Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FIFY
View Quote

Not really. Few guys are using X39 there. More 5.56 than anything else. 5.45 next.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I opened a ammo can full of the blue box Russian hunting ammo I bought in 1996.

I got cans of 7.62x39 that is older than some of my kids, and I have grandkids. I got AKs that haven't been fired in decades.

50 cent for AK ammo is pretty nuts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This will happen.
I already have a ridiculous amount of x39 and will be buying heavily again when the conflict pricing eases back off.
Those facilities running 3 shifts to supply war needs will continue to produce for any hungry market.
View Quote

Yep. Got a ton myself when it was cheap, I could sell plenty and still have plenty but i'd rather shoot it. $200 cases will be a thing again and i'll stock up even more than before.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That comes across to me as the gun equivalent of pumping gasoline in to your boat’s rod holders. I guess if that’s the kind of thing you’re prone to doing, you might want to stick to 3rd world conscript guns
View Quote

You only have to do it once.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Always wanted a CZ 527 in 7.62X39... Last one I saw back about 1 1/2 years ago was $899.00.  It was new but looked used. Nice wood with nice dings in it. Yeah sure buddy new. OK  

Now With the price of 7.62 hell naw!!  

Now a Micro Bolt Action in 9mm would sell A LOT BETTER!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm sure that won't last long.  
View Quote

Download the file and print one. When it wears out print another one. etc
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I got into the game around 2003.
The guys I was with told me to hold out on $125/150 cases  because it was going to come back down.
Me dabbling in scrap copper and brass smiled and said thanks.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I have more centerfire rifles in 7.62x39 than any other chambering, and I have more 7.62x39 ammo than any other cartridge except for .22lr or perhaps 9mm.  

I enjoy shooting the boutique round.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Use Chinese surplus X39 ammo, it's as good as anything else and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Instead of buying more 7.62x39 when it was more affordable, I went out and bought a Ranch 7.62x39 so I burn through my stash slower

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Use Chinese surplus X39 ammo, it's as good as anything else and inexpensive.
View Quote
Start running some over the border and we will.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Try to find Brown Bear 7.62x39
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#13]
its about the same as any other rifle ammo,  lately.  but the better stuff it a little pricey besides AAC which can be spotty to get at the moment.  

besides .22lr and 17hmr what else is kinda cheap?

$9-10 bucks for 556 or 762 is the cheapest of any rifle ammo that I know of.  it is yesteryears prices nope,  but we are never gonna have those again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I have about 800 rounds of the steel core I bought back in early 1990s. Is that worth more or less than current manufacture?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess i just thought everyone had cans full of that stuff. Sorry OP. When ukraine ends you can stock up again
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Its funny that this came up as I have been thinking of selling off my two AK pattern guns because the ammo has gone up considerably and I dont really love them if you know what I mean. I only bought them because the ammo was cheap.

I prefer the AR for a bunch of reasons - first off its America's gun. The AR is a better gun in terms of modularity, optics, ergonomics, building, etc... You are not building an AK without a press of some sort.

Certain people would have you believe that the AK is 1000x more reliable than the AR but I dont buy it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#18]
762x39 salad days are over and its bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Uh, Russian sanctions drove cost up since they were the major source of cheap cartridges.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why? OP has an SKS, not an RPD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brass case is available for <45cpr
Link it

Why? OP has an SKS, not an RPD.
Good thing my post was wearing oxygen because it sailed right over your head....as in "post a link to this great deal you referenced"
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Guess what?  The price on any ammo is never substantially going down.  

If you have ComBloc AKs you no longer can/want to feed, now is a good time to move them along.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Kid is a smart one.

People who worship an inferior platform using inferior ammo are weird possibly inferior themselves.
View Quote

Yeah I guess my kid is inferior. He has a FN military AR I bought him, but he went and spent his hard earned money on a PSA blem AK last year.  He bought wood furniture, a side rail mount and a holosun red dot. He is ringing a 30 inch metal gong at 200 yards about 3-4 out of 5 shots with that thing.  At first I discouraged him and to invest his money in more 5.56 ammo or sell the FN and move up to a DD or Colt. Nope he wanted an AK set up like that. He just put on a 74 style muzzle brake on it.  
He is equally proficient with his FN, but has been shooting that AK more.  Maybe it’s cause it was made here in the USA by PSA, but that thing is incredible.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Username checks out
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PSA has it at 50 cents/round - https://palmettostatearmory.com/tula-7-62x39-122gr-fmj-20rd-box-ul76201.html

Definitely nowhere near as cheap as it once was, though
View Quote

Nothing is as inexpensive as it was. Especially after the Diaper Filler in Charge has been on a spending and printing binge.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
762x39 salad days are over and its bullshit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah I guess my kid is inferior. He has a FN military AR I bought him, but he went and spent his hard earned money on a PSA blem AK last year.  He bought wood furniture, a side rail mount and a holosun red dot. He is ringing a 30 inch metal gong at 200 yards about 3-4 out of 5 shots with that thing.  At first I discouraged him and to invest his money in more 5.56 ammo or sell the FN and move up to a DD or Colt. Nope he wanted an AK set up like that. He just put on a 74 style muzzle brake on it.  
He is equally proficient with his FN, but has been shooting that AK more.  Maybe it’s cause it was made here in the USA by PSA, but that thing is incredible.  
View Quote

AKs rock! I ring 12x14" steel at 300 with a Romeo 5 on my siaga 5/5 times. I'd hazard to say my Bulgarian 545 rifles are even more accurate. Even the 8" Krink.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol, you guys have no idea how much we were spoiled all of these years with cheap Russian ammo being cranked out by those huge old Soviet factories. Id say most is actually decent stuff, especially Barnaul made. Even Tula, while being dirty has always gone bang for me. The only issues I ever had was later made Golden Tiger which would have maybe 2-3 dud primers per 1k.

Also 7.62x39 isn't going anywhere and will never be a boutique round. There are untold millions of SKS and AK rifles in the US. PSA is now making it and it is still being produced and imported in large numbers by several Eastern European countries.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

$9-10 bucks for 556 or 762 is the cheapest of any rifle ammo that I know of.  
View Quote

Other than 9mm and 22lr I question how a lot of people are shooting. Shooting has become a rich man's game.

Even reloading isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Other than 9mm and 22lr I question how a lot of people are shooting. Shooting has become a rich man's game.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$9-10 bucks for 556 or 762 is the cheapest of any rifle ammo that I know of.  

IMO, Reloading now is only cost effective if you require high performance or specialty ammo. The globohomos have nearly ruined reloading.

Last I checked, even my boutique .300BLK supers were cheaper to buy from PSA than to buy the components to reload.

There was a time when you could make a more accurace M193 clone load, for half the price of loaded ammo. I just ran the prices, and for me to make an M193 load right now it would cost $.40 to $.42. I just bought two cases for $.45 a round last night. The $.03 cost savings and accuracy improvements aren't worth it for me to reload the range and competition 5.56 anymore.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

IMO, Reloading now is only cost effective if you require high performance or specialty ammo. The globohomos have nearly ruined reloading.

Last I checked, even my boutique .300BLK supers were cheaper to buy from PSA than to buy the components to reload.

There was a time when you could make a more accurace M193 clone load, for half the price of loaded ammo. I just ran the prices, and for me to make an M193 load right now it would cost $.40 to $.42. I just bought two cases for $.45 a round last night. The $.03 cost savings and accuracy improvements aren't worth it for me to reload the range and competition 5.56 anymore.
View Quote

You are correct. It is tough to beat bulk pricing on reloaded 9mm or 5.56 right now.

Reloading shines for anything that isn't x39, 223, 9mm and maybe 40/45 though. My M2 ball loads were coming in at .50ish/round two years ago when I did the math. M2 is running .94/round (not shipped) from SG today. I also enjoy not having to drop $350 in one transaction.

Even 7.62x51 is through the roof. Walmart had 40/$47 boxes of white box Federal M80 this week.

I have an older PA10 that hasn't been shot much, but was set up for bench shooting. With today's ammo prices I kind of wish I bought a bolt action instead.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn't read thread.

PSa has 762x39 wolf steel case for 50cpr. Just saw that today on their website. Too lazy to link.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are correct. It is tough to beat bulk pricing on reloaded 9mm or 5.56 right now.

Reloading shines for anything that isn't x39, 223, 9mm and maybe 40/45 though. My M2 ball loads were coming in at .50ish/round two years ago when I did the math. M2 is running .94/round (not shipped) from SG today. I also enjoy not having to drop $350 in one transaction.

Even 7.62x51 is through the roof. Walmart had 40/$47 boxes of white box Federal M80 this week.

I have an older PA10 that hasn't been shot much, but was set up for bench shooting. With today's ammo prices I kind of wish I bought a bolt action instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've all but stopped reloading for everything I shoot that isn't .300 Win Mag.

My strategy is, in the future when loaded ammo isn't available, or one of the aforementioned "cheap" common calibers spikes in price, I will use my limited on hand powder and primers on that stuff to the best of my ability. Until then, just stack as deep as possible on loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Didn't read thread.

PSa has 762x39 wolf steel case for 50cpr. Just saw that today on their website. Too lazy to link.
View Quote

That's more than bulk brass 5.56 cost. Which is typically more accurate ammo.

Kinda makes AK in America irrelevant. Really all the AK had going for it was cheap guns and ammo. Now all that shit is more expensive than the equivalent AR, which is a better platform.

I won't be interested in buying any AK ammo unless it's at least 10 CPR cheaper than bulk AR ammo. That doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, if ever again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont know that this is an accurate statement.  Since the FN AK barrels came out, and the PTR-32 series, we have seen that some bulk steel cased 7.62x39 is around 1.5moa.  Thats some flavors of wolf branded stuff.  IDK which one PSA has today.  I don't think bulk brass 5.56 is grouping any better than that.  Otherwise they would call it "match grade" and double the price.

Turns out it wasn't the 7.62x39 ammo that was 5-10moa all those years. It was the shitty romian and chinese imports giving the round a bad name.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I dont know that this is an accurate statement.  Since the FN AK barrels came out, and the PTR-32 series, we have seen that some bulk steel cased 7.62x39 is around 1.5moa.  Thats some flavors of wolf branded stuff.  IDK which one PSA has today.  I don't think bulk brass 5.56 is grouping any better than that.  Otherwise they would call it "match grade" and double the price.

Turns out it wasn't the 7.62x39 ammo that was 5-10moa all those years. It was the shitty romian and chinese imports giving the round a bad name.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had not heard that. That's actually great. If we can just get some more of it cheaper.

The steel case wolf I have is like 4MOA or so, out of my newer Zastava.

I had a good batch of PMC that would regularly shoot ~1.5 MOA or so from multiple rifles. It seems most of the PMC M193ish stuff is ~2 MOA or better most of the time from my rifles, when I zero or confirm zero.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I had not heard that. That's actually great. If we can just get some more of it cheaper.

I had a good batch of PMC that would regularly shoot ~1.5 MOA or so from multiple rifles. It seems most of the PMC M193ish stuff is ~2 MOA or better most of the time from my rifles, when I zero or confirm zero.
View Quote

Wolf is not a manufacturer.  They imported a dozen different flavors.  The wolf ammo with the barnaul logo on the box and headstamp is the good shit.  If it says 122gr, or has the tulammo logo, thats the 4+moa fodder.  The good wolf was usually 123gr and 124gr.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wolf is not a manufacturer.  They imported a dozen different flavors.  The wolf ammo with the barnaul logo on the box and headstamp is the good shit.  If it says 122gr, or has the tulammo logo, thats the 4+moa fodder.  The good wolf was usually 123gr and 124gr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is good to know. Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup. This screenshot is from 5/29/19. A lot has changed in 5 years. For all the shit people give Sam about “instigating panic buying” the dude is right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421435/IMG_1591_jpeg-3224186.JPG
View Quote

Unrelated to the topic, but a heads up, the share button on SGAmmo is addtoany, a now defunct web sharing service.  

The share link may or may not work (don't feel like trying it), but it's certainly not secure at this point, and you would be at risk to have your credentials sniped.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top