Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The strongest I've ever been was 36-39.  I think they start to diminish mid to late 40's.
View Quote

I agree.

Once I hit my mid 40s, I found that it took twice the effort to get half of the result that I did a decade earlier.

And that was a while ago.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Spent my 50th B’day in the hospital getting stents

So 50 for me
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
When I turned 60 I could feel my strength slipping away, before then, I could lift a car if I needed to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 40, and feel as if I may be at the end of the peak. I can't really gain or improve the way I used to. I still work out a good bit, but weights aren't going up like they used to and running times aren't going down.  I hurt more, and more easily.

Though, having a toddler and a 4 month old don't help. Keep me moving and active? Yes, but getting time to work out isn't as easy as it used to be.  I can't do 2 hour trail runs on the weekend like I used to, and workouts need to be more time efficient.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I am over 65 and have been working out since I was 14, I could really start to see some major decline in my late 40's.
My 50s were not bad, but more decline, by my early 60's it was really showing.
At some point, you just need to adjust your workouts to fit your age so you don't keep having injuries.
Now I only use dumbbells and lift lighter weights, I also run and walk.

For those that have not done anything and start back its going to be tough for you, especially if you are over 45.
Don't expect miracles and make sure to adjust your workout to your age, there is no shame in this and it will save your body from injury.
You just need to look at your body and ask how long did it take me to get here and look this bad?
The longer you wait to do something about it the longer it will take to get where you want to be, it will be tough to get rid of that belly fat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Kind of a loaded question.  I've been working out heavily for a while and have never been stronger, I'll be 49 this year.  That said, I am also taking TRT, which is honestly 90% of it lol.  I scaled TRT back a bit and stopped taking it for a month, free T went down to 200 ish... I was weak as fuck, bench went down 25%... Back on TRT, strength back up and growing, still adding muscle mass.  

Stamina - since I don't really do cardio, this is a problem lol.  I need to add this in somehow.  I hate jogging, will most likely be riding my mountain bike and hiking around the woods.  Should help.  But stamina is not what it was, for sure.

ETA - I just read a post about injuries - THIS you have to be careful with at age, especially if you're taking some...supplements... I've hurt my rotator and it's not getting better - overdid it.  Also a problem.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I only started exercising and working out at the gym in my 30s and am wondering if I'm already too late at this point, should've started when I was younger in my 20s instead. Is the 20s the peak of physical strength and stamina for most people?
View Quote

It’s never too late to get in shape. It’s your health that matters, and as you age, being active and being able to bounce back from the inevitable decline better.

Cardio for sure.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
When you forget to deny women your essence.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm 40, and feel as if I may be at the end of the peak. I can't really gain or improve the way I used to. I still work out a good bit, but weights aren't going up like they used to and running times aren't going down.  I hurt more, and more easily.

Though, having a toddler and a 4 month old don't help. Keep me moving and active? Yes, but getting time to work out isn't as easy as it used to be.  I can't do 2 hour trail runs on the weekend like I used to, and workouts need to be more time efficient.
View Quote

You just need to find the right trail or dirt road
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I only started exercising and working out at the gym in my 30s and am wondering if I'm already too late at this point, should've started when I was younger in my 20s instead. Is the 20s the peak of physical strength and stamina for most people?
View Quote
If you're talking about absolute cutting edge top performing peak, yeah mid 20s. As many in this thread have already said you can be in very good shape through your 50s. I was.

Im 67 now and there are very few activities I don't participate in that I once did. Something like skiing is a good example. At best, in my prime I was maybe an average skier. Now, I'm afraid if I were injured I'd be a long time on the mend. I have a cousin who is early 80s that plays tennis (doubles) everyday.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Still playing.  

Last fall I was covering a 28 year old who had played for Georgetown.  He currently owns a CrossFit gym.  That motherfucker.  

Playing reminds me of what I need to do to keep going.

But it also has risk.

At age 50, I was a lax god!
]
View Quote

honestly.  you need to stop doing that.  

you're at the age when you damage something -- its potentially unrecoverable.  like walk with a limp forever...   knee, hip, back, etc.   gotta let the pride take a back seat.  

keep moving?  absolutely.   but try to run with the youngsters?   just say no.

but you'd make a helluva coach !  
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is the 20s the peak of physical strength and stamina for most people?
View Quote

Look at the age people in the Olympics are for your answer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The strongest I've ever been was 36-39.  I think they start to diminish mid to late 40's.
View Quote

This is similar to my experience

That said, I out sprinted most 16-19year olds yesterday.  

You just can't drop off in your stretching and training.  In addition, your post exercise recovery process is crucial.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I work a rotating 12 hour shift. It's horrible for your fitness level. I have two young kids, and I'm just shy of 40.

But-I found out last summer I was allergic to gluten. Cut it out and lost 40lbs in 2 months. I was always strong, now I'm just a lot more cut. My best shape was probably in my early 30s, I had a 1200lb powerlifting total and could still string sub-7 minute miles together.

While I still love hitting big numbers, it's not as important any more. I started Jacked Street a few weeks ago and have been enjoying the change in programming. I often work out late at night and am still at work at 0430. I just ordered Rogue's loadable dumbbells, and they should get here Tuesday. Gym equipment is expensive, but you're investing in yourself, which is one of the best things to invest in.

I throw the mountain bike in the bed of my truck and go do 10-12 miles after a 12 hour shift if the sun has risen/hasn't set yet.

Leonidas led the 300 when he was 60. What's your excuse?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]
When? Yes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm at 71.  Really surprised how much the legs, knees and feet are the first to go, in that order.  Upper body still OK.  Never been a big workout guy but stay reasonably active.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
MMA fighters seem to have more trouble around age 35 when fighting against a similar weight fighter in their 20's.  For males who are not MMA fighters, they might not notice all that much until mid 40's.  

I noticed when I turned 96 years old, my eyesight wasn't quite as sharp, I couldn't hear quite as well, and I had trouble getting it up more than four times in a six hour period..     (just trying to keep the thread somewhat entertaining)
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

20's is probably peak for agility and mind - body coordination. Strength can be built on through your 40's but stamina starts to decline. YMMV depending on genetics.

Me and the wife hiked to Everest Base Camp when we were 55. People in their 20's would blow past us on the trail.

Don't stop though. Use it or lose it. Lack of exercise and strength contributes to a lot of injuries and mobility issues.

Oh and don't eat shitty processed food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#23]
If you find the right doctor or website you don’t have to get weaker as you get older.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I was prettiest in my 20s but I was strongest in my mid 30s
now mid 40s, and I need to be mindful to avoid minor injuries.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
There’s a certain fatalism inherent to the premise of the OP. You may not yet be the strongest you will ever be. Only one way to find out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When I post and it's too short:

https://y.yarn.co/f81b243f-66a8-47e5-9688-70f024602d8e_text.gif

I'm re-charging after the numerous textwalls in the latest "InCeL" thread
View Quote
linky?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
After I turned fifty every year at my annual physical my primary care would ask me if I thought I was slowing down.

Around 54 it was as though I fell off a cliff, every performance metric fell off.

At 57 I had a MI, which freaked everyone out, as people who eat right, exercise and so on are not supposed to have such things happen.

I have had multiple c spine surgeries and rotator cuff repairs and other surgeries.

As others have mentioned injuries take much longer to recover from.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

To me, this is by far the most noticeable difference once you get into your 40s and onwards.

Stuff that you would quickly recover from and just shrug off in your teens and 20s can now take a really long time, and often you NEVER get back to 100%.  Perhaps 90 or 95%.

Like Cinci, I had an injury that just took forever.  Around Thanksgiving of 2021 I strained a biceps tendon.  When it didn't recover properly after about six months of taking it easy, I had to go to physical therapy, and after six months of physical therapy it was definitely better, but still not healed or back to normal.  At this point it's been almost a year and a half, and it's probably at 80-90%, and I have to be really careful when lifting, doing pull-ups, etc..  I imagine it will probably never fully recover, and I will have to be careful with it the rest of my life.  Maybe there's a surgical solution, or maybe it's just something I have to suck up.  There's a lot of "just suck it up" when you get into the 50s.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm 39 and I'm probably in the overall best shape of my life. I'm maybe 10% off of my all-time weight totals, but my cardio is way better.  You just have to focus on diet and sleep a lot more. Diet becomes more important that what you're doing in the gym.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you find the right doctor or website you don't have to get weaker as you get older.
View Quote
i don't want to be dependent on big pharma when the collapse/civil war II/whateva kicks off.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's a certain fatalism inherent to the premise of the OP. You may not yet be the strongest you will ever be. Only one way to find out.
View Quote
"No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten."
 Hunter S. Thompson
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#32]
life is a war against entropy until death occurs.

every period of laziness isnt static but compounds interest in building a fitness debt.  every effort you put in now fights off having to fight back from that hole.  non-effort accelerates the race to ineptitude and death.  

no matter how late you think it is, effort now - every effort, no matter how small - beats later or not at all

i say all that as a former athlete now in his 50s who has built a mortgage of fat around my waist and a cardiovascular system that is taking a lot of effort to build back from.  I will never get my big arms and tree trunk legs back, but if I could tell my 30-something self to keep even a litte more fit and not allow such an effort debt to build up, it would be so much better now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nailed it. I'm not that strong these days but I can curl more than my elbows will tolerate. Body weight pull-ups also trash my elbows. My knees are also garbage at this point. So the weight comes down and you try to make it up on volume.

Bottom line is regardless of age, doing something is always going to be better than doing nothing.
View Quote

Wrong approach IMO.  You need more weight for strength and less volume as you age.  You also have to add more recovery time between workouts.  Suggest you read Barbell Prescription by Jonathan Sullivan MD.  Available at Starting Strength dot com (aasgaardco.com) and Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I would say around 50. When you hit 55 it really becomes noticeable. Almost 60 and I can’t do the stuff I did like I was 55. Stuff wears out yo!

You can still do things, but not near the level you used to. I will say genetics plays a part. If your family is prone to bad knees or weak heart. You might be slowing down a little earlier.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Late 40's heading into your 50's.

If you are training early you'll peak much earlier, but you can maintain for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally nailed down my diet in my early to mid thirties and was performing as well as I did in early twenties but without steroids. I couldn't believe it.

Early 40's and I still do okay but look a lot stronger than I actually am.

Diet really is the most important aspect of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Going from nothing to something reduces your risk for morbidity 3 fold. Movement and diet are genuinely the only things that has that type of preventative impact- no medication, no testing, nothing. Going all out reduces it 5 fold but that’s a discussion for another day.

Keep moving OP. “Do not go quietly into that good night”
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]
From the day you are born, you are slowly dying. It picks up speed after 45. Live accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#39]
My stamina dropped off mid 50's but I now have old man strength.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm in my late 50's and have a half Ironman in seven weeks. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but stamina is still pretty good.

I wish I understood my body in my 20's like I do now.
View Quote
This.

I'm 60, work out pretty much daily and am in as good a shape as I was in my 40s.  I've completed a Murph on Memorial Day the last 4 years in a row. I'm not as strong, or fast as when I was 30 but I'm in better shape that pretty much every one my age.

You just have to use it, or lose it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Let me add …

The first time in my life I figured out how to add strength and mass I was I think 38.

From 38 to 44 I kept on it good.

Then have not been good for about 5 years.

I’m 2 months into getting back at it and results are coming a lot slower now that I’m gonna be 50 this year.

I think I’m gonna double my test for a few months and really push to get it back.  

When you already take a TRT dose each week it’s easy to up the dose for a while.  You just have to manage your E2 is all.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.

There are 2 questions/answers within your question.

1) when is the average male's peak physical potential?

Most competitive powerlifters peak somewhere in their 30s. It takes time to build strength levels.  Unlike losing fat (where people can, and have lost 100+lbs in 12 months), most people will NEVER be able to gain 40lbs of muscle in 12 months (I only personally know 2, who I might believe achieved this without anabolic steroids. They were young - late teens. Basically a combo of growth spurt and hardcore strength training). Testosterone levels tend to decline over 40.

2) can YOU gain strength, improve your physical potential at age XX?

If you never pushed yourself to your physical peak in your 20s - 30s, you can absolutely increase your physical potential by working out. Progress won't be as fast/easy as someone in their teens - 20s, but if you start working out at 60, you'll still be able to see improvements in your physical fitness levels (even without resorting to TRT or steroids).

It's never too late to get in better shape.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's never too late to get in better shape.

View Quote

strong people are harder to kill and are more useful.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Peaked in my late 20s. Around 50 I could feel myself sliding downhill, 55 it really hit. Almost 60 now and fighting to keep it together. I have a 10k run in a few weeks. I am way behind on training.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wrong approach IMO.  You need more weight for strength and less volume as you age.  You also have to add more recovery time between workouts.  Suggest you read Barbell Prescription by Jonathan Sullivan MD.  Available at Starting Strength dot com (aasgaardco.com) and Amazon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it. I'm not that strong these days but I can curl more than my elbows will tolerate. Body weight pull-ups also trash my elbows. My knees are also garbage at this point. So the weight comes down and you try to make it up on volume.

Bottom line is regardless of age, doing something is always going to be better than doing nothing.

Appreciate the input, but I've learned the hard way what my body will and will not tolerate. At 53 years old with 35 years of roofing behind me, there's some things I just don't do anymore. Going heavy is one of them. If I can't put it up 10-12 times, I ain't getting under it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm 45.   I just benched more than I've ever benched.

I am stronger now than when I was in my 20s.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Not 40. i’m in the best shape of my life and i’ve always been athletic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Just turned 68 ,   going to try one more year in my Landscape business .  Need a hip replaced so I'm going to do the Steroid injections and Relief Factor to try to  get through the year .  Definitely do as much as possible from a tractor seat or a ride on SS,  irrigation work still involves hand digging .    Year from now I should be planning an auction ,  been in it 22 years and it's been 8 years since I could quit a part time job .     Sixty was the age when I noticed the decline in energy .
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m sure it varies person to person but generally I think you can achieve your prime in your 30s easily.

Personally I feel stronger now (37 years old) than I did in my 20s however, definitely less stamina. I can lift more now than I could in my 20s but no way I could run as far or fast.

Honestly though I attribute that to my life changes as far as career and kids, I don’t think it’s my age. I just don’t devote the time to cardio that I once did.

All that to say I don’t think you’re past the point you can achieve a high level of fitness at all. Start working towards it and you’ll be amazed what you can do. Yeah you should have started in your 20s but you’re in your 30s and starting now, so go for it! It’s never too late.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#50]
16 to 20 were prime years.  A smaller window of prime at about 24-25.   Then steady until 49.  The last few years have been rough.  My lifts slowly crept down, recovery time is a bummer.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top