Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Almost 52.  I do 3-4 Olympic distance triathlons each year plus all the training in between.  I cross country ski in the winter.  I am rarely in the doctor’s office except for physicals.  I am active with my kids and feel great.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel 400.

But when I put St. Elmos Fire in my Walkman; I become a living god.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m 58. I wake up with pain, creeks and pops but it gets better as I get moving, usually.

I sometimes forget that I’m well past my physical prime. The next day will hurt.

Just a decade ago the young guys who worked for me used to call me the energizer bunny because I could and would just keep going. Not anymore.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in great shape until I had the car accident (killed my wife & Mom): at age 45. Even after the accident, I was jogging 5-10 miles 3 x week... but there was a lot of pain. I started to abuse Naproxen, which led to bleeding ulcers but worse yet, it started me on the course of kidney disease. Gout, diabetes Type 2, anemia, & stroke (by age 65) followed... all related to that initial accident. This is why I retired at 65, btw. Now, I can barely walk a half mile (age 70).

I'd say things have gone downhill. I'm still in pretty good spirits, though.
View Quote
You sir are a candidate for superhero comeback story of the year. You have my sincere condolences regarding the accident. Please find a way to push through and get active. We need as many cogent and active guys as possible in PRK to vote against all their craziness. Good luck to you and best wishes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
A year ago I still felt like I did in my 20's, then my dog barreled laterally at a full run into my right knee shredding most of the cartilage. Now my knee feels like it belongs to a 70 year-old. I'm sure it will only get worse the older I get.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m 31 in a few weeks and my body hurts from physical labor jobs for the better part of 10 years. along with working on cold concrete floors and being bent over the hood of trucks for 8hrs a day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm 28, best shape of my life.
View Quote
BTDT

Double that age and get back to us.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
40.  Having issues with my right knee and raising a 5 and 8yr old is exhausting
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
51, bulging disk in my neck, 1 surgeon says surgery, 1 says no, left arm is wrecked from the pinched nerve in neck and opioids are the only thing to take the pain down. Insurance denied surgery based on the 1 surgeon saying I dont need surgery and now I'm appealing their decision.

Edit: Surgery would go in from the back of my neck, out 6 weeks, multiple issues from this surgery from dying, blood transfusion, paralyzed and so on, but that is a small % issue....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457930/Screenshot_20191009-133313_Gallery_jpg-1139090.JPG
View Quote
They told me the same thing at 40. My hands were going numb, said I'd be a quadriplegic if I slipped and fell the wrong way. They didn't even want me to drive to the ER to see the MRI results, they were so worried about me.
I spent Valentines Day 2004 on the operating table. Other than some issues shooting more than a few shots at a time from the prone, I've never had any issues from the procedure and am glad that I did it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Between 55 and 60 here and I feel good physically — decent shape from doing trade work.
Only thing I have noticed in the last few years is that I am lazy. If I don’t have to do anything — I won’t, perfectly content  watching my YouTube channels and surfing here and elsewhere. No desire to mix it up in public dealing with a bunch of strangers if I don’t have to
Getting a jump on being a sad shut in
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, getting old does suck but I still enjoy it. Three vertebra fused, a total hip replacement, and nerve damage in one foot. Only three fingers haven't been operated on. Hard work and genetics the main cause but I'm still plugging along. I still manage to find life a joy. I just have to enjoy it differently now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m 28, best shape of my life.
View Quote
Cherish it while you can. It doesn't last forever no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I hold my own.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I turned 63 in August and am finally starting to feel old age creeping up on me. General aches and pains, and my elbows have been killing me for months. That's my fault, though, since I kayak damn near every weekend
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#15]
At 55 I have come to realize I'm certainly no longer in the shape I was in my twenties. That said, I do feel pretty good even with some aches and pains that persist, and I'm in better shape than a lot of people ten years younger. For that matter, I'm in better shape than some half my age, but the young girls still just see me as an old guy. I can still look
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I’m 66. Aches and pains. Knee replacement probably in the future. When I start to feel bad about how I feel, I try to remind myself there are LOTS of other folks in way worse shape than me. Then I consider myself fortunate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Just turned 70 and I'm like an old truck. Glovebox door comes open when you hit a bump, vent window rattles, heater fan makes noise and sometimes it's hard to get started. But it still works pretty good.
I'm really very lucky!
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m 28, best shape of my life.
View Quote
Just wait my friend...just wait...

In High school, played football, track, and occasional  swim team.
During that time went to the gym for atleast 2 hours a day. Back when gyms were gyms and not social clubs and juice bars.

Shortly after graduation continued with they gym, but more for strength and powerlifting I  the 220 class.
Enjoyed it alot.

Now soon to turn 50 and the abuse I did back then, is showing itself now.
In the day of the gym and football, the mindset of I can do anything was great. But it did do damage I see today.

Add a labor I tensive job, that has cost me 2 knee surgeries,  rotator cuff, and distal bicep tendon reconstruction.  Only my right leg is 100% at this point.

Moral of the story..for everything we did when we were young. Has a later effect in life when we are older. At some point you find the "Hold my beer and watch this" turns I to "Hell no, that's gonna hurt, and what about work..I'll be out of a paycheck"..

But back to the original Post.
Yup Aleve is part of life more often than I want. From joints the snap crackle and pop. To sore stiff muscles in the morning..
The fact that I cannot lift things and do things I did 10-15 years ago sucks. But now I still do it, just in a smarter and NOT harder way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Some of the people on Page 1 have already passed away; that's how bad their health was.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
54...down 50 lbs. Feeling great...BUT...got something going on in the back of my right knee. Probably, need to have it checked. Lower back pain all of my adult life, so it's not age related. Been taking my BP meds since I was about 28...so, there's that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Lets just say I now go to doctors for issues to which they can't explain, the MRIs come back normal and they say everything looks fine, its just part of getting old.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm 62.

Doc says it's time for hearing aids, fortunately I can get good ones from the VA because flying the F-4 is what ruined my ears. Not quite ready to actually get it done though. Vanity, I suppose.

Not wearing glasses yet, but getting very close. Optics have replaced irons.

In martial arts classes, I don't pop back up from the mats like I used to. My dad used to tell me, "Enjoy your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone." He was right.

But what I notice most of all is how much my feet hurt. My heels crack very badly, especially in the winter. Nothing seems to help. I have fantasies about soaking them in five-gallon buckets of warm lotion while I'm surfing Arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#23]
It takes a little longer to recover from soreness and stiffness.

I'm a little fatter than I used to be.

My beard is now 40% gray.

Overall, I seem to be holding up pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Look great on the outside.

Disaster on the inside.

Spine shot top to bottom, joints shot.

Guts a mess.

woohoo!
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Not bad...….typical aches and pains.

Nothing major...……….YET!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Counting on Lipitor to keep me stroke and heart attack free. Knees are worn out after age 60. Things could be worse.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Its called alcohol.  It mends the aches.  
View Quote
I like that treatment!

At 63 I am in great shape, if you disregard the heart attack, the GERD, the 4 herniation in my neck, the 5 herniations in my back, the arthritis in my lower back, the misaligned vertebrae in my lower back, the rotator cuff issues in both shoulders, the prostate the size of a grapefruit, the very loud on a good day tinnitus, hearing aids, the hiatal hernia, the insomnia, the going deaf and everything is blurry, crouch down ok but hurts to stay there and forget about getting back up.......... That said, all those are so minor compared to other people I ain't complaining
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#28]
37. Been lifting heavy for 5 years. Best shape of my life by far, and better than most of the young bucks 10-12 years younger than me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

59 next week, extensive collection of MRI films, spine surgeries, cancer, arthritis and nerve damage.
It’s a beautiful morning, I have giant Ibuprofen tablets and I’m taking the dog for our daily 2 mile walk. (It’s not much but it gets the blood flowing)
Keep on keeping on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#30]
72 don't be like it was.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Another old geezer checking in. I’m 76 and have no major issues except fatigue from sleep apnea after not being diagnosed for decades.

I was getting too weak to shoot pistols and was limp wristing so a year ago I started going to the gym 6 days a week and using 14 machines to work out general parts of the body. After two months I realized I was not stiff and sore when I got up every morning. Also it was easier to bend over to put on my socks and shoes. My problems controlling recoil went away. After a few more months I realized I was growing new muscle mass. My arms are much larger than before and are tight. During good weather I walk 5 miles daily, but I’m slow due to my age.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#32]
every time I go see my internist about a new problem, the first thing she says is "You're not 25 anymore".

it seems like illnesses (like bronchitis) take longer to get over.
my shoulder with the repeated torn rotator cuff hurts more often than it doesn't.
weight seems harder to shed.
energy levels are all over the place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#34]
65 years old. Still doing triathlons and getting podium in my age group most races.
Size 32 waist at 5-11 and 175 pounds.
I train about 5 days a week after work. Some days everything hurts. Some days I feel great.
Having good genetics is part of it but being motivated to stay fit and healthy is a huge part of it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I move like the Tin Man when I wake up, gotta get a hot shower to move well, football and construction have taken their toll. I have two after market knees, a skull that's been fractured, I've had two concussions, rotator cuff damaged right shoulder, thrown my back out twice, but, I walk three to four miles 4x a week to stay mobile. I work hard at keeping my weight down. Actually, I get along pretty good for someone who turns 66 next month.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#36]
better actually...got fat in my late 30s and 40s but started cycling and eating better at 50..I'm 54 now and I'm into road, gravel and mountain biking.

rotator cuff could use some work though
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#37]
51 here. Beat stage 3 threat cancer last year. Lifetime of contact sports. Still keeping those rocking abs for the wife. Life's too short to let yourself fall apart.

Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm looking at 66. Doc tells me I'm in the normal range on all my blood work. I'm really really glad I have a small tractor as a helper around my place. No knee or back issues. I doped my new rifle in all the way out to 965 the other day. Ran out of daylight. Considering that I've scored touchdowns, crashed airplanes, ridden bulls and much much more I'm pretty happy with my present condition. I truly am blessed to be able to ENJOY my retirement years. Wife has a few minor issues that are being resolved as we speak. She's a few years younger than me and has NO issue doing anything we choose to do. Yesterday we went to a small town "festival" and made some new friends and saw a lot of folks laughing and smiling. Good day. I hope we have many many more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I move like the Tin Man when I wake up, gotta get a hot shower to move well, football and construction have taken their toll. I have two after market knees, a skull that's been fractured, I've had two concussions, rotator cuff damaged right shoulder, thrown my back out twice, but, I walk three to four miles 4x a week to stay mobile. I work hard at keeping my weight down. Actually, I get along pretty good for someone who turns 66 next month.
View Quote
Hey @GoatBoy posts like this are why I wish there was a like button.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#40]
59 in a few days.  14 yrs in the military, 18 yrs LEO.  Everything hurts.  Bad back.  But generally in good health, not fat, work out moderately.  I should last awhile longer
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Obviously better than I thought.  Everyone last night told me I looked no different at all from 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Better shape than most people half my age, don't take any meds for anything.  Stuff hurts.  18 hour days wear me out unlike in the past.  Nature.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
<---Closing in on 65, and haven't felt this good in 35 years.

I am blessed.
View Quote
61 here, feeling great.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Forty years of being a carpenter has taken its toll on me, I'm over 62 years old and I ache everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Decently.  Sciatica has mysteriously lessened, it's worse when I stand for a long time now,  so I move around as much as I can.

A 60# case of chuck kinda kicked my ass getting it out of the truck though.

Memory is getting bad though,  that worries me most.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Mother Nature will get you as you age, and there is not all that much you can do about it.  Sure, you can watch what you eat, exercise, not drink to excess, not smoke, but you are going to get older if you are fortunate enough to live.  The human body isn't all that much different than a car...if you don't use it, parts rust and deteriorate, if you over use it, rev it too hard, you are going to prematurely wear stuff out.

If you run lots and lots of miles, you will wear out cartilage, but probably have a good cardio system, so there are trade offs.  I am beginning to think that swimming is the closest thing to a perfect exercise, tai chi if you don't like water.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Everyone is different for sure. Stuff hurts more at 61, but I am not stopping getting out here till I just can’t.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Only 33 but 14 years as an automotive tech takes a toll.  Bad knees, rotator cuff problems etc.  Still went to the gym and stayed in shape.

Then i got guillian barre syndrome last month.   26 days in the hospital.  Doing terrible compared to before the illness but better than i was a few weeks ago.  At one point i couldnt roll over in bed and today i pushed my kids stroller for almost 0.7 miles.  I will get back eventually.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#49]
45. Everybody I work with would tell you I move like I’m 30 and don’t look 45. Then I had an accident this spring. Let’s just say I’m not looking forward to 60. Everything I do hurts and PT won’t be the cure all for me. A back that will never heal and knee replacements for the future. Good times
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I am missing some OEM parts I expected to still have in my late 50s
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top