Until the current shortage .30 Carbine was on par a 1000 round case with good brass cased 5.56. I was paying around $300 for a case of 1000 for brands like S&B and Armscor. I was even avoiding the recent Korean surplus because new manufacture ammo was cheaper.

When the panic hit I started buying the Korean because it stayed the same price until the week of the election, that's when it jumped $250 a case in price
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Until the current shortage .30 Carbine was on par a 1000 round case with good brass cased 5.56. I was paying around $300 for a case of 1000 for brands like S&B and Armscor. I was even avoiding the recent Korean surplus because new manufacture ammo was cheaper.

When the panic hit I started buying the Korean because it stayed the same price until the week of the election, that's when it jumped $250 a case in price
View Quote

Even when 30 Carbine was on par price wise with  223/5.56, Why would anyone choose the 30 Carbine over 223/5.56?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Even when 30 Carbine was on par price wise with  223/5.56, Why would anyone choose the 30 Carbine over 223/5.56?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the M-1 Carbine is a fun gun to shoot and everyone should own at least 1
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a relatively short range, personal defense weapon, and especially one apt to be fired in the house, I'll take the .30 Carbine all day, any day. Too, .308 caliber bullet starts out with almost 40% greater frontal area than a .224 caliber bullet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
30 carbine has the energy of 44 Magnum (excluding hot +P+ loads)

View Quote

Only if you cherry pick your loads....most of the 200-240gr .44 Mag loads have anywhere from 20-40% more muzzle energy than the carbine.  GI ball .30 Carbine averages around 950 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle, even pedestrian .44 Mag 240s are over 1100 ft-lbs.  Regardless, a 240gr bullet with 1100+ ft-lbs is a whole different animal than a 110gr bullet with 950.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Also On later Universal carbines, MANY of the parts do not interchange with G.I.
View Quote

They are pretty easy to spot by the stamped op-rod. You can see the bolt lug on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:01:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just remembered I have a case of wolf 30 carbine.
View Quote

Me too.

Will those steel cases hurt my almost 80 year old USGI carbine?

Will I need to keep spare extractors on hand?

In a similar vein, I recall shooting some AMERC ammo and the cases were so soft, I found fired cases with cracks in them. I wondered if that would hurt the chamber, but then I thought the chamber was made of the same steel that the throat of the barrel was, and it takes the heat of the ignited powder charge just fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol so no then?

They just tested whether it would go through a coat and not if it actually affected the performance?
View Quote

Went through the frozen clothing, and then 7 (of 8) gallons jugs of water after that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:06:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  Went through the frozen clothing, and then 7 (of 8) gallons jugs of water after that.
View Quote

Well, there's your problem.  Clearly our myopic heroes were shooting dehydrated Chinamen who were wearing bulletproof frozen coats.  Those bullets dindu nuffin after going through that ice!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Who needs vests or plates when you can just buy a Chinese coat; after all bullets just bounce off of them.
View Quote

Don't let the people at the Blackhawk Catalog find that out, or they will start advertising them in their catalog.

The first year, they will be made in China, and the catalog will extol "the authenticity of these recreations of the Korean War ballistic overcoats."

The second year, they will be made in Vietnam, to save labor costs, but without lowering the product price.

The third year, they will be made by kids working in a cave in India, who are being kept there against their will by a shaman who pulls the beating hearts out of employees who do not make the production quota.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Me too.

In a similar vein, I recall shooting some AMERC ammo and the cases were so soft, I found fired cases with cracks in them. I wondered if that would hurt the chamber, but then I thought the chamber was made of the same steel that the throat of the barrel was, and it takes the heat of the ignited powder charge just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

Much (most? all?) .30 carbine ammunition produced during WWII for the troops was steel cased.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That’s why I’ve never fired mine.
View Quote

It's not that bad at all but shoot in an indoor range and everyone stops and looks lol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Our family knew an old miner/trapper/mink farmer who had a bear problem at one point. He had told Fish and Game about the monster grizzly harassing his place and they ignored him. Well one day it tried to climb into the cab of his 6x Dodge swamp buggy he used to get back to the mine and he emptied the magazine of his M1 carbine into it. Then he hauled the 1800lb bear to Glenallen and dumped it on Fish and Games porch. I met Simon twice, in 68 and 71 as my dad and uncle would always stop as his place for a cup of coffee.
View Quote

That one guy had more testosterone than an entire platoon of AntiFa.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. When Universal started making them, there were plenty of USGI surplus spare parts to be bought cheap and put into the their rifles. The early productions runs did not deviate from the USGI design. That is why those Universal rifles are a good source for USGI parts.

Towards the end, the surplus parts were drying up, and the inflation of the 1973-1975 recession made things very expensive. To keep the price from going up, they looked for ways to make something that looked like an M-1 carbine for people who did know better or didn't care.

The big clue that you are looking at one of those later guns is that there is a hole in the charging handle that holds the bolt lug, as well as a toggle that must be manipulated to hold the bolt open.

Some people have had good luck with their late production Universals. It was an affordable shooter/plinker in the years when gas went from 25 cents a gallon to 98 cents a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep. When Universal started making them, there were plenty of USGI surplus spare parts to be bought cheap and put into the their rifles. The early productions runs did not deviate from the USGI design. That is why those Universal rifles are a good source for USGI parts.

Towards the end, the surplus parts were drying up, and the inflation of the 1973-1975 recession made things very expensive. To keep the price from going up, they looked for ways to make something that looked like an M-1 carbine for people who did know better or didn't care.

The big clue that you are looking at one of those later guns is that there is a hole in the charging handle that holds the bolt lug, as well as a toggle that must be manipulated to hold the bolt open.

Some people have had good luck with their late production Universals. It was an affordable shooter/plinker in the years when gas went from 25 cents a gallon to 98 cents a gallon.
View Quote

Yep. The main issue with those late Universals is that non-standard op slide. They will break eventually - it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. The good news is that there's a company making replacement ones now, and they're almost certainly better quality than the originals.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:36:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Much (most? all?) .30 carbine ammunition produced during WWII for the troops was steel cased.
View Quote

Hmmmm.  I did not know that.

I'd like to know more. Can you point me in the right direction.

I did find a box of steel cased USGI dummy rounds on Aberdeen Proving Grounds once.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Chinese frozen coat myth was debunked.

The Box O' Truth guy fired rounds into layers of cloth immersed in water and frozen.  The rounds still got through multiple layers.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-36-frozen-clothing-and-the-box-o-truth/

The Box O' Truth #36 - Frozen Clothing And The Box O ...
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-36...
Jun 13, 2014 · The Korean War with the m1 carbine is a load of hooey. My granddad carried a m1 carbine for 3 years during WW2 and for 1 year in Korea. In WW2 he was a radioman with the ” Big Red One” and told be before his death, he put quite a few Nazis in the ground with no problem, and during Korea the same thing as long as the range was 300 yards or less and you had to hit the target before it hit you.
View Quote

“The box o truth guy”. LOL fucking 2013 was the worst year on arfcom I swear. His name is Ol Painless and he started his experiments here, for our benefit. Good ol OP and T-man.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Me too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

I was going to buy some Wolf and test it in one of my Carbines I had worked over by Fulton that I had a new bolt installed. I found Armscor at $11.99 a box right before the current panic and bought 5000 rounds of it instead.

You should be ok. I would inspect the extractor after each range session. Extractors you can still find, you just need 3 hands or a bolt tool to change them out. I replaced the one on my Plainfield over the summer just to play it safe and went from 1 FTE every 100 rounds or so to none the last 300-400 rounds

I used this parts kit Fulton Armory has

https://www.fulton-armory.com/spare-parts-kit-m1-carbine.aspx

I keep and 2nd on hand given the number of Carbines I own and the amount I shoot 2-3 of them....just in case. As I've mentioned in this thread, new springs help 75 year old Carbines ALOT with reliability IMO
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top