Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2024 7:12:43 PM EDT
The Covid-19 pandemic would be a wake-up call for America, advocates for the elderly predicted: incontrovertible proof that the nation wasn't doing enough to care for vulnerable older adults.

The death toll was shocking, as were reports of chaos in nursing homes and seniors suffering from isolation, depression, untreated illness, and neglect. Around 900,000 older adults have died of Covid-19 to date, accounting for 3 of every 4 Americans who have perished in the pandemic.

But decisive actions that advocates had hoped for haven't materialized. Today, most people   and government officials   appear to accept Covid as a part of ordinary life. Many seniors at high risk aren't getting antiviral therapies for Covid, and most older adults in nursing homes aren't getting updated vaccines. Efforts to strengthen care quality in nursing homes and assisted living centers have stalled amid debate over costs and the availability of staff. And only a small percentage of people are masking or taking other precautions in public despite a new wave of covid, flu, and respiratory syncytial virus infections hospitalizing and killing seniors.

In the last week of 2023 and the first two weeks of 2024 alone, 4,810 people 65 and older lost their lives to Covid   a group that would fill more than 10 large airliners   according to data provided by the CDC. But the alarm that would attend plane crashes is notably absent. (During the same period, the flu killed an additional 1,201 seniors, and RSV killed 126.)

"It boggles my mind that there isn't more outrage," said Alice Bonner, 66, senior adviser for aging at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. "I'm at the point where I want to say, 'What the heck? Why aren't people responding and doing more for older adults?'"

It's a good question. Do we simply not care?

IBTM

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The Covid-19 pandemic would be a wake-up call for America, advocates for the elderly predicted: incontrovertible proof that the nation wasn't doing enough to care for vulnerable older adults.

The death toll was shocking, as were reports of chaos in nursing homes and seniors suffering from isolation, depression, untreated illness, and neglect. Around 900,000 older adults have died of Covid-19 to date, accounting for 3 of every 4 Americans who have perished in the pandemic.

But decisive actions that advocates had hoped for haven't materialized. Today, most people   and government officials   appear to accept Covid as a part of ordinary life. Many seniors at high risk aren't getting antiviral therapies for Covid, and most older adults in nursing homes aren't getting updated vaccines. Efforts to strengthen care quality in nursing homes and assisted living centers have stalled amid debate over costs and the availability of staff. And only a small percentage of people are masking or taking other precautions in public despite a new wave of covid, flu, and respiratory syncytial virus infections hospitalizing and killing seniors.

In the last week of 2023 and the first two weeks of 2024 alone, 4,810 people 65 and older lost their lives to Covid   a group that would fill more than 10 large airliners   according to data provided by the CDC. But the alarm that would attend plane crashes is notably absent. (During the same period, the flu killed an additional 1,201 seniors, and RSV killed 126.)

"It boggles my mind that there isn't more outrage," said Alice Bonner, 66, senior adviser for aging at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. "I'm at the point where I want to say, 'What the heck? Why aren't people responding and doing more for older adults?'"

It's a good question. Do we simply not care?

IBTM

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/688/917/f1e.jpg
View Quote
Y’all cared about old people dying to begin with?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
They didn't seem to care when Cuomo sent seniors to death camps.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Wuflu or the killer clawt shawt?

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
They didn't call it the Boomer Remover for nothing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Y'all cared about old people dying to begin with?
View Quote
man, not gonna lie:

this time four years ago after they sent us home from work i was watching the "contagion" documentary whilst sitting on my living room floor and loading every glock and AK mag i own and just waiting for shit to pop off.

Contagion (2011) Official Exclusive 1080p HD Trailer

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wuflu or the killer clawt shawt?

View Quote
yes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
PUREBLOOD MASTER RACE CHECKING IN!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
No better way to make them reliable democrat voters than to put them in the ground.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Wait, I though all of those seniors were immunized?
How are they dying of something they have immunity too?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought they said the vaccines work
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Who's still peddling this bullshit?

I predicted four years ago that once they started the "dying with a positive test" garbage that nursing homes would be perpetual death factories. Not in reality, just in how they are attributed.

I am glad people accept that sickly people who are well past their life expectancy - to the point of being incapable of caring for themselves - do in fact die regularly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wait, I though all of those seniors were immunized?
How are they dying of something they have immunity too?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Why should we care about this cause of death any more than any other cause of death?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty sure saving social security was one of the value propositions behind funding Fauci's gain of function research

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
@eagarminuteman

went like this:

JLP3, limping past the front desk possibly never to return, talking to one of the hot 23 year old chicks at work:  welp, we might all get sick and die but i might finally be able to afford a house!

she laughed.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I think far more young adults are dying of the clot shots.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Do we simply not care?

Nope

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Y’all cared about old people dying to begin with?
View Quote

It's even funnier coming from a place that came up with "What round for grandpa?"
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pretty sure saving social security was one of the value propositions behind funding Fauci's gain of function research
View Quote
as the great warrior poet @FightingHellfish once mused: "I'm still mad the fucking half-assed Chinese did such a lackadaisical job with  that gain-of-function contract on Covid. You pay those bastards good money to balance Social Security and fix immigration and we get the sniffles."
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#23]
My grandfather was hospitalized for it for a month. Fortunately he beat it and is back home. He's also 94 and it's naive to think something won't get him eventually.

GD would love him though. Korean War B29 pilot, then went to fly for Eastern airlines. Flew FiFi for a long time for the CAF. Flew that plane for the movie "The Right Stuff". And his lifelong friend was Paul Tibbets, pilot of the Enola Gay.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#24]
How many of those deaths would have been classified as traditional flu deaths before 2020?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@eagarminuteman

went like this:

JLP3, limping past the front desk possibly never to return, talking to one of the hot 23 year old chicks at work:  welp, we might all get sick and die but i might finally be able to afford a house!

she laughed.

View Quote

I shudder to imagine who will brag about spending my OT money with blurry vertical photos of side-by-sides and commuter cars when the boomers are all gone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
 one of the hot 23 year old chicks at work:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#27]

No shit, I work with fat guys and post-wall women.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I shudder to imagine who will brag about spending my OT money with blurry vertical photos of side-by-sides and commuter cars when the boomers are all gone.
View Quote
goddamn.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#29]

On the plus side, maybe the incorrect use of "you're" will decrease internet-wide.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No shit, I work with fat guys and post-wall women.
View Quote
oh we got plenty of those too.

i just choose not to talk to any of them.

JLP3 seeing the 300-lb women lumbering toward him:  i, uh, i gotta go.  i'll see ya later.

note: i was chatting with Karla the engineer one day and one of the 300 pounders saw me chatting with Karla.

300 pounder later said to me, she said:  if Karla was middle aged, overweight, and unattractive you'd never talk to her would you?

JLP3: um...
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#31]
So the vaccine didn't work?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

On the plus side, maybe the incorrect use of "you're" will decrease internet-wide.
View Quote

Doubtful lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
YOUR WROKING SOME OT FOR ME RIGHT SONNY BOI?

*whistling denture noises*
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#34]
No, it's better not to care.  The cost benefit calculation says we made a huge mistake.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
man, not gonna lie:

this time four years ago after they sent us home from work i was watching the "contagion" documentary whilst sitting on my living room floor and loading every glock and AK mag i own and just waiting for shit to pop off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sYSyuuLk5g
View Quote

I think you’ve got your time line off just a bit.

The mass stay at home and business closures didn’t start until after the NBA canceled their season on March 11, 2020. Then New York started canceling events on March 12. I know because that was the day my tour ended and I was in Syracuse, NY that day and we had to stop our load-in about 2 hours after we came back from lunch.

Were close to 4 years, but still have a couple of weeks left.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#36]
We don’t care. Look at the flu mortality numbers. Nobody cares about those either.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
YOUR WROKING SOME OT FOR ME RIGHT SONNY BOI?

*whistling denture noises*
View Quote

WITH INTEREST!11!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
man, not gonna lie:
View Quote

The most realistic part of that move was when they opened up Gwyneth Paltrow's skull and found most of her brain missing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So the vaccine didn't work?
View Quote

It did!
It was so effective it completely eradicated the flu for those years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

WITH INTEREST!11!
View Quote
what i'm owed

(firmly fastens velcro straps on white NBs)

WITH INTEREST
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I just haven't been seeing any significant deaths in geriatric patients for atleast the past two years .
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

WITH INTEREST!11!
View Quote

I NEED MY

GOT

DAYUM

INTEREST
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Settle down! We will care when we are in the grips of the election and they can force mail in ballots!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Last year, over 15,000 seasoned citizens died of the flu .  To put it bluntly, America didn't give a shit about them, either.

Death and disease are a part of life.  COVID has joined the long list of things that can kill old people.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#45]
It's just "news" stories started and promulgated by vax makers - most likely Moderna - that aren't seeing the $$ from what they thought would be a forever vaccine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#46]
How are we supposed to know that is happening?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The most realistic part of that move was when they opened up Gwyneth Paltrow's skull and found most of her brain missing.
View Quote
as i was watching the documentary i realized i'd be one of the guys called up to run heavy equipment during mass grave operations outside of the sportsball stadium turned hospital.

i'd be listening to samantha fish whilst i'm doing it, too, seeing that i am a very bad man.

SAMANTHA FISH "GONE FOR GOOD" !!! SUPERSONIC OIL CAN GUITAR

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They didn't seem to care when Cuomo sent seniors to death camps.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just haven't been seeing any significant deaths in geriatric patients for atleast the past two years .
View Quote

You're not going to become a "source" or "expert" like that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Odd these covid doomsayers never get angry at our government for funding a Chinese Bio-warfare lab and creating covid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top