Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Originally Posted By JustTheTipBaby

1. not a troll account. i know arfcom likes pictures, i will take pics of my springfield armory stainles 1911, my shield, and my lcp. i dont care that much to actually do it but i can if you really think im trolling

2. ive been out of school for over 1 .5 years now. no short bus, COLLEGE.

3.  make your own judgements. i may come off silly or whatever, but i dont care.

lots of people being silly on me. i dont care, im a 20013'er, i dont care. typical arfcom e-penis fights.

So how's that English Literature degree working out for you?  

dont care much about english/grammar/punctuation on the internet. as long as the message is clear then idc. it works.

Username - check
Join date - check
Extravagant bragging - check

All criteria met. You're completely full of shit. Have a nice day

only real trolls try hardest to deny they are trolling. and keep continuing the argument. im going to bow out of this discussion, time will prove im not a troll.

you guys can think what you want, it really doesnt matter. i was just explaining my position/ pov on how/why i carry and the advantages i see. nobody has pointed out any valid holes in my method, youve just said that im trolling and i just got off the shortbus

you guys sound like trolls, yet point out even ONE thing in my 3 carry method you disagree with. its just ''troll'' ''shortbus'' and ''dumbest thing ive read on gd in 32 years''

and what am i bragging about? i honestly didnt mean to come off that way if i did.
now whos trolling who?

Kind of like that. Now shush, read for the next 4 years then you may speak. Run along.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a G29SF loaded with Underwood 10MM 180gr GD J.H.P. just to be sure.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Originally Posted By JustTheTipBaby

1. not a troll account. i know arfcom likes pictures, i will take pics of my springfield armory stainles 1911, my shield, and my lcp. i dont care that much to actually do it but i can if you really think im trolling

2. ive been out of school for over 1 .5 years now. no short bus, COLLEGE.

3.  make your own judgements. i may come off silly or whatever, but i dont care.

lots of people being silly on me. i dont care, im a 20013'er, i dont care. typical arfcom e-penis fights.

So how's that English Literature degree working out for you?  

dont care much about english/grammar/punctuation on the internet. as long as the message is clear then idc. it works.

Username - check
Join date - check
Extravagant bragging - check

All criteria met. You're completely full of shit. Have a nice day

only real trolls try hardest to deny they are trolling. and keep continuing the argument. im going to bow out of this discussion, time will prove im not a troll.

you guys can think what you want, it really doesnt matter. i was just explaining my position/ pov on how/why i carry and the advantages i see. nobody has pointed out any valid holes in my method, youve just said that im trolling and i just got off the shortbus

you guys sound like trolls, yet point out even ONE thing in my 3 carry method you disagree with. its just ''troll'' ''shortbus'' and ''dumbest thing ive read on gd in 32 years''

and what am i bragging about? i honestly didnt mean to come off that way if i did.
now whos trolling who?

Where to begin....

First off, I have no problem carrying a backup gun. I also have a micro .380.

But, doing New York reloads, and relying on those, is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

I can do a reload, in my concealed gear within 3 seconds on a bad day. Good day is closer to two seconds. There is no way that I could reach that speed dropping my primary, and going to my pocket or ankle for a secondary weapon. Not only is it easier to reload my primary weapon, but I am not going from a single action trigger, to striker fired, to DAO, so my shots will be much more consistent.

Depending on my carry gun, I have anywhere between 41-50 rounds on me, and that is with two spare magazines, and not counting a back up gun. This is much more effective then less roughly 20 rounds between 3 guns.

3 guns, in my opinion and based off my experience, is rather impractical. Have you ever paused to think if you are the only person doing it, that might be a clue?

EZ
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it weren't against coc I'd make a .380 for coyotes thread.

I dunno, didn't Rick Perry dispatch one that way?
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I won't argue with anyone carry what you're comfortable with. But I choose 9mm for this. And as others have said there honestly isn't much of a difference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've carried a G17 for years and finally purchased a G19 last friday.

I still need to spend some time with it to have confidence in it but Im digging the smaller size so far
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The size of the cavity makes a difference. I've seen and treated my share of gunshot wounds. A wound from a .45ACP does more tissue damage than a 9mm based on the gunshots I've seen. The worst pistol round wound I've seen was caused by a .357 Magnum but I have seen amputations caused by a .45ACP.  That being said, we rarely lose a patient that has been shot with a pistol regardless of caliber. So, it's best to carry what you shoot best with because regardless of the round used shot placement is what is going to make the difference. But, looking at pictures of ballistic gel is one thing. Seeing the actual wounds is another.

The ME's Jim Cirillo spoke to on the subject stated that without a recovered bullet in most cases they had trouble telling the difference between .32 and .45 ACP FMJ wounds.

Maybe just taking a casual glance from the outside at an entrance wound to the torso or to a fleshy part of the body where the bullet simply hit soft tissue that is usually true. Once you actually have a look inside the body and start assessing the extent of the injuries it is very easy to tell the difference and we can pretty accurately say "you are looking at a large/small caliber pistol wound" for example. There is usually a significant difference in the amount of tissue damage caused by something like a .380auto or 9mm and a .45ACP even though it may not always be apparent from the outside of the body.  

The same is true of a rifle round. The entrance wound caused by the 5.56 usually doesn't look like much from the outside when it passes through soft tissue but the internal tissue damage caused by the bullet is absoultly more extensive and lethal. Way more so than a pistol round so it's easy to say "this guy was probably shot with a rifle rather than a pistol."

However, I will say again pick whatever round you shoot best with. Every single time I have ever seen a person die from a pistol wound it has been due to shot placement. Not caliber. A bullet that causes more tissues damage and produces a larger cavity in the wake of it's path just increases the likelihood something vital will be hit.

Dr Fackler and Roberts disagrees with you and so do I from what I've cut apart and seen.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yeah its all fun and games and free team memberships in a practiced, multi-take video session.

when people are screaming and limbs are are everywhere and you dont have time to think, whats easier?

thumbing your mag release dropping a mag, making sure it clears, grabbing a fresh mag, making sure you insert the mag into the mag well with shaky hands, slamming it in and racking /releasing the slide,

or just grabbing another ready to go gun.

i report, you decide.

and no video im sorry. if you want you can think your method is better and we can all go on living our happy lives.

It's the method proven to be efficient in combat here in the US and overseas.

I'll give you a hint. It's not your method.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did we ever survive before the .40 Smith and Wesson came along?

9mm , same as now.

38spl/357mag
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Very interesting thread with the sole disappointment of not getting to see the '13er with 3 guns going against one guy with 1 gun and 2 magazines for total time.  I was looking forward to seeing that.

I usually carry a 9mm myself.  Speer Gold Dot 124 +P for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Very interesting thread with the sole disappointment of not getting to see the '13er with 3 guns going against one guy with 1 gun and 2 magazines for total time.  I was looking forward to seeing that.

Me too.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
9 mm Luger - 450 Joules
40 SW   -       475 Joules
45 Auto   -    485 Joules

What do we learn from this small sample?  All three rounds produce about the same energy at the muzzle, but .40SW is gay because it costs and recoils more.

How do I know that the difference between 450 Joules and 475 or 480 Joules is insignificant?

.223 - 1,740 Joules
.308 - 3,550 Joules

Because rifle rounds make pistol rounds look gay.

Yup. Comparing pistol calibers is like comparing little league teams. They all suck about the same.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq319/DocGKR/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Honestly though, some of the serious threads here have made me realize that all pistols suck. I just carry whichever gun I like the most at the time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I would so like to see the shoot off between 1 guy (JustTheTipBaby) and 3 guns versus 1 guy (bcauz3y) and 1 gun with 2 additional mags that I will donate $50 to the winner's charity once videos of each are posted.  Come on, even if you lose someone's charity wins!

JTTB if you win I will also buy you a team membership.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah its all fun and games and free team memberships in a practiced, multi-take video session.

when people are screaming and limbs are are everywhere and you dont have time to think, whats easier?

thumbing your mag release dropping a mag, making sure it clears, grabbing a fresh mag, making sure you insert the mag into the mag well with shaky hands, slamming it in and racking /releasing the slide,

i report, you decide.

and no video im sorry. if you want you can think your method is better and we can all go on living our happy lives.

actually its quicker to draw a secondary than it is to reload a primary.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit he did!
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I understand he's trolling, but really what does a .40 or .45 user usually give as their reason? It's bigger? That's about it. Carrying a pistol is always a compromise and has a serious deficiency in wounding potential no matter what caliber you carry.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilarious!  I carry a G19 and 2 additional G17 mags loaded with 124 grn NATO.  No whiz bang +p+ or $2,000 1911.  Just a compact 9mm Glock and regular FMJ rounds.  Reliability + Individual Performance = Carry gun win.  

Granted one round off the cheek bone night not vaporize a BG's melon, but said BG likely cease whatever it was he was doing that caused my to draw and shoot.  I'm good with that.

Can't tell if serious about fmj...

Completely, it's what I train with therefore it's what I carry.  I understand the HP, +p+, hydrashok, nuclear tipped thing but I don't understand why some people train with one round yet carry another.  My chose my carry pistol and it's ammo to eliminate variables that could lead to failure, IE missing my target or having some kind of mechanical problem with the pistol itself.  If I pull it I want to know, with as much certainty as possible, that it will work the way I expect it to.

You train with something else because most people can't afford to train at .50-.70 per round of 9mm for the good stuff.

There is no reason to do it anyway.

The accuracy is not much different, and I've shot a few hundred of my dedicated carry ammo to ensure function. Never a problem.

No reason to shoot thousands though for practice. Use FMJ for practice unless necessary.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i report, you decide.

If your primary is slung and you aren't worried about retaining the primary, I agree. If you're worried about retaining your weapons, this turns into a bag of smashed and infected ass.  The dude with the utility belt full of pistols hasn't really talked to us about weapons retention.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not a real big fan of 9MM, but I do have one stuffed in the front of my pants right now (LC9, 7+1 of 147 gr. Ranger and no spare mag ). I prefer .45 or .357 mag but single stack 9MMs are SO easy to carry.

9mm uses higher pressures to push a smaller lighter bullet faster, in a smaller package.  
You can carry slightly more of them for a given weight, and fit more of them in a gun at a time.

.45 ACP works at a lower pressure to push a bigger heavier bullet slower, in a larger package.  
In situations where you are limited to FMJ ammunition, they might make a bigger hole.

Both 9mm and .45 ACP have been killing shit for over a hundred years, both of them are good at it, reliable, and safe.

.40 SW doesn't do anything that 9mm can't do, and it doesn't do anything that .45 ACP can't do.
Oh, but it costs more, has snappier recoil, and sometimes it blows up in your face in the process of doing nothing special.

TL/DR: The important thing is not choosing between 9mm vs .45ACP, but rather the important thing is not choosing .40 SW, and then learning to shoot whatever you chose.

+1. This
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i report, you decide.

If your primary is slung and you aren't worried about retaining the primary, I agree. If you're worried about retaining your weapons, this turns into a bag of smashed and infected ass.  The dude with the utility belt full of pistols hasn't really talked to us about weapons retention.

In a gunfight, I'd drop an empty gun without a second thought.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i report, you decide.

Hmmmmm. I wonder why the practice of carrying multiple pistols for personal defense hasn't been widely adopted by more LEA's in lieu of carrying reloads?  

I would also drop a non-functioning weapon and leave it, but only out of sheer necessity and not as part of an overall defensive plan. Mag changes can be done PDQ with practice...

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But then it might scratch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, the first time. Once you start digging in pockets and ankle holsters, that all changes.

Not taking into account the possible need for more rounds beyond the magazines in the pistols, etc, etc.

It's much more efficient to simply carry reloads, and maybe a secondary.

Carry three guns with no reloads is

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hmmmmm. I wonder why the practice of carrying multiple pistols for personal defense hasn't been widely adopted by more LEA's in lieu of carrying reloads?  

I would also drop a non-functioning weapon and leave it, but only out of sheer necessity and not as part of an overall defensive plan. Mag changes can be done PDQ with practice...

Most of us carry a backup sidearm, but would opt for reloading our primary over drawing the backup.

Exactly, the part in bold. Your primary is your primary for a reason. Unless you are carrying two pistols that are exactly the same, and can be drawn with the same efficient draw-stroke and deployed effectively etc, etc, it will be more effective of a combat option to reload your primary weapon.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then it might scratch.

It'll just enhance the ones from the driveway.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a great picture, but it tells the tale of how poor 9mm NATO is.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Wound%20Profiles/9mm%20US%20M882.jpg

yeah, 9mm BALL

Which was his point exactly. Notice the NATO part?

WWho, besides the military, carries effing ball....in a hhandgun
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can speak from experience that 9MM is sufficient.  When I was young I was stupid and hung with the wrong crowd. By age 13 I had witnessed several shootouts. One of last times I hung around my "friends", I witnessed yet another shootout.  The difference this time is that the guys shooting at us had been practicing and all had Glock 17s.

One of my good friends, Daniel, had a .25 acp On him. His brother had a .357 snubby.  My friend with the wheel gun started firing first, unfortunately they had zero training.  The other guys returned fire and immediately put him down. So his little brother started firing with the .25 from about 20 yards or so. He was just aiming in their general direction and firing as fast as possibe. No cover at all.  That immediately drew the other guys fire and they took him out of the fight with one shot. They randomly shot two more people and left. As they drove off they stopped and emptied their magazines at my now downed friends. Fortunately they were no longer aiming. So my  friend, the older brother had taken a round through the chest and through his lft ear, as he turned to run he took a round to his left lower back.

His younger brother with the .25 took one round right above his left front hip joint. As the bad guys drove off shootng, they tagged the older brother in the top inside of his left ankle. The bullet entered his ankle and exited out of the bottom of his foot. He survived. The doctors removed part of his left lung. The bullets went in and out.  He also lost 7 feet of intestines because of the round from behind.  His little brother only sixteen, took the one round and it hit about four inches to the left of his belly button. Unfortunately the round hit his artery and He bled out in under a minute.  I really recosidered my friends after this incident. I chose a more responsible path and "grew" up.  

That being said they were both shot and immediately incapacitated by 9mm fmj target rounds.   One of them fataly.  So IMHO 9mm is plenty powerful enough.  

Bad part of my life, but I am always prepared. I say if you need a stronger round it shout be centerfire rifled.

Tell me more about how good or bad each side was.

They were all fucking idiots with guns. Hence why one of them is dead and the others are in jail and I have nothing to do with any one of my old friends.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i report, you decide.

Nor has he mentioned what he does with the wallet and cellphone in his hands to avoid pickpockets, when he needs to start grabbing at one of the chosen, based on ammo/price needed for the situation, of 3 guns.  Does he toss his wallet and cell aside?
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I carry a glock 19 or 26 usually with 124's. I'm big on 9mm because I own a FA Uzi and roll my own 147's for the suppressor. I also shoot the reloads in my glocks. That being said this thread does have me thinking I should look at some HP's to carry and train with instead of just using the FMJ's all the time.

Wait, whut?  It's like you're throwing a perfectly good weapon down a driveway or something!  Oh the humanity!  FWIW, I plan on doing exactly the same thing.  I am still a believer in carrying what you train with for performance consistency purposes but it would be foolish to disregard the opinions of so many guys on this board that know what they are talking about.  It's certainly worth investing the time to find out for myself.    

In nearly 9 years on ARF.com and lurking prior to that, this is the first 9mm vs everything else thread I've participated in.........it certainly hasn't disappointed!  It's like the good ol' days before Zero!
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I eventually settled on 9mm. I've carried a .40, .45, .38, .44mag, .44spl, and .380.

I decided to standardize on the 9mm for a few reasons. Based on research (anecdotal, statistical, and experimental), the difference between wounds from any of the practical carry calibers is pretty small. There's a pretty big step up from .380 to 9mm, with .38 spl +P fitting somewhere in the gap.

Essentially, the chances that an expanded .45 JHP will intersect something important that a 9mm JHP fired along the same path will miss... are pretty small.  The chances that 5 hits of 9mm will intersect something important that 3 hits of .45 will miss... that's actually pretty decent. Recording my own shot times, I can make 5 good hits with a 9mm in the same time it takes me to make 4 good hits with .40 or 3 good hits with .45.

So even with no capacity difference, I'm still going to pick a 9mm over a .40 or .45, just because I can get more hits more quickly with it. 9mm is the lowest-recoil caliber that can propel a bullet with enough energy to expand a JHP and still reliably penetrate more than 12" in calibrated gelatin, both bare and with 4 layers of denim, as well as crack a pelvis reliably.

But I'll be honest. Capacity is a concern. My hands are a bit on the small side, and I can't get my fingers around any double-stack .45 handguns. I just can't get a good solid grip and reach the trigger at the same time. None of the XD, Glock, M&P, FN, or H&K double stack .45 pistols will fit. I suspect that most people who own them can't fit them in their hands either, but don't shoot them enough to realize it. So if I move up to .45, then I'm limited to about 8 rounds. Capacity between .40 and 9mm doesn't change much, with 13 vs 15, etc.

So that's why I picked a 9mm. It's the lowest-recoiling caliber that has enough energy to expand a JHP and then penetrate deep enough to reach the important bits that I need to poke holes in. As a bonus, I get more boolits in my clips - and in a gunfight, I want as many bullets going toward the other guy as possible.

I'd like to see some research on a 9mm-length .312 caliber, whether it's possible to push a heavy enough bullet fast enough to expand, penetrate, and break a pelvis.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I can't wait to see the .45 one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, how about a 9mm rifle?  Any advantages of 9mm in a rifle platform?  

It all comes down to the projectile used. If the projectile was designed to expand at normal pistol velocities (like most 9mm bullets), then it might fragment and not reached the required depth when fired from a rifle barrel.

Not much of an issue with the 9x19; some loads will actually chrono slower from a 16" barrel than a 5".

I've always wondered about using a Beretta CX4 or a 9mm AR as a defensive weapon.  
What type of 9mm load/weight would be considerably faster from a 16in barrel?  

I've got a CX4 and wouldn't have quams using it for HD. ballisiticsbytheinch.com will show you the velocity test results were with various loads, but I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Even if a load has picked up 200fps in a carbine, that velocity does nothing to increase terminal performance - the bullet is gonna make the same sized hole either way. Going for max velocity increase may, however, put you into the very territory the Swede was referring to where you're outside the performance envelope of the bullet. The 9x19 is and will always be a service pistol round, if you want greater performance go to a rifle round.

My advice if you're looking to run a 9mm carbine is to pick a load from here, make sure it functions in your rifle, and be happy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I understand he's trolling, but really what does a .40 or .45 user usually give as their reason? It's bigger? That's about it. Carrying a pistol is always a compromise and has a serious deficiency in wounding potential no matter what caliber you carry.

I started CCW with a .45, then went to a .40, and now a 9mm most of the time (still carry a .40 on duty, although I could carry something else if I wanted).

.45 is heavier than the others, with less capacity
9mm is lightest with the lightest recoild, and highest capacity
.40 is a good blend between the two, with more recoil than 9mm but in a smaller package than .45

So it's all personal preference, I can't knock on anyone for carrying any of them.    I'm not a big fan of .380 but I can understand people carrying the micro pistols, and I'm less of a fan of going any smaller than that.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I can fit my hand around any of the double stack .45s as I own a M&P .45, HK USP .45 and a FNP .45 and shoot them all pretty good but my shot to shot interval is more than it is with my 9mm.  However, for me the biggest issue is concealability.  I usually carry a P239 under a t-shirt or sometimes my P6 but I can't conceal a big handgun like a double stack .45 unless I wear a very big shirt.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

Same. Or Hornady XTP.

This for me too. I have mags full with both...but usually only carry one mag in my 26
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Jesus, 10mm looks promising in that lil' chart there...

Here's another one to seal the deal for you.  

I LOLed
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i report, you decide.

Wha? Where the fuck do you live, "Saving Private Ryanville"?
A common trait in idiots is to think everyone else is as dicked up as they are. You're ate the fuck up.

I meant to quote that earlier
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit he did!

It probably hasn't been brought up, but it's all about the shot placement.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i report, you decide.

Wha? Where the fuck do you live, "Saving Private Ryanville"?

A common trait in idiots is to think everyone else is as dicked up as they are. You're ate the fuck up.

I meant to quote that earlier

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is it about the 7th time this has been posted?

Think so...

Pro tip: Anytime you want to post something on ARFCOM, look at when the content was produced. If it was more than 5 minutes ago, chances are it's already been posted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I love my 9mm PPQ, I can drive it like a damn finely tuned Maserati.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 3:57:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, 9mm BALL

Apparently at least one person in this thread does.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, 9mm BALL

Every time I read this, it makes me stutter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Sure guys.....Aaron Burr was using high velocity, muzzle loading HP sabots and shrugged off a shot from low velocity ball ammo that bounced off his dress vest.  Or maybe he aimed center mass and squeezed with a projectile that did sufficient damage to his target without killing the entire Hamilton family tree.  Ball ammo has killed dudes for a long, long time.  I can hit with it, and I've stated in this tread that I will examine the HP option.  

Despite the heat, nobody has yet refuted the fact that guys the carry one round yet train with another are adding additional variables that could lead to failures (misses).  Unless that is I'm wrong about 115 grn practice ball having that exact same recoil effect as 147 grn +p+.  Maybe I'm wrong, I'm absolutely willing to learn.  Until then, I'll continue to error on the side to consistency and hits on target.  HP or FMJ, it is wise to use the same ammo to train with that you load into your carry gun..........and that is my point.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sure guys.....Aaron Burr was using high velocity, muzzle loading HP sabots and shrugged off a shot from low velocity ball ammo that bounced off his dress vest.  Or maybe he aimed center mass and squeezed with a projectile that did sufficient damage to his target without killing the entire Hamilton family tree.  Ball ammo has killed dudes for a long, long time.  I can hit with it, and I've stated in this tread that I will examine the HP option.  

Despite the heat, nobody has yet refuted the fact that guys the carry one round yet train with another are adding additional variables that could lead to failures (misses).  Unless that is I'm wrong about 115 grn practice ball having that exact same recoil effect as 147 grn +p+.  Maybe I'm wrong, I'm absolutely willing to learn.  Until then, I'll continue to error on the side to consistency and hits on target.  HP or FMJ, it is wise to use the same ammo to train with that you load into your carry gun..........and that is my point.

They offer practice ball in 124, 147, and 158 grain loads as well.
If you're concerned that much about ballistics differences, maybe you could purchase regular pressure HP ammunition and practice with regular pressure FMJ ammunition of the same weight, and occasionally practice with some of your carry rounds.  That would help you rotate your carry ammo too.

Also, it's a handgun.  It isn't a very accurate weapon to begin with, so I doubt that you'd be able to notice the differences in ammunition unless you were shooting for groups instead of "training like you fight".
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're concerned that much about ballistics differences, maybe you could purchase regular pressure HP ammunition and practice with regular pressure FMJ ammunition of the same weight, and occasionally practice with some of your carry rounds.  That would help you rotate your carry ammo too.

Also, it's a handgun.  It isn't a very accurate weapon to begin with, so I doubt that you'd be able to notice the differences in ammunition unless you were shooting for groups instead of "training like you fight".

Is the recoil with 147 grn greater than 115 grn?  Equal and opposite reaction and all that.  I'm not as concerned with a 1st shot kill at 30 yards as I am with a recoil I am accustom to from my carry weapon.  The follow up shot(s) is every bit as important as the initial shot.  I've never been in a gunfight, and I hope I never am, but it that day comes I'm going to shoot as fast as I can, as much as I can into my target.  "Shoot to stop" means exactly that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is the recoil with 147 grn greater than 115 grn?  Equal and opposite reaction and all that.  I'm not as concerned with a 1st shot kill at 30 yards as I am with a recoil I am accustom to from my carry weapon.

This is going to sound weird, but the way I recall it, for some reason heavier bullets in 9mm generally seem to have softer recoil.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the recoil with 147 grn greater than 115 grn?  Equal and opposite reaction and all that.  I'm not as concerned with a 1st shot kill at 30 yards as I am with a recoil I am accustom to from my carry weapon.  The follow up shot(s) is every bit as important as the initial shot.  I've never been in a gunfight, and I hope I never am, but it that day comes I'm going to shoot as fast as I can, as much as I can into my target.  "Shoot to stop" means exactly that.

I carry 230 grain Winchester Ranger RA45T JHP and I practice with 230 gr RN plated reloads.

They chrony the same, recoil the same, and hit the same place as I aim.

The only difference I can tell is in my wallet.

I completely understand the whole concept of wanting to train with what you carry, and I truly get that. It's just the fact of the matter that when it comes to FMJ vs JHP, JHP is the clear winner for the majority of personal defense situations. Most departments (and every one around my area) train with FMJ bit carry JHP. The difference between the accuracy and recoil characteristics of the carry ammo and duty ammo is so abysmally small that it is truly just conjecture. The only way I could see it being different is if you are practicing with some softball loads, then or your carry ammo you switch to some hairy nut +P+ load.

My practice ammo chronographs at 830 fps, and so does my carry ammo. I can hit what I want with either. My split times are the same. Only difference is if I do have to use my weapon in a self defense situation, I have more peace of mind that my JHP will expand and dissipate its energy inside of my target and come to rest shortly thereafter, instead of sailing through it and smacking little Sally behind my intended target. I carry JHP not only to cause more of a wound cavity, but as less liability due to it theoretically not going very far after hitting its target. Of course nothing is set in stone how a bullet will act once it hits a living mass. I have shot jack rabbits with both FMJ and JHP out of a hand gun. The vast majority of the time the JHP causes more damage. Also, most of the time you can see a much more visible impact behind the rabbit as the FMJ passes through, and along with that it usually ricochets. Hell, I have even recovered some of the JHP's that I smacked the rabbits with before, but never with the FMJ. I shoot a shitload of squirrels, and let me tell you, the FMJ always passes through the squirrel and you hear it ricochet off for god knows how long. The JHP does as designed, and fragments as soon as it hits, with only the occasional ricochet when it doesn't open up.

If you are a hunter and you are hunting big game, are you going to want to use a FMJ for your trophy elk hunt? Most certainly not.

But of course, as with everything, your mileage may vary, I am not a doctor or lawyer, and I did not stay at a holiday inn express last night. But when it comes to punching paper, I will use ammo intended for it. When it comes to the possibility of having to shoot bad guys, I will choose ammo meant for that.

EZ
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top