Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm just here for pictures of the cylinder carnage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#2]
$85 a hole is pretty steep in my opinion.

I get cylinders done at my local machine shop for $35 each, if I was getting 3 done it would be even less per hole.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the bad piston. I'm actually not sure anymore why this one burned down. I thought originally it was due to the oil line coming off, but that was the other motor (which needs 2 pistons, though neither as bad as this one). I haven't gotten into the bottom end yet (can't get the fly wheel off), so maybe the problem is in there, like a bad pto seal.

Anyways, here's the bad piston. It was actually running OK, glad I decided to tear it down.

That last pic
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a hell of a nice hole in that thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Guy picked the right time to sell it apparently.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe the scoring is from all the missing material in the dome?

Seems the scoring is a symptom of something else.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#7]
does it have Nikasil lining?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

does it have Nikasil lining?
View Quote
Just the old iron sleeve in cast aluminum.

I see why Yamaha went to Nikasil later on. The 1999 Yamaha SRX700 I just rebuilt had the pto cylinder suck in some mouse nest debris. Piston was scratched up pretty good, but the cylinder bore looked fine. Didn't even send it to get replated, just threw new stock bore pistons in it.

edit and that was with 11,000 miles on original pistons and rings. Compression was even >120 in all 3 cylinders until this year and the mouse nest.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the scoring is all vertical, very lightly hone to make sure there isn't any aluminum stuck to the bore and put a new piston and rings in it.  It will run just fine like this.
View Quote
Kind of what I was thing, but I not engine builder ether. I raced quads and they all only had piston. Lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Arfcom be all experts, but they aren't.  Yes, you can bore one cylinder and it won't cause a problem.  Won't be off balance, or breathe wrong or whatever the fuck else Arftards dream up.  If you are using factory pistons, a .010, .020, .030, etc. should all weigh the same.  That way when it is overbored and larger diameter piston installed it won't be off balance.  Aftermarket, who knows.  If the cylinder is not deeply scored you may be able to hone it to get it smoothed out and just put back in the stock piston, new one of course.
View Quote
Thank you.

AB
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lean condition, or detonation.

AB
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So nobody is going to let the OP know that snowmobiles have engines......not motors .  well at least last time I checked the market for electric snowmobiles is pretty slim.
Yes my Friday drinking has already begun
View Quote
You know something.... This has bugged me for years.  Thank you Philepe for this.

There is a difference between a motor and an engine.

"Motorcycle" and "Outboard Motor" notwithstanding.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top