Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice briefcase?
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If she is religious, this is something probably more on the meaningful side than expensive that she might hang in her office among other gifts of course. Saw this at one my doctors office.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243644/IMG_1970_jpeg-2906475.JPG
View Quote
My wife framed this for me when I graduated. Not this exact format, but this poem.

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Definately needs to read that book, if she hasn't already!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congratulations! Gift her one of these Littmann Cardiology stethoscopes, tier 1. Definitely personalize it with engraving. This will be her most used tool that she will need everyday. Buy a spare parts kit also.
Littmann Cardiology stethoscope

A copy of The House of God by Samual Shem
The House of God

Definately needs to read that book, if she hasn't already!

MBH alum here. Concur.

She won’t need a reflex hammer. That’s why stethoscope bells exist.

A watch is a nice gift. My parents and in-laws gave me a watch for graduation. The movers stole it from our belongings when I finished residency.

If you want a humorous gift to go with your nice gift, give her a box of safety pins. She’ll get the joke. (Neurologists poke people with needles or broken tongue depressors to check for sharp sensation)
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice briefcase?
View Quote

This is what I got my brother. Full leather.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's true, but you still sign a lot of stuff. I have a custom turned wood pen that regularly gets comments from people, especially woodworkers. It takes Pilot G2 gel reloads. So I just buy a box of G2s and refill as needed. Having a nice pen to write with is one of those small niceties you notice over and over. It's like when Harry Potter picked up the Phoenix core wand in Ollivander's. Or when you pick up a Snap-On 3/8 flex-head ratchet which costs 20X what you paid for the sloppy ratchet in the cheapo pack from Autozone.
View Quote

I have no idea what you said after pen.

But yeah, you do tend to sign a lot of BS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
For the neurologist who don't need no neurosurgery consult:

https://www.appalachianodditieswv.com/product/trephaning-set/294
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My youngest daughter is starting her 4th year of medical school. I want to get her something meaningful to commemorate graduation next year but haven't the foggiest idea what that might be. And no, paying off her student loans is not an option.

Budget would be up to $1,000. Any insight would be appreciated.
View Quote

Quoted:
My brother graduated two years ago and is now starting his 3rd year of pathology. He didn't need a stethoscope. He'll never use one again. Also, bear in mind that residents usually have to move, perhaps again for fellowship and then their first job. Don't load them up with big things that are hard to move.

My brother is a huge fan of Christopher Nolan, particularly Inception. I bought him one of these. It's Dom's token. Yeah, it has nothing to do with medicine. But it's small, fun to play with and pretty unique.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95402/Top-2906157.png

drsalee's idea of a nameplate/badge of some kind is a good idea.

And a copy of The House of God. Dated, but still spot on, especially Internal Medicine rounds, and she'll do a lot of those in neurology. Also, if she doesn't have it already, this is the preferred reflex hammer in neurology. Don't get one of those cheap, crappy tomahawk style.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fprestige-tools.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F07%2FBabinski-Percussion-Hammer.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b0b11156542a54e6da267c77425b69eea93007d86eb07c7956ff908a97e89b4c&ipo=images

Finally, ask @C-4, who is a neurologist.
View Quote

@Citizen_8135
@Sartorius

I would get her a nice leather doctor’s bag for all her tools ie. stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning forks, pins, etc.  They sell some that are more “feminine”.  I’d budget ~ $150 to $200, but it could be more or less.  Something like this style.  Enlist your wife or a female friend to search for something a woman would like.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/242213696/vintage-style-handmade-dip-dye-leather

Those are good reflex hammers but I use this one.  You need a long arc to get a good tendon stretch

https://www.amazon.com/MDF-Neurological-superficial-responses-Free-Parts/dp/B002DW12NC

Also buy disposable Medi Pins to test sensation rather than safety pins which no one cleans and can spread disease.

She will figure it out on her own, but tell her to be a neuro-hospitalist.  In-patient shift work in a hospital only.  She has fixed hours, makes great money, usually works one week on, one week off.  NO long-term, out-patient clinic.  The latter will eat her alive.  

Another option is to do a Sleep Medicine fellowship after her neurology residency and work in a sleep lab but NO on call at the hospital.  It’s outpatient medicine but very specialized.

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shoes? Medics, nurses, docs, etc. spend MANY MANY hours on their feet; good shoes are a necessity. Perhaps some support stockings, too.
View Quote

ETA
Get 2 or more pairs; she can wear one pair while the other dries out. Shoes can get VERY funky, as you know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the most boomer post I've ever read.  Get her a dashpass giftcard so she can eat, or cash.

stethescope-she has one
coat-residency gives you several
pens,watches, plaques- no one her age cares about this stuff, and she probably won't have an office...I've never had an actual "office" in 12 years
some neurologists get into the "bag" of tuning forks, cinnamon and a feather (IFKYK), but most women don't
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Needs the head mirror

Amazon Product
  • A brand-new, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable)

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top