Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Bic or Bic mini.  I keep a couple around, and I don't smoke.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s hard to disagree.

I have a few Zippos that are always empty, and a few torches that are neat but a little finicky in cold weather.

My favorite torch isn’t made any more. It’s a Brunton Helios. I didn’t know if it would work any more, and I couldn’t hear it or see the flame when tried it last week. It worked. My fingertip blister is evidence.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Bic is king.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my Zippo's but my IMCO triplex lighters are far superior.  For the Bic & other lighters, as the saying goes, quantity is a quality all of its own.  Throw one in every cubby hole & back pack you have & if they didn't get broke, they'll be great.

http://images.buya.com/production/Images/ITEMS/Zbb/08/35/b37c6821469d45a2ac05e56eb7.jpg
View Quote

Those are neat, but will also dry out over time. They are for regular use, just like a zippo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Those are neat, but will also dry out over time. They are for regular use, just like a zippo.
View Quote

I carry a lighter daily not for smoking but to have a lighter.  When I used to carry the IMCO (which I stopped not too long after they went out of business) it would usually last about 3 months before I needed to refill it.  My zippo can usually go a week to 10 days before it needs filled.  That's why that gasket I put on it has been nice since it's lasted over 2 weeks now with that on.  It would be nice if it will last as long as the IMCO, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Make a wind tunnel out if your hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep them in an inside pocket and it's not a problem or just rub them between you hands for a few seconds and it'll warm them up enough too.

Bics are great, cheap enough you can just scatter them everywhere, I did have one explode from the summer heat when stored in my pickup. The only real drawback is they can be a pain to use in the wind.

Make a wind tunnel out if your hand.
You must have missed the fact that I live in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How many people here remember when Bics had wheels to regulate how much butane you got?  They were bitchin' for shooting fire from your mouth.
View Quote
I remember.

If you took the wind screen off you could really turn up the flow. I had one turned up to where it would shoot a 12" flame. I was using it at a Judas Priest concert and it got Rob Halford's attention.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one of these. Exotac Titan Light.

All the awesomeness of a Zippo, none of the evaporating. It's water sealed too.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You must have missed the fact that I live in Wyoming.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#10]
When I smoked, I carried a Zippo but had to make a belt sheath after suffering a couple fluid burns from pocket leaks.  I have to say Bics were pretty good and torches are too easily clogged by not super refined butane.  Wife got me a usb electric and it doesn’t charge anymore, lulz
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple brass Zippos with the Zippo butane insert.  One is the dual jet, the other the single jet.  My experience has been the single jet is the way to go.  Still plenty of fire and it lasts longer on a fill than the dual jet does.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rather than start a new thread.
What's the best Zippo insert?
I carried a Zippo for years, both regular and pipe styles but got sick of messing with the fluid so I've been back to the ol trusty Bics for a while now.

View Quote

I tried the dual-torch butane insert, but it seemed to burn (ha-ha) through fuel really fast. I switched to the single-torch insert, and I use that for cigars. For the pipe, I use a regular Bic, as the torch doesn't seem to work all that well with the pipe.

I had to do the "Zippo adjustment trick" on both inserts to get them to work correctly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd love to say it's the old warhorse we all know & love:

https://i.etsystatic.com/15068995/r/il/6caf8c/3224972873/il_1140xN.3224972873_c64w.jpg

But let's face it, the darn thing is always dry when you go to use it.  Plus, don't fall in the water; it won't work after that w/o being taken apart, fully dried, and then re-filled.

I absolutely love these things for torching my see-gars:

https://s.yimg.com/aah/a-zlighters/visol-hybrid-usb-matte-black-triple-torch-cigar-lighter-7.gif

But they fail on the KISS principle.  And do they leak over time?  I seem to always need to re-fill the cheap one I got.

Frankly, I think the best possible all-around, always-works lighter is, as boring as it is, this:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/136af597-9f8d-424c-97dc-d135d0545133_1.cb3864fd2ad910386cf2e698a6522807.jpeg

They are the Glock of the lighter world: drab, wholly unexciting... and they always work.

What sayeth you, O hivemind?  Anything better?
View Quote

@M1907Sling

Had the Thyrm Zippo case for a few days now and did a couple of submersion tests with and without Zippo insert. Only submerged in a glass of water each time and both times were good to go. Second time (with insert), seen a small, single bubble rise but I believe it was just an air pocket locked by surface tension that finally released. Lit right up. The case is a little awkward in hand due to the locking pawl but otherwise it’s solid.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: With the seal being watertight, I’d say to a fair degree, I think it’ll keep fluid for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#14]
For cigars I only use my 23 yr old zippo it was the first present my girlfriend later wife bought me.
If you use a zippo once a week to light cigars you can keep it wrapped in plastic wrap when not in use and it will last a month in between refills.
For pipe smoking or lighting the grill or wood stove I use a bic.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@M1907Sling

Had the Thyrm Zippo case for a few days now and did a couple of submersion tests with and without Zippo insert. Only submerged in a glass of water each time and both times were good to go. Second time (with insert), seen a small, single bubble rise but I believe it was just an air pocket locked by surface tension that finally released. Lit right up. The case is a little awkward in hand due to the locking pawl but otherwise it's solid.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384478/489CE44D-5FC5-4234-8CC3-A75E1A783120_jpe-2755527.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384478/875A5D60-3952-481E-AEE4-CF68DF3C76EA_jpe-2755530.JPG

ETA: With the seal being watertight, I'd say to a fair degree, I think it'll keep fluid for a long, long time.
View Quote
Hm, thank you for the field report.  I do love my Zippos for the nostalgia; anything to make them more 21st century
relevant is surely welcome.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Windmill JP Windproof, made in Japan, 2mm thick armor aluminum case, lanyard loop, and windproof to 70mph.

Use Newport butane for optimum reliability.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Zippo with a zippo-made butane insert
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ronson from the checkout lane at Walmart.
Refillable butane torch with zippo form factor. Under ten bucks.

Zippos lose fuel. Butane insert for zippo alone costs more than the Ronson and isn't as good.
View Quote

I have two of the Ronsons bought years apart.  Refill them with quality distilled butane and they last a long time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've done the innertube trick it works OK. I like those little inserts, though.

The Exotac cover for a Bic is really nice. I keep it in my hiking day pack. I also got an Exotac Titanlight. Very nice. As far as I can tell, it doesn't leak lighter fuel at all.

Titanlight

I'm also a big fan of the Uco Stormproof matches. They burn like a road flare.

Stormproof

View Quote

I've had the exact opposite experience.  The o-ring keeps the fuel from leaking out, but every time I use it the cap and whole top section are full of fuel and soaked and the reservoir is empty.  I've made sure to use the recommended 2 caps or less of fuel too.  Super frustrating.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Windmill JP Windproof, made in Japan, 2mm thick armor aluminum case, lanyard loop, and windproof to 70mph.

https://i.redd.it/71okwl3qdjj11.jpg

https://i.redd.it/bu4ja56yz2p11.jpg

Use Newport butane for optimum reliability.
View Quote

They’re discontinued.  I had a JP Delta once and it was junk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All this BIC talk, and nary a comment on Djeep unless I missed it. It's like a premium BIC made in France or somewhere fancy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
All this BIC talk, and nary a comment on Djeep unless I missed it. It's like a premium BIC made in France or somewhere fancy.

Quoted:
Djeep master race checking in.

It's all I used back when I smoked.

now i just need something to start the backyard fire, and use a bernz-o-matic torch.

Your post was after his, 12 days later, on the same page though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#22]
All this talk of butane inserts for Zippos had me go grab the Thunderbird insert I have laying around. Fucker still lights up.

Threw it in a Zippo, found out when Zippos is closed, I can still hear it leaking gas. No wonder that bitch was always empty when I tried to use it.

I've still got a can of butane, Zippo brand butane inserts not leak? I like my USB charge electric inserts, but I like FIRE better!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Vertigo Cyclone

Still using the one I bought when I started smoking cigars in 2020. Probably lit $2500 worth of cigars with it and I don’t expect it to die any time soon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:42:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Zippo is the classic.
View Quote

Zippo is to 1911s like Bic is to Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:52:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
10 years ago I would have said Bic, but I've never thrown away so many dead ones as I have recently.

Ive dug old Bics out of creek beds when I was a kid and you could bang the dirt out of them and they'd still light.
View Quote

I don't know. I don't smoke, but a mini Bic is always in my pocket. The current one is about a year old. I just flicked it. It fired up.

The old full size were amazing.

One full sized Bic has been in my tool cabinet at work for 17 years. It was about a year old when it was deposited there. I use it occasionally to light an Oxy-Acetylene torch or to burn a rope end. I X-rayed it a while back with a flashlight. Still has 1/4 of it's fuel. Amazing little device i probably bought for 75 cents almost 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:01:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Zippos are garbage

Bics are for the long run
View Quote

I would not say Zippos are garbage. They are just old tech. I bought a Zippo solely for nostalgia's sake after installing a wood stove in my house. Dad always had Zippos back before he finally quit smoking. I was fascinated by it. Fascination ended after the first time i filled and used it. Lit one fire, but was bone dry for the next attempt. It, spare flints and lighter juice are still in a kitchen cabinet. I light fat wood with a Bic or matches.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zippo is the classic.
 Sadly, I gotta agree with you.  Got two 1911s, building another, but I carry a couple of Blocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#28]
OPNI
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Show me a 50 year old bic, LOL. Show me a bic you can refill, LOL. I haven't bought a new zippo in awhile so maybe their quality isn't what it used to be but the ones I have will out live any of you. Show me a bic that will do that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For cigars I only use my 23 yr old zippo it was the first present my girlfriend later wife bought me.
If you use a zippo once a week to light cigars you can keep it wrapped in plastic wrap when not in use and it will last a month in between refills.
For pipe smoking or lighting the grill or wood stove I use a bic.
View Quote

Why use a Zippo to light a cigar and a Bic for pipes?  I assume you use the Bic for pipes to avoid sucking lighter fluid into the tobacco, and it does the same thing to cigars.  I’ve was told to use a wood match for pipes and cigars.  I used Bics when I smoked cigarettes a long time ago.  I haven’t smoked in a decade+, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I remember.

If you took the wind screen off you could really turn up the flow. I had one turned up to where it would shoot a 12" flame. I was using it at a Judas Priest concert and it got Rob Halford's attention.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many people here remember when Bics had wheels to regulate how much butane you got?  They were bitchin' for shooting fire from your mouth.
I remember.

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Clipper.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42280/IMG_5257-2755107.jpg

Zippo with a pipe insert.  Works great, YMMV.  When I smoked cigarettes, I always had a regular Zippo, just gassed it up every couple days. I've got my Dad's he carried in WWII, once in a while I'll fill it and play around, but I'm scared to lose it so it's a 'safe queen' lighter.
View Quote

Try the soft flame butane insert.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread had me go and get another bic multi-pack.  Dang has everything gone up in price.

It was still 7-8 bucks with the $2 off coupon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157230/BIC_jpeg-2740961.JPGGot a bunch of these from Costa Rica and they are great for lighting all kinds of stuff. Super easy to replace a dead lighter.   Way better than those stupid long childproof ones we get here.

View Quote

Very cool doesn't look like they're available in US anyone have a link??
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I got one of these. Exotac Titan Light.

All the awesomeness of a Zippo, none of the evaporating. It's water sealed too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455361/6ACBD448-0619-4574-B4B3-22042DAA2145_jpe-2741217.JPG
View Quote

Looks like the WW2 German trench lighters I used to carry around growing up.  Grandpa brought a bunch of them back after the war.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why use a Zippo to light a cigar and a Bic for pipes?  I assume you use the Bic for pipes to avoid sucking lighter fluid into the tobacco, and it does the same thing to cigars.  I’ve was told to use a wood match for pipes and cigars.  I used Bics when I smoked cigarettes a long time ago.  I haven’t smoked in a decade+, so YMMV.
View Quote

I use a bic to light pipes to avoid charing the rim of the pipe.
I have tried the pipe insert but did not really like it.
I haven’t had any lighter fluid taste in my cigars and the wife will smoke a cigar as well at the pub we go to, we both use the zippo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#39]
20 dollar case for a 99 cent lighter?

Reminds me back in the day of Larue fan bois buying Larue mounts for their Chinese knockoff scopes.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zippo with a pipe insert.  Works great, YMMV.  When I smoked cigarettes, I always had a regular Zippo, just gassed it up every couple days. I've got my Dad's he carried in WWII, once in a while I'll fill it and play around, but I'm scared to lose it so it's a 'safe queen' lighter.

Just got one today. Seems leak proof, unlike the Thunderbird butane insert it replaces. It also has FIRE so I like it way better than my electric inserts already.

Question now, how long does the fuel last before I refill. I smoke about a pack a day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just got one today. Seems leak proof, unlike the Thunderbird butane insert it replaces. It also has FIRE so I like it way better than my electric inserts already.

Question now, how long does the fuel last before I refill. I smoke about a pack a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably a while. I use it for pipes, and that requires a lot more fire. I fill it once a week, it’s never ran out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Excellent!

I'm also going to send one in for repair on the hinge. I wonder what the lead time is like on that.

Probably a while. I use it for pipes, and that requires a lot more fire. I fill it once a week, it’s never ran out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!

I'm also going to send one in for repair on the hinge. I wonder what the lead time is like on that.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m ashamed of the heathens in this thread who admit to lighting their cigars with liquid fuel lighters.

Ronson Jetlite is the way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’m ashamed of the heathens in this thread who admit to lighting their cigars with liquid fuel lighters.

Ronson Jetlite is the way.
View Quote

I use a Zippo torch insert.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!

Not sure. I’m a dealer, and they’re super cheap. I just replace them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!

Sentimental value with this one, so even though it's a basic as fuck, cheap model, I'm still gonna get it fixed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Zippo with the Zippo dual jet butane insert.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157230/BIC_jpeg-2740961.JPGGot a bunch of these from Costa Rica and they are great for lighting all kinds of stuff. Super easy to replace a dead lighter.   Way better than those stupid long childproof ones we get here.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Sb1cf639b328842e091b263d595271986W/Lighter-Lighter-Stove-Oven-Bic-Handy-Multipurpose-Rechargeable.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Very cool doesn't look like they're available in US anyone have a link??
Maybe try some Latin America grocery store that has an online store or Amazon?  They are amazingly awesome and simple for just lighting random shit, great for fireworks too.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#49]

This thread is going to cost me more money, I love the look of the brass ones, but don't have one.

FUCK!
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Basic bitch Bic.

AINEC
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top