Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
50 whole yards!?  Haha
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've owned a few STI options and competed with them. Wouldn't mind another but found them heavy/big to carry. Worse than a 1911 to me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or you could get a 2011 and give up nothing.

I've owned a few STI options and competed with them. Wouldn't mind another but found them heavy/big to carry. Worse than a 1911 to me
Staccato C2 or the new CS are both good options to look at. These aren't the old STI comp guns.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh, the boy’s Staccato P he carries for duty/SWAT... GA and went through 2500 rounds. He had one FTE because he purposely didn't clean it for about 2000 rounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh, the boy’s Staccato P he carries for duty/SWAT... GA and went through 2500 rounds. He had one FTE because he purposely didn't clean it for about 2000 rounds.

Yeah, that is about when mine started to act up, but I had failure to lock on an empty slide issue. I literally hosed it out, threw some oil on it, and went back to shooting. I cleaned it when I got home.

Quality built 1911s/2011s will go much longer w/o cleaning than people think. You just need to keep them lubed and use the right lube depending on how tight the pistol is. Grease on your super tight custom blaster isn't a good choice.

does anyone REALLY do that - beyond the first week after getting a permission slip to carry?

I carried a gov't model damn near everyday for 15yrs. It's not THAT heavy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FWIW
NightHawk does make the LadyHawk for smallish hands.
View Quote

My wife was looking at the Nighthawk website - and not at the Ladyhawk.  She asked which one I would prefer - Nighthawk, Wilson, or Les Baer.  Caught me off guard since it’s a long time until Christmas.   I think she’s trying to lay claim to my 365xl.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, that is about when mine started to act up, but I had failure to lock on an empty slide issue. I literally hosed it out, threw some oil on it, and went back to shooting. I cleaned it when I got home.

Quality built 1911s/2011s will go much longer w/o cleaning than people think. You just need to keep them lubed and use the right lube depending on how tight the pistol is. Grease on your super tight custom blaster isn't a good choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the boy's Staccato P he carries for duty/SWAT... GA and went through 2500 rounds. He had one FTE because he purposely didn't clean it for about 2000 rounds.

does anyone REALLY do that - beyond the first week after getting a permission slip to carry?

Aw hell, I carry a full size damn near every day.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They only thing you need to know about 1911s is that everyone carried revolvers for 70 years after they were available. They were THAT unreliable.

Most boomers would be revolver or glock guys, and yes,  they are right about the 1911.
View Quote

Lol yes, so unreliable that it has stayed in service longer than any other handgun around the world, and has grown to have the largest aftermarket of any handgun, possibly any firearm.

Most of the people who are quick to trot out the "1911's are unreliable" line seem to be parroting hearsay from a relatively small window in the design's history where feedramps weren't cut for the relatively primitive hollowpoint designs that were becoming popular.

I think there's also a lot of confirmation bias to justify an individual's choice of one handgun by claiming that others made an inferior decision in their choice of handgun. These are usually the same clowns who tell everybody that they "aren't serious" if they own/carry more than one type of handgun because they for some reason believe it isn't possible to be proficient with more than one type, and/or that the logistics of stocking enough different ammo/mags/repair parts is insurmountable.

They aren't for people who lack the mechanical aptitude to rub a FPS on a stone a few times to fit it, or watch a youtube video to determine whether their extractor is tensioned properly, or to fit one. They aren't for people who are apparently willing to carry a gun they haven't cleaned in a while. And they aren't for people who don't understand that lubrication schedules vary based on the design of the firearm and the environment it's used in. But those are all problems with the user, not the gun.

Lastly, when I think of boomers I tend to think of Glocks, because they became available around the time boomers came of age to buy handguns. This period also coincides with the timeframe in which 1911s were having issues with early JHPs. Not a knock on either boomers or Glocks, but IME Glocks seem to be most preferred among boomers and gen x. 1911s are more of a greatest/silent gen thing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh, I started out carrying the M1911A1 back in the '80s but now carry the G30S.  I will never go back to carrying Ol' Slabsides!  I have more rounds, less weight, better accuracy, and more reliability with my Tupperware gun than I ever did with Browning's baby.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What do you have a 28” waistline?
View Quote

LOL he's definitely stayed in shape!  I looked at that pic and (sadly) thought I cold have put a couple more 1911s and mags on that belt and it would have still been in the front...
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP's next thread will be asking who makes the best quality suspenders.

"I tried running today..."
View Quote

Which is the main reason I stopped carrying mine!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Get both FTW

Attachment Attached File

Capacity, check.
Awesome trigger, check.
Flat shooting, check.

I just wish I had opted for the aluminum frame or C2. It does get a bit heavy occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry the same gun with the same optic and a TLR-7a on the front. That said, I conceal it, but open carry is legal here so I don't have to worry too much about printing or exposing it. If I'm going somewhere that I want deep concealment, it's back to the 43x.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol yes, so unreliable that it has stayed in service longer than any other handgun around the world, and has grown to have the largest aftermarket of any handgun, possibly any firearm.

Most of the people who are quick to trot out the "1911's are unreliable" line seem to be parroting hearsay from a relatively small window in the design's history where feedramps weren't cut for the relatively primitive hollowpoint designs that were becoming popular.

I think there's also a lot of confirmation bias to justify an individual's choice of one handgun by claiming that others made an inferior decision in their choice of handgun. These are usually the same clowns who tell everybody that they "aren't serious" if they own/carry more than one type of handgun because they for some reason believe it isn't possible to be proficient with more than one type, and/or that the logistics of stocking enough different ammo/mags/repair parts is insurmountable.

They aren't for people who lack the mechanical aptitude to rub a FPS on a stone a few times to fit it, or watch a youtube video to determine whether their extractor is tensioned properly, or to fit one. They aren't for people who are apparently willing to carry a gun they haven't cleaned in a while. And they aren't for people who don't understand that lubrication schedules vary based on the design of the firearm ant the environment it's used in. But those are all problems with the user, not the gun.

Lastly, when I think of boomers I tend to think of Glocks, because they became available around the time boomers came of age to buy handguns. This period also coincides with the timeframe in which 1911s were having issues with early JHPs. Not a knock on either boomers or Glocks, but IME Glocks seem to be most preferred among boomers and gen x. 1911s are more of a greatest/silent gen thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They only thing you need to know about 1911s is that everyone carried revolvers for 70 years after they were available. They were THAT unreliable.

Most boomers would be revolver or glock guys, and yes,  they are right about the 1911.

They aren't for people who lack the mechanical aptitude to rub a FPS on a stone a few times to fit it, or watch a youtube video to determine whether their extractor is tensioned properly, or to fit one. They aren't for people who are apparently willing to carry a gun they haven't cleaned in a while. And they aren't for people who don't understand that lubrication schedules vary based on the design of the firearm ant the environment it's used in. But those are all problems with the user, not the gun.

Great post. I'm a Boomer (barely) but didn't warm up to Glocks until the interchangeable back straps.  OTOH, I didn't own a 1911 until about 10 years ago.  My main piece was an S&W 915 for years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Officers Models used to be wildly unreliable.

View Quote

This is what holds me back.  Bought a Colt Officer's Enhanced (series 80) years ago and apparently I paid extra for it to be enhanced with fail.  Complete POS. Ended up getting a boutique locally made Commander sized model.  Turned the Colt into a project gun.  Reverse plug, single port comp and it kinda ran better but nothing like the Commander in reliability.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
They look beautiful in shadowboxes, but their utility is outmatched significantly by modern technology. Still very cool, and the history is awesome. I would love to have a brown Betty, a 1911, and an m1 garand to display and occasionally finger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 Great post. I'm a Boomer (barely) but didn't warm up to Glocks until the interchangeable back straps.  OTOH, I didn't own a 1911 until about 10 years ago.  My main piece was an S&W 915 for years.
View Quote

Another great pistol!

I went from a P239 to a P-01 a couple years ago, after Sig just sort of dropped the P239 all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
112 year old design and it's still getting the job done.
View Quote

Sure after dumping another $1,000 into an already overpriced gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My RIA runs right out of the box. I put a heavy buffer spring and a Shok Buff in because of hot hand loads but that's it. Trigger is sweet and other than a bad factory mag its runs like a top.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have clearly never owned one
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Pistols are fashion accessories for most people.  It really doesn’t matter what it is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I carry the same gun with the same optic and a TLR-7a on the front. That said, I conceal it, but open carry is legal here so I don't have to worry too much about printing or exposing it. If I'm going somewhere that I want deep concealment, it's back to the 43x.
View Quote

I carry appendix and don’t have any problems concealing it. However when I have to tuck my shirt in, it’s a P365 in my front pocket.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, see my post just above. That RIA FS 10mm was $650.00 OTD. That's pretty reasonable.  Tisas blems can be had for $300ish and everybody seems to be happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone under 60 who carries a 1911:

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw a guy in Whole Foods that looked almost exactly like this carrying a 1911 OWB in one of those holsters that only covers the triggerguard lol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Wow, he's literally my twin
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Both of these pistols will shoot lights out at 50 yards,
pick your poison. That's right, 50 yard head shots. The Staccato shoots better for me though.

Fact - most plastic pistols stock triggers suck.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89656/20230120_210026_jpg-2699367.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89656/20230120_201204_jpg-2699369.JPG

pick your poison. That's right, 50 yard head shots. The Staccato shoots better for me though.

View Quote

I like the way you think:
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
 My RIA runs right out of the box. I put a heavy buffer spring and a Shok Buff in because of hot hand loads but that's it. Trigger is sweet and other than a bad factory mag its runs like a top.
View Quote

You're lucky! It's a crap shoot if you get a 1911 out of the box that works 100% of the time. And Im not exaggerating that. I own them and know. But when we had practical shooting classes in Texas in order to get a CHL, guess what gun it was that would have malfunctions and cause a ceasefire at the range. Some proud owners will also call their 1911"reliable" if it works  most of the time, but not 100% of the time. I had somebody at the range once tell me "Yes, my 1911 works great" .Then from 2 shooting booths over I proceeded to watch him fire it and have malfunctions. I don't know why so many gunowners must lie about their gun as if it's their bastard blood son they're defending.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89656/20230120_210026_jpg-2699367.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89656/20230120_201204_jpg-2699369.JPG

View Quote

50yard head shots...wow.  It must be the FlaTec.  #StaccatoLife
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You're lucky! It's a crap shoot if you get a 1911 out of the box that works 100% of the time. And Im not exaggerating that. I own them and know. But when we had practical shooting classes in Texas in order to get a CHL, guess what gun it was that would have malfunctions and cause a ceasefire at the range. Some proud owners will also call their 1911"reliable" if it works  most of the time, but not 100% of the time. I had somebody at the range once tell me "Yes, my 1911 works great" .Then from 2 shooting booths over I proceeded to watch him fire it and have malfunctions. I don't know why so many gunowners must lie about their gun as if it's their bastard blood son they're defending.
View Quote

Fact - every single Colt 1911 or Commander I've purchased ''worked with no issues" right out of the box. At this point that'll be approximately 11 pistols.

It may be very likely the practical class you went to, a lot of them were novices? Maybe you are a novice?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Fact - every single Colt 1911 or Commander I've purchased ''worked with no issues" right out of the box. At this point that'll be approximately 11 pistols.

It may be very likely the practical class you went to, a lot of them were novices? Maybe you are a novice?
View Quote

Yes!!! Talk shit on Aimless!!!!

I’m carrying my 9mm 1911 in condition negative 1 (empty no mag) in a shoulder holster as we speak
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes!!! Talk shit on Aimless!!!!

I’m carrying my 9mm 1911 in condition negative 1 (empty no mag) in a shoulder holster as we speak
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

eta: 45 > 9
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only 1911s I’ve owned that didn’t need some form of tweaking were Dan Wesson. Springfields have always needed something to run right, usually a slide stop and mags on the ,45s, almost always a chamber ramp issue on the 9mms. The one Colt I owned needed the thumb safety reworked by the factory. My Clackamass Kimbers were great, Series II guns all needed work. My one RIA ran fine but lots of sharp corners and needed a trigger job.

Staccatos and Dan Wesson a have been flawless.

The sub $1200 1911/2011 is typically gonna need something fixed if not out of the box, shortly into its life. Dan Wessons and Staccatos not so much. I’ll still buy the , with the intent of fixing the bugs and saving a fair bit. I picked up a Prodigy for my wife for $1275, swapped the disconnector, springs and extractor. It’s a damn nice shooter now. I saved enough over a Staccato that I could customize it to her liking and still be about $600 ahead. You can do the same thing with a Springfield loaded vs a comparable Dan Wesson.

Most people don’t shoot 2 boxes of ammo through a pistol a year. Cheaper 1911s start chocking when they get dirty and hot, IME.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then, I have been lucky twice. I had an ATI Commander, which my son now owns that was also flawless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The 1911 has performed adequately in the worst combat conditions on the planet.  
Nasty, muddy, mustard gas filled trenches in WW1 against mass raids of Germans? Check.
Banzai charges in jungles, deserts of North Africa, urban combat on both eastern and western front? Check.
In the coldest battles in the high mountains in the Korean War? Check.
In the nastiest jungles in Vietnam? Check.
Multiple special forces? Check.
Still in some police departments? Check.

But this guy thinks the 1911 is inadequate for a raid of overweight mall ninjas in the Scranton Mall.

View Quote

“Report on Infantry Weapons in Combat,” gave a brief synopsis on the arms used by a Marine Raider Battalion on New Georgia Island. The segment on the .45 simply stated, “U.S. Pistol, Cal. .45, M1911-M1911A1. Held up very well, but used very little.”

The 1911 makes a great paper weight.

edit: I have one. i enjoy shooting it at the range, or at least I did until it ejected its front sight into another dimension. It is large, the hammer cuts my hand, it is unreliable, but it is fun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

“Report on Infantry Weapons in Combat,” gave a brief synopsis on the arms used by a Marine Raider Battalion on New Georgia Island. The segment on the .45 simply stated, “U.S. Pistol, Cal. .45, M1911-M1911A1. Held up very well, but used very little.”

The 1911 makes a great paper weight.
View Quote

Well yeah, it is a "side arm". 'A Marine and his rifle...' pretty much explains it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Nothing wrong with the 1911, they still get the job done
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My latest, picked up yesterday.  
Ed Brown
https://i.imgur.com/TEGBiUu.jpg
View Quote
Wow!  That gun is beautiful!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I have to back up and ask a question.....as an old guy who has always carried a 1911....is there really a hipster trend to carry them? Jeezuz.

Same goddamned thing happened to me with beards and flannel shirts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have to back up and ask a question.....as an old guy who has always carried a 1911....is there really a hipster trend to carry them? Jeezuz.

View Quote

I’m no skinny hipster Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The only 1911s I’ve owned that didn’t need some form of tweaking were Dan Wesson. Springfields have always needed something to run right, usually a slide stop and mags on the ,45s, almost always a chamber ramp issue on the 9mms. The one Colt I owned needed the thumb safety reworked by the factory. My Clackamass Kimbers were great, Series II guns all needed work. My one RIA ran fine but lots of sharp corners and needed a trigger job.

The sub $1200 1911/2011 is typically gonna need something fixed if not out of the box, shortly into its life. Dan Wessons and Staccatos not so much. I’ll still buy the , with the intent of fixing the bugs and saving a fair bit. I picked up a Prodigy for my wife for $1275, swapped the disconnector, springs and extractor. It’s a damn nice shooter now. I saved enough over a Staccato that I could customize it to her liking and still be about $600 ahead. You can do the same thing with a Springfield loaded vs a comparable Dan Wesson.

Most people don’t shoot 2 boxes of ammo through a pistol a year. Cheaper 1911s start chocking when they get dirty and hot, IME.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been shooting Springfield 1911s since I was 16. 22 years later with 5 guns I've never needed something tweaked beyond dealing with extractors after 10k+ rounds. Or 5 dollar surplus mags.

I'd just as soon trust a brand new Springfield milspec, garrison, Ronin, or loaded as any other handgun.

When I was working at a shop we sold minimal Springfields because my boss had a hard on for Kimber's. People would buy them, then go in the range and complain they couldn't get through a mag or two. We never had that issue with Springfields.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not everyone who carries a 1911 is a hipster, but every hipster who carries chooses a 1911.

Hipsters and, surprisingly, beatniks LOVE 1911s and CZs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know it sucks. Fucking hipsters ruin everything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not everyone who carries a 1911 is a hipster, but every hipster who carries chooses a 1911.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought CZs were the only hipster gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I cut my teeth on 1911s. I LOVED them, still do. However, I noticed that whenever I traveled to someplace where I could only rely on myself to get out of a jam, I always took a Glock with me.
Eventually, I thought about why that was, and I just came to the conclusion that if a Glock was the gun I wanted in a potentially "bad" situation, then I should just be carrying it 24/7.

And I did.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've been shooting Springfield 1911s since I was 16. 22 years later with 5 guns I've never needed something tweaked beyond dealing with extractors after 10k+ rounds. Or 5 dollar surplus mags.

I'd just as soon trust a brand new Springfield milspec, garrison, Ronin, or loaded as any other handgun.

When I was working at a shop we sold minimal Springfields because my boss had a hard on for Kimber's. People would buy them, then go in the range and complain they couldn't get through a mag or two. We never had that issue with Springfields.
View Quote

In the last 27 years off the top of my head I’ve owned the following guns that had issues:

1 Pre loaded officer size .45. Would not run JHP ammo without gunsmith work.
3 TRPs, all needed new mags and slide stops, to lock back on empty.
3 Loaded or Loaded target .45. Two needed slide stops, one needed a new extractor all needed new mags.
1 Lightweight 5” operator .45, had to go back to the factory for a new ramp/chamber work. So much set back, I was scared to shoot it until it was fixed.
Range Officer 9mm 5”, new extractor to run.
Lightweight Champion Range Officer 9mm. Back to the factory for ramp, chamber work to run.
Range Officer Elite 5” 9mm, back to the factory for ramp/chamber work to run right.
Prodigy 4.25” new extractor, new springs, mags and disconnector to run right.
I have had probably 5 that were I don’t recall having to do anything with other than adjust the extractor.

To Springfields credit everything I have ever sent back came back working fine.

It’s a well known fact that they spring their guns goofy to make them drop safe. They use underpowered recoil springs and overpowered mainsprings. It’s a well known fact that they often have shallow chambers.

I still think they are a great value, however IME, they have QC issues that often need to be corrected at the factory level.

1911s and 2011s I’ve owned that have been flawless out of the box:
2 Staccato Ps
3 Dan Wesson
1 S&W E Series
1 Older Sig
A few Clackamass Kimbers

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I carried a 1911 for almost 20 years and never felt undergunned.  In 2010 I switched to a gun that has a 15 round 9mm capacity (HK)for carry but I still have my 1911s and don't intend on selling them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top