BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You take the seeds out of chilis? I love the bite they add when they're pulverized in a blender. Aside from that, I gotta try this recipe.
View Quote
The seeds from guajillos and pasillas will add more of a sour earthy note than adding any spice. The seeds from the arbol or japones are great if you toast them first before blending in, but they do better ground in the spice Grinder. If not fine enough they can give a chalky texture to things.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: You forgot the beans.
View Quote
I was wondering when I would read this.

WOAFP: You win with this thread my friend.

I normally say beans are req'd but that is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Wtf? No beans I'm out. But nice kitchen OP.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Chicken stock takes on the flavors of the dish while imparting a wonderful richness. Beef stock does not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why use chicken stock and not beef stock?
Chicken stock takes on the flavors of the dish while imparting a wonderful richness. Beef stock does not.
Sorry, but a properly made beef stock (not store bought) imparts a much better flavor in a beef dish, like chili, than a chicken stock will.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I screenshotted the shit out of the instructions.

God bless you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry, but a properly made beef stock (not store bought) imparts a much better flavor in a beef dish, like chili, than a chicken stock will.
View Quote
I make my own beef stocks and bone broths, and would not use any of them on a dish like this. The chilis are the stars here and a beef stock would really take away from that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome chili. Only thing I would add is a bowl of my Pintos on the side.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great I'd like to attempt to replicate this but what kind of beans would you recommend adding?
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks great I'd like to attempt to replicate this but what kind of beans would you recommend adding?
View Quote
La charra on the side with some rice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Awesome chili. Only thing I would add is a bowl of my Pintos on the side.
View Quote
That dog looks so much like mine
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Fantastic op!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I screenshotted the shit out of the instructions.

God bless you.
View Quote
Hopefully they don't take it down too fast. There may be hot dog sauce lovers on the mod staff though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Taco soup?

I'd still eat it, though
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn that looks good!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@subnet

Which do your prefer Ohio or tejas chili?
View Quote
Texas, and I must say, what you did looks fantastic. I became a convert several years before I actually lived here.

The ground meat, tomato and chili powder concoction I grew up with reminds me of home (and I still make it), but the real deal has so much more going for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree. OP did it right.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Beans have their place in a very different "chili" dish. I'll still go to town on a five way when I'm good an drunk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats the point of adding beans? Clearly OP isn't poor and can afford real protein.
Beans have their place in a very different "chili" dish. I'll still go to town on a five way when I'm good an drunk.
Some folks will do odd things when they are drunk.

That's not an excuse.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's not an excuse.
View Quote
Sub will back me up. When you grow up in Ohio you get a craving for that stuff every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL. The Texan mafia have now fully endorsed adding ground coriander and chicken stock to their sacred dish. How can they plausibly deny beans after this ignominy?

I know, "bla, bla, bla." And everyone will recognize the hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#22]
You forgot the beans, commie.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sub will back me up. When you grow up in Ohio you get a craving for that stuff every now and then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not an excuse.
It ain't chili, but it's God damn delicious.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I would love to see a cook off between you and Krashdog.

Both of you are top muthafuckin' notch on food, but I give you the edge on booze.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I grew up in MN and have a fondness for goulash which is what alot here call chili. Just substitute beans for elbow macaroni. Though in no way are the dishes comparable other than they can both be delicious.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Way too much work.  I would eat it but I would prefer Hormel chili w/beans out of a can.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Way too much work.  I would eat it but I would prefer Hormel chili w/beans out of a can.
View Quote
Florida man ain't right in the head.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would love to see a cook off between you and Krashdog.

Both of you are top muthafuckin' notch on food, but I give you the edge on booze.
View Quote
It's kind of cheating though because booze is my biggest hobby.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Dayum OP I'm impressed. I'll give this one a try.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:09:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Another Texan you done good.

I always love your cooking threads, I have serious kitchen envy, love your tools, especially your cutting board.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For some parts.  It's not a Texas chili with coriander, sage, no sweet onions and chicken stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For some parts.  It's not a Texas chili with coriander, sage, no sweet onions and chicken stock.
View Quote
It's dependent on who you learn in from. I learned this recipe in Mexico years ago as chili colorado, not in the US. Even there it was hotly debated home to home whether or not it used onions or whether or not you would put whole fresh peppers in near the end. All of these dishes are the same as other "home" meals. People are used to what they are used to and tend to think of the one their family made as the "authentic" version. All the while the only authentic parts needed for this dish are meats and peppers cooked down until soft and the meat is dyed red.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#35]
The one thing I would add is a tablespoon or so of dark molasses. Adds another level of earthiness to the flavor without adding any sweet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will garnish with raw onion and cilantro. If I'm out of cilantro, I will add coriander to the spice mix. Why not?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I will garnish with raw onion and cilantro. If I'm out of cilantro, I will add coriander to the spice mix. Why not?
View Quote
Tossing coriander into a Mexican dish is the same as tossing salt in with pepper. Its just sort of a standard
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#38]
10/10.  Wish I could get mezcal around here
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
10/10.  Wish I could get mezcal around here
View Quote
There is a massive market in the DC area. The biggest in the country really. I have to get all of mine during my work trips to Texas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tossing coriander into a Mexican dish is the same as tossing salt in with pepper. Its just sort of a standard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a jar of spice mix I refer to as house blend. It's generally the leftovers of the various rubs I've made. At this point it's probably just cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic/onion powder and s&p. With the ratios changing slighty per top off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have a jar of spice mix I refer to as house blend. It's generally the leftovers of the various rubs I've made. At this point it's probably just cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic/onion powder and s&p. With the ratios changing slighty per top off.
View Quote
And it's going to be delicious on just about anything you put it on. Not sure why people get so weird about some of these spices.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Chili on a Fence Post, awsome!
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now I have to fight the rain to take a messy photo. Way to go!
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standing by for photo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And it's going to be delicious on just about anything you put it on. Not sure why people get so weird about some of these spices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a roaster chicken covered in it. The leftovers I shredded, added more spice mix and made "Mexican" chicken salad. Added some pico, lime, and cilantro.

Love that particular flavor profile. Poor poor soap tasters don't know what they are missing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I did a roaster chicken covered in it. The leftovers I shredded, added more spice mix and made "Mexican" chicken salad. Added some pico, lime, and cilantro.

Love that particular flavor profile. Poor poor soap tasters don't know what they are missing.
View Quote
that's like making some good achiote paste and just using an adobe type marinade on everything. Every meat is tasty with it when you just give it a good hot char on a grill
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Well done.

Great photography, good ingredients...

I might have to try a bit of coco powder in my dried chile paste.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LOL. The Texan mafia have now fully endorsed adding ground coriander and chicken stock to their sacred dish. How can they plausibly deny beans after this ignominy?

I know, "bla, bla, bla." And everyone will recognize the hypocrisy.
View Quote
What liquid do you use when you rehydrate dried chiles for making chili?

The coriander I'm more meh on, but OP did so well on everything else it doesn't bother me.  Plus its an actual flavor adding ingredient, unlike tasteless shitty canned legumes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What liquid do you use when you rehydrate dried chiles for making chili?

The coriander I'm more meh on, but OP did so well on everything else it doesn't bother me.  Plus its an actual flavor adding ingredient, unlike tasteless shitty canned legumes.
View Quote
I mean, I've seen it done with water, but why not use a good chicken stock that isn't going to change the flavor profile and is going to add some good depth.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I mean, I've seen it done with water, but why not use a good chicken stock that isn't going to change the flavor profile and is going to add some good depth.
View Quote
I agree with you 100%, I've tried both ways....sometimes depending on the chiles just using straight water can make it bitter too.  I use chicken stock.

I asked him because anyone who posts like that doesn't rehydrate anything for chili...they're more of a can opening sort.....
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top