Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if it’s the best between the two, but I’m grabbing an M14.

Always wanted to try an FAL though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not talking about taking it off safe but putting it on safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can push the safety off with your thumb, then "slide" your thumb off the trigger guard to acquire your shooting grip.  So easy you can do it in the dark.  

I have done it that way hundreds of times- in the "stress" of a competition several times- and never an ND.
I am not talking about taking it off safe but putting it on safe.
If you're in a situation where you don't need to shoot anymore, you can take your time and carefully locate and press in the safety.  I highly doubt our WWII and Korea vets had any trouble in that action.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That looks like a fun stage.  I presume you were allowed to load before embarking on the boat so as to avoid dropping unrecoverable mags.

Are you implying that an M1A couldn't have completed that stage in that time?  Nope.  Was just reinforcing the idea we are discussing field use of the rifles in question.

Your HP score is much better than I'd expect with a FAL- though I suppose match ammo would make a huge difference in that regard.
View Quote
Thanks!  I never tried any expensive ammo with it.  It doesn't like anything over 150gr though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Had FN FALs, HK-91s, M1As, went through basic qualified M-14 (mine had a happy switch available).

No longer have semi auto .30cals too heavy these days.

I like my 6.8 and I'd be happy with a 6.5 Grendel but I am seriously considering a .300 BO pistol.

I like .30 cal .308 but in a light wt bolt action mag fed. 18" barrel.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

South Africa and Nigeria both produced FALs under license from FN.  Nigeria may actually still make them or parts, at least.  Rhodesia produced some parts.

Argentina also made FALs.  Venezuela made at least some parts; it definitely assembled rifles.  Mexico assembled them under license with parts from FN.  Greece manufactured FALs under license.  HK in Germany made some parts.  Israel ended up making most of the parts for its FALs, and there was also some commercial production at some point.  H&R and High Standard also made some FALs under license.  Steyr in Austria made FALs under license.  I've heard that ABNI, the original subcontractor for Entreprise Arms that made its receivers in the early days, made them under license from FN, but I've never been able to confirm that.  Obviously DSA makes them without a license.
View Quote
I  stand slightly corrected.   Steyr did make some under license.  I am pretty sure that, if SA produced domestically, it was done without license.   None of the other players you cite made COMPLETE rifles.

R. Blake Stevens makes no mention of Greece or Nigeria doing domestic production in his three-volume book on the FAL.

I wouldn't really consider the High Standard T48 trials guns to be "volume manufacture" for issue purposes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Nice patch Stimpy!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used both.  The FNFAL is a better main battle rifle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would very much like to clone that rifle. I don't think the DSA version is quite there, and I really need to research FALs more to see what I would need to change out to get it there. I think there are some differences between his rifle and the stock DSA para model.
Of course, that's after I finish my G3K clone and finish up buying everything I need for that and my G3 clone.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_2719_JPG-1314629.jpg
View Quote
I believe DSA was supplying those park rangers with both new rifles and parts packages to refurb their existing rifles. I remember reading an article on the contract.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe DSA was supplying those park rangers with both new rifles and parts packages to refurb their existing rifles. I remember reading an article on the contract.
View Quote
That's what I remembered as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
So you really wanted an AR-10 carbine with FAL stamped on the side? lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Exactly.  WTF, it’s not even a close contest...

People shit all over the AK for having an opening for dirt to get into the action when the safety is off, but the fully exposed bolt on the M1 M14/M1A gets a pass.

The M14 can be made accurate?  Even without it shooting itself loose, the common field conditions/handling will see likely see to it.  Infantry rifles aren’t going from a pelican case to a bench on the range.

If we are talking a modern context (and we are if talking about an “accurized” M14) - then Modularity favors the FAL design, which also means the sights - the BUIS - matter less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FAL

M-14 should have never existed.
Exactly.  WTF, it’s not even a close contest...

People shit all over the AK for having an opening for dirt to get into the action when the safety is off, but the fully exposed bolt on the M1 M14/M1A gets a pass.

The M14 can be made accurate?  Even without it shooting itself loose, the common field conditions/handling will see likely see to it.  Infantry rifles aren’t going from a pelican case to a bench on the range.

If we are talking a modern context (and we are if talking about an “accurized” M14) - then Modularity favors the FAL design, which also means the sights - the BUIS - matter less.
The "modernized" M-14 is still a dumb idea.

To take an M-14 and add parts to try to give it the functionally of an AR-10 rifle but at a heavier weight and more clumsy package.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Uhhhh.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#13]
SCAR17

/thread
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I want that in a 14.5 P&W or 16” barrel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SCAR17

/thread
View Quote
They are unicorns in the field.

I mean I sort-of-want, but apparently those critters don't want to shoot the matches I want to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The field-stripping isn't a hassle with the right top cover (with the nose).  With the scope mount or the DSA covers without the nose, yeah, it's a bit more of a hassle.

Regarding the return springs, DSA's para springs are known to be significantly weaker than the factory spec., which can cause feeding and other issues.  There's only one current producer of in-spec springs, and only on smaller scales.  OEM springs have become very hard to find.
View Quote
McMaster and century spring. You have to do some custom work but my para runs 100%.

Fact remains, though. You're asking less spring to do the same job.

Anyone who has ever taken the recoil spring out of the butt of a FAL can attest to the original engineer's affinity for having enough return spring.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want that in a 14.5 P&W or 16" barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've thought a few times about getting it cut, pinned and welded. But I really need to trade off the A2 sighted lower for a picatinny lower first, because right now it's kinda "yo dawg, I heard you like iron sights..."
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

McMaster and century spring. You have to do some custom work but my para runs 100%.

Fact remains, though. You're asking less spring to do the same job.

Anyone who has ever taken the recoil spring out of the butt of a FAL can attest to the original engineer's affinity for having enough return spring.
View Quote
I've had to take mine out without the proper tool.  So I'm well aware.

One thing I find interesting is how similar the recoil system on the para FAL is to the FN-49.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

One thing I find interesting is how similar the recoil system on the para FAL is to the FN-49.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've thought a few times about getting it cut, pinned and welded. But I really need to trade off the A2 sighted lower for a picatinny lower first, because right now it's kinda "yo dawg, I heard you like iron sights..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m so FAL ignorant that I don’t know what that means.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Honestly, I liked them both about equally
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/WECSOG/springface.jpg
LOL.
FAL is pretty directly descended from the 49. They have a lot of the same features.

I wish I'd kept the 49s I've had. I had no clue they would sky rocket in price.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honestly, I liked them both about equally
View Quote
Same.  For shooting and hitting reliably...gimme a 14....BUT...in a knock down, drag out?  FAL please.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Just recently found out DSA makes polymer FAL mags.. .my body is ready.

My FaL mag stash was 2......dont stone me to death with empty 308 brass fellas
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
The FALs that I have are all quite accurate.

I've owned at least 6 FALs that I can recall and none of them have had vertical stringing either.

I think the accuracy "issue" with the FAL is overblown.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I have owned a bunch of M1-A's, and a few Garands.  Never owned an FAL, but have shot them quite a bit. My humble opinion favors the FAL over the M1-A.  I prefer the recoil of the Garand to the M1-A as it is more of a softer push than the sharper recoil of the M1-A.

I was issued two HK-91's while on a shooting team.  The first one I actually wore out I shot it so much, so they issued me a second one that I did my best to wear out.  The recoil of the HK-91 would make it my last choice between the FAL, M1-A and HK-91.  I perceived that the large and heavy bolt carrier group in the HK-91 creates more recoil than the other two rifles.  But I gotta admit the HK-91 system was super reliable, even if it did beat the hell out of the brass...even when I had the factory brass buffer installed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've owned at least 6 FALs that I can recall and none of them have had vertical stringing either.

View Quote
The FAL has several weak points for accuracy.

Tilting bolt/mag pressure.
Variable locking pressure.
Split reciver with split irons.
Loose rear sight on top of that.

They can be overcome, especially if you use optics. But the other designs dont have these problems to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I think one of the things that clouds people's perception of the FAL design is the fact that almost no one here in recent
times has had the opportunity to use a brand new factory built FAL.

In 2018 I "rescued" an SAR-48 from a local pawn shop.
It was in unfired condition but without the box.

Upper/lower lock up is super tight.
Rear sight nice and tight.
Forged receiver.
Hammer forged chrome lined barrel.

This is the 7th FAL I've owned over the years and the difference in fit and finish is so far above
home brew FALs, and any new DSA. The only FAL I owned before this that was almost as nice was
an L1A1 that Mark Graham / Arizona Response built for me.

Based on my SAR-48 I'd take one like it over a M14 any day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#29]
the soviet trashcan rifle was a better infantry rifle than any of the Cold War battle rifles*

*until the M16 etc was fielded
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Two of the FALs I had...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Lost both in a divorce.

Now I've got my M1A... solely for nostalgia reasons.  The AR platform is my weapon of choice...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They can be overcome, especially if you use optics. But the other designs dont have these problems to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That all sounds great on paper and I've seen all that said on the internut before.

However in the real world I have actually shot a good number of these for accuracy and I can tell you they are accurate rifles. 4moa is a joke. Maybe with a shot out barrel they shoot 4 moa+.

Internet BS is internet BS.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FAL

View Quote
/thread

The M-14 was a monumental turd for 1957. Time has not improved its standing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
/thread

The M-14 was a monumental turd for 1957.
Time has not improved its standing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FAL

/thread

What problems have you had with the ones you've shot/carried?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#34]
FAL no contest
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FAL

/thread

Carried/shot the M-21. Finicky, were not allowed to take it apart. Scopes were cantankerous at best. Discouraged from jumping with it in a M-1950.

For normal Infantry use, its only advantage over the Garand was the detachable magazine and bolt roller. Not a big improvement and even worse when you consider the time and money that went into something that was, at best, an incremental improvement over a 20+ year old design.

For what it was supposed to be, the M-14 should not have seen the light of day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I am a fan of the M14. I don't know what it is but I think they are the sexiest (I didn't say best) rifle ever designed. I feel I must relay this somewhat lengthy story for your amusement:

I went full on PSA for Christmas. 12 y/o daughter, 17 y/o son, wife and myself got new ARs, RDS ect ect. They were cheap but we had to put them together today. Son, wife and I have Sig Romeo 5s daughter has a adjustable scope and bipod. She thinks she's all that today with her new toy.

So I break out the M1A to show her what a true long range rifle looks like. Her instant response. "Wow, that's an old fashion gun." "Did grandpa carry something like that?" "We went to the museum for school a couple months ago and I'm pretty sure they had that gun there."

She was absolutely serious no humor at all. I'm sad.

ETA why aren't the margins working?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top