Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I carried my old Gold Cup for a few weeks in 1995 while my Glock 21 was getting repaired under warranty
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
To heavy. Nearly twice the size and weight of a G43X and less capacity.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like 1911's, but... a Hellcat loaded with 13 rounds is around 24-25 oz (full grip). A 1911 Government is 39 oz unloaded.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How is the trigger?

I did not know those existed. This thread may end up costing me ~$1000. (Gun plus slide cut, plus optic).
View Quote

Excellent question

Out of the box it was about 5lbs 10oz

After I'd put a few hundred through it a good friend disassembled the frame.

With a polishing wheel on his Dremel, he just touched up the few spots that showed friction/wear on the factory coating.

Probably only addressed four or five small spots.

After lube and reassembly it's 4.5lbs.  Perfect for carry and 50yd steel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Been  carrying this one of occasionally
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
No.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1911's are for nostalgia and style points.

If you serious about your self defense, you don't carry a 1911
View Quote

If you can't shoot a double from concealment in the A zone at 7 yards under 1.5 seconds or a sub 6 second FAST drills then you're not serious about self defense.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
One stop shot with a good trigger to make that first round count has it's perks, and cartridge selection is easier, not like one needs to have HSTs as even white box winchester JHPs expand magnificently.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really like 1911's, but... a Hellcat loaded with 13 rounds is around 24-25 oz (full grip). A 1911 Government is 39 oz unloaded.
View Quote

My Valkyrie commander in .45 is 28 ounces empty ( 7 + 1 of God’s caliber ).
My Vickers Elite LW Commander is also 28 ounces empty ( 10 + 1 @ 9mm ).
Both are as thin as the Hcat or G43’s
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Excellent question

With a polishing wheel on his Dremel, he just touched up the few spots that showed friction/wear on the factory coating.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the trigger?

I did not know those existed. This thread may end up costing me ~$1000. (Gun plus slide cut, plus optic).

Excellent question

Attachment Attached File

Just kidding, that's about what I expected in a $500 pistol. I would prefer a lighter ~3lbs trigger
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a glock but I really dig my Dan Wesson Commander.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
A few from the Colt commercial stash
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to carry a 1911 once I properly vet them. Our fat fuk governor passed an AWB which included banning pistols with more then 15 rounds, and all I currently own is a glock 17 and 1911s so....
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]
No.

Staccato pistols excepted.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm going to carry a 1911 once I properly vet them. Our fat fuk governor passed an AWB which included banning pistols with more then 15 rounds, and all I currently own is a glock 17 and 1911s so....
View Quote

Can you just use a 15 round Communist Colorado converted magazine in a G17?

Our previous Communist Gov passed a similiar law, but virtually no one follows it. The only thing that has changed is you can't find real mags at big box stores, and you can't buy them on the internet. But they are for sale at all the gun shops.

I feel bad for you guys, and am praying that Justice Thomas will again ride to the rescue of our endangered Constitution.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
It may not be the easiest to carry but it's the best shooter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I love the 1911 and have several Colt Government Models (don't carry them). I just picked up a Tisas 'Stingray' .45 (lightweight commander bobtail) and that thing is a hoot! I can see carrying it. The only other 1911 I ever carried was an SA Ultra Compact V-10. 45 which was surprisingly accurate and the exhaust ports really worked to keep the muzzle down. They also shot 10 jets of flame and sparks about 2 feet in the air so you are going to lose some facial hair if you fire it from the retention position. It wasn't until several years after trading it away that it occurred to me that I could have simply bought a non-ported barrel for it. But a very fun gun to have.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Funny timing for this thread.
I’m a GenXer, usually carry a G19, or 365.

BUT… have found myself carrying my Kimber LW Stainless lately. Milt Sparks is the best 1911 holster, though I have a Bianchi OWB that I like, too.

Wish the belt loops on the Sparks were bigger. I have to use the Bianchi when I wear a ‘real’ belt.
Eight round WC in the gun, 10 rd reload.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing says calm yo fucking tits like a 45 aimed at a squatters balls.

That was the most well behaved he must of been in a decade.

Can confirm.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#21]
2011 for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can confirm.
View Quote

Need more details of this 1911 intimidation!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes Sir,
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUvQkW4B1k
-
DW Valkyrie in .45 ACP with African elephant tusk grip panels and African elephant hide for the holster
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557031/60D6C784-E5DF-47A6-82B1-E142F8133F97-2682063.jpg
And just because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLeIyy2ipps
John Wick. 7 Rounds.
View Quote

In this vein, even Sheryl Crowe knows:

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]
They certainly have the best trigger, hands-down, excellent ergonomics and are a joy to shoot.

But best carry?  Nah.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can confirm.
View Quote

If you are the reason I draw my weapon and you see it. I am likely using it on you.

I don't recommend threatening or intimidating any one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I carried my old Gold Cup for a few weeks in 1995 while my Glock 21 was getting repaired under warranty
View Quote

You’re a brave man.  Does your wife let you stand up when you pee?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:21:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 1911 has performed adequately in the worst combat conditions on the planet.  
Nasty, muddy, mustard gas filled trenches in WW1 against mass raids of Germans? Check.
Banzai charges in jungles, deserts of North Africa, urban combat on both eastern and western front? Check.
In the coldest battles in the high mountains in the Korean War? Check.
In the nastiest jungles in Vietnam? Check.
Multiple special forces? Check.
Still in some police departments? Check.

But this guy thinks the 1911 is inadequate for a raid of overweight mall ninjas in the Scranton Mall.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#29]
A P365XL was my first carry gun, and it’s pretty great for such a tiny package. But this winter I decided to try my Prodigy while it’s easy to conceal under winter clothing, and I love carrying it. Yeah it’s twice as heavy. But it still carries fine AIWB, has full size ergos, and modern capacity with a way better trigger.

I seem to have gotten a good Prodigy, thankfully, and I trust its reliability. Biggest thing though is that it sold me on 2011’s. A Staccato CS or Wilson Combat double stack may be in my future in a couple years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Last year I was debating picking up one of those two pistols for a new EDC. Found a place that had both so I could handle each, one right after the other. The Staccato C2 was the clear winner for me personally.

But, in the end I didn't want to spend quite that much and had a couple reservations about carrying the Staccato; ended up buying an HK P30 and been carrying it since last fall. Very happy with that choice so far.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:22:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Not a boomer

Love my 1911s
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Officers Models used to be wildly unreliable.

View Quote

EGW makes a pretty good fix for that. I swapped out the recoil systems and barrel bushing on both my Colt 1991 Officer’s Models and they now run like a cat with turpentine on its ass.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#33]
They only thing you need to know about 1911s is that everyone carried revolvers for 70 years after they were available. They were THAT unreliable.

Most boomers would be revolver or glock guys, and yes,  they are right about the 1911.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry a RIA BBR 3.10 in the winter months, it is a 10+1 round capacity of man stopping .45ACP, with two back up mags for a total of 31 rounds. Here is a picture of it next to my .40 Shield that I carry in the warmer months.

" />

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Sadly my only 1911. I love it. 5,600 rounds so far with 0 malfunctions. Crazy tight slide/frame fit for a production gun. I’m also a wheel gun connoisseur.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They only thing you need to know about 1911s is that everyone carried revolvers for 70 years after they were available. They were THAT unreliable.

Most boomers would be revolver or glock guys, and yes,  they are right about the 1911.
View Quote

Can you clarify please? Who is right about the 1911?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#37]
"You cannot MAKE a polymer gun that has a soul.  Plastic gun just ain't got no soul." - Youtube Channel Host Sgt 1911.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I love 1911’s in .45 and recall the old boomers recoiling at the thought of 9mm in a 1911!!! I still prefer .45, but my son’s Staccato P is sublime.  I don’t consider the Sig 938 in the same category, but it’s the only 9mm in a pseudo 1911 design.

I carried my DW CBOB for a few years and still do on occasion. I recently added the full size Valor and love it as well. If I do carry them, it’s mostly OWB…

Oh, the boy’s Staccato P he carries for duty/SWAT, he practices his speed reloads on a 100 meter steel silhouette target and "dings" it with every shot; accurate and completely reliable. He did his SWAT training up near Rome, GA and went through 2500 rounds. He had one FTE because he purposely didn't clean it for about 2000 rounds.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#40]
They’re aesthetically pleasing but it’s a stretch to think of them as the ideal carry gun.  But after buying one carry gun plus a spare in case your primary carry is impounded after a shooting, there’s really no reason to buy anything besides a full suite of 1911s.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah.  Full size 1911 is better for carry.
View Quote

does anyone REALLY do that - beyond the first week after getting a permission slip to carry?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nasty, muddy, mustard gas filled trenches in WW1 against mass raids of Germans? Check.
Banzai charges in jungles, deserts of North Africa, urban combat on both eastern and western front? Check.

But this guy thinks the 1911 is inadequate for a raid of overweight mall ninjas in the Scranton Mall.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what each scenario above has in common?

Buddies to back you up when you get a stovepipe....

When I'm by myself, I tend to like to double the ammo capacity, twice the reliability in the same conditions you describe without the length and weight.

I never doubted for a second that in a thread full of 1911 cheerleaders that anyone would agree.

But if your being intellectually honest, you would.

Anyone who knows there going into Harm's way stopped using them years ago. In the world I live in, that's your first clue.
I know, it looks cool when Bosch carries one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#44]
No mention of Para Ordnance ?

Back in the 1990s I had a P-14. All the benefits of .45acp but high capacity too.

Ran it on 180gr homeloads and had almost no malfunctions over a few thousand rounds.

Would have bought another but hard to find now ( an identical one popped up in EE but in .40 ) so I went with a CZ75.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Or you could get a 2011 and give up nothing.
View Quote

I’ve owned a few STI options and competed with them. Wouldn’t mind another but found them heavy/big to carry. Worse than a 1911 to me
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nice stock photo. I remember the shit I got here when I said MARSOC’s decision to go back to the 1911 was such a dumb idea. How did that work out? As far as I know, no DoD entity still uses 1911s. Even the units that could carry whatever they wanted ditched their 1911s as soon as Afghanistan kicked off and they were long gone by the time Iraq started.

Better than nothing I guess, and maybe not bad when you can clean it every night. It’s a Model T; cool and I can appreciate it but far exceeded by effectiveness, reliability and cost by tons of other options.

If you are carrying a 1911 than you are consciously making concessions for the safety of yourself and your family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice stock photo. I remember the shit I got here when I said MARSOC’s decision to go back to the 1911 was such a dumb idea. How did that work out? As far as I know, no DoD entity still uses 1911s. Even the units that could carry whatever they wanted ditched their 1911s as soon as Afghanistan kicked off and they were long gone by the time Iraq started.

Better than nothing I guess, and maybe not bad when you can clean it every night. It’s a Model T; cool and I can appreciate it but far exceeded by effectiveness, reliability and cost by tons of other options.

If you are carrying a 1911 than you are consciously making concessions for the safety of yourself and your family.

Oh horseshit. I have carried a 1911 in some form since 1981. I am a civilian, not a secret operator.

If I can't get through the day with a 1911 and a couple spare mags, I probably shouldn't be there.

Back in the 80's, we used to hear that a 1911 was "an experts gun". More horseshit. It is the easiest pistol to operate and maintain that I have ever touched.

I have never encountered the internet legend of the "1911 that won't run". All of mine are flawless.

Yep, you do have to actually clean them and keep them lubricated....but why wouldn't you dismantle, inspect, and maintain a gun you are staking your life on? Every 32 year old Glock owner brags about never cleaning their gun.

I don't care what the Call of Duty crowd thinks. Call me a boomer, I do not give a fuck. I know what works for me.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Last pistol class I went to 0 1911s. A Larry Vickers class and not one 1911.

One of the firearms trainers I follow on Instagram showed photos of a private class in Wyoming (?) bunch of guys all in cowboy hats carrying 1911s.

Outside of Staccatos they're another "gun hipster" gun like tactical lever guns and combat shotguns.

I like 1911s and have a Sig, Kimber and Springfield besides a bunch of cheap stuff.

I understand the boredom with basically the standardization of a world of Glocks and AR carbines.
View Quote

I think equating "tactical" leverguns and 1911s is a stretch.

I love leverguns. I love hunting with them, putzing around the woods with them and have no doubt they'll perform 100% in those capacities. I also fully understand their weaknesses.

Equating the 2 is disingenuous.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When I'm by myself, I tend to like to double the ammo capacity, twice the reliability in the same conditions you describe without the length and weight.

I never doubted for a second that in a thread full of 1911 cheerleaders that anyone would agree.

Anyone who knows there going into Harm's way stopped using them years ago. In the world I live in, that's your first clue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, if you're being intellectually honest you'd understand how unimportant someone's carry gun has in their ability to defend themselves. As long as someone can shoot it we'll and always has it. 9 rounds vs 15 won't make a difference.

Lol, "the world you live in" oooooo. We've got a bad ass here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm a Gen X guy, but I picked up a $360 Tisas Commander in 9mm and swapped in a .38 Super barrel. Does this mean I'm a Boomer now?

Also, honored to be the custodian of this one:

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, if you're being intellectually honest you'd understand how unimportant someone's carry gun has in their ability to defend themselves. As long as someone can shoot it we'll and always has it. 9 rounds vs 15 won't make a difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot my 10mm 1911 more accurately than my G19 or S&W 915 and just as fast. Or close enough that I can't tell the difference.  Maybe a shot timer could tell.
  I'll take one well aimed round over 15 misses any day. You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.  Folks don't think a single action trigger be like it is but it do.  But that's the world I live in.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top