Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Never, and since the stroke, and now shooting left handed, and cross eyed dominant, it's starting all over again. Shot today and actually didn't have to work to get the correct eye. LOL
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Like many things, it depends on my company and the shooting decipline.  Its always a work in progress.

Handgun/Carbine:  I'm comfortably proficient and can focus on the things other than shooting.  (Like competing or the movement/tactics of a practical shooting course).  I'm usually middle of the pack at competitions, and on the upper end at classes.  I could comfortably call myself "good".

Precision rifle:  Consistently solid fundamentals are still a work in progress.  I can have fun at the range with my friends who shoot competitively, but I'm focused on the little things while they are shooting the big picture.  I'm not on a competitive level yet.  I'm "functional" but not "good"

Shotgun:  I'm terribad .  My friends wreck me at skeet.  Hunting I'm the "flak tower" friend who ends the day surrounded by hulls with little to show for it

At the public range: lol.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its sorta a skill you need to actually have in the first place... Like drawing, some folks have just a natural gift for it, and they take classes to hone that skill and be come a better artist, but if you can draw for shit to begin with, no amount of glasses or training is going to help you... I think the same goes for shooting... Some folks just are not good at shooting.. I have a good friend thats like this, bow, crossbow, gun, anything he shoots its all over the place, you would think he shoots with his eyes closed sometimes, but he just can not shoot well.... I have another friend on the other hand who will pick up a pistol and pop a running wood chuck at 75-100 yards like its nothing, or take a shot a deer at 3-400 yards with a smoothbore 12 gauge and the deer will just drop.... He rarely shoots and is what a lot of you would consider a "fudd" but give that man a gun, and 98% of the time he will hit what he points that gun at... Im sorta in the middle, I suck at pistols, Im rather decent with a rifle, and very good with a bow however I would only consider my self an average shooter...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never, shooting is a perishable skill.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought I was a good shot.

All my shooting was stationary targets and standing still or rifle on a bench.

Once I shot IDPA , then USPSA, then 3Gun, I realized I sucked at actually using a firearm on any practical ability.

I used to think I could ride my motorcycle really well in Oklahoma, then I moved to Georgia and discovered, I didn’t know shit about actually riding a motorcycle.

Same fucking thing.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think of myself as a great shot, but I rarely miss game when hunting.*
I don't competitive shoot nor am I in a war. That's my yardstick, game.

*Excluding grouse, of course.  Them little fuckers are hard to hit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Perishable skill, you’re never good enough to stop practicing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I consider myself average, but this summer I attended my first Appleseed and got a Rifleman’s patch shooting iron sights. That felt pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I feel I'm in the top 10%. If u go against a competition shooter I'm getting my ass kicked. But in general I'm a pretty damn good shot. If we're talking a human element,  you really don't want to be downrange of me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I work really hard, I train constantly and deliberately, and I think that I kind of suck.   I realize that I’m probably above average but I am certain that I am not gifted any more than I’m gifted by my singing voice or dancing skills. (I have none)
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
When I didn't think I was very good at shooting PRS and then noticed I was outshooting almost all the LE and Mil guys.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]
When you can reliably hit your target.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]

A challenge.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a laser range finder on you at all times as a 7 year old did ya?
View Quote

I guess you never learned to pace distance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When you can reliably hit your target.
View Quote

When people will pay money to watch you hit your target.

When people will pay you to use their guns or ammo to hit your target.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm older than dirt but when I did this 5 shot group at 1012 I knew then that I'd never be good enough to shoot PRS matches. Those guys are unreal. The orange "dot" is about the size of a grapefruit. My pistol work isn't bad but I do need more work on the AR at distance.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Walking the Prize Table, or bringing home trophies.

Most mid-pack shooters are in the top 1% of the gun community.
View Quote

This right here.

Most of the gun community has zero standards of marksmanship or achievement because most people that own guns don't actually shoot them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]
When I hit what I’m trying to hit most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This right here.

Most of the gun community has zero standards of marksmanship or achievement because most people that own guns don't actually shoot them.
View Quote

What's the standards according to you then? what's your definition of an achievement, and how much is most? This site's members? Other sites 2A specific members? People who don't do social media and still shoot?

I think the perceived issues in this discussion are being conflated to be blunt.

I've seen people here treat others as if they've never shot a gun or not much at all, failing to realize that the other person is also another shooter. You will know who doesn't, because often enough they will actually say it or admit this.

Not going to every match at all waking hours, and taking every course available, doesn't mean that they don't actually shoot their guns. Some people are broke, some folk don't have the time because life, job, family commitments, other hobbies conflicting with rare times off, or quite simply put are burned out by their secondary unpaid job.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's the standards according to you then? what's your definition of an achievement, and how much is most? This site's members? Other sites 2A specific members? People who don't do social media and still shoot?

I think the perceived issues in this discussion are being conflated to be blunt.

I've seen people here treat others as if they've never shot a gun or not much at all, failing to realize that the other person is also another shooter. You will know who doesn't, because often enough they will actually say it or admit this.

Not going to every match at all waking hours, and taking every course available, doesn't mean that they don't actually shoot their guns. Some people are broke, some folk don't have the time because life, job, family commitments, other hobbies conflicting with rare times off, or quite simply put are burned out by their secondary unpaid job.
View Quote

I can't speak for others but one of the reasons why I like practical competitive shooting is that it provides an objective standard with which you can measure yourself against others. The dataset is large and easily referenced.  How do you know you're getting better at anything if it's not measured?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I can't speak for others but one of the reasons why I like practical competitive shooting is that it provides an objective standard with which you can measure yourself against others. The dataset is large and easily referenced.  How do you know you're getting better at anything if it's not measured?
View Quote

This is the choir talking to another member of the choir.

I've often asked friends who don't compete even occasionally at all, if they knew where they stood with themselves. I didn't know until I found at. Now I want to keep going back to see if my improvements paid off, or where I still need to be at.

Some folks, like to slap on or bolt things on, and are content never knowing if their kit is crap or not. Going to matches or creating /replicating drills is an eye opener. I've taken friends at night to shoot, and suddenly they become aware that their handheld is not always optimal or their light or the light's mount is crap and falls off because it was never mounted right.

I never knew how inadequate I was until I had taken my first carbine course. Now I make it a point to come back showing that I did indeed learn and have evolved.

But these are just my metrics though, others have theirs and some may even correlate. And I do believe that we have more shooters than just a measly 1%. But I do believe that our community is harsher on everybody than what's necessary or realistic in some aspects, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Depends on what kind of shooting you do...

When I can consistently shoot MOA groups with a rifle/ammo combo I know can do it

When I can keep 'em in a 4" circle at 25 with a pistol and irons (or 2-2.5" with a red dot)

When I can shoot 23+ of 25 on the skeet/trap range

View Quote

Pics or bs
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is the choir talking to another member of the choir.

I've often asked friends who don't compete even occasionally at all, if they knew where they stood with themselves. I didn't know until I found at. Now I want to keep going back to see if my improvements paid off, or where I still need to be at.

Some folks, like to slap on or bolt things on, and are content never knowing if their kit is crap or not. Going to matches or creating /replicating drills is an eye opener. I've taken friends at night to shoot, and suddenly they become aware that their handheld is not always optimal or their light or the light's mount is crap and falls off because it was never mounted right.

I never knew how inadequate I was until I had taken my first carbine course. Now I make it a point to come back showing that I did indeed learn and have evolved.

But these are just my metrics though, others have theirs and some may even correlate. And I do believe that we have more shooters than just a measly 1%. But I do believe that our community is harsher on everybody than what's necessary or realistic in some aspects, IMO.
View Quote

Anecdotally, I've found that there's a lot of gunowners that aren't really interested in the performance aspect of shooting.
If you look at the most popular YouTube gun channels, there's very little of it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
One time at an IDPA match, there was a guy in my squad that was absolutely blazing fast. I remember thinking, Wow that guy is good. Then when we got the match results back, I had beaten him on every stage.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Anecdotally, I've found that there's a lot of gunowners that aren't really interested in the performance aspect of shooting.
If you look at the most popular YouTube gun channels, there's very little of it.
View Quote

Such as? Are we talking about the Mike Jones or 9 Hole Review types who show what the gun being evaluated can do and what a trained shooter using it can along with it along with a recap? Or are we talking about the mindless backyard shooting for fun types like Demolition Matt? Maybe even long range shooters like Erik Cortina who is deadly accurate with a precision rifle yet when using a handgun they fall apart?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Such as? Are we talking about the Mike Jones or 9 Hole Review types who show what the gun being evaluated can do and what a trained shooter using it can along with it along with a recap? Or are we talking about the mindless backyard shooting for fun types like Demolition Matt? Maybe even long range shooters like Erik Cortina who is deadly accurate with a precision rifle yet when using a handgun they fall apart?
View Quote

Most of them here:
https://www.leviathantribe.com/
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Most of them here:
https://www.leviathantribe.com/
View Quote

What am I missing here other than a business trying to promote popular people on YT? I don't get the correlation other than the fallacy that they're "influencers".
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What am I missing here other than a business trying to promote popular people on YT? I don't get the correlation other than the fallacy that they're "influencers".
View Quote

These were the biggest YT channels that I was thinking of in my original statement.
I don't think most of these are about here's how to get better at shooting.  And that's OK because I don't think most gunowners are interested in that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel like a god when I take random friends to the range, but I feel like a fucking peasant when I shoot a USPSA match
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sport's Shooting or combat shooting?  Significant difference.  I enjoy USPSA matches, but the A/C zone games would get lots of innocents killed in a HR mission.  Suppressing fire will definitely cause to be at the low end of the ranking game.

I'm confident in my skills based on my various life's adventures and skills, but there is always room for improvement.
View Quote

Jesus Christ.   Posts like this are the reason why misinformation is spread.    Combat and competition (particularly in your HR scenario) are more similar than they are different
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I see all kinds of holes in my shooting and don't consider myself particularly good.

BUT I'm a Master class USPSA Carry Optics shooter and placed at 24th of ~150 (3rd A Class, 82%) at my Area Championship. These are reasonably significant accomplishments in the context of USPSA.

So...what's your bar?

View Quote
I'm A Class in Open.  I feel pretty good about myself until I watch the GM's shoot.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

These were the biggest YT channels that I was thinking of in my original statement.
I don't think most of these are about here's how to get better at shooting.  And that's OK because I don't think most gunowners are interested in that.
View Quote

Well thanks for sharing your POV, I disagree but that's okay really.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Between SC & USPSA I’m a 4x GM and I still only see areas in which I need to improve. There are lots of people better than me.
View Quote

Once I realized the wide range of ability that encompasses the GM ranking it blew me away.  The difference between “paper GMs” and national level shooters is about the same disparity of C class to GM
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Walking the Prize Table, or bringing home trophies.

Most mid-pack shooters are in the top 1% of the gun community.
View Quote

I'll go with this. Being in the top five consistently at regional matches and going home with more than I brought was my mark.

Guys who consistently put meat in the freezer and are so good at it that they give it away are every bit as respectable to me.

One thing I'm absolutely sure about - I'd not want either one laying a muzzle in my direction with bad intentions.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Once I realized the wide range of ability that encompasses the GM ranking it blew me away.  The difference between “paper GMs” and national level shooters is about the same disparity of C class to GM
View Quote

There are Paper GM’s that only practice for the classifier, normal GM’s and Super GM’s that train 40-60 hours a week because it’s their full time job. I’m just a normal GM.

The difference is pretty significant in a match setting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#37]
When the rubber trigger nightmares stop, and maybe not even then.

We’re never good enough.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Knowing what shots I can make vs shots I can't make.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I see all kinds of holes in my shooting and don't consider myself particularly good.

BUT I'm a Master class USPSA Carry Optics shooter and placed at 24th of ~150 (3rd A Class, 82%) at my Area Championship. These are reasonably significant accomplishments in the context of USPSA.

So...what's your bar?

View Quote

Hit everything I aim at while it’s running…………..
Coyotes
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Good?  Maybe not. Good enough?  Probably.  I had an opportunity to shoot at 300 yards a few months ago, farthest I have ever shot.  I shoot regularly at 200 but that is what I have access to.  Anyway…

8” target, full box of 20 .308, I am happy.  Hit paper on every shot.  Not GD standards, but who ever is?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#41]
It was the moment I hit a high-pressure helium line about 20 feet overhead with my friend's CO2-operated BB pistol.  I thought I was shooting at something that wouldn't be damaged, but I hit that hose dead-center.

THWAP followed by a loud HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....

Dude showed up to repair it in very short time.

Since then I have just shot at soda cans and stuff.  Occasionally some Tannerite.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't think I'm good, but I'm usually better than my friends when we go shooting.  

This past year I spent more time with handguns shooting dot torture and baer drills and practicing draws and double taps.  Just got a shot timer to add to my training.  Always looking for new drills to run to practice reloads or whatever.  

When I can shoot dot torture clean a few times I'll be satisfied.  Then on to the next thing to work on.

I am not good with a shotgun.  While grouse hunting I try not to shoot unless I'm pretty sure I can kill the birds.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#43]
My Father and Grandfather taught me to shoot and hunt and the thing they most emphasized was to never take shots that were sloppy or rushed on game, to always take a careful and ethical shot.
I have done a good job hunting and have a great time when I am out plinking or target shooting I have never competed so I have no clue how I would do in that area.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#44]
when I never fail to down the animal I'm shooting at when hunting.

when I never miss a running coyote.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Never. It’s always about the next shot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#46]
When you have shot, in multiple formats, competitions, etc....

That when you do have to fight in real life, you can make hits that count.

Is one tool to measure...

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Never. But that’s what makes it fun.

I do alright, but guys who shoot a lot of competitions are good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m fine with being in the top 50th percentile.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I feel like a god when I take random friends to the range, but I feel like a fucking peasant when I shoot a USPSA match
View Quote

A uspsa c class shooter is a good shooter compared to the general population!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top