Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
we  have a old massey harris  at my cabin. i believe made in late 40's
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to get the family tractor home. It's currently sitting at a friend of the family's place. Early 40's Ford model 8N purchased new by my great grandfather.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm trying to get the family tractor home. It's currently sitting at a friend of the family's place. Early 40's Ford model 8N purchased new by my great grandfather.

It's amazing how many people in this thread have mentioned those old 8Ns.  

My granddad collected John Deeres because that is what his dad used and he used.  I don't know how prevalent those Ford tractors were in our area.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Sale is in less than 2 weeks.  

I'm heading up next week to help do some cleaning/prep work for the auction, so if there is anything yall wanted more/better pictures of I can take some before they're gone.

Like I said, we're not selling everything, so while it will be bittersweet to see them gone, we're not selling anything he actually farmed with and we will still have some he restored.  Wish we could keep them all, but storage space isn't there.  

A bittersweet sale deserves a bittersweet song.  My granddad grew up in the Panhandle of Texas during the Dust Bowl, so this song has always tugged at my heart strings in a special way:

Again, thanks for looking and letting me share memories/pictures.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good song--thanks.  I've never heard it before.  It was nice.  

Unfortunately I've only been able to find mediocre, live versions of it on shareable sites like Youtube.

If you can find a recorded version, it's a nicer sounding song.  She does some very nice stuff, though.  If you haven't heard much of her music, it's worth a listen.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I am the fourth generation owner of a 1940 Farmall A. Currently being restored. I'll have almost 5 times what it's worth in it but I don't care. I don't remember my Great Grandfather but I remember my Grandfather and my Dad. I'm doing it for them and my son.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats some great family history

I like to think so.

I've been very fortunate to have such a strong support system and fantastic people to call my blood relatives, and I know how blessed I am to have them.  I'm closer with my first cousins than some of my friends are with their siblings, and very close with my entire extended family.  I'm 26 and married, but still talk to Mom and Dad 3-4 times a week and my grandmother at least 1-2 times a week on the phone.  I couldn't ask for a better example of how to live your life well than my grandfather, who was an inspiration to everyone who knew him, especially his sons and grandson.  Like most farmers have to be, he was bright, hard working, and very positive at all times.  

If I manage to be half the man to my own family that he was to his, I will have done more than any reasonable man can ask for in life.  

Now that I've been sappy, how about some more tractor pictures?

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r481/texaspractical/xphoto066_zpsd940ff88.jpg

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r481/texaspractical/xphoto013copy_zpsbd761919.jpg

Amazing how far technology has come, isn't it?  

Oh, and if you like family history, I'll be posting something soon (probably early next week) you might enjoy.  It is about something I inherited from my grandfather that will NEVER be for sale at any price.  

What's a JD "H"??
Looks like the old "B" I used to ride around on...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's a JD "H"??
Looks like the old "B" I used to ride around on...

I'm not an expert, but I think the H is very similar to the B, designed as a lower horsepower, smaller tractor.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Currently in the Panhandle preparing for the auction.  

There was a record high yesterday, record cold tonight...welcome home, right?

Some more pics:  few tractors already outside:

Seed cleaning machine:

How would you like to harvest corn, one row at a time?

Pallets of misc parts we'll be selling as lots:

Thought y'all would like this model of John Deere:

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Wish I would have seen this sooner.  I love old tractors.  See my archived restoration thread.  The painted tractor in that thread was just delivered to it's new owner 2 weeks ago.  It's going to a collector in Sweden of all places.  If you haven't already, go find a forum called Smokstak and post your auction there.  The forum is totally dedicated to all things old.  Looks like there are some very nice tractors your grandpa fixed there that a lot of those guys would be very interested in.  Especially those JD's.  I'm certain that there are a lot of guys out there that would phone in bids to get some of them.    

Dad and I have a super rare one in the shop now.  A couple hundred of these Case tractors were made with a car engine as an experimental run.  This is only the 3rd one to turn up in the collecting world and Dad and I literally stumbled on it then didn't really want it.   It's also most likely the oldest one of it's model in existence.  It was missing the cylinder jugs and some other parts and we hunted extremely hard to find the parts.  And we found them!  We're gonna try to have this old girl going by the end of August.  She's had a tough life and has quite a story to tell.  

And a few others all belonging to me, my brother, or my Dad.

A little bigger Gibson than your A.

And another 50 more that I probably shouldn't spam your thread with.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s641.photobucket.com/user/likesoldiron/media/Tractor%20shows%202011/IMG_2461.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu140/likesoldiron/Tractor%20shows%202011/IMG_2461.jpg</a>

Very cool to see that!

< Peoria area farmer
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s641.photobucket.com/user/likesoldiron/media/Tractor%20shows%202011/IMG_2461.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu140/likesoldiron/Tractor%20shows%202011/IMG_2461.jpg</a>

Very cool to see that!

< Peoria area farmer

X2, thanks for sharing!  

We've had some neighbors want to put stuff into the sale as well.  Last count I think we're up to 23 restored tractors, 3 unrestored, a few salvage, a couple of 50s pickups (Chevy and studebaker) and a fishing boat.  Ill actually miss that boat quite a bit....had some good fishing trips with Grandpa in it.  Cleaning it out today we did find a tool box/tools that were engraved...belonged to my great grandfather.  Dad is going to hang onto those.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Auction day!  Still about 40 min before we start things.

Decent crowd so far, great weather!  Should be a good sale!

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool thread and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Can't believe I missed this thread!  Awesome stuff!  

After reading it, I can't believe how much I miss my Granddad and Gramma.  Gramma would have been 103 today.  

If anyone in NC is interested, we should have an ARF get together at Old Threshers':  SEOT
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's one on a back road a couple miles from my house:

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome tractors!

Good luck with your sale today.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Nice pic. Looks like an old unstyled John Deere B.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#21]
(Shameless plug) North Texas Antique Tractor and Engine Club (www.north-texas-antique-tractor-and-engine-club.org) is having their 25th annual tractor show and pull in Terrell, TX at the Ben Gill Park on June 8th and 9th. Antique tractor pulling (all classes), threshing demonstration, hay baling, and over 125 antique tractors on display. (Shameless plug)
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
We had a good sale.  

Auction was over by 1:30, just now finished cleaning, helping load tractors, etc.

I'm sunburned and still haven't eaten lunch, but were finally done!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
old tractors make me smile
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm glad it went well.  

Thanks!  It was very bittersweet seeing them loaded up and heading out, and seeing how empty that barn is now.

There were only a couple of tractors that went for bargain prices...if we'd known they'd go for that low we probably would have kept them.....but hindsight is 20/20.  Overall, were still pleased.  Auctioneers claimed folks from 4 states showed up, and we had some phone bidders from places like AZ and IN.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Final update before I let this thread fade away:  my dad put together a video of pics from the auction.

I posted it in team because there is some personal info in a few pics I don't trust GD with.

Link for team
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top