Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s worth that much now. The problem is finding someone who’s got a Glock 7. It’s the only pistol that can fire those rounds. I’ve only heard of one guy who allegedly had one. But that was years ago.
View Quote
Last I saw him, we walked right past the TSA checkpoint with that undetectable pistol straight onto a Concord and flew away like a Boss...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Same X-act Thing

It was a running joke back when they switched. Anti gunners had no clue. Nyclad was only for keeping the bore from fouling as much anyway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 boxes of 9mm, 2 boxes of .45 and a box of 10mm.
A few people have asked about them. I explain the stupidity behind Winchester pulling them. I usually get a "Huh, didn't know that" and off they go.
I do see them for sale at gun shows for crazy prices. I offer to sell them mine, they usually only want to give $10 a box for them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought it pretty much just got renamed, repackaged and sold as something new a few years later.
Can not remember the name though.
Found it - bonded PDX1.
View Quote
It did. Ranger SXT (Same xact thing)
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
“I got a box of Black Talons, they’re banned.”  (Quote from my dipshit uncle years back after I tried explaining to him they’re not banned, not anything special, and that you can readily buy equivalent HPs.). He also told me my suppressors are illegal despite trying to explain the process of buying one to him.

Literally one of the dumbest people I’ve ever met.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Black Talon is grand pappy Ranger T

1991 Black Talon
2000 Ranger SXT
2007 Ranger T
View Quote
I also heard the sxt meant Same eXact Thing. Who knows if it's real or not.

Edit: apparently I'm not the only one who heard it
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
“I got a box of Black Talons, they’re banned.”  (Quote from my dipshit uncle years back after I tried explaining to him they’re not banned, not anything special, and that you can readily buy equivalent HPs.). He also told me my suppressors are illegal despite trying to explain the process of buying one to him.

Literally one of the dumbest people I’ve ever met.
View Quote
We must have the same uncle. Mines a total moron when it comes to prety much anything related to guns or politics. Guess thats what happens when you live in NY for 60 years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
i have a few mags of 9mm and a box of .357mag
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
huh i think i have some 9mm sxt someplace...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We must have the same uncle. Mines a total moron when it comes to prety much anything related to guns or politics. Guess thats what happens when you live in NY for 60 years.
View Quote
Ha.  This uncle of mine (my dads sisters husband) is a complete Florida redneck but he’s dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to guns.  Think of any gun myth or rumor — he’ll argue it’s true to the death.  Oh, you better believe .22LR is the most dangerous round in the world and it can travel five miles away and scramble your body with ricochets.

Just talking to him for any length of time is horrible.  I’m not exaggerating when I say I’m certain he has a low IQ.  My aunt and uncle are in their 70s now but I recently learned my aunt was considering (And my family wanted her to) divorce the guy back in the 80s.  They’ve been unhappily married for almost 50 years.  All they do is complain about everything and each other.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Old Tech
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If you sent me one cartridge, I wouldn't be mad. I wasn't old enough when Black Talons were the thing, and I just want a round to have in my collection of random gun shit that's interesting to me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Last I saw him, we walked right past the TSA checkpoint with that undetectable pistol straight onto a Concord and flew away like a Boss...
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:19:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a few boxes of 40 and one box of 10mm. A fun item in an old ammo can packed away.

There is also about 1800 rds of Ranger SXT/ Ranger T near them It's still my preffered carry ammo. It works. 127+P and 147 gr loads.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Breaking bad: Cousin''s arms dealer
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]
The will peak in value along with beanie babies.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a couple boxes of Remington Core-Lokt 30/30 from the 60s, but it doesn't even put holes in stuff anymore since 6.5 Creedmore was invented.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:54:57 AM EDT
[#18]
If I recall correctly, SXT = Super eXpansion Talon ?

We always said Same eXact Thing...

I have shot a LOT of them.  Never had a dud, nor seen a bad Black Talon, SXT, or Ranger T round out of hundreds of thousands I have seen fired when training or running quals.  Heard of issues at other places, with improperly stored ammo (wet), but my agency has had zero problems in 20+ years of using it...and I have fired many of them after they went thru the clothes washer (oops!).  Literally have multiple range instructors, who have the same experience- no fail to fires ever with this ammo.  Cannot say the same for the practice ammo, especially WinClean type...

Lots of bad guys put in the dirt by these rounds by US LE, maybe the most of any one type of round for the last 20 years.  Federal has been upping their game with HST, and Speer with the Gold Dot, (both great choices) but these are still a decent loading.  There is a lot to be said for the design when it has been in widespread use for over two decades with basically only a color and name change.

Should have kept more of the black colored ones instead of always shooting them up when I find a few here or there....but to me fresh ammo is better than old ammo.

Not a bonded round at all.  Well known for shedding the jacket when going thru glass.  The base looks like a FMJ round as the lead core is exposed on the bottom.

Good stuff.  Just buy the current Ranger T for actual use- not 20 year old Black Talon.  Get the 147 for 9, 180 for .40, and 230 for .45, and you will be doing better than most people.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Ahhhh the Teflon coated bullets that go through bullet proof vests and shred organs.

Your liberal friends are going to lose their minds.

lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't listen to the naysayers; you're rich.....rich.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Sold twice that amount plus dozens of pre-ban GI mags and made a mint.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.  And I'm pretty sure there are better options now.  It was cutting-edge for its time (no pun intended), but that was 20+ years ago.
View Quote
The value of Black Talon isn't the technology. It's that its very existence makes libs cry.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@rcc1
View Quote
I was staying out of this. Lol

I guess 24 boxes is a huge pile to some.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same X-act Thing

It was a running joke back when they switched. Anti gunners had no clue. Nyclad was only for keeping the bore from fouling as much anyway.
View Quote
This. All the OP bought was old, unbonded, uncoated brass cased, SXTs with a Nyclad coating. The modern PDX is much better. Bullet technology has made some significant bounds since BTs were on the market.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Sell them on Gunbroker or at the gun show
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got the strangest boner right now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
SO Deadly it was BANNED in New Jersey...

View Quote
What isnt banned in NJ.......
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This. All the OP bought was old, unbonded, uncoated brass cased, SXTs with a Nyclad coating. The modern PDX is much better. Bullet technology has made some significant bounds since BTs were on the market.
View Quote
How is it "much better"?

Does it kill them twice?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Haven't looked at um on gunbroker

But my old boss had cases and cases of the stuff
Used to get $50 a box for it in the store , eventually marked it down to $25. About 5 years ago

Pretty sure they still have some on the shelf and a few cases in back still

There looks to be a ton on GB for $60-70 but none of it is selling.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I think these came off the market due to bullet racism. Black Bullets Matter bros.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Friend of mine got pulled over in Texas a decade or so ago and the officer that stopped him confiscated his ammo because it was to dangerous.  He did give him his empty pistol back though.  
He was told if he had anymore of that ammo he needed to turn it in to the local LE agency.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SO Deadly it was BANNED in New Jersey...

Stupidity and communism. But I guess they go hand in hand...

Anyway, I remember watching the news as a youngin' and seeing this shit on TV. That and the "cop killer" AP bullets, totally disregarding most Centerfire rifles will go clean through soft armor...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#36]
"Black Talon. A round so dangerous, a surgeon could legally refuse to operate on you."
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Guy.... rangers are the same thing and work better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Back when I was in college I took some Criminal Justice classes. One of my teachers was a Capt of the local PD and he brought in some Level II vests they had been shooting with Black Talon to show the class. It turns out the PD believed the lies and was so worried the teflon coating would magically enable the bullets to go though their vests they actually performed tests to see if it was true.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
"Black Talon. A round so dangerous, a surgeon could legally refuse to operate on you."
View Quote
Get outta town! Really?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:

Get outta town! Really?
View Quote
More of the hyperbole surrounding it.

It was claimed that the "talons" were so sharp that any Dr removing one could have their gloves sliced open and they would then be exposed to infectious disease.

The anti-gun BS in the early 90's was so insane.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You got a deal.

I have one box of 45 I used for duty carry until they outlawed it.

Now I guess I have a momento.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought two boxes in .357sig think it was $10 a box. Place only had two boxes or I would have bought more.
You got a deal.

I have one box of 45 I used for duty carry until they outlawed it.

Now I guess I have a momento.
Outlawed it? Who outlawed it?

I was under the impression Winchester removed the black and simply renamed them?
Although I guess it’s slightly different, it opens up the same from what I’ve read.

SXT
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#42]
As long as they’re making SXTs a damn long while.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Outlawed it? Who outlawed it?

I was under the impression Winchester removed the black and simply renamed them?
Although I guess it’s slightly different, it opens up the same from what I’ve read.

SXT
View Quote
More bullshit.

Never outlawed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Those things peirce armor.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Ranger is better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ranger is better.
View Quote
I tend to agree

Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I have two boxes of that in 10mm.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I thought it pretty much just got renamed, repackaged and sold as something new a few years later.
Can not remember the name though.
Found it - bonded PDX1.
View Quote
Ranger
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lol I know someone who has been using his as carry rounds for 20 years
View Quote
Hmmmm
Probably overkill, but I rotate my carry ammo every year
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top