Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The past few years have hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm 67 and have always kept myself in pretty good condition, lifting weights and jogging. When I hit 57, I partially tore an achilles tendon and although it ended my jogging I turned to long distance walking. I did a Bug Out Drill at TIGER Valley when I was 59 and almost finished (a group of us was was brought in from the course when rain and lightning  and ended the day).

It was when I hit 61 and blew out the other Achilles tendon that I began to see a real downward change. Walking always kept my weight under control and without it, I started gaining. Nothing crazy, but definitely an extra ten lbs (I'm 6'3", 250 lbs). Last April at 66, we moved into a new house in a move to downsize. On May 31st, I had a stroke and then in August, I had another. I'm a very fortunate stroke survivor, as I was able to return to work as a security guard full time. I have some numbness in the left side of my mouth and left thumb, but am otherwise okay.

Last week I had a recurrence of my herniated disk from the late 70s when I was playing college football and lifting heavy. I've managed it pretty well over the years, but where I used to be able to lift things using more strength,  the strokes have now changed that. I saw a chiropractor last week and have a follow up appointment tomorrow and hopefully he'll get me some relief from this burning nerve pain shooting through my leg.

Without a doubt, the effects of old age and diminished physical condition have proven to be the biggest shocks of my life, and I'm not dealing it with it real well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I am 43. I lived like a slob from 18 until early this year. I have lost 35 lbs, started working out for the first time since high school, started eating right,  and started TRT. I honestly feel better now than at any point I can remember since my early 20's. It blows my mind what a difference it makes in how I feel and I am kicking myself in the ass for not doing this sooner.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm 50, overall health is good (blood pressure is good, no high cholesterol, etc.) and I still retain some buff from my younger years. Most of my issues are mileage related, two shoulder surgeries already, have a bad left knee (torn meniscus or something that I haven't fixed yet), near vision is going a little (have reading glasses now).

Overall I'm good as long as cancer/heart attack doesn't pop up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck outta here sonny. Geezer thread.https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 28, best shape of my life.
Fuck outta here sonny. Geezer thread.https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gif
+1

GET OFF MY LAWN
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
55 and doing well.

Crushed my T8 vertebrae a few years ago, that slowed me up some. Also damaged my left shoulder. That's not been able to totally heal. I have regular pain from both, but it's manageable. No more Judo though

I work around these issues and still lift 2x week and run on the treadmill 2x week.

Lately I've been getting tendinitis in my feet. I stand on concrete all day at work so now I'm experimenting with different orthotic insoles.

Have high blood pressure but that's under control. I could stand to lose 15 lbs but I like eating garbage.

Overall I'm far better off than the vast majority of my peers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Not bad here.
I'm 63 and I'm in pretty good shape, I'm not over weight and I'm rarely sick.
I still mountain bike ride (in actual mountains...), I hike 5 miles with my dog every other day, and I have no major health issues.
I have quit lifting weights which I really should start again, not to build muscle but just to tone and maintain.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The hardest part is watching your family and friends deteriorate and die. For the first time in my life I am seriously thinking about what I will do and where I will move when they are all gone. Myself, I am in great shape health wise with the exception of some weight to lose. All my blood work is within acceptable guidelines, blood pressure too.

I don’t drink any more, I make sure I get at least 6 hours of sleep, I watch my diet, and have lost a lot of weight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 56 and beging to understand what dad meant when he said "Growing old ain't for sissies."
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m 63. The only prescription medication I take is testosterone. Back hurts if I stand on concrete, but I can backpack with 30-40 lbs for 8-10 miles.
50 mile bike ride is not a problem.
Last checkup everything was normal.
Did have a skin cancer I’ll have removed next week, but overall I’m good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty bad. I have no comfortable positions in which to sleep. Back, both sides, stomach, something different hurts every time I turn over. I’m not sleeping much.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm 63. The only prescription medication I take is testosterone. Back hurts if I stand on concrete, but I can backpack with 30-40 lbs for 8-10 miles.
50 mile bike ride is not a problem.
Last checkup everything was normal.
Did have a skin cancer I'll have removed next week, but overall I'm good.
View Quote
Same/same except I'd probably need a motorcycle to do 50 miles. I walk (fast) 4 or five miles a day, spend a lot of time working with my dog(s), fish more days than not, constantly building/remodeling/maintaining/yard work or something on our two houses.

Only problem I've been having the last couple of years is some arthritis in my neck causing a pinched nerve. If I keep up with my exercises, and do a steroid pack a couple of times a year when it really hurts, I've been able to keep it under control. Working or even looking overhead is what kills me. I won't have surgery unless it gets to the point I can't keep doing what I do now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
To all the younglings on here, once you hit a certain age it's inevitable that you start going downhill. That precise age varies from person to person. A god-like being like Tom Brady may go until he is 60+ before he really starts the decline. While the average basement dweller who is 200 pounds overweight has diabetes before he hits 20.

For me the magic age was 42. Before that I still thought I was indestructible and those who were in pain were weak.  Then it catches up to you. I look in the mirror and I don't even recognize myself anymore. Then I see pictures on Facebook of people who I haven't seen in 20 or 30 years and they all look like I do, Old.

Edit - I hit quote instead of reply. Eyesight is another thing that starts to go with age.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Turned 40 this year.

I've had a life of hard, physical work but I think that's just hardened my body. I workout several times a week, no real recurring pain to speak of and I still heal fast.

6'0 205, 34 waist. I could lose a few pounds but I'm still in good shape compared to probably most guys my age.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
51, bulging disk in my neck, 1 surgeon says surgery, 1 says no, left arm is wrecked from the pinched nerve in neck and opioids are the only thing to take the pain down. Insurance denied surgery based on the 1 surgeon saying I dont need surgery and now I'm appealing their decision.

Edit: Surgery would go in from the back of my neck, out 6 weeks, multiple issues from this surgery from dying, blood transfusion, paralyzed and so on, but that is a small % issue....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457930/Screenshot_20191009-133313_Gallery_jpg-1139090.JPG
View Quote
I feel your pain man. I’m 44 and have 1 bulging and 2 herniated discs in my lower back. Then in Sept my right arm and thumb started going numb after traveling and sleeping in hotels for 2 weeks straight. Went in to see Doc and he said it was likely my neck and ordered an MRI. Just got the results last week. 1 bulging and 2 (newly) herniated discs in my neck now as well. I asked for PT referral as Doc said surgery needs to be the last resort. So 2 bulging and 4 herniated discs, at age 44. As stated earlier, which is true AF and bears repeating:

Hard life or easy we are subject to our genetic dispositions!
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Things that shouldn't be stiff are and things that should be stiff aren't.
And they all hurt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL....."Mah maladies are worse than yours" thread.

Jokes aside getting old just sucks. I'm scheduled this week to have my knee looked at, I really don't want to go but it's bothering me to the point it's having a cascading effect on my back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jokes aside getting old just sucks. I'm scheduled this week to have my knee looked at, I really don't want to go but it's bothering me to the point it's having a cascading effect on my back.
View Quote
What I miss most is not having the flexibility and endurance I had when I was young.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmmm
A life of physical abuse. Not the best diet, 30+ years of construction, farming, atv/dirt bike racing, alcohol, and high stress did some damage. For the last couple of years an extremely good diet of low saturated fats, vegetables and lots of fruit, no alcohol, no added sugars and exercise on top of my already physically demanding job is helping reverse it. Going on 48 and starting to be of the best shape in my adult life...at least from 30 on. You can stay in pretty good shape in the second part of life but you have to earn it. No alcohol, sugars, and juicy red fatty meats. It’s weird to think that exercise can really help with a lot of the aches and pains from over use but I’m a believer. My biggest obstacle is the stress, some brains just have a harder time shaking it and its a big killer, and aging agent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#19]
50 here. I hurt every day, all day. Part of it is because of wear and tear:

6 years USMC.

9 years working at a sawmill.

9 years USPS walking 10 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, going up and down 1500-2000 stairs a day carrying 20-30 pounds of mail and parcels.

2 years USPS sorting/throwing thousands of parcels 4-6 days a week.

Decades of physically active hobbies, hunting, hiking, etc...

Broken bones, hernia, herniated discs, osteoarthritis in most major joints plus C, T, and L verts, hip replacement a year ago and the other eventually.

I eat well, exercise daily, and have a good, loving family, but life sucks.

I see a rheumatologist in a few weeks to rule out fibromyalgia after testing negative for Lupus, RA, Lyme, and everything else they can blood test or image for.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m 37, actually feel better now than at 18. Really just a little less flexible that I need to work on. But I could pass for 25.

Quite a few of my classmates and contemporarys look like shit though. Obese, huge medical issues, aged, etc. I look at them and I’m like WTF are you doing......and you need to stop.

And I have had a few physical jobs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Pushing 50, and I'm in pretty good shape. Probably could lose 10lbs, but I have energy and I eat good.

My knees are kinda wonky, and I have some lingering pains from various injuries, but they're nags not limitations. I can do whatever I want, if I want to bad enough.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm 37, actually feel better now than at 18.
View Quote
That is how I was.  Around 37 was the best days I had.  I turned 40 and things went to shit really fast.  Now at 43 I'm a shadow of my 37 year old self.  Weight won't come off like it used to.  Every injury from any point in life is now noticeable on a daily basis.  I need light to read tiny print.  I'm sore constantly and don't have much energy.  I'm still active and physical but I'm constantly reminded that my body is getting worse.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Was doing really good until about 6 months ago, when I got diagnosed with cancer. It started as type 1, and morphed in
a really aggressive type of lymphoma. Had port placement and bone marrow biopsy done on Thursday, and start
chemo on monday, uh, tomorrow.

58 years old. They say prognosis for this disease is pretty good, but my primary cancer doc at the
VA already let the cat out of the bag. If it is a morphed cancer, like mine is, chances drop to below
30% that anything will help. I am good with that. I led what I consider to be a very productive life
and had a blast doing it. I'll give this a try, but am not expecting it to be much longer.

Can't really think of anyone left around who will miss me. But it's been a helluva ride.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I was pretty rough on my body when I was young. Between football and a military career there have been double digit concussions multiple joint surgeries and broken bones. Add a heart condition that was discovered a couple years ago... I'm going okay. Cold mornings are tough and hikes take twice as long as they used to, but I'll continue to push until they roll me into my grave.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pretty bad. I have no comfortable positions in which to sleep. Back, both sides, stomach, something different hurts every time I turn over. I’m not sleeping much.
View Quote
Right there with ye.

Whats sleep? Exhausted all the time.  Roll like an alligator all night in pain.  Semi awake every 30 min to an hour max.

No idea what to do about it either.  Doesn't matter how or where.

If its not the spine, its the neck, if not the neck its the shoulders due to the neck and back nm the abdomen (no idea why that hurts they can't find a damn thing probably spine related)

Sucks man hope some day something can be done.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ditch carbs comepletly, feel 20 years younger.

Your welcome!
View Quote
He's not making this up. But most of you will never find out what is feels like to have your health improve in middle age.

Eat crap, feel like crap. It is that simple.

You can get away with it to a point, some people that is the 20s, some people get to their 60s, but the standard American diet is a S.A.D. way to live.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank God for the CPAP and low testosterone threads. Doing much better now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Came here to complain.

I feel much better now about myself.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Just turned 40 last month. Other than nasty tennis elbow in my left arm and acid reflux which I've suffered with since my mid 20's I'm still tip top.

But I cross-fit and swim laps almost daily.

Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m beginning to very much appreciate the fact that I never played sports much after elementary school
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#31]
It's kind of weird when neither myself or my wife can call our parents or many of our friends. They are all dead and we are orphans.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Was doing really good until about 6 months ago, when I got diagnosed with cancer. It started as type 1, and morphed in
a really aggressive type of lymphoma. Had port placement and bone marrow biopsy done on Thursday, and start
chemo on monday, uh, tomorrow.

58 years old. They say prognosis for this disease is pretty good, but my primary cancer doc at the
VA already let the cat out of the bag. If it is a morphed cancer, like mine is, chances drop to below
30% that anything will help. I am good with that. I led what I consider to be a very productive life
and had a blast doing it. I'll give this a try, but am not expecting it to be much longer.

Can't really think of anyone left around who will miss me. But it's been a helluva ride.  
View Quote
Hang tough brother, I was stage 4 and not supposed to see anymore birthdays. I’ll (hopefully) have the second birthday since diagnosis next week.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I am 45.  Raced atv's for about 8-9 years from 35 to recent.  Worked out on occasion.    Was in decent shape until about 3 years ago.

Prob 30lbs over weight right now....  Installed about 1000' of pvc conduit yesterday.  My back aches, my knees hurt as well.

I'd say I am holding up great.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty good. Lately just having this pain in m
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Came here to complain.

I feel much better now about myself.
View Quote
LOL....I remember when the guys at the local morning eatery would be talking hunting or fishing and one-upping each other, now those same guys are doing the same thing talking about their maladies.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Not bad.  Some mild arthritis, acid reflux, and bladder issues, and I need bifocals.  I think my hearing is starting to go but I can still watch the TV on low volume so I assume I'm still okay.

I had my heart tested earlier this year, absolutely no sign of coronary heart disease.

I'm doing pretty good for someone my age.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What I miss most is not having the flexibility and endurance I had when I was young.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what I miss is the quick recovery time.......used to be I could play football (playing offense and defense) on the weekends while in HS and recover by Monday, used to be that I could work 10 hour days working construction when I was in my twenties and thirties and get up the next day to do it all again. Hell I mow my modest yard and walk three miles in one day now and I'm beat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Getting old sucks.
View Quote
getting old is for the strong not the weak.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#40]
It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Turning 33 soon. Knees completely jacked from playing baseball (catcher). Everything else seems to be holding up so far. Cant see in the dark very well like I used to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Just turned 46 last month.  Zero prescription meds, still scoring 290 -300 on the APFT depending on the day.  I am, however, fairly beat up.  The big toe on my right foot cracks constantly.  It feels better afterwards but it is painful as hell.  My knees hurt.  It takes me forever to recover from injuries.

Bottom line, I am beat but not beaten.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Using arch supports is going in the wrong direction.

Wear thinner, flat soled shoes with no arch support & enough room for your toes to splay.

Strenghten your feet. Walk, run & spend as much time barefoot as you can.

As for your knees, mine do the same thing, but as long as my legs are strong they don’t hurt. Doing squats with proper form help.

In decent shoes I can walk/work all day, but standing in one place is murder. Certain repetitive use injuries/wear & tear can’t be totally reversed, but you can feel better with a little effort.

If you’re overweight that may be causing trouble as well.

Getting old sucks, but much of it is due to aspects of modern life - stress, poor diet, unnatural footwear, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Almost 59. Eight months recovering from a torn meniscus in my left knee, but it's on the mend.

Six years ago a dermatologist told me my Golden Years were going to be a little rough. Sitting here now with 24 stitches in my right forearm for a melanoma they caught very early, thank God. I'm at well over 100 stitches total, and counting.

Beats the hell out of the alternative!
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Posting to brag a bit.

Age 64 1/2  BP is 124/82. 99% lung capacity. 99 cholesterol. Resting heart at 60 bpm.

I feel great!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Turning 49 in a few months.

Now that I'm on the legal steroids I feel amazing.
Before that, different story entirely. Aches and pains every day.

Go get that Testosterone checked boys. It just might change your life.
View Quote
Low t will definitely make you feel like shit.

There are natural ways to increase testosterone or limit it’s degredation.

Pills or injections should be a LAST resort.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Can't earn a living anymore. I figured I'd still be working at 62. . .multi-level DDD with some permanent nerve damage in the lumbar, lame leg, numb feet/toes, hypertension, Low T, type II diabetes, severe hearing loss, severe cubital tunnel and mild carpal tunnel syndrome, third shoulder surgery in January failed in April, so supraspinatus tendon is detached/useless (not having a so called reverse joint replacement). . .

Pain? As they say, that's not an objective medical finding. I took oxycodone for a while, but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, so I D/C'd it.

I'm doing pretty fucking good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#49]
61 years old and in pretty good shape. 6 years military then 20 years Fed LEO and retired when I was 50. I am not on any prescription medication and have no real aches and pains other than the usual morning stiffness. Never smoked and have always kept my weight in check and I believe those are the main reasons I’m still healthy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#50]
The trick is to make it fun..I joined a bike team that does road/ gravel/mountain. Brewer sponsors everything so there is always beer and backslapping after every event..I rode a 65mi gravel ride a few weeks ago and loved every painful minute of it
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top