BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is the comparison of home sizes then vs now?
View Quote

Average price per square foot is higher, too
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Maybe if they'd stop buying the latest and greatest iPhone every year and a new $100k truck every three years, they'd be able to afford a mortgage.
View Quote

Wait, you’re telling me 2005 Ford Ranger was worth $100k? Damn I only payed $4k for that thing, I’m a got damn genius.

Typed on my iPhone 11 that’s somehow still kicking.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wait, you're telling me 2005 Ford Ranger was worth $100k? Damn I only payed $4k for that thing, I'm a got damn genius.

Typed on my iPhone 11 that's somehow still kicking.
View Quote
motherfucker.

we got robbed, yo!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
how old are you?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My guidance counselor in '90 said I was nuts to want to join the PD (I had already passed the easy hiring exam) instead of going away to college for 4 years.
View Quote

Federal, state, and city (in that order) government jobs were the golden ticket for a HS kid, and police was the tier one job as you still needed an "in" to get hired.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

"They" were saying the same thing in the 70's, and to a certain extent it was correct. If you weren't born into a trade and apprenticed as a teenager, you went to (in Philly at least) a public Vo-Tech high school with a crap reputation. (although AFAIK, people that were not fuck-ups did manage to successfully get hired into the trades)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. I graduated HS in 1997. They were pushing that shit HARD in the 90s'. Created a whole stigma about the only people that went to tech school were the druggies and losers and poors. I'm still pissed about that bullshit.

"They" were saying the same thing in the 70's, and to a certain extent it was correct. If you weren't born into a trade and apprenticed as a teenager, you went to (in Philly at least) a public Vo-Tech high school with a crap reputation. (although AFAIK, people that were not fuck-ups did manage to successfully get hired into the trades)

You're dealing with a bit of a rigged game there with the unions though. Not as big of an issue in non-union areas where things like CAD, welding, hvac, electrical, electronics, auto mechanics could get a leg up in high school with a trade school and have up to 3 years experience by the time they graduated. By the time folks were graduating college thats up to 7 years of experience in the workforce with little to no debt depending on if they went and maybe got an associates degree in said trade too. By 1990ish tuition really went off the rails.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup Boomers just shut down a tine house community in my county. They own the big houses, didnt build any, and are now gatekeeping to prevent smaller homes from being built.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Houses are bigger. By code. Boomers changed the laws to outlaw starter sized homes anymore. I built just above the smallest house allowed by law, and my house is 1400 sq feet main level. Can't have them poors having small, cheap houses bringing down the property values for those reverse mortgages!

Yup Boomers just shut down a tine house community in my county. They own the big houses, didnt build any, and are now gatekeeping to prevent smaller homes from being built.

What county? I'm in a rural area that developers are trying to put up neighborhoods everywhere to push farmers out. I'm far from a boomer but I'm all for the county preventing subdivisions out in the middle of nowhere with no infrastructure. It might seem good in the short term but in the long term it will ruin rural life. The neighboring county, Banks, is one of the most fucked up I can imagine only beating out ours by a small margin. They seem to be approving developments in places with no ability to support the houses or the resulting traffic which is already a huge mess. On top of that their poor management allowed a landfill to move in that stinks up 1/4 of the county depending on which way the wind is blowing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
motherfucker.

we got robbed, yo!
View Quote

Some days I still miss that truck. Then I remember it was a piece of shit that needed too much damn work to keep it alive.

And that kids is why I only buy Honda and Toyota.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$100k is the new $50k and $50k ain't shit in 2024.

try again, hoss.
View Quote

100k won’t get you into a mansion anymore…but it’s not slumming it either.  Unless you’re in a big city, there’s no reason 100k can’t afford you a decent crash pad, a reliable vehicle, food in the fridge, some savings, and some fun money.  Especially a single person.  Yeah, if you have a family, a second job is going to be needed.  

No doubt, the amount of disposable income has drastically increased due to multiple generations of poor economic policy, but to say 100k ain’t shit is factually incorrect and hyperbole.

I think you’ll find people not making it off 100k have some unrealistic expectations when it comes to lifestyle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Ever notice that those who complain the most about their lives are the ones who are a bit short on intelligence, and somewhat lazy, and just look to blame others?

I think most Gen Z's are doing fairly well, just like most Boomers did at that time of their lives. To often we don't hear from the Z's that are doing well.

I hope that with time and hard work Gen Z will end up one of the greatest generations.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're dealing with a bit of a rigged game there with the unions though. Not as big of an issue in non-union areas where things like CAD, welding, hvac, electrical, electronics, auto mechanics could get a leg up in high school with a trade school and have up to 3 years experience by the time they graduated. By the time folks were graduating college thats up to 7 years of experience in the workforce with little to know debt depending on if they went and maybe got an associates degree in said trade too. By 1990ish tuition really went off the rails.
https://i.imgur.com/J6AkuKS.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. I graduated HS in 1997. They were pushing that shit HARD in the 90s'. Created a whole stigma about the only people that went to tech school were the druggies and losers and poors. I'm still pissed about that bullshit.

You're dealing with a bit of a rigged game there with the unions though. Not as big of an issue in non-union areas where things like CAD, welding, hvac, electrical, electronics, auto mechanics could get a leg up in high school with a trade school and have up to 3 years experience by the time they graduated. By the time folks were graduating college thats up to 7 years of experience in the workforce with little to know debt depending on if they went and maybe got an associates degree in said trade too. By 1990ish tuition really went off the rails.

What’s funny is there isn’t any critical thought on where all that money went. If millennials and Gen Z are paying super high tuition rates, someone is getting paid.

Most of my professors were a certain demographic……
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some days I still miss that truck. Then I remember it was a piece of shit that needed too much damn work to keep it alive.

And that kids is why I only buy Honda and Toyota.
View Quote
i'm thinking of bringing in a 1999 70 series land cruiser pickup.

IYKYK
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
These threads are just so pathetic and I lose so much respect for the younger generations when they whine about low paying jobs or not affording a house. I’m Gen X and I’ve been there. I know how hard my parents worked to afford a home and decent cars. I know how hard I’ve had to work when I was younger. It’s called hustle. I think the current twenty somethings have lost it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Houses back in the day only cost 3x to 4x the average salary. Now it's 7x to 8x.  The same with cars.
View Quote

Don’t be average. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

100k won't get you into a mansion anymore but it's not slumming it either.  Unless you're in a big city, there's no reason 100k can't afford you a decent crash pad, a reliable vehicle, food in the fridge, some savings, and some fun money.  Especially a single person.  Yeah, if you have a family, a second job is going to be needed.  

No doubt, the amount of disposable income has drastically increased due to multiple generations of poor economic policy, but to say 100k ain't shit is factually incorrect and hyperbole.

I think you'll find people not making it off 100k have some unrealistic expectations when it comes to lifestyle.
View Quote
i'm too tired to math it all out for you.

you do you, boo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What's funny is there isn't any critical thought on where all that money went. If millennials and Gen Z are paying super high tuition rates, someone is getting paid.

Most of my professors were a certain demographic  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's funny is there isn't any critical thought on where all that money went. If millennials and Gen Z are paying super high tuition rates, someone is getting paid.

Most of my professors were a certain demographic  
IIRC the stafford loans changed a bit around 88 for student loans and then fanny mae really started popping off in the early 90's as well with some law changes which really started decoupling student loans and mortgages from reality.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guidance counselor in '90 said I was nuts to want to join the PD (I had already passed the easy hiring exam) instead of going away to college for 4 years.
View Quote
did you tell her " You guys think you're above the law... well you ain't above mine!"?
View Quote
It was a dude in his mid to late twenties.
View Quote
And you probably retired before he did.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdOCMsiLpo3eawj9hyy8cln-1qvZ3M02lxm3yUXfo_0Q&s

IYKYK
View Quote

The only thing that could survive being a mine truck right there. Also apparently the mine I’m at is gonna start using autonomous haul trucks so there go more decent paying jobs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9% interest on a $20k house ($530 monthly on TODAY's money) is still cheaper than "starter homes" today.

At the WORST under Carter, 18% gets you $1,085 monthly in today's dollars.

AVERAGE home price 1980 is $47k (or $169k in today's dollars). Today it is $420k.

New home build size roughly doubled from 1970 to 2020. Amenities went up too, from formica to granite and stuff like that, plus less than half of new builds back then even had central a/c.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Must be nice for boomers to grow up in a world where you have to be particularly idiotic to not secure a comfortable retirement, if not actual wealth.

As a millennial, every time I turn around, the economy takes a shit and wealth is erased. Just get out there, 01 crash. Then 08. Then covid recession. Now massive inflation. Combined with there is no SS for us but yet we have to pay for it , yeah, we don't exactly have it easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomers didn't whine and worked hard to move up and get ahead to afford homes, vehicles, families, etc.

The younger generations should be combined and called whiners as they blame everything on others vs. putting in the hard work to get ahead.

Must be nice for boomers to grow up in a world where you have to be particularly idiotic to not secure a comfortable retirement, if not actual wealth.

As a millennial, every time I turn around, the economy takes a shit and wealth is erased. Just get out there, 01 crash. Then 08. Then covid recession. Now massive inflation. Combined with there is no SS for us but yet we have to pay for it , yeah, we don't exactly have it easy.

Really a direct result of your generational (not you personally), and those behind yours, belief in the indoctrination and subsequent voting habits..
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We have to wait until SHTF to throw that switch? Damn I’d do it today for a crisp high five from JLP3 afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When SHTF and we only have enough wind farm and tesla battery energy to charge our phones to post memes and fuck thots in exchange for a cotton candy THC vape refill and some avacado toast or keep the machines running in the ICU and nursing homes guess which switch we're going to throw?

We have to wait until SHTF to throw that switch? Damn I’d do it today for a crisp high five from JLP3 afterwards.

Covid broke many of you, SHTF would pretty much end you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only thing that could survive being a mine truck right there. Also apparently the mine I'm at is gonna start using autonomous haul trucks so there go more decent paying jobs.
View Quote
cot dayum millennials should've learned to code whilst pulling on their bootstraps.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#23]
While on next door I said that I worked 6 days a week for most of my adult life including while I went to college (as did my father) in order to buy the things I wanted.
Someone had the nerve to call me a racist.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doubtful. But keep believing whatever you want.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#25]
They blame boomers, their parents, the gov, everyone but their own lazy asses...   sad....go back to your basement and wait for your parents to die ( hear this a lot from customers pitching about this because mom and dad won't give them their fortune now).
Hopefully they leave everything to someone else else except for the last box of hot pockets and microwave you can't use under the bridge
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They blame boomers, their parents, the gov, everyone but their own lazy asses...   sad....go back to your basement and wait for your parents to die ( hear this a lot from customers pitching about this because mom and dad won't give them their fortune now).
Hopefully they leave everything to someone else else except for the last box of hot pockets and microwave you can't use under the bridge
View Quote
MA

MOAR NACHO CHEESE HOTPOCKETS

AND I NEED MOAR MOUNTAIN DEW AND FLUSHABLE WIPES

MA

THE INTERNET IS MAKING FUN OF ME AGAIN

MA
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Get back to me when house loan interest rates are the same as they were under carter.
View Quote

Facile argument.  Inflated housing prices plus high interest rates did not exist "under carter".
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That wealth didn't really get erased.   It got temporarily deflated, but if you kept your stocks and kept your house, it came roaring back 500%
In fact, that's what caused all the inflation.   All my millennial friends are multi-Millionairs now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomers didn't whine and worked hard to move up and get ahead to afford homes, vehicles, families, etc.

The younger generations should be combined and called whiners as they blame everything on others vs. putting in the hard work to get ahead.

That wealth didn't really get erased.   It got temporarily deflated, but if you kept your stocks and kept your house, it came roaring back 500%
In fact, that's what caused all the inflation.   All my millennial friends are multi-Millionairs now.
Pretty impressive, really. The oldest millennials in 2007 were about 25, so every single one of the millennials you know managing to turn that recession into multiple millions of dollars at ages ranging from 10 to 25 years old is astounding.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

With a 12+ percent interest rate, home computers were rare, no cell phones and one TV per household.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Houses back in the day only cost 3x to 4x the average salary. Now it's 7x to 8x.  The same with cars.

With a 12+ percent interest rate, home computers were rare, no cell phones and one TV per household.

A laptop is like $400 and you can snag a big TV for about $500 right now.

Figure each will last several years and that's a drop in bucket compared to a mortgage.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pretty impressive, really. The oldest millennials in 2007 were about 25, so every single one of the millennials you know managing to turn that recession into multiple millions of dollars at ages ranging 10 to 25 is astounding.
View Quote

you're not the typical billy badass billionaire b**ma MMA fighter tough guy hard case pronstar chef navy squeal GDer who fights the holy war in his shorts and has the harem of hairless below their eyelashes 20 year old yurpean supermodels, broseidon?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Really a direct result of your generational (not you personally), and those behind yours, belief in the indoctrination and subsequent voting habits..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The disconnect here is so amusing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A laptop is like $400 and you can snag a big TV for about $500 right now.

Figure each will last several years and that's a drop in bucket compared to a mortgage.
View Quote
math be hard, yo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The disconnect here is so amusing.
View Quote
gonna be epic when president AOC siezes the b**mas' houses and 401k money to redistribute amongst the poor, the border jumpers, and/or the poor border jumpers.

all that and dem light brown tiddies.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

you're not the typical billy badass billionaire b**ma MMA fighter tough guy hard case pronstar chef navy squeal GDer who fights the holy war in his shorts and has the harem of hairless below their eyelashes 20 year old yurpean supermodels, broseidon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty impressive, really. The oldest millennials in 2007 were about 25, so every single one of the millennials you know managing to turn that recession into multiple millions of dollars at ages ranging 10 to 25 is astounding.

Me: is your cat alive, is he ok?
Schrodinger: ...
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i'm too tired to math it all out for you.

you do you, boo.
View Quote

It’s not because you’re too tired…it’s because you’re wrong.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Me: is your cat alive, is he ok?
Schrodinger: ...
View Quote
gonna be epic when the typical billy badass billionaire b**ma MMA fighter tough guy hard case pronstar chef navy squeal GDer who fights the holy war in his shorts get drafted first for WWIII.

dodge the draft (again)?

not this time, bubba.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's not because you're too tired it's because you're wrong.
View Quote
you're a funny guy.

you can come over to my 1987 toyota van down by the river and fuck my sister.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
gonna be epic when the typical billy badass billionaire b**ma MMA fighter tough guy hard case pronstar chef navy squeal GDer who fights the holy war in his shorts get drafted first for WWIII.

dodge the draft (again)?

not this time, bubba.

View Quote

We’re sending them first since apparently all subsequent generations are too weak to get the job done. They can show us how it’s done and we get to decrease our SS and Medicare spending at the same time. Win win.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
you're a funny guy.

you can come over to my 1987 toyota van down by the river and fuck my sister.
View Quote

Funny and correct
Best of both worlds.

I’m married…if I wanted to disappoint two people, I’d just call my parents.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdOCMsiLpo3eawj9hyy8cln-1qvZ3M02lxm3yUXfo_0Q&s

IYKYK
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

And families had stay at home Mom's, so one household has one salary.  Today many household have two salaries.

3x to 4x the average salary back in the day just happens to be 3x to 4x TWO average salaries today.  The rise of two income households coincidentally matches the increase in average house size.  It is unsurprising that single income families might have trouble competing with their two income counterparts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We're sending them first since apparently all subsequent generations are too weak to get the job done. They can show us how it's done and we get to decrease our SS and Medicare spending at the same time. Win win.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

front lines will be stocked with white new balances and adult diapers and heart meds and so on.

let the conscript b**mas be the first wave for WWIII.

b**mas may have dodged the draft for nam and smoked weed at woodstock instead of going to kill for merica on top of hill 887.

not this time, pal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Funny and correct
Best of both worlds.

I'm married if I wanted to disappoint two people, I'd just call my parents.
View Quote
pics of parents not loading there big shoots.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well  the boomers and their idiots parents did nothing to stop 100 million post 1965 invaders from ruining the country.
View Quote

Well the DEMOCRAT boomers and their idiot DEMOCRAT parents did nothing to stop 100 million post 1965 invaders from ruining the country
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When SHTF and we only have enough wind farm and tesla battery energy to charge our phones to post memes and fuck thots in exchange for a cotton candy THC vape refill and some avacado toast or keep the machines running in the ICU and nursing homes guess which switch we're going to throw?

We have to wait until SHTF to throw that switch? Damn I'd do it today for a crisp high five from JLP3 afterwards.

Laughs in a generation of latch key kid, analog/digital transition, multiple recessions, and 20+ years of forever wars.

Yeah *we're* the soft ones that will suffer.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

All those things only affected millennials?
View Quote

Apparently these economic crashes had no impact on retired boomers.

FWIW: I was Born right on the dividing line between the boomers and Generation X.  I didn't want to be associated with either group as they both were just as big of cry babies as the Millennials and Generation Z have become today.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well the DEMOCRAT boomers and their idiot DEMOCRAT parents did nothing to stop 100 million post 1965 invaders from ruining the country
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well  the boomers and their idiots parents did nothing to stop 100 million post 1965 invaders from ruining the country.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How about taking accountability for your own decisions. GD is fixated on blaming other generations for problems that they place upon themselves.
View Quote

The winning post!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Boomertardianism is very lightly repackaged BLM-type race hustling with age replacing race.

Blame the entire demographic for your problems
Claim the entire demographic conspired and continues to conspire against you via laws and regulations
Tell each other that all hope is lost, there is no way to succeed so all of their fellow crabs stay in the bucket
They're even dabbling in reparations via confiscation and redistribution of wealth

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31782/MLM-3091109.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were they expecting the boomers to sell them their house at a loss? They sound like the BLM types who were lecturing whites to give blacks their houses a few years ago

Boomertardianism is very lightly repackaged BLM-type race hustling with age replacing race.

Blame the entire demographic for your problems
Claim the entire demographic conspired and continues to conspire against you via laws and regulations
Tell each other that all hope is lost, there is no way to succeed so all of their fellow crabs stay in the bucket
They're even dabbling in reparations via confiscation and redistribution of wealth

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31782/MLM-3091109.jpg

That’s exactly what this is.    Tyranny of Low Expectations, on full display.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And families had stay at home Mom's, so one household has one salary.  Today many household have two salaries.

3x to 4x the average salary back in the day just happens to be 3x to 4x TWO average salaries today.  The rise of two income households coincidentally matches the increase in average house size.  It is unsurprising that single income families might have trouble competing with their two income counterparts.
View Quote

Not really.

Median household income 1986: 60,010
Median home price 1986 Q2: 80,700

Median household income 2022: 74,580
Median home price 2022 Q2: 437,700

Source
Source
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top