BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Wild this thread is still going on....

OP i'm still in your corner, you did the right thing. Care to give us an update?

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you Joe Obiden?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now she's upset because she has to sell the house she wanted us to live in - a dream house for us and the kids.
View Quote

Does she have to sell the house quickly because she and her deceased husband made bad financial decisions or does she want to sell for lifestyle or other reasons?

Or is the threat to sell the house yet another tactic to manipulate people so she can get her way?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wild this thread is still going on....

OP i'm still in your corner, you did the right thing. Care to give us an update?

View Quote

Yeah - we sat down and talked about it (a lot) and we both agreed now is not the time to be making any decisions like this - wife agrees 100%.

She spoke to her mom and mom apologized for reacting the way she did.

She also understands where I'm coming from and said she would respect boundaries and on top of that, pay to have a kitchenette built downstairs (large walk out basement would be her space) and even a separate walkway too. And she suggested that too.

In any case, she said we don't have to decide right now - my MIL is not selling the house now - if we decide later that this is something we do want, then we can talk about it, but she's not rushing a decision anymore.

For what it's worth, she's always liked me a lot (to the point that the inside joke in the family was always to blame something on me because my MIL couldn't possibly get upset with me).

So, no, she's not the MIL from hell by any means - the issue for me is really more the unknown about how it may change things for our family. And as I mentioned before, she was a little controlling with me FIL and my wife actually totally agrees with me and said she would never allow her mom to be like that with us. No, I'm not just suddenly saying "let's do it!", but these are the things we've been talking about.

Financially, it's an absolute no brainer and the girls (3 and 6) especially would benefit greatly from this (not that they live a bad life now - far from it). We'd be able to save $$$ comfortably for all things, including college - that part of it is a no brainer.

Maybe it won't be as bad as I think it's going to be and my ego is getting the better of me?

I really don't know and I don't think I will know for a little while yet.

I definitely need more time to think about this all - it's just such a big change.

Thankfully, everyone seems to have calmed down and agrees that waiting to consider this is the right thing to do - it's enough just grieving my FIL's death still.

My head is still just going back and forth - "this is a good idea" "this is a bad idea"

At least my MIL has agreed that it IS a big thing to consider and is willing to let everyone chill for now and discuss it later.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Good deal man, glad to hear it! Take your time, it's a big decision. And it may be that you choose to move to that house later on, but the important thing is that it will be a well-thought out decision that comes from a place of strength on your part, and not a knee-jerk move based on despair and desperation. Everybody needs time to mourn and to start the healing process.

Once again, prayers for you and family brother.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats you're fucked no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Congrats you're fucked no matter what you do.
View Quote

How is he fucked?

I would say just the opposite, he has a home, a wife, two wonderful children and does well enough for them that he doesn't need to take a free house, dude is living the dream, no matter what happens or what he decides to do, he still wins.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess it's my turn to do one of these...

My father-in-law passed away 4 weeks ago and now my mother-in-law wants us to move in with her. My wife is onboard - I am not.

We (my wife and I are both 39) currently live in a twin (have so since 2015) and our goal is to find a single family home with some more yard space for our two girls (3 and 6) and our dog. We actually love our twin - it's easy to take care of and we have everything set up the way we want it. We also have great neighbors and the neighborhood itself is great. We still want a single family, but are perfectly content waiting until we either A.) Have more money/equity in our current home and/or B.) The right opportunity presents itself. And here lies the problem - that opportunity (in my wife and mother-in-law's mind) has now presented itself...

Her parents have always talked about us buying their house one day because they know that's our goal - a single family. And the market has been terrible for buyers so us buying their house (to them) would be a no brainer. It's a gorgeous large single family home with a big yard in an even nicer neighborhood. 3 car garage and house is completely turn-key - it's a gorgeous property. The best part is that we would have no mortgage because it would basically be gifted to us (yes, I know there are taxes involved in that process). All of that is a no-brainer, right? Well, it is to my wife and MIL.

4 weeks ago, my father-in-law passed away at 73 - he beat Leukemia with a stem-cell transplant, but it weakened him so badly that during the stem-cell recovery, an infection caused him to go down hill and he never recovered.

We're all devastated (he was a great man). And within days of his passing my MIL tells my wife she wants to sell the house, that is, unless we want to take it, provided she lives downstairs (they have a suite downstairs).

For a lot of reasons, it's a great idea - financially it's a no-brainer and we'd have a single family house in a dream neighborhood and the girls would have space, our dog, etc - we'd even have a babysitter there 24/7 for the girls.

For a long time, I thought "Yes, this will be great."

Now that it's here I've realized I cannot live in the same house as my mother-in-law - our marriage will now no longer be the two of us, but now my myself, my wife, and her mother. I don't think I REALLY thought about how that would change our family dynamic until now - when it's here and a decision needs to be made. Even with my MIL living downstairs, the dynamic that currently exists between my wife and children - it will be forever changed with her mother living in the same house.

I've always been somebody who says Yes because I want to please people and not hurt peoples feelings, but this is a hill I am willing to die on - I will not sacrifice my own happiness just to make my wife and more importantly my now widowed MIL feel better after losing my FIL.

My wife is really upset because she says I'm making her choose between her husband and her mother - I lost my cool when she said that and said, "So, who's it going to be - me or your mother?!"

What really bothers me is that this is the last thing I wanted to speak up about literally 4 weeks after her Dad died - everyone should be focusing on grieving. The problem is that her mom is pushing the shit out of this (party because I think she's super depressed and lonely and is thinking irrationally because of just losing her husband). The last thing I wanted to do is tell me wife "No" right now - just weeks after her Dad died - she has enough on her mind. But two days ago, my MIL told me wife (who told me) that we "should sell her house now because it's a good time to sell" - that's when I lost it and said (in my head) now is the time to speak up about this.

I will not (no matter how great the house is or how great it would be financially) completely alter my family dynamic and my own sanity by doing this. None of that is more important to me than my wife and kids and I refuse to change my life and our family dynamic because they think it's a good move.

Am I the asshole?

----------------------------------

UPDATE:

My wife spoke to her mother a little while ago and told her how I felt about it.

She's pissed and said the house is now off the table - she's selling and will find someplace to live. She was real short with my wife and didn't say a word when she left her house. Just said, "Fine - leave."

She was the one who forced a decision to be made less than 4 weeks after my FIL's death - I spoke up (for probably one of the few times in my life ever) and said I cannot do it - certainly not now.

But now I'm a huge asshole.

View Quote

So you could have bought a house someone wanted you to have, a house you said would be what you want for your family and the hang up was living with your mother in law who wants to sell you a house?

Yeah you’re an asshole and your wife will remind you of how you screwed the pooch by making her choose between her mother and her husband.  I would hope you accepted you’re the asshole by now.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top