Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
in before the thread gets locked for...reasons
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The man's a complete fool. How do you get into a position of advising the administration, and you, literally, don't know what you are talking about?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That can’t be fucking real.

It's not.

I think we are all waiting for your explanation…
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's not.
View Quote

Thank God!!

But they aren’t much smarter than that fake video makes out when you start talking MMT.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why borrow from the Federal Reserve?  You can print your own currency. It’s called the treasury. That’s who’s supposed to be in charge of our money. The treasury should be loaning to the Federal Reserve. BUT!!!! You can’t just print money for fun like we are doing. There needs to be metrics to follow. Like actual gold and silver reserves. GDP, population growth, working class demographics, mineral and other natural resources. World wide economic conditions. Etc… The money supply needs to be able to grow with demand and growth of the working class. Why I’m not the gold bug I used to be. Gold can’t keep up with the changes in the economy. But it does need to be there in some aspect as a real store of value. To help keep stability in a currency. In my mind the real currency in a nation is its workers. Currency is just a means of exchange that the laborers can agree to exchange their labor for. Therefore the ability of the workers to create, needs a currency that can keep up with their ability to produce.
But we have it backwards thanks to Jeckyl island. My opinion. The Treasury should lend to banks who lend to people. Not the treasury borrowing from the banks.
View Quote

Your post confuses me.  

Why is gold a "store of value"?  It's a shiny yellow metal with not a lot of industrial uses compared to other things.  Why does it have any special value?  Why not aluminum, which is much more useful?  Or, iron?  Or plastic, which is in everything?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The Department of the Treasury records U.S. Government owned gold reserve at the values stated in 31 USC § 5116-5117 (statutory rate) which is $42.2222 per Fine Troy Ounce of gold.

What if it went to market value?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m no economist (neither is he apparently), but it seems to me if the government printed all the money they ‘needed’ without ‘borrowing’ it, the money would be worthless since no value was associated with it.  Free money that you print yourself is worthless to others.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Department of the Treasury records U.S. Government owned gold reserve at the values stated in 31 USC § 5116-5117 (statutory rate) which is $42.2222 per Fine Troy Ounce of gold.

What if it went to market value?
View Quote

If it went to market value, it would be just like any other commodity and the value would fluctuate daily, and it would no longer be a benchmark with which to measure the value of, say, a USD.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

the woman too - "why borrow it if we can print it?" - are you fucking kidding me?  If there's an unlimited supply, where does its value come from?
View Quote
Lol

Its only value is people closing their eyes and believing it still has value.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m no economist (neither is he apparently), but it seems to me if the government printed all the money they ‘needed’ without ‘borrowing’ it, the money would be worthless since no value was associated with it.  Free money that you print yourself is worthless to others.  

View Quote

Unless someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to take it. We'll get there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This can't be real. Deep fake???  Please tell me this is fake .
View Quote

It would seem he is being asked to explain MMT.... not defend it.

Not trying to cover for him. He still seemed in over his head.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
They know exactly what they're doing. Their goal is to destroy the middle class and economy as a whole. They want two classes, the rich and us serfs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lol

Its only value is people closing their eyes and believing it still has value.
View Quote

That's true of all currencies for all time.  If faith is gone, the currency turns to sh*t.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's true of all currencies for all time.  If faith is gone, the currency turns to sh*t.
View Quote

Yeah in think even gold. Which is rare but still has pretty limited utility.

SHTF commerce will be like trading 5 steaks for 4 lbs of rice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I expected bullshit.

I didn't expect that level of incompetence.

Holy fuck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I were king of America, a balanced budget decree would be on the day 1 short list.

That said, selling bonds to overcome budgetary shortfalls is probably less bad than simply printing dollars to make up the difference.
View Quote

A balanced budget decree can be a two edged sword. The easiest way to guarantee a balanced budget is to increase taxes to cover shortfalls. Taxes would skyrocket if there was any shortfall. There would need to be finely crafted punishment for any budget problems.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]

That needs biden shopped in the right in the center.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's true for everything you "own". It's only worth what someone else is willing to give you for it.
View Quote

Bingo.  We have a winner.  However, it has to be valued in something common to everyone, and in which they have faith.  Hence, a currency.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#20]

That needs biden shopped in the right in the center.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I expected bullshit.

I didn't expect that level of incompetence.

Holy fuck.
View Quote

They’re not incompetent. They use it as a shield for their evil. Look at FBHO?  We were all screaming his incompetence during those years. They are smart, they are competent.

Buy still cunningly evil.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Let me help the gentleman out.  Here's how the modern monetary system works.

Dumb & Dumber -- Empty Suitcase of Money

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#23]
They uh buy bonds

You know , the thing
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup.

Why even have taxes then?
View Quote

Your money is lit on fire. It's like crypto burn , it ensures it has value because the government keeps taking it away.

Smoke and mirrors.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If it went to market value, it would be just like any other commodity and the value would fluctuate daily, and it would no longer be a benchmark with which to measure the value of, say, a USD.
View Quote

An early 1970s gold price is not a usable benchmark, except possibly to compare to other early 1970s prices.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#26]
That man has never picked up anything heavier than a pencil
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

An early 1970s gold price is not a usable benchmark, except possibly to compare to other early 1970s prices.
View Quote

Agreed, but who gets to re-set the price, and when, and why should we trust them?  What is the "correct" price, and why?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The money supply needs to be able to grow with demand and growth of the working class. Why I’m not the gold bug I used to be. Gold can’t keep up with the changes in the economy.

View Quote

@1cheapshot

Explain to me like I'm five why:

1. Gold cannot keep up with changes in the economy? Gold has an anual inflation rate of 3-4%.

2. An elastic money supply that can be expanded and contracted at the whim of the government is good?

3. A finite supply of a commodity shouldn't back our fiat currency?

4. How is inflation not theft?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They uh buy bonds

You know , the thing
View Quote

So yeah we print the money and people buy the money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@1cheapshot

Explain to me like I'm five why:

1. Gold cannot keep up with changes in the economy? Gold has an anual inflation rate of 3-4%.

2. An elastic money supply that can be expanded and contracted at the whim of the government is good?

3. A finite supply of a commodity shouldn't back our fiat currency?

4. How is inflation not theft?
View Quote
It has to do with the Eurodollar system, which is just a fancy way of saying there can be more promises to pay in Dollars (or gold, or anything else) than there are dollars to meet that demand.  Take this example.

Assume an economy with a total of $100,000 in gold coins circulating as currency. Joe puts his money in the bank, the bank lends 90% of it to Lou to start a business. Lou is building boats, he promises to pay his suppliers at the end of the year in gold that he hopes to make when he sells the boat. Sam is going to buy Lou's boat, with gold he hopes to have on hand at the end of the year when the boat is ready. With everyone doing that, there are $1,000,000 promises to pay in gold and $100,000 in circulation. This is fine unless there is a recession/depression, in which case the entire thing collapses, bank runs, etc. The idea is that with fiat currency, the Federal Reserve can be the lender of last resort to keep key institutions, like major banks, solvent until the economy improves.

And yes, inflation = taxation and taxation = theft, but it is a question of tradeoffs.  The big fear is deflation, as in the past it leads to economic collapse in a similar manner. End producers of goods go insolvent because they have to lower prices, they lay off people, then their suppliers do the same, etc. and it cascades. We'll see if this theory holds as China is currently experiencing deflation.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That can’t be fucking real.
View Quote

We are waiting for the market to crash any day now for no reason......

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:50:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Why is this at all surprising? If he’s a cabinet member it’s just a political reward sweet gig.   What did Buttigieg know about transportation or whatever he’s in charge of?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#35]
The reality is that the US govt doesn't really borrow that much money. It is all a slight of hand.

Sure the treasury prints and sells bonds to fund the continuing deficit and refinance the debt, and some are actually sold to people, investment groups and foreign govts.

But the fed reserve 'buys' the majority of US treasury debt when nobody else will buy it at the rates the treasury wants. The fed reserve 'owns' the majority of the US debt. Since the fed reserve creates US dollars at will, never gets audited, and doesn't need a return on investment ( because they create dollars at will and never get audited so no need to get their capital  back ) the fed reserve isn't really buying it or investing, the fed reserve creates the money to buy the treasury debt and the fed reserve is more like a black hole where that debt can go and never needs to see the light of day. So in reality, the US just prints the dollars it needs ( but it is printed by the fed reserve which is called a bank but it is neither a bank nor is it federal ) it is a slight of hand and fools a lot of people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That can't be fucking real.
View Quote
https://findingmoneyfilm.com/

from this movie, just being released.

https://findingmoneyfilm.com/faqs/
This is pretty good.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Your post confuses me.  

Why is gold a "store of value"?  It's a shiny yellow metal with not a lot of industrial uses compared to other things.  Why does it have any special value?  Why not aluminum, which is much more useful?  Or, iron?  Or plastic, which is in everything?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why borrow from the Federal Reserve?  You can print your own currency. It’s called the treasury. That’s who’s supposed to be in charge of our money. The treasury should be loaning to the Federal Reserve. BUT!!!! You can’t just print money for fun like we are doing. There needs to be metrics to follow. Like actual gold and silver reserves. GDP, population growth, working class demographics, mineral and other natural resources. World wide economic conditions. Etc… The money supply needs to be able to grow with demand and growth of the working class. Why I’m not the gold bug I used to be. Gold can’t keep up with the changes in the economy. But it does need to be there in some aspect as a real store of value. To help keep stability in a currency. In my mind the real currency in a nation is its workers. Currency is just a means of exchange that the laborers can agree to exchange their labor for. Therefore the ability of the workers to create, needs a currency that can keep up with their ability to produce.
But we have it backwards thanks to Jeckyl island. My opinion. The Treasury should lend to banks who lend to people. Not the treasury borrowing from the banks.

Your post confuses me.  

Because that was what was decided on.

Aluminum is used in pennies these days, just like copper used to be, but a copper penny is worth more in copper than a penny is worth, so now they use aluminum which is cheaper.

The biggest question is why is most money made of paper today, because it started as an easy way to carry money and you could trade it in for heavy gold or silver. Then all of a sudden you could not. Paper is used because it is very cheap, although it is getting to the point that the paper used in a dollar bill and the process make that dollar bill is almost cost more than the dollar bill is worth, so eventually it will be made of plastic or maybe just not made anymore.

During the revolution, the newly declared United States of America no longer had backing of money from the crown and they had no gold or silver so they printed Continental Dollars out of paper to fund the revolution. 4 years alter the a blank piece of paper the size of the Continental Dollar was worth more money than the dollar that it made. As a result, the Constitution gave authority to the treasury to 'coin money is silver and gold'. Independent banks created paper money that you could trade for gold and silver at their bank. Then the fed reserve was created to create federal notes that you could also trade for silver and gold, so it almost met the authority as spelled out in the constitution and then like everything govt, it eventually crept to the paper notes being backed by nothing instead of gold and silver ( which cost money to mine, refine and stamp  so the volume was limited by time and expense ) and inflation took off. back when the US treasury minted $5 and $20 gold coins, those coins kept they monetary value because there was little to no inflation due to a very finite amount of gold and silver available so the money supply grew very slowly because they needed to have the gold and silver. Today the money supply grows by strokes on a keyboard, there is little expense or time involved in expanding the money supply so inflation is rampant and considered normal. It is not normal is it a wealth distribution system that favors a select group of people, the people that get the new money first before that new money dilutes the value of the rest of the money.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top