BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It has been tested, for years, in Craig Douglas' "Extreme Close Quarters Combatives" courses, and didn't fail.  Hit the YouTubes and you'll see how taxing that environment is.
View Quote
87% of the posters here would cringe in terror at having to perform at ECQC.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

1) Opens up the back of the slide to debris, which can lead to jamming.  I have detail stripped my bird guns in the past and found all kinds of grass and crap in places that baffles the mind.

2) Debris could wedge into the "flipper" keeping it closed.  This would lock up the trigger.

3) Debris could wedge into the "flipper" keeping it open.  Now it no longer functions as intended and the guy that thinks he is safe to re-holster with his thumb on the slide still has a negligent discharge.

If I get knocked to the dirt in a fight, the last thing I want is hinged door on the back of my slide waiting for a big clump of mud to enter it.
View Quote
The thing is, you're wrong about the gadget letting debris in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Honestly the only people who will buy this are probably gunners who already have the lowest probability of having a DA to begin with.
View Quote
I'd agree with this.  The people who probably most need a device like this aren't buying a device like this.  If you train extensively with your Glock and are aware that this potential problem exists, you probably regularly ensure it doesn't happen anyways by taking extra care to holster your Glock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Post video of you firing a Glock while holding the slide shut with your thumb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is so much Dunning-Kruger in this thread. The Gadget is a great idea. It has been tested for a long time. There is no down side.
There is one downside in theory.  If you are a total knucklehead and don't properly engage the thing with your thumb and the trigger catches while holstering, you've compounded your Glock Leg with Gadget Thumb.

In theory anyways.
Holding a slide shut while firing a pistol won't hurt you.
Ok here's G17 V.S. Thumb

https://youtu.be/o8WU1auVZGw
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuck that
View Quote
LOL the very first thing that popped into my head.  If I'm putting a switch back there, it's gonna be a fun switch!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why would you draw 10k and not fire the weapon with live ammo? Either snap caps or a dry fire magazine are a better solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is an instructor on here that uses it.  I can understand that.  He literally does 10K draws and reholsters with a loaded G19 AIWB per year.

I would never use one on a carry gun.
Why would you draw 10k and not fire the weapon with live ammo? Either snap caps or a dry fire magazine are a better solution.
A Blue Gun would be a better option if it's a training thing.  Glocks are fine the way they are.  If they aren't your cup of tea, then look elsewhere.  There are lots and lots of really great fighting handguns around these days. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is so much Dunning-Kruger in this thread. The Gadget is a great idea. It has been tested for a long time. There is no down side.
There is one downside in theory.  If you are a total knucklehead and don't properly engage the thing with your thumb and the trigger catches while holstering, you've compounded your Glock Leg with Gadget Thumb.

In theory anyways.
Holding a slide shut while firing a pistol won't hurt you.
And in case you thought the example of 9mm was insufficient due to it being a pussy caliber for eurosexuals, here's soul shattering 10mm Glock 20 VS a Thumb

https://youtu.be/tnfkCFnaUZg
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been tested, for years, in Craig Douglas' "Extreme Close Quarters Combatives" courses, and didn't fail.  Hit the YouTubes and you'll see how taxing that environment is.
That's a generous estimate.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're going to have to edit out your original statement then, because what you had originally stated is not the same as what you are saying now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find the idea of adding additional safeties repellent, and I think that the thought process that advocates them breeds complacency.
You're going to have to edit out your original statement then, because what you had originally stated is not the same as what you are saying now.
No I expounded upon it.

I bet you use a shotgun for home defense.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd prefer it to be a fun switch.  Wouldn't put that on my Glock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I will say that in all seriousness, I wouldn't be concerned about ripping my thumb off from the monsterous forces unleashed by the 9mm cartridge, nor the risk of gunk getting in my backplate and causing failure to fire.  It's not like the Glock doesn't have tolerances in the slide you can't drive a truck through to begin with ya know, and reliability hasn't been their bugaboo or anything.

My biggest concern would be having to train to holster my firearm using a specific grip/technique only applicable to the Glock and really nothing else.  If all you ever carry are Glocks, it probably makes sense.  But if you carry other pistolas, I don't wanna have to holster one way for this and holster everything else normally.  It would seem the need for the gadget is eliminated by just being more careful when you holster a Glock.
View Quote
The technique was originally developed with hammer fired pistols so it's applicable to a lot more than just Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I have thought a lot about buying one of these. I think it's a good idea if you ever are in a situation where you have to holster quickly and/or without being able to look down at your holster. The price just seems high to me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have thought a lot about buying one of these. I think it's a good idea if you ever are in a situation where you have to holster quickly and/or without being able to look down at your holster. The price just seems high to me.
View Quote
Dang, even after your experience with the grip safety?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When the opposing argument is "Cheeseburgers" it makes it easy.
View Quote
I'll break it down Barney-style then:  doing something stupid for a long time does not impart legitimacy to the stupid act.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Insurance and lawyers aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I considered one of these since I have to move my carry pistol from the holster to a lock box and back again multiple times a day.  But in the end I just switched back to a DA/SA gun with a manual safety.  For me that was the best choice.  Flip the safety on, remove from holster and place in lock box. Take it out of the lock box, insert in holster and flip safety off.  Not only am I happier with that, but I like the Beretta PX4 compact better than the Glock I was carrying and I shoot it better as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technically he could hire himself 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am not tacticool.  Please explain these situations to me.  As I carry a G19 or G26 AIWB, this subject is of direct interest to me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That has exactly zero to do with why this was invented. Zero. But derp on, folks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maximum speed T-Rex snatches and blind reholstering hnnnngggg I can't wait.
That has exactly zero to do with why this was invented. Zero. But derp on, folks...
Yep, it was people getting jacket drawstrings, shirt tails, etc. in the trigger guard as they holstered the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Steyr and HK have put something similar on their guns

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I will say that in all seriousness, I wouldn't be concerned about ripping my thumb off from the monsterous forces unleashed by the 9mm cartridge, nor the risk of gunk getting in my backplate and causing failure to fire.  It's not like the Glock doesn't have tolerances in the slide you can't drive a truck through to begin with ya know, and reliability hasn't been their bugaboo or anything.

My biggest concern would be having to train to holster my firearm using a specific grip/technique only applicable to the Glock and really nothing else.  If all you ever carry are Glocks, it probably makes sense.  But if you carry other pistolas, I don't wanna have to holster one way for this and holster everything else normally.  It would seem the need for the gadget is eliminated by just being more careful when you holster a Glock.
View Quote
Holstering, drawing, and shooting different guns all require differernt techniques.  

If you shoot a 1911 your thumb rides the safety.  Now you switch to a glock and your thumbs are still high but they don't click the safety on and off.  When you shoot an XD, for me at least, the grip is a little different because of the grip safety  (one reason I don't like them a lot).

All guns require slight shooting modifications when firing.  

This thing for the Glock, really changes nothing.  Simply rest your thumb on the rear of the slide when holstering.  

When I draw and holster my carry 19, I have my thumb on the back of the slide until I begin to clear the holster then it slides to the left side of the grip.   My bet is a lot of people do this as well.  In those instances, it will change nothing.

I see your point wanting consistency, but it's already an inconsistent continuum between guns, holster types, and safeties or lack there of.

I probably won't get one, but I see no issues with it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yep, it was people getting jacket drawstrings, shirt tails, etc. in the trigger guard as they holstered the pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maximum speed T-Rex snatches and blind reholstering hnnnngggg I can't wait.
Right which happens when people do not look when they holster, which is an event that can happen to ANY pistol without a user engageable safety, not just Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Manual safeties are for women and nancies.
View Quote
It is not a manual safety.  And you pay attention like a woman or nancy boy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Technically he could hire himself 
View Quote
Winning!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
With that thing installed (and a suppressor) how could you hold the slide closed with your thumb for extra quiet shots?
View Quote
You can hold the slide closed with your thumb on a standard Glock.  Tom Givens demonstrates here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re8oMnGbnh4
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Strange. Not for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'll break it down Barney-style then:  doing something stupid for a long time does not impart legitimacy to the stupid act.
View Quote
Testing a product under harsh conditions for a long time = stupid.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The thing is, you're wrong about the gadget letting debris in.
View Quote
How does it keep debris out?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How does it keep debris out?
View Quote
I should have said it doesn't allow debris in anymore than the barrel or magazine well. Just for informational purposes you should know that Craig Douglas, Todd Green and many other pro shooters and instructors have tested this thing is as harsh and bad conditions as one could face with no issues. Here are some pics to help you see.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I watched the video.  and not being obtuse, at least not intentionally -- is it only engaged when you have your thumb applying pressure to the gadget?  so it isn't engaged while it is in your holster?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I watched the video.  and not being obtuse, at least not intentionally -- is it only engaged when you have your thumb applying pressure to the gadget?  so it isn't engaged while it is in your holster?
View Quote
Correct. the idea is to prevent ADs while reholstering, especially AIWB.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am not tacticool.  Please explain these situations to me.  As I carry a G19 or G26 AIWB, this subject is of direct interest to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my prior career, the biggest chance of me having to actually shoot my gun or at least draw it would have involved a Defendant being close up. I want to keep my eyes on him if I had to reholster. In that situation, I would be wearing a suit with buttons on the right side. My holster is on my right side. In that rare scenario, it seemed to me like it would be nice to have a way to prevent catching a button while reholstering. That is literally the only time this device seemed like a good idea to me. Like I said--I think it's worth trying. I just am not going to spend the money on it.

ETA: Wasn't trying to be tacticool. I guess I like the idea in principle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Holstering, drawing, and shooting different guns all require differernt techniques.  

If you shoot a 1911 your thumb rides the safety.  Now you switch to a glock and your thumbs are still high but they don't click the safety on and off.  When you shoot an XD, for me at least, the grip is a little different because of the grip safety  (one reason I don't like them a lot).

All guns require slight shooting modifications when firing.  

This thing for the Glock, really changes nothing.  Simply rest your thumb on the rear of the slide when holstering.  

When I draw and holster my carry 19, I have my thumb on the back of the slide until I begin to clear the holster then it slides to the left side of the grip.   My bet is a lot of people do this as well.  In those instances, it will change nothing.

I see your point wanting consistency, but it's already an inconsistent continuum between guns, holster types, and safeties or lack there of.

I probably won't get one, but I see no issues with it.
View Quote
I see your point, and it's very true that most guns require unique if only slight modifications to shoot them.  However on top of that I now have to train a specific means just to holster?  I'm personally not a fan of that.  Currently I holster all of my weapons pretty much the exact same way.  

I mean, this gadget is not a showstopper, I'm not saying anybody who buys one is dooming themselves.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is for those unique tactical situations where it is imperative that you not break eye contact with the bad guy, but for some reason you are quickly re-holstering your firearm.  It should be obvious to you dude.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No idea what you're talking about.
View Quote
In your self defense shooting didn't your 1911 fail to fire after you were shot in the hand? Or am I confusing members here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It is for those unique tactical situations where it is imperative that you not break eye contact with the bad guy, but for some reason you are quickly re-holstering your firearm.  It should be obvious to you dude.
View Quote
Guess I am dense.

I see it for cops, but I don't see cops doing AIWB.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap you guys are such douchebags. I'm sorry my opinion is so gay. I'll stick to the threads with pretty colors and small words from now on.

I don't know why I even post anymore half the time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
why?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I guess carrying a revolver AIWB is completely out then....
View Quote
well I would not put one on my glock because I have no need for it.

but I would not nay say anyone that wanted to put one on their glock if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I see your point, and it's very true that most guns require unique if only slight modifications to shoot them.  However on top of that I now have to train a specific means just to holster?  I'm personally not a fan of that.  Currently I holster all of my weapons pretty much the exact same way.  

I mean, this gadget is not a showstopper, I'm not saying anybody who buys one is dooming themselves.
View Quote
From shooting revolvers and DA/SA my thumb already goes to the hammer when holstering. With my BHP, I slip it inbetween the hammer and slide. I guess Im not seeing an issue adding the capability to a striker fired gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I did not think that this would start such a shit show...

look its simple if you like the idea and it works for you and what you do buy it, install it and use it...

If it does not fit into your world then forget about it and go on living...

It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.

I posted this because there are a lot of glock owners on ARFCOM and figured that some would like this idea and would want to use it for themselves.

Fuck....
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Holy crap you guys are such douchebags. I'm sorry my opinion is so gay. I'll stick to the threads with pretty colors and small words from now on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is GD and as a result , a lot of these guys are being obtuse just to be obtuse.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Not sure why some hate the idea. It seems like a good 'fix' for Glock leg reholstering problem.

Of course a DA/SA already has the hammer in place for you to ride into the holster, but for you Glock guys, this doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

ETA: I see the 'why' has been covered several times. I only read the first half page before responding.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is GD and as a result , a lot of these guys are being obtuse just to be obtuse.
View Quote
I was not being obtuse or sarcastic at all.  AS someone who carries simply for self-defense, I have not envisioned a scenario necessitating quick reholster and/or without looking.  As mentioned, I can see cops having this requirement, however
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Whenever someone brings up the idea that perhaps the Glock has a low margin for error and that perhaps the human beings handling these weapons are not as "safe" as they believe themselves to be, it turns into a bit of a shit show.

The SCD hits on both of these areas so it's inevitable.

Lots of people do like the idea. When that NRA article hit social media orders jumped 10x normal, and now the initial production run is almost completely sold out. Tau has a few left on hand and a few blemished units (cosmetic defects only) and that's it until they can get another production run going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did not think that this would start such a shit show...

look its simple if you like the idea and it works for you and what you do buy it, install it and use it...

If it does not fit into your world then forget about it and go on living...

It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.

I posted this because there are a lot of glock owners on ARFCOM and figured that some would like this idea and would want to use it for themselves.

Fuck....
Whenever someone brings up the idea that perhaps the Glock has a low margin for error and that perhaps the human beings handling these weapons are not as "safe" as they believe themselves to be, it turns into a bit of a shit show.

The SCD hits on both of these areas so it's inevitable.

Lots of people do like the idea. When that NRA article hit social media orders jumped 10x normal, and now the initial production run is almost completely sold out. Tau has a few left on hand and a few blemished units (cosmetic defects only) and that's it until they can get another production run going.
Yeah but damn some of the people in this thread seem to take it as a personal affront.

I might buy one  just to spite the haters...LOL
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top