Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
They are basically equal as a battle rifle in terms of reliability and combat accuracy
I wouldn’t want a FAL in the desert. The Israelis had to add sand cuts to try and to improve reliability
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FAL

M-14 should have never existed.
View Quote
As much as I like the M-14, it is nothing more than a product improved M-1 Garand.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AR-10.

Just AR-10.
View Quote
Moar beddah than FN-FAL or M-14.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
FAL outclasses the M14 so much, it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Real question is FAL vs G3
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Now I've never shot one, but why do so many here love the FAL and hate the M14? They're both 20-round 7.62 rifles that are basically identical in size and weight.

Is it just a "grass is greener on the other side" and cool pictures from Rhodesia thing?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The M14 is an evolutionary dead end. It was obsolete 10 years before it was fielded
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not really a question at all

FAL
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
M14 ever day all day any time. Best rifle in my time to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ve owned both & prefer the way the FAL shoots. That said, if I lived in a place with extreme weather and climate conditions, I’d probably choose the G3. If a twelve year old Liberian child-soldier can keep one running, then it’s a pretty robust design.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now I've never shot one, but why do so many here love the FAL and hate the M14? They're both 20-round 7.62 rifles that are basically identical in size and weight.

Is it just a "grass is greener on the other side" and cool pictures from Rhodesia thing?
View Quote
Primarily ergonomics and manual of arms, imo.

If you consider them equal in combat accuracy  and reliability then the FAL wins simply by being pistol gripped, thumb selector, left side charging handle and folding stock capable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same argument can be made for the AR and the Mini 14. But the AR is clearly superior, for a number of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
G3 is a shit box
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Accuracy is about the same for both, FAL’s adjustable gas is about the only real plus. Having owned both, it’s pretty even match.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
G3 is a shit box
View Quote
Portuguese wanted the FAL and got the G3 because of cost. They got a limited number of AR-10’s from Dutch production, but very limited.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Moar beddah than FN-FAL or M-14.
View Quote
AR-10 wasn’t a reliable enough platform till recently and even now has issues mostly stemming from a lack of standards.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#18]
FAL

How is this a question?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The M-14 should have been fielded in 1947.  Beretta took 9 months to convert their M-1 Garand machinery to produce the arguably superior to both M-14/FAL rifle the BM-59.  US Army Ordnance dicked around for almost 2 decades before coming up with the M-14.
View Quote
I believe it was culture that resulted in the difference in development between the BM-59 and the M14.

The US wants the bestest the perfect rifle, and tried to perfect the M1, which simply wasn't possible. Also, US Army ordinance was always a fuckup. US army generally has only done well when some genie like Browning or Garand is involved, otherwise they tend to develop crap. Replacing Spencers with Trapdoors.

Italy had the advantage of willing to accept good enough, and also they don't have a gun culture like we do, with everyone being critical of small arms.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How?
View Quote
Well, M14 does have some advantages.

Rotating bolt >> tilting bolt

Personally I think they are pretty much a tie overall.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The "legend" is the result of Vietnam vets who had M16s jam due to the wrong ammo, who wanted the M14s they trained with instead for that reason. And due to Highpower shooters from the 70s and 80s, and all of us who grew up reading the nonsense by the "Battle Rifle" pushers of that era.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The FAL is a better fighting rifle, but when it comes to shooting them I prefer the balance, trigger, and overall handling of the M14. The SLR in my collection just feels excessively long and front heavy, unlike an M1 or M14. Maybe an 16" or 18" para would be different.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They are basically equal as a battle rifle in terms of reliability and combat accuracy
I wouldn’t want a FAL in the desert. The Israelis had to add sand cuts to try and to improve reliability
View Quote
The M14 with its open action is even worse. M1/M14 pattern rifles fail mud and sand tests big time. They are pretty much worst case.

AR15 does real well in that. The French MAS-49 does better than most.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
FAL

M-14 should have never existed.
View Quote
It should have been the Garand
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The "legend" is the result of Vietnam vets who had M16s jam due to the wrong ammo, who wanted the M14s they trained with instead for that reason. And due to Highpower shooters from the 70s and 80s, and all of us who grew up reading the nonsense by the "Battle Rifle" pushers of that era.
View Quote
You mean like the stories printed by Chuck Karwan about the crusty old sergeant who would shoot down trees on an LZ with his M14?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same argument can be made for the AR and the Mini 14. But the AR is clearly superior, for a number of reasons.
View Quote
Not really. M14 and FAL are much more similar than Mini and AR.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
G3 is a shit box
View Quote
It is probably the most reliable of that class of rifles. Also probably wins out on intrinsic accuracy as well.

Recoil impulse and the heavy trigger make it much less fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

AR-10 wasn’t a reliable enough platform till recently and even now has issues mostly stemming from a lack of standards.
View Quote
Yeah, the AR10 of today is really a different animal than the other 7.62s, due to its modern development.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#29]
But muh M14 was too good and powerful and the UN made us switch to the 5.56 “poodleshooter” round for political correctness and to help Communism win the Cold War

The M14 is certainly pleasant to shoot but I prefer the FAL for reasons of ergonomics and personal interest. I have some FALs and I might get a well made M14 clone when I get more money. If I had to choose one it’d be the FN

It’s a moot point as AR-10 derivatives have made both obsolete in terms of 7.62 NATO platforms (which are obsolete for general issue anyway)
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, the AR10 of today is really a different animal than the other 7.62s, due to its modern development.
View Quote
Definitely benefited from modern production methods. Better uniformity and more consistent ammo too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You mean like the stories printed by Chuck Karwan about the crusty old sergeant who would shoot down trees on an LZ with his M14?
View Quote
Well, 7.62 does have an advantage shooting through things like trees. Perhaps the only advantage an M14 has over an M16.

But yeah, there was a lot of "battle rifle" nonsense being pushed out in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I fell for it, wish I invested in the AR15 long before I did.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How?
View Quote
They both have good and bad points. I've built and shot both a LOT.

M1a is lighter and handles better. Has fewer parts. Simpler gas system. Sights on the same part of the rifle and are vastly superior to the FAL. Better  trigger. Safety that blocks the hammer but is less desirable in location and manipulation. Ime it is slightly less prone to malfunction.

Accuracy is a wash.

Durability goes to the FAL as does ease of cleaning and maintenance.

Fal is slightly more optics friendly.

Neither is as good for military purposes as the AR.

Either will do anything and everything a civilian would want out of a rifle if only at a weight penalty which is largely academic in anything but eotwawki fantasy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is probably the most reliable of that class of rifles. Also probably wins out on intrinsic accuracy as well.

Recoil impulse and the heavy trigger make it much less fun to shoot.
View Quote
My old Portuguese G3S had a 17lb trigger pull, all grit and stack. It was stupid-reliable and fed everything I could find, though.

I have another local member’s butchered semi-auto trigger pack in my parts box. He sent it off to a guy who’s supposed to be a genius with lowering pull weights and smoothing them out. Instead, there is mostly hammer-follow, 2.5lbs of pull in FIRE, 7lbs on SAFE(yes, it fires on that position), and he was able to make his rifle fire by wiggling the trigger housing. There is so much metal missing from the trigger, sear, and hammer, that only a little spring pressure is holding everything back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Primarily ergonomics and manual of arms, imo.

If you consider them equal in combat accuracy  and reliability then the FAL wins simply by being pistol gripped, thumb selector, left side charging handle and folding stock capable.
View Quote
Pistol grip isn't much of an advantage in and of itself. Rather, if the rifle has an in-line stock, it needs a pistol grip (and higher sight offset).

M14s are folding stock capable.

The FAL no doubt has an edge in reliability since it is more closed. The M14 safety is ambi, so it has that going for it. The FAL has a more in-line stock so better control. I'd give the advantage to the FAL, by a small amount.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They are both good rifles, if you want a full-size .308 magazine fed semi-auto.

Honestly, I think either is a great choice, and so "the best" is going to be more a matter of personal preference and ergonomics, and well as the particular role you need it for.  Obviously the M14 is a more accurate rifle, and perhaps has slightly better slights, but the FAL probably has slightly better ergonomics for a generalist infantry rifle.

Both are longer than they need to be, IMO.

If I was forced to make a choice, I'd probably pick the FAL, but I'd be perfectly happy with either.  
View Quote
That's where I am.

Having shot both, I liked the M14 better, but would be happy with either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Honestly, I think either is a great choice, and so "the best" is going to be more a matter of personal preference and ergonomics, and well as the particular role you need it for.  Obviously the M14 is a more accurate rifle, and perhaps has slightly better slights, but the FAL probably has slightly better ergonomics for a generalist infantry rifle.

If I was forced to make a choice, I'd probably pick the FAL, but I'd be perfectly happy with either.  
View Quote
Pretty much except I would prefer the M-14.  I've got a fair amount of trigger time on the M-14 in competition as part of a Navy Rifle and Pistol Team and I've owned a few M1As over the years.  They've always worked and I could hit what I was shooting at.

Now that I'm a Boomer I need optics.  The only .308 I own now is an 18" AR pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#37]
FAL and it's not even close.

This thread needs more pole!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Beee-yutiful.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Accuracy is a wash.
View Quote
Sort of, that is a 1st order approximation I'd say. It is probably true for rack grade rifles.

The M14 can be made into a true MOA rifle (but not much better), but it doesn't keep that long, it shoots itself lose quickly. Just as the M1 did.

I don't think anyone has a reliable MOA FAL.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd feel rather good with the M14, L1A1, or G3 in my hands in a SHTF scenario.

Best is an opinion.

As a partner, I'd rather have Massad Ayoob with a S&W Model 10 .38 Special vs 98% of fellow LEO's with a Glock 22. Catch my drift?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I want a Scout

M1A Scout Squad Rifle Range 2
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think it is "obvious" the 14 is more accurate.

Match grade M1As are more accurate, but for rack grade rifles it is more a tie. It takes a lot of work to keep M1As shooting well.

I know in the UK they used to shoot FALs out at 1,000 yards, not sure what they did to make them accurate or how much success they had.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of you are seriously on dope.

AR-10 was hugely successful in many places of heavy fighting with less than ideal ammo where few white men dared to tread.

It’s ALWAYS been successful aside from Eagle Arms and Knights Armament, the only real revisions were made in the early 70s.

Its only drawback was the odd for its era charging handle.

The only issues it had were outright sabotage. Anyone else who just used it and kept it lubed had few problems if any.

A lot of this “muh M14” “muh FAL” and “muh G3” boils down to fashion statements and emotions or wanting to be different.

Why do I want a gun with wood, more moving parts, and a lot of personality with the gas valve when I can have something that is accurate, lightweight, and works?

Even 50 years ago AR-10 was the right answer.

Gimme a break with the wolf talk on muh Cold War and muh Rhodesia
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'd feel rather good with the M14, L1A1, or G3 in my hands in a SHTF scenario.

Best is an opinion.

As a partner, I'd rather have Massad Ayoob with a S&W Model 10 .38 Special vs 98% of fellow LEO's with a Glock 22. Catch my drift?
View Quote
Yeah, but the Glock is the better fighting pistol.

It is close to a tie between the rifles you list. Particularly FAL and 14, not much difference. I'd judge the FAL slightly better due to a more sealed action and more in-line stock for faster follow up shots.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
How many high-power matches have been won with a FAL?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I want a 16" FAL with a railed top cover and ACR/ACR style stock.

I don't want to spend the $$ to feed it.
View Quote
@lilMAC25

Let me know the next time you visit your folks.  I could let you shoot one (18" barrel though).  Railed topcover and ACR stock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some of you are seriously on dope.

AR-10 was hugely successful in many places of heavy fighting with less than ideal ammo where few white men dared to tread.

It’s ALWAYS been successful aside from Eagle Arms and Knights Armament, the only real revisions were made in the early 70s.

Its only drawback was the odd for its era charging handle.

The only issues it had were outright sabotage. Anyone else who just used it and kept it lubed had few problems if any.

A lot of this “muh M14” “muh FAL” and “muh G3” boils down to fashion statements and emotions or wanting to be different.

Why do I want a gun with wood, more moving parts, and a lot of personality with the gas valve when I can have something that is accurate, lightweight, and works?

Even 50 years ago AR-10 was the right answer.

Gimme a break with the wolf talk on muh Cold War and muh Rhodesia
View Quote
That's potentially true, but I don't know of hard evidence to support that. What hard data do we have on original AR-10s?

The AR-10 is, in principle, the superior design. But I don't know that is true in practice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no idea. How is that relevant?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
FALs can't compete in Service Rifle.

Brits used FALs a lot in competition, not sure what performance they got, but they were able to get Lee Enfields to shoot real well, so they have some sort of magic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have no idea. How is that relevant?
View Quote
When AR15s began to stomp M1As at the 600 yard line, I took notice. M1As don't own distance, one of the reason "battle rifles" were pushed in the 80s.

Since FALs can't compete in Service Rifle, their lack of success doesn't mean anything. The Brits (and other English speaking nations) used FALs in their version of Highpower, it might be interesting to compare their results to ours with M1As.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top