Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would anyone 70 or older need 100K in savings, like you can't get buried with it ?
View Quote

Maybe because it is not uncommon to live past 75?

Or, why does anyone "need" 100k?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
71 year old boomer. I $aved. Living the good life. Boohoo to the the non savers young and old.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
52k in equity. Boomers still have mortgages
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those numbers look suspect. $52k in real estate. How is that possible for a boomer?

Plus the lifelong renters, the folks who sold the forever home to move into senior retirement centers and end of life assistant living centers.  Then just the plain old dumb ones who smoked and drank their money away for 50 years.  They bring the average down for the smart ones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why would anyone 70 or older need 100K in savings, like you can't get buried with it ?

View Quote

Username is strangely accurate
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those numbers look suspect. $52k in real estate. How is that possible for a boomer?
View Quote

That’s how averages work.  Half of the population is living on uncle sugars tit. 0 income, 0 savings and 0 net worth.  The other half are between the ages of 57 and 77 or so. Throw it all in a hopper and make the rest up to fit your narrative.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
SIL is living on about 1200//month SS, pays her mother 400/month for a small home. She inherits her mother’s home when she dies, but won’t be able to pay the property taxes on it. No savings.

The small home she lives in will go to her brother, for whom it is questionable as to whether or not he will get SS as he didn’t pay income taxes for 35 years- all cash jobs. He, too, has no savings except for a few thousand rounds of ammo.

Meanwhile their mother makes 50k/yr from pensions, an annuity and survivor benefits. Owns her land free and clear. Has long term care insurance to pay for help. Her husband was quite responsible financially, too.

Some things aren’t genetic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
It is not their fault for having no or little savings. They were manipulated by banks with easy money, by big business with their manipulative marketing campaigns that made these people think that they could have it all. Remember it is always someone else's fault for your actions just like it was President Trumps fault for what happened at the Capitol. Like Big business he manipulated and incited these people to commit those crimes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Who cares.

They got to live life. Most people past 60 spend the bulk of their savings, if any, on healthcare. They can’t do shit, can’t walk, can’t breath, and on ten different meds.

People that work their entire life in hopes of enjoying it at the end are the real fools.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s how averages work.  Half of the population is living on uncle sugars tit. 0 income, 0 savings and 0 net worth.  The other half are between the ages of 57 and 77 or so. Throw it all in a hopper and make the rest up to fit your narrative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

100K is nothing now days. Especially to retire on. You’d have maybe 3-4 years before it ran out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's depressing.
Everyone's been screwed over by our government and a few multinational conglomerates.

Even though I authored a 10+ page thread on how bad millennials have it, this is an unhealthy attitude. We shouldn't root for our parents' failure.
And remember the same things that came for their retirement are coming f
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's depressing.
Everyone's been screwed over by our government and a few multinational conglomerates.

Quoted:
But they ate out a lot.  Drove nice cars.  Had boats. Consumerism drove their spending habits with little regard for tomorrow or a rainy day.  

Now, it's sad, but I fail to see how this is my problem.

Even though I authored a 10+ page thread on how bad millennials have it, this is an unhealthy attitude. We shouldn't root for our parents' failure.
And remember the same things that came for their retirement are coming f
Are you FUCKING serious? How did the government make people not save for emergencies and for their future?? My son (18) just starting working last year while GOING to school and he has more than 10k invested so far.. with no help! ($12/hour job)... The real answer is the media/education/parents making expectant fucking soy boy/girl retards!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone who did save will be taxed heavily in short order.

It's going to be this or some draconian firearm law that must become the line.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My boomer dad left my mom with a equity line of credit that he rolled into a 30 year mortgage about 1/3 the value of the house. He also took out another line of credit and would have maxed that out too if he hadn't died
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
If that's all you have @ 70 then you are FUCKED....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where did all the savings go?

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/032216/are-we-baby-boomer-retirement-crisis.asp

Research by the Insured Retirement Institute (IRI) also suggests trouble for many retiring Boomers. IRI found that 45% have no retirement savings. Out of the 55% who do, 28% have less than $100,000. This suggests that approximately half of retirees are, or will be, living off of their social security benefits.

Median boomer net worth is $150k

https://i.imgur.com/Pto2FNh.png

View Quote

TIL that  my net worth is 3x higher than the median boomer and... I'm a millenial.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Some boomers got schwacked in 2008 and never recovered. Same goes for the previous generation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to clarify, talking about the boomer population here, but the making things up for a story spans all generations.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

AOC will line them um, shoot them, and pay off young kids student loans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel like this will be my burden to bear, shortly.

My kids don't have any college loans, between scholarships and Mom and Dad's saving in Florida's prepaid tuition program they are debt-free.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
$40k in “pension funds”?

So does that mean TOTAL, or just the employee-contributed portion of defined benefits plans? Potentially huge difference there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]
My mother is 66. She has 100s of thousands in debt.  Does this count?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If that's all you have @ 70 then you are FUCKED....
View Quote
Everyone gets fucked when their friends at AARP buy politicians who then proceed to foist the costs of boomer financial irresponsibility onto everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some boomers got schwacked in 2008 and never recovered. Same goes for the previous generation.
View Quote

They only got schwacked if they pulled their money out like an idiot and missed the recovery period.

And yet thousands of boomers are driving all over the country in RVs slowly going broke "living the good life".
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only if they made poor choices. But many probably did. Panic and sold and never got it back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do boomers have pensions? May explain some of the missing account values.

View Quote

I have a little one from the company that I worked for for the first 17 years and my wife has a pretty good one from her employer of 41 years. But we also have well in excess of a million dollars, our house paid for , our motor home paid for, and our truck paid for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Soon, it won't matter how much you have saved up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Plus the lifelong renters, the folks who sold the forever home to move into senior retirement centers and end of life assistant living centers.  Then just the plain old dumb ones who smoked and drank their money away for 50 years.  They bring the average down for the smart ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My parents fall into this category. Neither own a home and probably have a net worth of less than 10k.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Boomers and millennials are always fighting each other because they are two sides of the same fiscally irresponsible shit stick. Meanwhile Gen Xers get to continue to pay the way with higher and higher taxes to cover the growing gap.
View Quote

"...here I am, stuck in the middle with you!"
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Certainly gives an interesting perspective on all those Arfcom threads with guys claiming they'll have $5 million - $10 million at retirement.

Either Arfcommers are WAY above average financially or are WAY more full of shit than average.

I know where my vote goes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel like all the boomers with no savings are the ones who keep saying "oh no the government will take it away from you anyway".

As if it justifies the lack of savings.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Huh, guess I m doing pretty good ????
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are you FUCKING serious? How did the government make people not save for emergencies and for their future?? My son (18) just starting working last year while GOING to school and he has more than 10k invested so far.. with no help! ($12/hour job)... The real answer is the media/education/parents making expectant fucking soy boy/girl retards!
View Quote

Inflating the currency, doing their very best to try to tax people into poverty, destroying the economy through regulations, H1B visas, whatever hand they had in the collapse of manufacturing in this nation.  

I’m sure I’m missing some.  

Some people do better than others.  I’ve been fortunate, but to think the government does not fuck people is foolish.  

2 years of my fed, state, and local taxes would just about pay off my mortgage.  If that isn’t confiscatory then I don’t know what would be.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bet they have a $1500 smartphone and $150 cellular plan though.
Edit. I'm obviously joking, they spent their money on beanie babies and longaberger baskets.
View Quote

Most of my fellow Boomers that I know hardly use a cell phone.  They may have one but they only use it to talk to the kids and grandkids and for emergencies.  They don't use for all the highfalutin stuff that the youngins use it for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Who cares.

They got to live life. Most people past 60 spend the bulk of their savings, if any, on healthcare. They can’t do shit, can’t walk, can’t breath, and on ten different meds.

People that work their entire life in hopes of enjoying it at the end are the real fools.
View Quote

Going to be real fun when Medicare goes kaboom.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sniff sniff

Does anyone smell Universal Basic Income? It smells like someone just put some UBI in the oven
View Quote

It's funny how maximum Social Security is about the same as $15 an hour.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My kids don't have any college loans, between scholarships and Mom and Dad's saving in Florida's prepaid tuition program they are debt-free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn’t negate the push for the Dems to forgive people’s loans. Any of us who paid our way through, already paid off loans, or had family help get the shaft.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Steady income, like pensions is lost to some.
View Quote
Imagine having faith in the sustainability of underfunded pension funds in 2021.

Meanwhile in places like Illinois, they're more concerned about the diversity of the pension managers than they are about the actual sustainability of the pension funds.

https://www.commercial-news.com/news/illinois-investment-funds-pressed-on-management-diversity/article_8788534e-3667-11eb-aa59-2f1fc210cda2.html

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too.  I'm close to retirement (funded mainly by me).  I'm betting I'll see outrageous taxes to make up for the poors lack of planning.

Wait till you younger people (and probably me too) have to pay for the rice rabies bailout.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I see the people here.
Living on SS after a lifetime of saving nothing, and wasting $$$ on bar sign ins and Packer gear.
After 40 years of stamping out the same widget on the same machine. They were everything they were ever going to be by age 35. After that, life was a routine to be tolerated.

They live to go out for that Friday Night Fish Fry and 2 old fashioneds each once or maybe twice a month,  with a $2 tip built in.

They sit there with lap blankets,  praying their property tax on their never updated 1960's home doesn't go up.

Its scary sad. And makes me glad I always paid into my future first, no matter how little I had.

I know many who never saved a dime. I never want to live like that.
Sitting around waiting to die.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Only if they made poor choices. But many probably did. Panic and sold and never got it back.
View Quote

Exactly, a lot of people became too scared to get back into the market. And they missed the recovery in their 401k's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#45]
The ones that voted for Biden, I imagine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Imagine screwing up a 40 year run that saw the Dow Jones go from 800 to 30,000.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#47]
1. They spend like money is water.

2. Their time was stolen with the amount of money printing and inflation that's occurred since the time they started working for a couple bucks an hour all those years ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]
1/2 of the population is dumber than the rest so these types of reports are usually nonsense. Also, these stats are generally garbage because they come from firms measuring the size of 401k and ages but fail to realize people have multiple 401ks, accounts, etc.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/average-net-worth-by-age/

https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-calculator-united-states/

I’m in the high 80 percentile with a realistic plan to be in the 90s percentile in 5 years.

The worst decision a man can make is getting married. You risk your life’s work to someone who benefits from breaking the contract.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Boomers and millennials are always fighting each other because they are two sides of the same fiscally irresponsible shit stick. Meanwhile Gen Xers get to continue to pay the way with higher and higher taxes to cover the growing gap.
View Quote

How many Baby Boomers with no savings can you fit inside a gas chamber?  Asking for a friend . . .
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Exactly, a lot of people became too scared to get back into the market. And they missed the recovery in their 401k's.
View Quote
Even the boomers with 401k's are not out of the water yet. What's going to happen to 401k values as waves of boomers retire and it is time for the required minimum distributions, but younger generations aren't buying in enough to offset? Oh, this is also taking place during a period where the stock market is at all time record high valuations.

Yeah, the Fed is probably going to keep propping the market up, probably even buying more equities, but at what cost?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top