User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you dead set on an SUV?

Minivans are freakin' convenient man.  I don't care if I have to give up my man card.  They get better fuel economy, and even roomier, and you won't get door dings. Little kids don't care about swinging doors open carefully.

The new Sienna gets 36 MPG City/Highway.  That's insanity.

Toyota Sienna is the ULTIMATE people mover.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My wife’s car got totaled from t-boning a car that didn’t see us

Might as well buy something with the cash that’ll be future proof
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't buy vehicles for needs you don't have.  Seriously.  Even after you have your first, you don't need a different vehicle.  That's crazy.

btdt

My wife’s car got totaled from t-boning a car that didn’t see us

Might as well buy something with the cash that’ll be future proof

"Future proof" and cars don't belong in the same sentence.  Between now and the time you "need" a minivan, there exists another vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Dodge Durango R/T, everything mentioned in the OP, great power(365hp) and looks good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Wife and I have three sons. All going to be like their parent over 6ft tall. One dog.
So we got a new Suburban two years ago. Love it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No one ever listens, but I'll be the first of many to recommend an Odyssey or Sienna.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No one ever listens, but I'll be the first of many to recommend an Odyssey or Sienna.
Quoted:

Minivans are freakin' convenient man.  I don't care if I have to give up my man card.  They get better fuel economy, and even roomier, and you won't get door dings. Little kids don't care about swinging doors open carefully.

I always used to suggest a minivan when I'd go on a road trip with the boys. They'd always veto my idea until one time our reservation got fucked and we actually got stuck with a minivan. Well, wouldn't you know it, about 5 miles away from the rental car place and I hear the first whisperings of "shit, man, this thing is actually pretty nice" and "I'm comfortable as hell back here" and "these sliding doors are badass for getting the keg in and out." None of us even had kids at the time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

The Chrysler mini van and it's go stow n go in floor storage is awesome too!
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

If one wants to have kids in the equation, reliability is a must. Chrysler and reliability are mutually exclusive.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife drives a ‘21 Tahoe Premier (it’s her 3rd Tahoe since we had kids).  She loves the space, 4WD for the winter months and the captains chairs are excellent for kids.

Men who brag about minivans aren’t men—they are cucks.
View Quote

Could have bought a lot of cool shit with the $20ish grand you would have saved, but at least you're not a cuck. Have fun doing the top end on that POS next year. Or maybe next week, the way GM has been going.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have friends, you’ll always be taking your vehicle. I like ours, but no kids, just grandkids.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
We had the Odessey van. Removed 1 seat from second row and all of the third row. It is great for traveling. Trans is garbage. We replaced it with a Land Cruiser. The third row stays in the garage. Third row SUVs tend to lack legroom in the third row.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Second row captains fail when you have more kids to pick up. Second row bench is where it is at on the occasions you need to fit one more person. We have both suburbans with captain and benches. The 2021 3rd row has more room and the doors are huge. The gmt400 suburbans have more room inside than any suburban after it. I say get a rust free mid 90's suburban for 10k, then drop another 10k LS swapping it, and 5k redoing any other random stuff from lmctruck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
It kind of depends on how many people you’re hauling and what your loading in it.

We have 4 so I like bench second row. That way the little guy in the car seat isn’t kicking me in the back. Easier to hand stuff back and forth and see in the mirror.

But your situation is very different. It’s easier for the dogs to maneuver with the captains chairs. Whatever you get I suggest something with good cargo room behind the third row or you’ll end up removing the rear seats a lot.

In fact I’d rather have a two row suv and fold the back seats down for what you described. You only mess with three rows because you have too, not want too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]
VW Atlas has a choice of bench seats or captain chairs for middle row.  Has more room than others in its class like the highlander and the KIA/Hyundai Telluride.  The only downside to the Atlas is that both the 4cyl and the V6 don’t have good gas mileage.  We average with almost 60% city driving 17 mpg (V6 with AWD).  The others in the class fair much better.  

If you don’t want to go that big right now, my personal opinion is to look at the VW Tiguan.  It is a smaller SUV with better gas mileage and has the option of a 3rd row.  Granted it is not as roomy, but I fit back there and I’m kinda of a big guy.  I wouldn’t want to do an 8 hour roadtrip, but if you don’t have kids and only need a 3rd row as a just in case type of option … that is the better choice if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for the Toyota Sienna.  I wish I’d got another one instead of a 4 Runner.  That Sienna was just amazing as a family vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If one wants to have kids in the equation, reliability is a must. Chrysler and reliability are mutually exclusive.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Wrong.  We are on our third since 2006.  The previous two were bought used with approx. 70,000 miles and driven until approx 250,000 miles. Both vans had the Chrysler 3.8 engine.  The Pacifica we have now has the 3.6, we have owned it for a year and it has been awesome. We have put 30,000 miles on it the first year.  We bought it with 39,000 miles.

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#17]
We run the Honda Odyssey, the only drawback for us is we live on country roads.  The dirt has ruined our sliding door mechanism, and the tires suffer flats all the time from rocks or nails, a truck based suv would be more durable.  I have 4 kids.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#18]
so I will say bench is better, depending.
so we have 3 kids.
2015 pilot.
It was one of the few mid size suv's that we could fit all 3 kids seats in the middle row.
that way the wife could reach back for any of the kids and still use the whole back for storage if we needed it.
as they got older,  we spread them out to the third row, but that is after they got out of car seats.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
This guy knows. We have a Grand Caravan but only because we got a retarded deal on it, Sienna was the first choice. Regardless, you want room for a family get a minivan. Trust me I fought it too.

We just went on 4 hour trip with a 4yo and a 1yo in the middle captain seats with the 60lbs Coonhound in the backseat of which was 1/3 folded down. Everyone was quite comfortable
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Minivans don't tow.

arf loves minivans lately.  Having 1 kid, maybe, at some pont?  "Dude, buy a minivan.  It's not gay."
View Quote
Bullshit. Here's ours on Memorial Day, pulled like a dream actually. I understand that's not that much weight but don't under estimate the capabilities of a minivan

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is the answer that no one wants to listen to but fits the need.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Get a full size SUV. We like Yukons but the Ford and Lincolns are nice too.

Fuck Hondas and fuck minivans.

The Rovers are nice but just aren't big enough IMO to hold lots of people and pull trailers occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I highly recommend the Sienna. Smoother ride, tons more room than an SUV, easier for loading stuff and moving/changing kids into their sports uniforms, and very capable engine with decent gas mileage.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We had the Odessey van. Removed 1 seat from second row and all of the third row. It is great for traveling. Trans is garbage. We replaced it with a Land Cruiser. The third row stays in the garage. Third row SUVs tend to lack legroom in the third row.
View Quote

Funny you mentioned the odyssey trans.  We serviced ours with the fluid swap every 40k or 50k miles (owners manual I think said 70k?) and we never had an issue. Dealership recommended it and I did it myself after they did it the first time.  
Friends of ours went through two or three transmissions in their ‘04.  No one believed us it was still untouched when we went to trade it in. And because of the trans reputation Carmax only offered us $400.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bullshit. Here's ours on Memorial Day, pulled like a dream actually. I understand that's not that much weight but don't under estimate the capabilities of a minivan

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455279/E884EF13-9172-4B99-96E3-12A24550875E_jpe-2291393.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivans don't tow.

arf loves minivans lately.  Having 1 kid, maybe, at some pont?  "Dude, buy a minivan.  It's not gay."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455279/E884EF13-9172-4B99-96E3-12A24550875E_jpe-2291393.JPG

Literally any car could do that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]

I want one.

What is this spectacular creation?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
How safe are these mini-vans during t-bone accidents?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#28]
alright boys you fucking convinced me.  Not the wife.  But me.  She's going to take my vehicle and we are going to buy a Sienna.  The Sienna will be mine.  

Looking at the woodland edition... AWD, 36 mpg highway, tow hitch with tow rating up to 3500 pounds, 1500watt inverter, leather interior... whats not to love?  Not like im trying to impress anyone anymore in my life.. I am going to go in for a test drive this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Acura MDX had served my family pretty well. I would recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
alright boys you fucking convinced me.  Not the wife.  But me.  She's going to take my vehicle and we are going to buy a Sienna.  The Sienna will be mine.  

Looking at the woodland edition... AWD, 36 mpg highway, tow hitch with tow rating up to 3500 pounds, 1500watt inverter, leather interior... whats not to love?  Not like im trying to impress anyone anymore in my life.. I am going to go in for a test drive this weekend.
View Quote

What color?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
The safest place to put a car seat is in the center seat in the row.  They are not up against the impact zones of the vehicle.  I believe that captain's chairs are towards the outside of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Three kids here.  All vehicles we’ve purchased since the first kid was born have been 2nd row captains chairs w/3rd row.  

Presently rolling in a Toyota Highlander and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#33]
We have had the 3rd row in our 5th Gen 4Runner for the same reasons your wife wants a 3rd row. We've used it once in maybe the last 6 years.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#34]
To answer your question OP.
Captains chairs are perfect for toddlers. I had no issues with them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Make her sit in a Highlander third row for a test drive and then a mini van third row.

Then ask her which would be more comfortable for her kid on a road trip.

Get the minivan.

Take a backseat for the kid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dodge Durango R/T, everything mentioned in the OP, great power(365hp) and looks good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/321106/F43B9136-320F-400E-9501-19ED9A988990_jpe-2291101.JPG
View Quote
Lol, base model Expedition has more horsepower than that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wrong.  We are on our third since 2006.  The previous two were bought used with approx. 70,000 miles and driven until approx 250,000 miles. Both vans had the Chrysler 3.8 engine.  The Pacifica we have now has the 3.6, we have owned it for a year and it has been awesome. We have put 30,000 miles on it the first year.  We bought it with 39,000 miles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

My 200,000 miles 2003 Honda Odyssey laughs at those three Chryslers since 2006.

Meanwhile, my 2007 Wrangler JKU is rotting on my driveway because the Chrysler dealership poorly trained monkeys cannot fix its electrical issues that shut its engine down without a warning.  Only thing they know is to fleece unsuspecting customers.  

A family car must be able to take you from point A to point B, and back.  When it has to be towed back, it's not worthy to be a family car.  A toy, maybe. But there are better options around.

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good choice.  You will see how versatile those cars are.

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The safest place to put a car seat is in the center seat in the row.  They are not up against the impact zones of the vehicle.  I believe that captain's chairs are towards the outside of the vehicle.
View Quote

I don't know about the Sienna.  However, my Odyssey allows for sliding the passenger-side captain chair to the center (centerish...).  It gives a lot of room for people to access the third row seat.  My son's baby seat used to be attached to that one, for this very reason.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top