Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/24/2011 10:59:15 AM EDT

Would 6" of reinforced foam insulated concrete with an outer layer of brick and a "secondary" roof made from 6" thick reinforced concrete be enough to take a direct hit from the types of tornadoes that have been hitting the south and mid-west? If not how thick would the walls need to be?
Also how well would such a house fair against small arms fire upto an incuding .50MBG fire and grenades?

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would 6" of reinforced foam insulated concrete with an outer layer of brick and a "secondary" roof made from 6" thick reinforced concrete be enough to take a direct hit from the types of tornadoes that have been hitting the south and mid-west? If not how thick would the walls need to be?

Also how well would such a house fair against small arms fire upto an incuding .50MBG fire and grenades?

Just build a simpler structure under ground.

Easy answer. No
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Brick veneer would get ripped off.  Even if properly tied to the furring strips.  A 6" concrete roof would likely get ripped off.  

About the only thing that would survive an EF4 would be hemispherical igloo type made with reinforced concrete.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how does that work when your basement is covered in debris(can't get in or out) or is now exposed to sky?

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how does that work when your basement is covered in debris(can't get in or out) or is now exposed to sky?

Have a chainsaw handy.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No idea about the house/tornado specs, but a M2 .50 with a bunch of belts can eat its way through a concrete structure. If you have enough belts, you'll eventually punch a hole through it no matter how thick the concrete is. You could probably punch a hole through the Hoover damn with a M2 .50 and 100K rounds of AP ammo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#7]
A big part of storm hardening a structure is securing the roof to the foundation.

Because once the roof structure flies off, the walls fall in like a house of cards.

But at 200 mph winds, aerodynamics would probably also be needed, like said above.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Concrete Igloo with 40' deep pilings holding it down
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a chainsaw handy.

Groovy solution.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#12]
People get the misconception that it's the wind from a tornado that destroys houses and property. In most cases, it's not the wind, but wind-launched missiles, such as cars, propane tanks, trees and other construction debris. To build a truly tornado-proof structure, you'd have to design it to withstand the impact of missiles weighing a couple of tons traveling at up to 70 MPH. That works out to a metric buttload of energy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a chainsaw handy.

I have 2 chainsaws at home, and neither one is worth a shit cutting concrete.  
I do have a tool here at work, called a quickie saw, which with the proper blade, will cut concrete.  You will die from the dust, if you're trapped inside though.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Brick veneer would get ripped off.  Even if properly tied to the furring strips.  A 6" concrete roof would likely get ripped off.  

About the only thing that would survive an EF4 would be hemispherical igloo type made with reinforced concrete.

We have one of those "igloo" homes down by my parents.  I'll have to take a picture of it and post it up.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Think of everything around your structure hitting your structure at over 70mph.

Pretty tough to design around that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#17]
It is probably better to just build a bunker under ground level instead of a super hardened above ground structure. Either way, it is a ton of resources and money preparing for an event that has a very low probability of actually occurring. I think the best solution is a underground storm cellar offset from a regular ole house.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Ever see the video of the jet crashing into the side of the nuclear power plant, or whatever it was?

Build it like that.

It'll work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INY5RCzhbjw
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#19]

camouflage

if done right, the tornado will never see it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just Google "underground house".

They're literally (most of the time, anyway) built into the side of a hill. The roof is part of the yard & the only wall exposed is the one where your door is.

But even this isn't foolproof. It can still be damaged.

And the idea of building a "tornado proof" house is far fetched anyway, unless you want to live in something like the "Fuher Bunker" or a decommissioned missile silo.

I don't know.... I grew up in SW Iowa & we had our share of tornadoes all the time I lived there & everybody seemed to get along fine hunkering down in their basements or in the root cellar in the backyard......
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A big part of storm hardening a structure is securing the roof to the foundation.

Because once the roof structure flies off, the walls fall in like a house of cards.

But at 200 mph winds, aerodynamics would probably also be needed, like said above.

Not to mention the pressure variances that happen in a tornado.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#24]
What about the pressre drop (on humans)?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I always thought this looked interesting !

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the pressure variances that happen in a tornado.

You'd need some 'oh shit' vents.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I live about 1 mile south of the path of the F5 that his N.Bama recently. The one that killed 78 people

I see the destruction it caused daily, and it makes it hard for me to believe a conventionally styled structure could survive an f5 hit. I have seen H-girders made from 1 inch steel twisted into pretzels, 100 year old trees ripped out of the ground roots and all, reinforced concrete structures crumbled. I have not seen it, but they say their are even places where the twister peeled the asphalt right off the highway. In short, destructive power that is hard to even comprehend.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#29]
"It's not THAT the wind is blowing....it's WHAT the wind is blowing" - Ron White
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

camouflage

if done right, the tornado will never see it.

You're an f'ing genius!  

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They're literally (most of the time, anyway) built into the side of a hill. The roof is part of the yard & the only wall exposed is the one where your door is.

And the idea of building a "tornado proof" house is far fetched anyway, unless you want to live in something like the "Fuher Bunker" or a decommissioned missile silo.

I don't know.... I grew up in SW Iowa & we had our share of tornadoes all the time I lived there & everybody seemed to get along fine hunkering down in their basements or in the root cellar in the backyard......

Most tornadoes in the Midwest will be approaching from the west.  If your one wall was facing the east, the structure would be more survivable.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ahh, you mean a Monolithic Concrete Dome Home!

http://www.monolithic.com/topics/homes
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have not seen it, but they say their are even places where the twister peeled the asphalt right off the highway. In short, destructive power that is hard to even comprehend.

I've seen pictures of aftermath like this.
Asphalt roads peeled-up like banana skins... and brick/block structures stripped completely off the concrete foundation.

I'm absolutely convinced... the ONLY safe place to be during a powerful tornado is UNDERGROUND in a reinforced bunker.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#36]
A tornado that hit about 30 miles north of here a few years back - all the houses were gong - including the foundations.  In one case the foundation was still there - but the tornado took the toilet.

Root cellar/bomb shelter are more rationally approaches.  Insurance will replace the house.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Imagine an orbital sander. Now imagine it 200' in diameter. Now imagine running the giant orbital sander and dragging it across the ground at 35 MPH for a few miles. That's the sort of deal you get with an F5 on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

A tornado that hit about 30 miles north of here a few years back - all the houses were gong - including the foundations. In one case the foundation was still there - but the tornado took the toilet.

Root cellar/bomb shelter are more rationally approaches. Insurance will replace the house.

Not during TEOTWAWKI or a zombie attack which is what I'm trying to hypothetically design for.

Maybe building in a place not prone to tornadoes is a better idea. I just figured if I could build a structure that could withstand one I'd be good to go for when the zombies come.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Wiki:
A pressure deficit of 100 millibars (2.95 inHg) was observed when a violent tornado near Manchester, South Dakota on June 24, 2003 passed directly over an in-situ probe. In less than a minute the pressure dropped to 850 millibars (25.10 inHg), which is the lowest pressure ever recorded at the Earth's surface when adjusted to sea level.[16]

I would imagine that the human body would have some problems if it had to endure 25" of mercury for any legth of time.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It is probably better to just build a bunker under ground level instead of a super hardened above ground structure. Either way, it is a ton of resources and money preparing for an event that has a very low probability of actually occurring. I think the best solution is a underground storm cellar offset from a regular ole house.

There's a man who knows what he's talking about.  From Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Wiki:

A pressure deficit of 100 millibars (2.95 inHg) was observed when a violent tornado near Manchester, South Dakota on June 24, 2003 passed directly over an in-situ probe. In less than a minute the pressure dropped to 850 millibars (25.10 inHg), which is the lowest pressure ever recorded at the Earth's surface when adjusted to sea level.[16]

I would imagine that the human body would have some problems if it had to endure 25" of mercury for any legth of time.

I think the pressure at the top of Mount Everest is much lower than that.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Underground bunker with primary exit...secondary exit of 3' or 4' diameter concrete drain tunneled away from bunker.  Simple.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright what part of SW Iowa?  My family fared over near Emerson

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't be a pussy, ride that bitch.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Think of everything around your structure hitting your structure at over 70mph.

Pretty tough to design around that.

Surround the structure with tall steel pipes?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I would build the house in an area that doesn't have tornados.  

simple solutions and all that.............
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#49]

The F5 here in AL a few weeks ago peeled asphalt up off the ground and, in places, moved topsoil and sod. I'd want to be below grade. Completely.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright what part of SW Iowa?  My family fared over near Emerson  

Rural Union County. I claim Lorimor as my hometown, but I've got family scattered all around the county/area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top