Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/26/2024 10:58:02 AM EDT
Title sums it up.  I'm looking for an electric weed eater.  Preferably battery powered so I don't need to deal with a cord or dragging a generator around behind me.  I've got about 4 acres.  Wife gets mad that I mow around the trees but don't weed eat them, and she has a history of blowing up my good lawn equipment.  So if I get an electric unit she'll do the weed eating.

I know battery powered units have come a LONG way since I last looked at them 10 years ago.  I'm curious what brands or units are recommended as a good value.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been really happy with my 18v Ryobi. Had it for a very long time now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Big fan of EGO.  Have several of their tools, including a string trimmer.  Great stuff.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big fan of EGO.  Have several of their tools, including a string trimmer.  Great stuff.
View Quote

This is the way. I have them and they are solid. Great 2cycle replacements.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
M18 is god mode OPE
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
My Makita 18v works really well.  No complaints whatsoever.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on your trees and landscaping, but no way would I tackle that much acreage with a battery unit. Besides, gas units are way cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
My Black and Decker has been fine for 7 years. Big yard!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my Milwaukee m18 but the 12AH battery gives me about 40 min of heavy weed eating before I have to switch.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Greenworks 60v or 80v
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]
If my 15 year old stihl fs45 ever gives up, I’m going Milwaukee M18 because all my other stuff is Milwaukee.

I Think they are all pretty decent nowadays.

Anything my wife wants to do, she somehow needs my help, with the exception of weed eating. She can fuel it, mix gas, start it AND rewind the head with string. It’s bizarre
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of good option nowadays.

I have the Stihl Combi system with the battery head.  It's very nice.

I also have the Dewalt battery powered trimmer with $25 replacement head.  It's light and powerful.  I use it 95% of the time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm happy with my Dewalt 20/60 volt

I'm not trimming that many acres tho....
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lots of good option nowadays.

I have the Stihl Combi system with the battery head.  It's very nice.

I also have the Dewalt battery powered trimmer with $25 replacement head.  It's light and powerful.  I use it 95% of the time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/Screenshot_2024-05-26_111601_png-3223949.JPG
View Quote

This combo is on sale now for $199 @ Ace.
Attachment Attached File

Another Combo @ Ace
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I also have EGO
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Pick up a few extra batteries
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Got about 3 acres of lawn area I maintain. Been using 40v brushless ryobi for last 2 years, strong enough cut everything, can also run additional attachments. Do make sure whatever you get can take real string and not limited to some 0.85 shit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, are you already invested in battery tools?  Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ryobi?

If so, check out the ones that use your existing batteries.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I got the Greenworks 80v from Costco on sale for $200.00.  As powerful as my echo gas, has a quick feed line refill which is nice. About 30 mins per charge.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for Ego.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I went with Ryobi because I already had the  batteries. Had it for 4 years to trim a half acre. So far so good.
Just don't get the cheapest one. It works but it's too short and your back will end up hurting from leaning down.
Pro tip. Change the battery every time you reload the string no matter what. Otherwise you get into a cycle of stop change battery, stop reload string, stop change battery etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Depending on your trees and landscaping, but no way would I tackle that much acreage with a battery unit. Besides, gas units are way cheaper.
View Quote

At my last house, I had about 4.5 acres, including trees, retaining walls, house, barn, well house, and a perimeter fence all around the property that I trimmed periodically.

My EGO handled it fine.  By the time the battery died, I was ready for a break anyway.  But I did have multiple tools, so I had multiple batteries, so if I felt like continuing, I could just swap and go.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Dewalt 60v, especially if you're into the Dewalt ecosystem.
Their 60v chainsaw is also awesome for occasional tasks.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pick up a few extra tools with batteries
View Quote

Fixed.  

Seriously though, it is the best bang for your buck.  A battery alone is only a little cheaper than a tool with a battery.  Sometimes the same price if you catch a sale.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been happy with my Dewalts.  I have a 60 volt with metal blades for really nasty stuff and a 20 volt for normal usage.  5 acres but I do not weed eat everything every time I mow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#27]
The 40V Ryobi is probably your best overall value.    Plus, re-loading the string is brilliant and easy.

You are going to want at least 40V with a 4 ah battery.

There are good comparison videos on youtube.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Have a Stihl FSA 60 string trimmer that has exceeded all expectations for a cordless garden tool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I got a 20volt Dewalt a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it. Go with whatever brand you already have batteries for.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fixed.  

Seriously though, it is the best bang for your buck.  A battery alone is only a little cheaper than a tool with a battery.  Sometimes the same price if you catch a sale.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have five acres and perhaps 200 trees.   I use an EGO 56V unit.  It uses 0.095 line.   It works well.  I only get about 30 minutes of actual cutting time.  Unit is off walking between trees.   Plus that is the smaller (2.5 AH?) battery.  When it runs out of charge I recharge it and so other yard work.  If it were that important I could buy a 5 AH battery.

Replacing the line is very easy...even a 12 year old could do it.   I am not going back to a gasoline unit.  I will not buy an EV though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same experience here
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going on year 5 with my blower and trimmer with one battery for both.  Still works like the day I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

we have just under 4 acres fenced that I mow and trim. I just replaced my Sthil with milwaukee. Couldn’t be happier.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Ego.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Love my Ego
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP, are you already invested in battery tools?  Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ryobi?

If so, check out the ones that use your existing batteries.
View Quote

I've got a DeWalt drill and impact driver.  And some old Ryobi impact drivers.  That's it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#38]
The M18 one from Milwaukee is great.  My only complaint is that small bits of grass can get into the head and prevent it from spinning to release more string.  There's two Torx screws inside to disassemble and clean the head though, and it takes a little bit for this buildup to occur.  This may have been fixed on newer models.

They're proud of their batteries though, and you're going to want the larger ones.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anything my wife wants to do, she somehow needs my help, with the exception of weed eating. She can fuel it, mix gas, start it AND rewind the head with string. It's bizarre
View Quote

She blew up my Shindaiwa backpack blower running straight gas in it.  So she's restricted from gas powered lawn tools...
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I was already deep into the Dewalt 20v & 60v line, so that's what I went with.

They work great.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

At my last house, I had about 4.5 acres, including trees, retaining walls, house, barn, well house, and a perimeter fence all around the property that I trimmed periodically.

My EGO handled it fine.  By the time the battery died, I was ready for a break anyway.  But I did have multiple tools, so I had multiple batteries, so if I felt like continuing, I could just swap and go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m sure a battery power would work *depending on your specific property*. We have brush and pines to cut. The brush cutter Makita I looked at this week was pretty damn pricey with all the goodies that you need. For roughly half that I bought an Echo. Runs great. Noisy and stinky, but powerful and a ‘recharge’ is only seconds from my mix can.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Ego here. I also use the blower to dry my cars. I have the blower, power head and string trimmer/edger attachments.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have five acres and perhaps 200 trees.   I use an EGO 56V unit.  It uses 0.095 line.   It works well.  I only get about 30 minutes of actual cutting time.  Unit is off walking between trees.   Plus that is the smaller (2.5 AH?) battery.  When it runs out of charge I recharge it and so other yard work.  If it were that important I could buy a 5 AH battery.

Replacing the line is very easy...even a 12 year old could do it.   I am not going back to a gasoline unit.  I will not buy an EV though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cut and trimmed one of my vacant rental homes last week that sits on almost 2 acres. I know I had a solid 1:45 just on the trimmer. Trees, fence line, house, side walks, out buildings, power poles, road frontage etc. I’m sure a battery power would work for many situations. Not mine though. I’m still considering one for my lighter work and for my wife to run it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I've got multiple chainsaws, FS250 brush cutters, a Shindy powerhead with weed eater / brush cutter / edger attachment, etc.  

The electric will be strictly for weed eating around a couple dozen trees and maybe clearing a 40x60 sized area that's too rocky to mow around my storage building.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#45]
If you've already got battery powered hand tools, see if the manufacturer makes a string trimmer. Use batteries you already have.

If you don't, check out each manufacturer and see if they have other useful tools that can use the same batteries. For instance, Ryobi is having sales right now. Their 18V line has something like 300 devices that use the same battery. Not all are tools.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Stihl
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have an EGO trimmer and blower. Happy with both.

Having used Echo & Stihls, a lot, I had low expectaions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#48]
4 acres sounds like a heavy lift for an electric weed eater...

ETA: OP reply clarifies that it is for targeted use.  Maybe it's not that bad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you've already got battery powered hand tools, see if the manufacturer makes a string trimmer. Use batteries you already have.

If you don't, check out each manufacturer and see if they have other useful tools that can use the same batteries. For instance, Ryobi is having sales right now. Their 18V line has something like 300 devices that use the same battery. Not all are tools.

View Quote

Im not a fan of this advice. Yard tools need way more power for longer periods of time than a drill or a nail gun etc.

Keep them seperate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#50]
EGO.  The $300 one with a carbon shaft.

Runs circles around the Sthil it replaced. And I’m done before the Stihl would even be started
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top