Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]

The statistician in me wonders how many shots it took to score a hit.

I don't think the shooting is a one time event.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great. Now the USAF is going to do a drive-by in retaliation. The circle of violence will never end.
View Quote

Perfect application for a minigun
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds like those guys were making a run to Mt Weather.   Happens a lot.

They also have a secret airstrip not far from Middleburg.
View Quote
Blabbermouth!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FWIW, the DC area BLM group I'm a part of thinks its hilarious. And that they had it coming.

View Quote
Please clarify this. Because it LOOKS like you are admitting to being a BLM member. I sincerely hope that I am misreading this.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The article doesn’t say what the helicopter was flying over when they were shot at. Kinda hard to draw any conclusions about motive when there is literally no info other than they were shot at and someone was injured.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Urban renewal is a thing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a neighbor that bragged to me how he used to take pot shots at low flying aircraft when he was drunk or bored or whatever.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Please clarify this. Because it LOOKS like you are admitting to being a BLM member. I sincerely hope that I am misreading this.

Nick
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW, the DC area BLM group I'm a part of thinks its hilarious. And that they had it coming.

Nick

Uhhhh this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting. I assume you joined to observe, which I can understand (if that's the case).
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Nick
View Quote

Uhhhh this.
View Quote

I think we had a lefty accidentally out himself the other day trying to protect rioters from what he thought was an undercover cop.
Haven't seen him post much since then.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember going over some ground target pictures with one of the F-16 pilots when I was in the Guard.

I asked him while showing him a picture, "You see this firing at you, what do you do?"

Pilot without missing a beat, "I shoot back."

Me:  "That is a picture of a U.S. weapon."

Pilot:  "Don't care, shoot at me, I shoot back."

I had to smile and acknowledge his superior wisdom.
View Quote

The USAF has had some success shooting up US vehicles at times.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stuff like this happens more often than you would think. Though usually with civilian aircraft.

Probably not a protestor. Probably just some lunatic in the woods.
View Quote

Yep.  We got a call from the City of Tucson when we were having an exercise about people in the city shooting at A-10s as they were coming in for landing late at night.

Checked our jets over.  No hits.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is the correct answer!!!!  Works for riots also!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the correct answer!!!!  Works for riots also!!!!

I'd prefer cluster bombs for riots.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is apparently a coming out thread now
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, it could be that he monitors the opposition's online activity, much like we know they monitor this site.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Moonshiners be territorial!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

This
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Me thinks this is some next level type stuff. Not really peaceful any more.
View Quote

Doubtful. Very doubtful.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The statistician in me wonders how many shots it took to score a hit.

I don't think the shooting is a one time event.
View Quote

I'm wondering what round.  If I recall correctly, a 5.56mm round has a maximum height of about a half mile.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting. I assume you joined to observe, which I can understand (if that's the case).
View Quote

Correct. Purely for information gathering purposes. I live in a deep blue area and it helps to have an inside track to the "community organizers"

So rest assured, I am not a commie. Although my RPD may have been
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

This

@Nick

@Commando_Guy

@Redfish86
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm in western Fairfax County and had just completed working out and let the dog out.  I heard the distinctive sound of a Huey and then spotted it flying towards the south.  I wonder if it was the same one.
View Quote

Sad to hear that, I was expecting to hear they took fire over Hybla Valley or a similar shithole
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Great. Now the USAF is going to do a drive-by in retaliation. The circle of violence will never end.
View Quote

Yeah but when they do it, entire city blocks disappear.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@Nick

@Commando_Guy

@Redfish86
View Quote

IM me your address and I’ll send some soap to wash the hippie off of ya.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Skip the corrupt FBI and let the military fly helos as bait with A-10's flying high and ready dive in and conduct gun runs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Lot's of problems with this story.

1) FBI is requesting public's help yet does not say where the helo was hit in DC or Virginia?
2) Helo was at 1000ft and moving when struck. That's a pretty good shot, not your everyday gang banger with a pistol
3) Helo landed did emergency landing in Mansass which is pretty far from where it took off. Was it struck there?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

1) FBI is requesting public's help yet does not say where the helo was hit in DC or Virginia?
2) Helo was at 1000ft and moving when struck. That's a pretty good shot, not your everyday gang banger with a pistol
3) Helo landed did emergency landing in Mansass which is pretty far from where it took off. Was it struck there?
View Quote

The FBI “dispatched Special Agents and its Evidence Response Team to the Manassas Airport after receiving reports that a helicopter was shot at from the ground nearby,” the FBI’s Washington Field Office said in a statement to McClatchy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#28]
If you get shot at while you're in a Huey, does it just automatically start playing 'Fortunate Son'?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
H
The 1st Helicopter Squadron flies white tops.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/316og-uh1-huey.png

Somebody better enjoy FPMITA prison.

Kharn
View Quote

Some 'tard thought they were shooting at Trump.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Stage run for shooting at the president, Alex Jones is right!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Manassas gonna Manassas.......
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Friend of mine was in the Navy in the early 70s. Sonar operator on a helo. Used to fly low over the Hudson when he was stationed in NJ. He thought he saw rifle flashes from the NJ side and no one believed him. One flight he was glassing the NJ side, saw a flash, felt a "thwap" in the helo, and saw a black male with what he believed to be an SKS running into a door from the roof. When they landed they found a roughly .30 caliber hole in the tail boom and a projectile rattling around inside.
View Quote

Do they believe him now?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you get shot at while you're in a Huey, does it just automatically start playing 'Fortunate Son'?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that a hit was scored means absolutely nothing in reference to the ability of the shooter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick
+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Great. Now the USAF is going to do a drive fly-by in retaliation. The circle of violence will never end.
View Quote

FIFY.

Some farmer mad that it scared his cows?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would be OK with this. Especially in seattle, portland, minneapolis or chicago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Friend of mine was in the Navy in the early 70s. Sonar operator on a helo. Used to fly low over the Hudson when he was stationed in NJ. He thought he saw rifle flashes from the NJ side and no one believed him. One flight he was glassing the NJ side, saw a flash, felt a "thwap" in the helo, and saw a black male with what he believed to be an SKS running into a door from the roof. When they landed they found a roughly .30 caliber hole in the tail boom and a projectile rattling around inside.
View Quote

Uh huh....sure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your Purple Heart will come with a surfboard device.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A hellfire missile costs what, around fifteen grand?

I'm in for $20.

The best life lessons are learned when something blows up on you in spectacular fashion.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I must shamefully admit that, as a kid, I would shoot my BB gun at low flying A-10s.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55995/9E87DB2E-E241-41E6-BBAE-6168F7C738AE_jpe-1543551.JPG
View Quote

I never shot at an aircraft, but Ive sent plenty of high speed things at things I didnt think I could hit, and sometimes even hit them.

My guess is prob just some goof poppin shots thinking no chance of hitting it, and not fully grasping the consequences if they did.

Ill try, but be surprised if they let me link the Jonny Cash I Hung My Head vid.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like a way to push the firearms agenda to the forefront given the upcoming “special session”, and the fact there hasn’t been any major news worthy events in the Commonwealth in months along those lines.
View Quote

Sounds like it.

Hitting a helicopter in flight from the ground with a rifle is... Not quite shooting another bullet midair, but awful fuckin' close. And actually hit someone inside?

Horseshit. I'd say freak accident before intentional attempt to shoot an AF chopper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sad to hear that, I was expecting to hear they took fire over Hybla Valley or a similar shithole
View Quote

My first house here was in hybla valley
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not too far from the area and I've seen the helicopters taking off and landing from the airport in question. I've obviously never attempted this, but even if you waited for takeoff or landing I feel like hitting one with a bullet from any common rifle would be a hell of a shot. Let alone while it's in flight like the article seems to suggest.

I'm really, really curious to see how this one plays out. I feel like the whole story isn't here.
View Quote

Works some of the time. Ask Victor Charlie.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Skip the corrupt FBI and let the military fly helos as bait with A-10's flying high ready dive in and conduct gun runs.
View Quote

Make Pink Teams Great Again
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This actually tells a lot.  We don't speak much of who was responding to Katrina first responders or how we dealt with it either.  American journalism is a joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The article doesn’t say what the helicopter was flying over when they were shot at. Kinda hard to draw any conclusions about motive when there is literally no info other than they were shot at and someone was injured.

This actually tells a lot.  We don't speak much of who was responding to Katrina first responders or how we dealt with it either.  American journalism is a joke.

Journalism died.  All that is left are propagandist.      
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Another news agency reported they were near middleburg when struck. Landed at manassas.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not too far from the area and I've seen the helicopters taking off and landing from the airport in question. I've obviously never attempted this, but even if you waited for takeoff or landing I feel like hitting one with a bullet from any common rifle would be a hell of a shot. Let alone while it's in flight like the article seems to suggest.

I'm really, really curious to see how this one plays out. I feel like the whole story isn't here.
View Quote

the nva and vc shot the hell out them. so its not far fetched.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Depending on the flight profile of the heli, I'm a little impressed they got a hit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top